PDA

View Full Version : When/If Steam Greenlight: Would you be willing to start fresh?

Divide
02-11-15, 04:30
A random thought about the progression of NC as it pertains to fresh blood-- If a Steam Greenlight release were to occur, would you be willing to swallow a pill and show up for "day 1 re-re-re-re-release" as a 0/2?

Odimara Orca
02-11-15, 07:42
A random thought about the progression of NC as it pertains to fresh blood-- If a Steam Greenlight release were to occur, would you be willing to swallow a pill and show up for "day 1 re-re-re-re-release" as a 0/2?

No.

:<

AlvaroT
02-11-15, 11:45
Steam-ready Neocrack would be completely different game probably, so why not.

Odimara Orca
02-11-15, 12:00
Steam-ready Neocrack would be completely different game probably, so why not.

Couple of points:

- It would still be free. So why go 2 slot when you can still make multiple Accounts?

- The people who stuck with the game through the "sad tiems" should not be punished yet again by another reset.

- Having high lvl people around makes getting gear, information and clan membership way, way easier for beginners to attain.

- There is no content creep like in other MMO's. Everything a maxed out char currently has is reachable for a beginner in a reasonable amount of time. So a reset is in no way necessary.

- NST has confirmend: Titan is meant to stay.

bobhoskins
02-11-15, 17:11
Definately not, unless they had 10x Exp Gain for first month of re release, that may persuade me.

Divide
02-11-15, 17:53
Kinda surprised at the devout resistance, but in the end I get it. I hate leveling probably more than most. It's just that knowing the way the economy changes when the server has a high-level playerbase makes one wonder about the opportunities provided to new players.

Odimara Orca
02-11-15, 18:47
Kinda surprised at the devout resistance, but in the end I get it. I hate leveling probably more than most. It's just that knowing the way the economy changes when the server has a high-level playerbase makes one wonder about the opportunities provided to new players.

I'd count on peoples generosity there.

People have been helping me out very well when i started again.

hudsonbeck
03-11-15, 23:34

I would be fine with it.

Torg
05-11-15, 14:00
yes, of course. the early Titan was as exciting as NC1, because everyone had to care for the game, not just the endgame. i'd even pay for a fresh server with everyone starting from 0/2.

Odimara Orca
05-11-15, 14:23
yes, of course. the early Titan was as exciting as NC1, because everyone had to care for the game, not just the endgame. i'd even pay for a fresh server with everyone starting from 0/2.

I don't understand your reasoning.

So People don't care about the game once they play endgame?

Do you mean people don't get assistance while leveling? my experience was very different.

I still say no to a wipe.

William Antrim
05-11-15, 22:58
The thing you have to understand about Torg is this: whatever the common sense normal approach that the majority would take on a given subject is, Torg will claim to support the opposite.

Of course this is pure speculation; it can never be proven because a server wipe hasnt happened.

:)

Divide
06-11-15, 05:09
I don't think Torg is too off his rocker with his response. I'd be willing to start fresh if it was for the best interest of the game. I don't believe new players entering a world full of capped players is as enticing and compelling for them as it is to start on a more even playing field.

J45
07-11-15, 01:41
If there was a wipe I would of liked to see more new player friendly fixes. For example the missions screen having a full screen of missions instead of having to click through them. Also instead of killing 5 of something you kill 10+ and earn more xp/money and more missions added overall would be great. Not sure how much work that would be but surely should be doable and would enhance the new player experience a lot. There are various other small changes/fixes that can be made. Small attention to detail can go a long way.

aKe`cj
07-11-15, 11:45
I am sure that the NST will get Kirk to bring NC to Steam, right after solving the middle east conflict and planting weed on Mars.

Divide
08-11-15, 05:53
I am sure that the NST will get Kirk to bring NC to Steam, right after solving the middle east conflict and planting weed on Mars.

Can we somehow fit MJS into that equation for old times?

aKe`cj
08-11-15, 19:36
Can we somehow fit MJS into that equation for old times?

nope.

