PDA

View Full Version : Linux Post 192

Rasguno
31-12-14, 02:04
Has anyone solved the problem of not being able to provide "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013" on WINE? I have wracked my brains researching something within the scope of my abilities, and come up with nothing. This will SERIOUSLY hamper my NC playing.

pottburter
31-12-14, 07:55
WineHQ DB lists it as not installable.

See https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30029&iTestingId=83543
if you did not already.

Torg
31-12-14, 13:39
temporary solution: i will set up a windows7/linux dual boot ob my pc and go back to linux only as soon as the problem is fixed, a.k.a. the vs is available through wine.

Rasguno
31-12-14, 15:03
Don't have Windows. Don't want Windows.

Torg
31-12-14, 15:06
i hate windows, but i downloaded win 7 from an official server and will buy a licence key on ebay at like 25€ in order to keep playing neocron. there is no meaningful life without neocron.

Zoltan
31-12-14, 15:18
i hate windows, but i downloaded win 7 from an official server and will buy a licence key on ebay at like 25€ in order to keep playing neocron. there is no meaningful life without neocron.

Unbelievable, I am able to like and dislike the same person at the same time! :D

btw: What is.. Lll. Lin.. Linux? Isn't this legacy software from the 90s? ;p

/me better runs now

Rasguno
31-12-14, 15:31
This just has that "rug pulled out from under you" kinda feel. One day I could play NC just fine, the next I couldn't.

Torg
31-12-14, 17:41
What i'm saying is: they did it without notice, and they did it on purpose. Just to force us to log into Neocron from a less secure operation system. One more step towards total Neocron domination. This devilish plan from deep inside the City Admin Headquarters - which Zoltan is reporting too, as we all know - asks for massive retaliation. I will gather forces under @AnonymousNC and #OPneocron. We do not forget. We do not forgive. We are many. Await us.

Drachenpaladin
31-12-14, 17:46
Great. More DDoSing :rolleyes:

Torg
31-12-14, 18:05
i'm pretty sure AnonymousNC is planning for worse (just wait till i'm back ingame)

Torg
02-01-15, 22:09
ok. after some consideration, downloading, and installing i now have a dual-boot system with windows 7 on one partition (for games) and ubuntu 14.04 (yes, i prefer unity over gnome) for serious stuff. all well. although i'm a little sad to need windows for playing NC again, it's nice i got rid of those tiny linux-specific nuisances (music is back, zone-crossing problems are gone). if vcredist13 will be availably through wine some day, i'll give it a try.

Rasguno
05-01-15, 15:58
I hate Unity AND Gnome. I use LXDE. Muuuuuuch lighter.

Divide
06-01-15, 03:15
I'm going to kickstart a vm and see about this

/edit: curious about local dll drops specifically

Divide
06-01-15, 05:43
Dropping these in the base of your NC2 folder will get you further. I'm getting driver crashes from the curiously identified Geforce 3 and since I never run games in VM and never run NC on anything but windows I'm assuming this is some mistake made by either VMware Player or the NC detection scheme

Either way, by dropping these in the NC2 folder, I can get to the Hardware configuration panel which is something you can not get to otherwise post r192. These two alone may not solve the issue of not being able to install the VCRedist, but they will be a good start.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rb5po9ov8fkh0gm/nc198fix.zip?dl=0
unzip/drop msvcr120.dll and msvcp120.dll up in your shiznit and let me know if you get anywhere.

Divide
06-01-15, 06:36
Linux compatibility may be the reason why MSVCP60.dll has been in the Nc game folder for some time now.

Divide
08-01-15, 06:16
I looked at this yesterday as I fought for no reason against Linux Mint 16 which just wouldn't use vm3d acceleration and spent time down in the winetricks area... pretty sure the content about the msvc*120.dll's is new as of today:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=8568&iTestingId=13817

Torg
08-01-15, 12:52
since vcredist_x86.exe isnt applicable via wine, Neocron will not run on either linux or mac until wine gets updated. all info on the winehq page linked above is outdated atm.

Divide
08-01-15, 17:42
since vcredist_x86.exe isnt applicable via wine, Neocron will not run on either linux or mac until wine gets updated. all info on the winehq page linked above is outdated atm.

Funny, I got NC launching in my Fedora vm last night...

Torg
09-01-15, 01:10
so how did you inject vcredist into it?

Divide
09-01-15, 02:59
so how did you inject vcredist into it?

You don't need the whole redist package.
Download the file I posted, and unzip the dll's into your neocron folder.

Divide
14-01-15, 03:12
That get you cron'ing again Torg?

Rasguno
14-01-15, 07:22
Don't know about him, but it solved my problem. Running Ubuntu. Took my last working config, added the files you posted to the top NC file. Runs like a top. Thank you much for the assist.

Rasguno
14-01-15, 07:23
Anyway someone can "sticky" this thread as <solved>?

Torg
15-01-15, 18:46
That get you cron'ing again Torg?i put up a dual-boot few weeks ago, so i'm ingame. have yet to check NC on linux again.

Trivaldi
15-01-15, 22:27
Anyway someone can "sticky" this thread as <solved>?
If someone would like to write a top to bottom guide for running Neocron on Linux beyond patch R#192 a sticky can be arranged. However it will have to come with a disclaimer that while we're happy for folks to play using Linux, we cannot officially provide any support for it.

Brammers
19-01-15, 16:43
Anyone writing a how to get NC working under linux, could they also update the guide on the THN wiki? http://wiki.techhaven.org/Running_Neocron_in_Linux

Rasguno
22-01-15, 15:17
I'll see what I can do.