PDA

View Full Version : [R#198] Changing Gear - Soft Patches to the Rescue

Zoltan
20-05-15, 14:44
[R#198]Changing Gear - Soft Patches to the Rescue

...are you f****** crazy NST?!

Sometimes maybe, yes, but not this time - Let me explain

Bragi's working hard to get his implant and armour changes working - his work is heavily dependant on iteration based on your feedback - this feedback and constructive criticism is essential and always very welcome. A staggering amount has changed with test patches R#198-T#198 to T#208 - several systems got an overhaul, some a complete rewrite, meaning a complete rework of implants, armour, weapons and NPCs is essential. Every layer is dependant on the others which is why this task isn't quite so simple.

We've already covered why this is so drastic again, the unravelling of a new set of modifiers discovered buried in the code. (http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?156165-R-198-T-199-Patchnotes)

You may have noticed that Vedeena patches have gone from one every few days to none since R#198-T#208. It's easy to explain this in my case - I have stopped working on the NC source code... because reasons.

Wait! Wait! Don't worry! - it's because of a more important requirement, our tool chain! Some of you may already know that if you want to change things in Neocron you have to do it with tools like Notepad - This is not a joke, we're not kidding! This is how KK made changes in the past and how we have made many change since 2012 - there were no tools available other than Notepad and Excel.

Wow! The 90's called... they wan't their tools back!

In 2013 I started an internal project called "Neocron Suite". The Neocron Suite (NCS) is ONE tool to combine all things we need to develop content and maintain the servers. The NCS is a "work in progress", living piece of software which automatically updates itself with the newest available builds - hot off the press! - and will never be "finished" because it grows with us and our changes to Neocron.

The NCS is plugin based and customizable so everyone on the team with the right coding skills can contribute new plugins. - the newest member of the plugin library is the "Weapon Editor", an essential component to aide rapid, iterative balancing on Vedeena. This new tool in our arsenal is also able to build and deploy the so called "soft patches" - this feature allows us to make changes to the game without patching it "hard" to your client.

Simply put, Bragi now has the tools he needs to configure weapon balance on the fly so he needs your help on Vedeena to be able to change and tweak and achieve the end result!

http://neocron-game.com/media/Neocron_Suite.png

Yes this is the first time we show you some internal stuff - but I think it's okay in order to be more transparent ;)

Needless to say, this is where my time has gone recently, to the development of such plugins which is why there is no new patch just yet.

Nice speech...! TL;DR. Don't bore me bro! What about future test patches?

Yes, there is a huge problem with Stun/Freeze effects I want to solve. As a PvPer I really hated getting paralysed/frozen by other players but I recognized its importance sometimes. Of course not like we had it in NC1 where you got "paralysed" ten times and got nailed on the ground but the feature does have its place.

Another item is Damage over Time (DoT) but for the most part there is no patch required, now that the system has been rewritten in T#208 and the NCS Weapon Editor exists. I personally want to have DoT returned to more weapons. Since we fixed the DoT system recently, there are just a few weapons which have DoT and most of them are not working OR the DoT is just something which makes you "burn" without any effect.

I've added fire stacks to the Rocket launcher and Fusion Cannon (alpha cells) testwise via soft patch - what do you think?

This is the end...

...of this post. The recent patches gave us back what we have missed since Evo 2.2 - The ability to fulfil our needs in PvP and PvE and all of this is now more customizable - and in most cases "on the fly".

I just want so say a new era of Neocron starts now, as always your feedback is very welcome and needed! The current balancing on our testserver is still a mess, because the R#197 value don't match the new, far less tangled system any more. We need your help to get this working again to get the very best out of Neocron.

... Oh... and about Neocron 1 - we can't bring back this game anymore and to be honest, we don't want it back. It was full of problems! HOWEVER there is nothing stopping us bringing elements of it's gameplay to the current version of Neocron ;) Think about it :D

Z

LeoPump
20-05-15, 15:57
Nice to hear that, Zoltan!
Glad you guys still working behind the scenes and we get some stuff to know :)

Thank you! :)

Ivan Eres
20-05-15, 16:59
This is the right strategy.

Indeed, this is the start of a new era for Neocron.

Now the real fun can start! With an effective balancing.

Good job NST. Keep going! You Rock !!!

Drachenpaladin
20-05-15, 17:59
I expect quite a few panties will moisten with this announcement!

Torg
20-05-15, 18:41
Neocron Galaxies NGE. At least. No, really. This is huge.

BlueRobot
20-05-15, 18:59
Yes, there is a huge problem with Stun/Freeze effects I want to solve. As a PvPer I really hated getting paralysed/frozen by other players but I recognized its importance sometimes. Of course not like we had it in NC1 where you got "paralysed" ten times and got nailed on the ground but the feature does have its place.

Can you explain this more precise ?

What would be the freeze's role in PvP?

Bragi
21-05-15, 00:22
I can haz noo toiz?

Me and Z ironed out a few kinks earlier and had a little test.
As some pointed out, the ion cannon spent less time firing than reloading, so we tested a softpatch so it has a 12 round clip and has an ammo usage of one, not two.
It seemed to work.

Jack Slater
21-05-15, 07:45
Nice update!

I haven't been very active in Neocron lately but reading this makes me want to!
Is there a chance of skill tools with developer support or will we stay dependent on NSkill with vague (or are these precise?) formulas and outdated (customizable) database?