Drachenpaladin
08-11-15, 20:29
I guess that would mean dividing by zero or something...i

Torg
08-11-15, 22:46
Fellow runners, i'm pretty sure everyone understands the difference between a "wipe" and a "new server", don't we? Back in ye olde days (tm) there were up to 4 servers open at once. So why not start a fresh, new, second server once NC ever goes to steam - or gets patched according to the plans we heard of, some time in 2016? I believe new players would welcome a world where everyone starts with nothing (but maybe some prior experience). And i believe Titan should stay open, so that veterans could bravely fight at OPs and in plaza 2 like they were doing for many years. Or try the new server. In that case i'd be happy to get a new life in Neocron, and i'd be happy to pay to the tune of 1 € (0,71 GBP, 1,07 USD) per month and character slot.

Terror_Nonne
09-11-15, 00:39
ARGH - not again, this new server-shit story...

Torg
09-11-15, 02:35
So People don't care about the game once they play endgame?
Not quite. Neocron, being a MMO, doesn't stop you from playing the game after you cappped your char's exp. Unlike a typical solo-RPG. So you'd work your way up to full cap through all means this game has to offer, but once you reached cap, you're not reading a farewell mesage like GAME OVER or YOU'VE WON or THE END, but are allowed to play on for years, typically PvPing in your leisure time. That's what i was talking about: "game" vs "endgame".

yavimaya
09-11-15, 08:41
guess what guys, none of this is going to happen....

Odimara Orca
09-11-15, 09:14
Not quite. Neocron, being a MMO, doesn't stop you from playing the game after you cappped your char's exp. Unlike a typical solo-RPG. So you'd work your way up to full cap through all means this game has to offer, but once you reached cap, you're not reading a farewell mesage like GAME OVER or YOU'VE WON or THE END, but are allowed to play on for years, typically PvPing in your leisure time. That's what i was talking about: "game" vs "endgame".

So people don't care about leveling after reaching Cap?

uh.....

I don't even...

Torg
09-11-15, 15:39
Yes, Odi, You can either play the game, or try to level up as fast as possible in order to cap out and then play a weaker form of Counter Strike.

Other MMOs try to adress this problem by adding new high-level content, extending exp cap, adding skills, adventures, missions to keep people playing. Unfortunately Neocron isnt backed by a rich and successful development studio, so we're not enjoying a constant flow of new ingame-content.

Torg
09-11-15, 15:50
guess what guys, none of this is going to happen....i'm not sure about that.

Odimara Orca
09-11-15, 16:00
Yes, Odi, You can either play the game, or try to level up as fast as possible in order to cap out and then play a weaker form of Counter Strike.

Other MMOs try to adress this problem by adding new high-level content, extending exp cap, adding skills, adventures, missions to keep people playing. Unfortunately Neocron isnt backed by a rich and successful development studio, so we're not enjoying a constant flow of new ingame-content.

No it's not a weaker form of CS.

It's a mmofps.

Other MMO's also have massive problems because of new additions. Ever heard of Content Creep?

Time and effort should have lasting value. Not be invalidated every year by a new addon.

Also you're always free to create your own content (Events).

Your solution to lacking endgame content is:

Force everbody to level again.

That doesn't even address the core problem you describe yourself.

Torg
09-11-15, 17:55
Your solution to lacking endgame content is: Force everbody to level again.Runner, please. What i'm saying is: If NC will ever go on Steam, or at least enjoy that mega-overhaul our favourite Devs are hinting at frequently, i would love seeing both Titan kept alive and being offered an additional, new server for everyone wanting to start from scratch. That would be awesome.

Drachenpaladin
09-11-15, 19:08
Me thinks somebody is trolling you, Torg :angel:

Odimara Orca
10-11-15, 11:46
me thinks somebody is trolling you, torg :angel:

why u ruin mah fun?!?!

Outzone
12-11-15, 22:19
As a returning NC1 Closed beta player, the question to reset or not to reset is a no brainer.... If your going to start a new server for Steam start out fresh, everyone on equal footing it does not take long to level up from zero. Yes it's a pain but you will have something more at your disposal other than weapons, skills and such... You will have your knowledge of the game that new players won't have.

Redburn

Sorry couldn't remember my old password to use my old forum name.. :wtf:

MayhemMichael
13-11-15, 04:24
I would be for anything that would bring people to the game. It is easy to level and get items in this game. Wipe away.

yavimaya
13-11-15, 08:17

TBH, im very glad neocron hasnt added all that crap.
Every MMO i have played where they "extend" endgame or add more and more stuff to keep people interested, simply gets ruined by those additions, much like WOC did to neo.

