PDA

View Full Version : Crowdfunding for NC3?

Speedball
19-10-14, 16:14
Simple question:

Is anyone working on nc3 right now, and why not do a crowdfunding for the project....? I think it would work very well, considering all the fans hoping in silence for nc3...

if they droped the projects i didn't know... so no bashing please.

Drachenpaladin
19-10-14, 17:33
There was quite recent post from KKirk in the german section about that and other recent developments.

And he said that there will be no Kickstarter for it. Something about securing the financing completely beforehand and then developing with the community... kinda... not so insightful in that regard tbh.

Speedball
19-10-14, 17:43
argh.... :/ Pretty disappointing...

if we could do a poll and send it to all people we know that love NC, asking if they would pay for a crowfunding of NC3... It may amaze us how much we could gather I think....

Drachenpaladin
19-10-14, 17:48
There already was something like that a few years back, asking people if they'd back a crowd-funding. It was quite positive but yeah, guess they'd rather have the money save and ready instead of gambling on the crowd...

‡ Stormlord ‡
19-10-14, 17:49
I would love to see a Neocron 3 game launching.. I am pretty much sure that a lot of old school gamers would also get back to the roots and that there would be some new players, too.

Speedball
19-10-14, 18:00
I would love to see a Neocron 3 game launching.. I am pretty much sure that a lot of old school gamers would also get back to the roots and that there would be some new players, too.

That's exactly what I think!!

look :

- make an official poll (they are sites for this) to gather the number of people willing to donate/play (to) nc3. The community of ex-neocron players hopping for a sequel is HUGE (I guess little under 100% of people who ever tested the game)

- while launching the crowfunding, make sure that it leads to neocron2 site (the game is free to download obviously) to show how different from other MMOs neocron is. This would be the best argument/advertising for nc3, for people having no clue of what it is.

aKe`cj
19-10-14, 18:24
"people" are too scared that a failed crowdfunding campaign would put the final nail in the games coffin and devalue whatever hypothetical value is left on the intellectual property/brand. can't say I am hugely positive about the alternate route, that is, waiting for some money shitting angel investor to appear out of thin air.

hatmankh
20-10-14, 02:37
A failed crowdfunding campaign doesn't mean anything, they happen all the time and the games end up getting made at some point anyway. Sometimes financed with a second campaign.

Drachenpaladin, can you link us to that post please? Last I heard Kirk was trying to get investors for Neocron Reloaded, not NC3.

EDIT: Found it http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?155731-Hi-zusammen-Fragestunde-gef

So Kirk actually does want to do NC3 but doesn't want to use crowdfunding, (I read his posts with google translate) it's a shame Kirk won't start a campaign. I think NC3 could raise a lot of money, of course Neocron fans' money wouldn't be enough but I think there would be a lot of interest in NC3 from people who've never even played Neocron.

It's true NC2 would be a perfect advertisement for it, you could just tell potential backers: Think this but several times bigger with modern graphics, new features, minus the bugs and balance issues of course :p.

Speedball
20-10-14, 08:04
I think NC3 could raise a lot of money, of course Neocron fans' money wouldn't be enough but I think there would be a lot of interest in NC3 from people who've never even played Neocron.

It's true NC2 would be a perfect advertisement for it, you could just tell potential backers: Think this but several times bigger with modern graphics, new features, minus the bugs and balance issues of course :p.

yeah this is exactly my point. The demand in such a game is huge. And just imagine nc2 with ONLY a new engine. ;)

ps: an online petition/poll to show the amount of people would perhaps change Kirks point of view....

bmurph101
20-10-14, 09:46
I know something that helps a lot with crowdfunding (or population in general) is to record gameplay and put out videos of your experiences. Now that I'm PvP ready I'll be sure to make some vids of my adventures.

Not only that, but also its enjoyable for the community already playing. Was something that kept Darkfall alive for a lot longer than it should have been.

Brammers
20-10-14, 09:52
yeah this is exactly my point. The demand in such a game is huge. And just imagine nc2 with ONLY a new engine. ;)

With just a new engine? You need to update the GFX assets as well, otherwise the new engine will look not much better than the current engine.

AlvaroT
20-10-14, 09:57
With just a new engine? You need to update the GFX assets as well, otherwise the new engine will look not much better than the current engine.
GFX assets are easiest one tbh. Sound and music are far more difficult to make, not to mention eliminating zoning and such.

yavimaya
20-10-14, 11:28
Neocron 3 on cryengine 4.

Drachenpaladin
20-10-14, 15:50
Neocron 3 on cryengine 4.

According to Kirk they would use UE4. Not sure if Cry4 would be better, neither are made for MMO games but eye-candy, ideal for singleplayer games.

REVKhA
20-10-14, 18:38
Whoever is in charge of Neocron's I.P. should make a kickstarter for NC3 and make it finally happen.

Speedball
20-10-14, 18:47
Whoever is in charge of Neocron's I.P. should make a kickstarter for NC3 and make it finally happen.

I guess that the whole community wants that....