Dasore
21-05-15, 15:35
keep it going.. see you on the server

Dru Blood
21-05-15, 17:27
[R#198]Changing Gear - Soft Patches to the Rescue

... Oh... and about Neocron 1 - we can't bring back this game anymore and to be honest, we don't want it back. It was full of problems! HOWEVER there is nothing stopping us bringing elements of it's to the current version of Neocron ;) Think about it :D

Z

Great work up to now the latest changes and your ability to patch on the fly will have a positive impact on the future of NC.
I would like to see certain elements of NC1 back in game, I really miss the old character models and animations.

Zoltan
22-05-15, 12:12
Can you explain this more precise ?

What would be the freeze's role in PvP?

I didn't think about that much yet, because the "freeze / stun" effect isn't working well yet and I need to fix that but in general I want to bring back the old "freeze in pvp or pve" model we had in NC1 - NC2.1.

Maybe not that hard like it was in the older version - I don't want to bring back a pvp showstopper.

Great work up to now the latest changes and your ability to patch on the fly will have a positive impact on the future of NC.
I would like to see certain elements of NC1 back in game, I really miss the old character models and animations.

Sad to say - we can't bring back the old models. The animation are different to the new models and these are hardcoded aswell.

William Antrim
03-06-15, 11:03
Do a search for the "No more para" thread. It might be in the web archive somewhere.

Please do not bring that back. It systematically ruined NC1 almost as much as KK did with the botched DOY "expansion".

Dasore
03-06-15, 20:12
no more para? wtf? learn to use the antidrugs and everything is fine... : )

William Antrim
04-06-15, 13:11
Do a search for the thread.... the opinions of many are very different to the opinions of one...

Dropout
04-06-15, 13:28
For the love of everything beautiful.. DO NOT BRING PARA BACK!
The ONLY good thing that 2.2 did, was removing that fun-blocker..

LeoPump
04-06-15, 14:14

Well.. Para was a pain in the ass, but a "light" Version of it would be great.

Zoltan
04-06-15, 16:28

Nearly unlimited runspeed was also a fun-blocker which came with 2.2.
As I said there will be a light version of the para, nothing that keep you from dominating your enemies ;)

The strength of the para effect isn't increasing anymore like it did in the older versions (NC1-NC2.1).

Tino
05-06-15, 17:58
The biggest fun blocker in nc is the lack of people to fight =( Whatever you do please do not make the game like nc1...no one played nc1 and everyone hated it...the populations are much higher now.

Drachenpaladin
05-06-15, 18:01
The biggest fun blocker in nc is the lack of people to fight =( Whatever you do please do not make the game like nc1...no one played nc1 and everyone hated it...the populations are much higher now.

Are you drunk?

LeoPump
05-06-15, 18:59
Are you drunk?

I think so..

bmurph101
05-06-15, 21:16
Moar dps on melee weapons pls

Ascension
06-06-15, 10:30

Definitely drunk. I've fond fond memories of playing the original NC, the game will never feel like it did when I played back in the day.

Faid
08-06-15, 21:25
Tino does not drink o.O

Doc Holliday
09-06-15, 11:38
I would assume that was huge sarcasm on tino's part. That's how i read it

Arcaine
09-06-15, 12:17

Para was fun....
The biggest fun-blocker in my opinion are the antishields/buffs .....

Faid
10-06-15, 05:33
Who remembers that stupid fucking para sound constantly during op fights, so fucking annoying lol

Jack Slater
10-06-15, 07:21
Who remembers that stupid fucking para sound constantly during op fights, so fucking annoying lol

Isn't the Holy Frostration sound the same as the para used to be? I still hear that sound constantly in OP fights.

Dasore
10-06-15, 08:21
there is only one fun blocker in neocron, and thats the 4-6% pop ;)

Drachenpaladin
10-06-15, 15:03
there is only one fun blocker in neocron, and thats the 4-6% pop ;)

Summerhole, my little munchkin.

Or to put it different: Same procedure as every year!

Divide
10-06-15, 15:37
Summerhole, my little munchkin.

Or to put it different: Same procedure as every year!

Every year it happens, and every year people deny that it leaves a lasting mark.

Tino
10-06-15, 21:00
Have I been away from nc so long that no one remembers my sarcasm?...I would come back now but i'm afraid my reign of terror would finally kill the game =)

Chuck Norris
11-06-15, 08:52
Have I been away from nc so long that no one remembers my sarcasm?...I would come back now but i'm afraid my reign of terror would finally kill the game =)

reign of 88 posts lol

Ascension
11-06-15, 14:22
reign of 88 posts lol
...Reign of 590 posts lol

Trivaldi
11-06-15, 15:54
Back on topic.

BlueRobot
11-06-15, 22:00
I was wondering why this whole thing isn't open source. Did KK/the NST ever give a reason for this?

Zoltan
12-06-15, 01:16
I was wondering why this whole thing isn't open source. Did KK/the NST ever give a reason for this?

Because open source isn't always good because it's "open source". What do you want to have and whats the aim? Dozens of private servers or projects all of them with their own client version? Sound's like a mess isn't it?

Chuck Norris
12-06-15, 08:26
Because open source isn't always good because it's "open source". What do you want to have and whats the aim? Dozens of private servers or projects all of them with their own client version? Sound's like a mess isn't it?

or maybe even someone who does it right, for example Project1999

Many emulated old mmos are back with much better circumstances then they had under corp ownership.... maybe indeed the players will do it best.

Please continue with the hard work it is appreciated! It must be agonizingly slow with the one or two people making changes... in their spare time?
You guys rock keep up the good fight!

I cant wait to see these changes go live