Making a game with many options for endgame play and then leaving it, never fucking touching endgame again is about the best way i have seen.

J45
14-11-15, 05:27
TBH, im very glad neocron hasnt added all that crap.
Every MMO i have played where they "extend" endgame or add more and more stuff to keep people interested, simply gets ruined by those additions, much like WOC did to neo.

Making a game with many options for endgame play and then leaving it, never fucking touching endgame again is about the best way i have seen.

Wait your happy with the state of Neocron? Genuine question.

yavimaya
14-11-15, 08:41
I am not happy with the state of balance, npc distribution and loot tables, nor happy with wisdom of ceres, but yea, before DOY come in, neo was pretty much perfect.

William Antrim
14-11-15, 13:56
I am not happy with the state of balance, npc distribution and loot tables, nor happy with wisdom of ceres, but yea, before DOY come in, neo was pretty much perfect.

I would echo this sentiment exactly. In terms of its core concept the "levelling" experience was there to A) teach you the game and B) get you out and about travelling around the world.

The real draw of the game was and still is very much the op fighting scene and the pvp generally.

That being said it does not JUST appeal to those players who like to fight but there are players (using Torg as an example) who like to find their enrichment in other forms of activity, there have even been a few ROLEPLAYERS down the years. Though thankfully they were found and quickly sent to City Admin for extermination/reeducation.

What I think Yavi is trying to say is that when you have "reached" that cap/end game this game has appeal because you can simply put your char down and go and play other games or do other stuff with your life. There is not this content-farming hamster wheel just to stay competitive. Players can be gone years and drop back in for a casual fight in pepper park and have no issues.

This is the appeal of NC.

The problem is finding time and space to balance the desires of the casual player with the desires of the hardcore player who plays all day, all week etc. Unfortunately during its developed life NC has listened too much to one side or the other and driven away part of its playerbase. This is not a microcosm of a problem with NC however, this is the way of things in all MMOs. This is just preaching to the choir.

J45
14-11-15, 19:59
With all due respect if your still playing NC after all these years then yes I can understand that the current game is something you wouldn't want changed. Understand though the thousands of players who have passed through and left because of the lack of updates/bug fixes. I mean what are we left with? 100 active players if that. I feel in the current player base I am the minority who wants more pve content (not raising the cap just other mobs to kill) to give some variation to a stale game.

Just seems you wanted this game to stay unsuccessful so it would stay the same for your own needs. At the moment your not putting any money into the game and haven't for quite some time , do you think they keep the servers up for another 10 years?

yavimaya
15-11-15, 05:40
95% of players who left early on couldnt stand the bugs and KKs inability to fix them (also the fact that 1 bug fix guaranteed 5 more bugs).

the reason there is no players now is because its a 10 year old game and we have all grown up and dont have time.

I dont think you understand how it all works, do you think they constantly add new features or things to do in Counter Strike? how long has that game been around? how many people still play it?
When you have a good base game, just like neocron is, you dont need to keep adding and changing, you need to get the balance right and make the game stable, that is it.

J45
15-11-15, 07:42
Of course if your comparing this game to Counter Strike then no you don't need any pve content, I just feel this game could offer much more than just that though since I thought this thread was about releasing this game on steam and attracting new players since as you say most of the old players have moved on.

I realise the resources are limited so I don't hope for much, but would like to see a few hundred active players again so the game has that atmosphere back. The retexturing project at least looks promising as a remastered Neocron would be awesome.

Divide
15-11-15, 23:54
95% of players who left early on couldnt stand the bugs and KKs inability to fix them (also the fact that 1 bug fix guaranteed 5 more bugs).

the reason there is no players now is because its a 10 year old game and we have all grown up and dont have time.

I dont think you understand how it all works, do you think they constantly add new features or things to do in Counter Strike? how long has that game been around? how many people still play it?
When you have a good base game, just like neocron is, you dont need to keep adding and changing, you need to get the balance right and make the game stable, that is it.

They do refresh CS. They add in content by way of maps and change playstyles by tweaking gun balance. Since CS was incepted, they have had 3 distinctly different releases each with their own merits and system requirements. CS 1.6, CS: Source, CS:GO.