‡ Stormlord ‡
20-10-14, 22:26
For those who dont believe in crowdfunding for a game.. go look for Star Citizen, also go on wikipedia for it.

almost 60 millions... (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals)

Star Citizen is a game I am oberserving (among other games) and I remember last time they collected 50 million bucks and they are now on almost 60 millions.

Crowdfunding definitely works if theres a solid team of developers who will work on a game if theres a solid fan base paying for what they want to have. I dont see a problem paying for a team working on a game the persisting community wants.

Drachenpaladin
20-10-14, 23:35
For those who dont believe in crowdfunding for a game.. go look for Star Citizen, also go on wikipedia for it.

almost 60 millions... (https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals)

Star Citizen is a game I am oberserving (among other games) and I remember last time they collected 50 million bucks and they are now on almost 60 millions.

Crowdfunding definitely works if theres a solid team of developers who will work on a game if theres a solid fan base paying for what they want to have. I dont see a problem paying for a team working on a game the persisting community wants.

Kirk adressed that in his post, and NC is definitely not Wing Commander what ever kid out there has played back in the day, kids who are now grown up adults with a wage to throw at the KS.
Star Citizen is ofc paraded as the flagship project on KS but its actually unlikely that 10 million would come together for a potential NC3. That is the sum Kirk has stated in the past for pulling this project though (success not included).

yavimaya
21-10-14, 06:16
According to Kirk they would use UE4. Not sure if Cry4 would be better, neither are made for MMO games but eye-candy, ideal for singleplayer games.

Archeage is on Cry3, it is working very,very well for MMO so far, the only let down is that they made it kind of WOW style.
its got no synch lines, etc.....

hatmankh
21-10-14, 11:12
Kirk adressed that in his post, and NC is definitely not Wing Commander what ever kid out there has played back in the day, kids who are now grown up adults with a wage to throw at the KS.
Star Citizen is ofc paraded as the flagship project on KS but its actually unlikely that 10 million would come together for a potential NC3. That is the sum Kirk has stated in the past for pulling this project though (success not included).

He's still got more chance of getting 10 million from crowdfunding than from one individual or company. Can you imagine someone investing that much in Neocron?

Drachenpaladin
21-10-14, 15:07
He's still got more chance of getting 10 million from crowdfunding than from one individual or company. Can you imagine someone investing that much in Neocron?

... could you imagine ANYONE investing ANYTHING in the Uwe Boll movie productions? :p

Doc Holliday
27-10-14, 08:05
Archeage is on Cry3, it is working very,very well for MMO so far, the only let down is that they made it kind of WOW style.
its got no synch lines, etc.....

:0 not that well but its doing good.

William Antrim
27-10-14, 17:14
If it didnt have tab targeting archeage would be the bollocks.

yavimaya
28-10-14, 03:54
Doc, i didnt mean financially, no F2P is "doing really well".
i just meant anything that is needed in an MMO can be scripted for Cry3 and archeage has proven it completely, ignore development time. :P

hatmankh
28-10-14, 04:47
Doc, i didnt mean financially, no F2P is "doing really well". That isn't true at all actually, do you really think people would spend millions making all those f2p mmos you see nowadays if they weren't profitable? I'm not even talking about failed p2p mmos that go f2p as a last resort to make back some of their money, there's plenty of mmos coming out now that started f2p.

yavimaya
28-10-14, 08:34
most that i have seen have been subpar simply because they know its going to be free, Archeage is the only one ive seen (beyond BP) where the developer put in actual effort - especially graphically.

I cant see any of these F2P MMOs rivaling Neocron or UO where they run for 10+ years. F2P requires a large critical mass of players to have a small critical mass of paying players, once the game is slightly old and a decent portion of the players drop off, so does the game.

Morpheus
30-10-14, 18:37
i'd throw in a hundred euro, just for the imagination of seeing a NC3 sometime..

Dracain
08-11-14, 10:05
While I am skeptical about a Kickstarter campaign for NC3, I think a patreon campaign for the people currently keeping NC alive would be a much more realistic and doable idea. NC3 would require a lot of money, and a much larger community than what NC has right now, unfortunately. However, a Patreon means that NC could be supported, and with that continued support we may be able to bring more people in.

hatmankh
09-11-14, 04:26
People can and are doing that already. http://www.neocron-game.com/help-neocron-donate I couldn't find a link to that page on the site, I had to use a search engine to find it.

Xiphias
09-11-14, 13:45

I think it's awesome that Kirk didn't think those who cannot read German would like to know his most recent thoughts.

hatmankh
09-11-14, 14:12
Maybe he just assumed people would quickly translate it and post it here.

‡ Stormlord ‡
11-11-14, 22:19
I wish a millionaire would just support and donate the Neocron Development Team.

If I ever win, you got my donation.

Zoltan
11-11-14, 22:40
I wish a millionaire would just support and donate the Neocron Development Team.

<3 !

Morpheus
14-11-14, 16:13

All of us together, we are millionairs.. i shit you not ;)

‡ Stormlord ‡
20-11-14, 21:46
<3 !

<3 !!!

All of us together, we are millionairs.. i shit you not ;)

Well, that is so true! Either a millionaires supporting the NC Team or a lot of fans supporting and keeping up with the NC Team, with ideas, donations and marketing :D Best do it in both ways hehe