People need to stop comparing this game to CS. Those who don't grasp the real substance behind Neocron's PVP are forever lost to this argument. Don't even engage.

Faid
16-11-15, 20:33
Sex Divide <3

Fresh starts in NC are always fun and exciting, it's after the monotonous end game kicks in where people get completely bored and leave. End game OP fights are extremely fun and arguably the main reason to even play in the first place, it's the question of what to do when there are no fights. What do you do when you already have all the money you'll ever need, all the items you'll ever need, all the tech parts you'll ever need?

yavimaya
16-11-15, 23:01
lol you guys are obviously trolling, no one could be that thick.
i clearly wasnt comparing the game to CS, simply making the point that the worlds most successful games dont change, they dont have huge additions and changes.

Divide, new maps and balance arent real changes to the way the game works, it is still the same game, every game is going to need balance tweeks.
I would hardly call a "refresh" as you call it ( new graphics engine) a new game.... :rolleyes:
thats as bad as calling a hollywood "refresh" of old movies..... a new movie....

Divide
17-11-15, 16:47
/edit: /sex Faid

lol you guys are obviously trolling, no one could be that thick.
i clearly wasnt comparing the game to CS, simply making the point that the worlds most successful games dont change, they dont have huge additions and changes.

Divide, new maps and balance arent real changes to the way the game works, it is still the same game, every game is going to need balance tweeks.
I would hardly call a "refresh" as you call it ( new graphics engine) a new game.... :rolleyes:
thats as bad as calling a hollywood "refresh" of old movies..... a new movie....

Question to the universe:
Does it make sense to respond to this person?

World's most successful/recognizable games:
WoW, Halo, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Gears of War, Doom, Wolfenstein, WHATEVER. The list goes on.

New maps and balance are the only real changes to the way CS works. It may still be the same game, but no one is asking anyone to turn CS into a racing game.

Like it or not- new engines, new stories in the same universe, they are all new experiences to some extent or another and deserve at the very least to be known as refreshes.

J45
17-11-15, 17:34
I am not sure why you keep comparing Neocron to the worlds most successful games. Even at its peak it wasn't even a blip on the radar. Those games DO have a good base game to start with and were relatively polished when released. The PvP part of Neocron can be fun even with the dodgy netcode but still only appeals to a niche crowd. If Neocron was released on steam as a stable game people wouldn't even reach max level to experience OP wars. The accessibility and noob friendliness of the game is awful and without variable content people get bored fast.

My point is if you release Neocron on steam in its current form (even a stable version) you will probably see a spike in players but it would slowly return to rock bottom numbers. If you want to keep at least some of those players then more needs to be done in other areas as mentioned above.

yavimaya
17-11-15, 23:15
I do agree that it shouldnt be on steam without a lot of work.... and so does the dev team....

Doc Holliday
18-11-15, 08:01
With all due respect if your still playing NC after all these years then yes I can understand that the current game is something you wouldn't want changed. Understand though the thousands of players who have passed through and left because of the lack of updates/bug fixes. I mean what are we left with? 100 active players if that. I feel in the current player base I am the minority who wants more pve content (not raising the cap just other mobs to kill) to give some variation to a stale game.

Pve has needed to be unfucked for about 8 years now. Neocron 2.something fucked it royally with the "balancing" rendering so many areas as rediculous. There should be caves where you can compete with a team of randoms (like nc1 chaos caves as was) and then there should be areas where you need a healer of some form also (as regants should be) so it splits the players out to go do some stuff without limiting the fun factor of not having the right char/spec available for team composition.

Example Doy tunnels. Have levels one and two for a mixture of runners and level 3 needing a team WITH ppu support for shields etc.

Star Wars:The Old Republic did something similar where it utilizes companions to fulfill roles to be a part of the so called "holy trinity" of mmos (tank/heals/damage).

Honestly neocron could do something similar I feel if they simply adjusted the damage type or overall damage values of some of the mobs inside these areas. The question would be tuning the mob levels so that runners would get some worthwhile xp vs the challenge it requires to earn it.

One assumes here it would be simply a case of number crunching to set appropriate values to the mob characteristics for level/damage output etc.

Encourage players to wear appropriate armour types also (poison for the graves/swamp caves etc) which would make for a reason for traders to craft up armour sets for people (perhaps...) which in turn supports the populous even more.

Torg
18-11-15, 17:39
Pve has needed to be unfucked for about 8 years now. ... There should be caves where you can compete with a team of randoms (like nc1 chaos caves as was) and then there should be areas where you need a healer of some form also (as regants should be) so it splits the players out to go do some stuff without limiting the fun factor of not having the right char/spec available for team composition... Example Doy tunnels.... as far as i can see all your demands are met in the vast world of Neocron. chaos caves today are for midrange groups or high-range solo players, as are warbots, etc. Doy tunnels are a team area, as are most WoC item quest places.

Star Wars:The Old Republic did something similar where it utilizes companions to fulfill roles to be a part of the so called "holy trinity" of mmos (tank/heals/damage).Neocron is different from even-older-styled MMOs, as there is no real "tank" class, just different damage dealer subclasses and a single supporter subclass. so the composition of a team is quite different - all you need is some ppl in the front and one supporter.
"tanking" like in "old-agey" MMOs isnt viable because mob aggro is handled different by the original NC engine than most other games: you can not "draw" aggro and "tank" the mob damage, but have to handle occasional aggro switches, as the mob will mostly target whomever hits them hardest. would you want to change this fundamental game mechanic, so Neocron would more be like other games?

Doc Holliday
19-11-15, 05:01
[Edited]

Torg
19-11-15, 10:03
[Edited]dear, you maybe want to calm down before we continue. at least you want to be taken serious, dont you? we may be of different opinions on the thread content, anyway.

Divide
19-11-15, 21:44
The content of this thread really should have been no more than a yes or no. The question in itself is almost ludicrous... I was just curious what level of commitment to hard choices in the name of the greater good the community had in its stores.

hudsonbeck
20-11-15, 00:09
true but whens the last time there was a 4 page thread? I lurk all the time and am enjoying something to read. Even if its just a few minutes per day. I'm glad you asked the question.

J45
20-11-15, 01:13
I think the point is its pointless making the current population start over again if the game doesn't get significant updates as after a while only the current population will remain again. The question itself is a catch 22.

If there was input from the devs then we could at least establish what can be done. The bare essentials would be the following:

Server stability under high load.
Anti-Cheat (A way to detect or a least report and remove cheaters).
Various bug fixes.
Improved new player area/tutorials. (I like the Mr Jones concept maybe that could be expanded on).
More low end/high end content. (Could be as simple as tunnels or new areas if possible).
Texture updates on npcs/mobs (I know that's work in progress).
More user friendly interface on the citycomm.

Now the question is does a game like Neocron need steam. This game could survive happily with one server but you would want a few hundred people on it at all times.

If it gets released on steam then how many would at least try the game? Hundreds or thousands? Then how many servers can be brought online. All this extra cost would have to come from somewhere. So then you would have to charge for the game or a cash shop which is a whole other ball game.

Is steam a good idea? Yes if you are prepared enough and willing to invest to make it a relative success. Unfortunately I have seen little evidence to suggest it would be a good route to consider.

At the end of the day it comes down to money so maybe a kickstarter to pay the current devs or additional ones to revamp Neocron. I know I would be willing to throw some money their way if that was done.

unc0nnected
20-11-15, 02:41
If the content and experience was refreshed, keeping the good and cleaning out the bad, I would love a wipe more than anything in the world. Playing through Neocron as a new player 10+ years ago was one of the highlights of my gaming life, if I could get to relive that again almost like it was the first time with new content and a 'new' experience that built on what worked in NC1 while learning from and moving beyond the lessons learned from NC2 onwards, I couldn't imagine the joy I'd feel

William Antrim
26-11-15, 15:10
The problem you have got is twofold:

You have a development team who has limited resources and no money coming into the game who are doing things out of a love for the game.

You have a theoretical owner of an IP that he may or may not own due to a long line of legal trouble with various companies going bankrupt and probable debts being owed to banks after said bankruptcy.

The dev team cant make drastic changes to the game because A) they cant afford to and B) they probably dont have a lot of permission to do so because if the game suddenly becomes successful then it could potentially have the bank sieze some of the assets in payment for debts owed by the original company.

Zoltan stated that the Dev team's aim is to keep NC running for as long as possible. To me thats a noble idea sure but it just sounds like it is going to be a finite end.

Without the serious backing (financial and production capability) of a bigger company willing to take on the debts which may in part be owed to the bank then there is no hope for the IP itself. It is effectively tainted unfortunately.

If somehow someone won the euro millions and could sweep in and set things up from scratch then a steam launch and all of that jazz would be epic and yes if the game had a launch with a couple of thousand players playing then it would be great but the likelihood of that happening is just about zero.

All you can do is be thankfull that the game you have is here and enjoy it for what it is. These "what if" threads are all well and good but theyve been happening for years and nothing much has got any further. The potential is awesome in this game but it means nothing without realisation. The pace of development in this game is fairly slow at best and so without ruining the mood too much I would say be content with what you have and if thats not enough then then perhaps this is not the game for you.

J45
26-11-15, 23:53
Yes I understand the financial problems, I think the forum is just an outlet for people who want the game to do well. I accepted many years ago the game will never be huge but thought having one server with a few hundred people active was an achievable goal. If there is anything the players can do to help then I think a fair few would (if its just donating some money for the devs to show support).

William Antrim
27-11-15, 14:46
Yes I understand the financial problems, I think the forum is just an outlet for people who want the game to do well. I accepted many years ago the game will never be huge but thought having one server with a few hundred people active was an achievable goal. If there is anything the players can do to help then I think a fair few would (if its just donating some money for the devs to show support).

The problem is this post has been echoed hundreds of times over already. Zoltan refuses to comment any further or get involved in any serious discussion about how to improve the game.

All you get is non-committal answers at best or silence at worst. People have asked millions of times for some sort of insight into what is really going on but the truth is either A) he doesnt know or B) he does know and cant say because he is bound to some sort of archaic NDA agreement.

I dont know which is worse tbh.

Either way what you are left with is a digital antique.

I offered a lot of support plenty of times and all the reply I got was a thread deletion.

You can read into that whatever you will but nostalgia only goes so far and patience wears even thinner.

To end on a positive note: if NC floats your boat in its current state then dive in and play, get excited when new stuff happens for sure. I love the new art work for example. But if you are looking for the 2nd coming of HALF LIFE or the newest blockbuster smash cyberpunk game then this isnt it.

Me personally I am gonna keep an eye on these forums and hope beyond all hope that things improve but I am long past holding my breath.

Nuvibe
29-11-15, 14:15
As someone who has been considering NC for a while during a mmo dry spell I would not mind it being available on Steam. Last time I considered trying it must have during the games owners demise. It had broken links to download sites and subscriptions being handled by what looked like dodgy third party sites. So I never got to try NC. Now a few years on I find myself checking out YouTube videos....Hmm

William Antrim
30-11-15, 14:32
The best advice is to download the game and dive in to it mate. You might find that it is everything you ever wanted from a game and you might not. The only advice anyone can give you is to make up your own mind about it all. The download isnt huge and it IS free.

They have a support section too which handles any account errors or other issues you might have getting into the game and this is very helpful. However mostly it isnt needed as there is a launcher which should guide you through most of the historic pitfalls from times past. For a game of its age this one is still a gem. It is just a shame that there such a low population these days.

I would give the world to trade places with you and see it all through a fresh pair of eyes and experience all of that again but I cant. However I would absolutely encourage you to stab a few rats in the sewer before you come to a final judgement on this game.

J45
01-12-15, 01:56
For me when I played it was the atmosphere of the game that I fell in love with. Unfortunately this included Plaza 1 brimming full of life and the chat being awesome. If you could encourage some friends to play with you it will make the whole experience a lot better and less frustrating. Regarding Williams comments there's nothing that can be argued with there. All I will say if they need any support I for one will help in anyway I can, and I will just casually check the forums for any updates etc.

unc0nnected
01-12-15, 03:12
For me when I played it was the atmosphere of the game that I fell in love with. Unfortunately this included Plaza 1 brimming full of life and the chat being awesome. If you could encourage some friends to play with you it will make the whole experience a lot better and less frustrating. Regarding Williams comments there's nothing that can be argued with there. All I will say if they need any support I for one will help in anyway I can, and I will just casually check the forums for any updates etc.

Yep, it would be interesting to know how many people are still actively checking in the forums for updates and what not.. it's funny how once the crack's in your blood it never leaves

Doc Holliday
01-12-15, 07:12
dear, you maybe want to calm down before we continue. at least you want to be taken serious, dont you? we may be of different opinions on the thread content, anyway.

Simply because you missed the topic by a country mile and then some and then you feel the need to patronize? Your post is condescending and i stand by my original sentiment which im sure you read before the edit. You picked out a small part of the post, quoted it, and then went off on a retarded tangent of which both you and I know has absolutely jack all to do with neocron.

If you are that unintelligent as to not see the point i was referring to then you should actually consider stopping trying to be the knowitall of the forum. My join date (I hate having to use this) shows i have been a somewhat active member of the community on and off for several years (as does yours) so there is really no need to be condescending nor is there a need to ramble on about something entirely irrelevant.

The thread has organically developed in to far more than a simple yes or no answer and as ever has followed the same tried and tested discussions of what happens next. Hoping this time for more input or somethin new to come to light.

Maybe you can organically develop also and grow a clue or even better a brain. Then come back and contribute some equal discussion to this thread rather than seizing on small parts of a larger post i made and trying to talk down to me after a quite long hiatus (again) from posting on the forum.

If this gets edited i will be impressed as im trying to hold my tongue but its not easy.

IMHO what needs to happen with this game is someone/something needs to find a way to come up with the capital/manpower and planning and make a "spiritual successor" for this game and be free of all the drama surrounding the current ip.

I realise i may be struck down by the gods themselves for merely suggesting this notion but truly if someone COULD do a proper go of it (not that blatant rip off pile of crap whos name i dont recall) but i would love to know has this ever been considered by anyone in the current NC heirarchy?

yavimaya
01-12-15, 08:11

Yes, the atmosphere! login for the first time, walk towards the first door you see, click ok on the panel, end up in the main city with booming voices "NCPD has an eye on you!", etc.

it was the best ever, we didnt need our hands held back then, gamers knew how to game, you get into a game and do what you want, not "what do i do? where is the mission guy? once ive done this guys missions are there more i can do? is this MMO about nothing but missions and leveling?" (you get the idea of what new comer MMO users are like).

REMOVE NEWBIE MC5!!!

J45
01-12-15, 16:29
Yes, the atmosphere! login for the first time, walk towards the first door you see, click ok on the panel, end up in the main city with booming voices "NCPD has an eye on you!", etc.

it was the best ever, we didnt need our hands held back then, gamers knew how to game, you get into a game and do what you want, not "what do i do? where is the mission guy? once ive done this guys missions are there more i can do? is this MMO about nothing but missions and leveling?" (you get the idea of what new comer MMO users are like).

REMOVE NEWBIE MC5!!!

Being able to go outside of Neocron after a few days in the sewers and just explore and kill anything you wanted (within reason) was such a great concept. The missions from the citycomm felt optional rather than mandatory so no pressure to keep doing them (also having to go to a citycomm everytime makes them very ineffective for xp). It helped so much with the atmosphere and immersion into the game without those "I must do this" pressures.

Even the LE chip for me was a concept that was brilliant, rather than having to choose a PvE or PvP server I could simply take the LE chip out and go do some PvP. Though maybe reconfigure how you can put it back in.

The game did so much right in terms of immersion that other games are scared of trying. I was playing grav the other day and whilst it was decent it gave a step by step tutorial of what to do next. It just felt like I was following a set of instructions of how to play a game. I understand that nostalgia has a part to play in this but there is hard facts to support Neocron letting the player make up his own mind of what to do rather than being spoon fed via tutorials and quests.

It may be a niche market that still wants this but I'm confident theres's still a fair amount of players who prefer this style and enough to make Neocron a success. Now whether its Neocron who takes that market remains to be seen.

yavimaya
02-12-15, 07:26
i totally agree with everything J45 said.

I think most "real" (long term) gamers dont like to be dictated to, nor be made to feel like a baby.
i come from a generation of gamers who never once read a manual that come with the game, but simply played it.
i think there are a lot of "kids" who are used to games like WOW and the like which are all mission based and pretty much all just very basic, then games like WOW have pulled a lot more women into the world of games, i have noticed that a lot of them also like to have their hands held, especially those who didnt game before they started playing WOW with their boyfriend, etc.