PDA

View Full Version : FoM is on Steam

AlvaroT
18-07-14, 13:01
Face Of Mankind appeared on Steam. First as Early Access, now in f2p section. We all know that if NC was on steam then there will be more players, but when I saw FoM reviews I am afraid that will do more harn than good.
List of things that people complain the most in reviews and what we can do in NC to avoid similiar reviews:

"Lack of tutorial" - NC has tutorial that need improvements as well as MC5 starter area.
"Clunky controls" - NC has no problem with controls if you get used to right click activate.
"I have no idea what to do" - It appear that people doesnt understand what "sandbox game" mean, we need to emphasis that in NC pve is only for brief preparation for pvp fights.
"Ugly graphics" - NC graphics are not that bad, pumping resolution of textures + some improvements for models and game still can live for next 10 years.
"Clunky UI" - rpos ui in NC is fine, just add how to use navray to tutorial, mission window could be little more informative too.

That's it for now, I will keep on eye for more reviews, elements that FoM have wrong, we could have better.

Zoltan
18-07-14, 16:33
Yes and this is the reason why Neocron isn't on Steam yet. There are lots of things that needs to be changed, improved or just fixed before any release via Steam happens but I am pretty sure we debated many times about it in the past.

William Antrim
18-07-14, 21:28
If you put NC on Steam now it would like Rocky fighting in the first Rocky film - hes good but hes not quite great yet.

If you wait for a few months/new year/whenever the balancing is finished then it would be like Rocky in Rocky 4... he would be pwning all the other free to play wannabes everywhere. With a small dev team working part time stuff takes time to get fixed but when its done you will probably see tonnes of people who have never heard of nc flock to play it because its new/free/something different.

At that point its up to the playerbase to make them stay.

William Antrim
18-07-14, 21:32
p.s If NC goes on steam it really does need a montage.

Drachenpaladin
19-07-14, 00:33
p.s If NC goes on steam it really does need a montage.

You mean... a montage? Fer al dem k3wl kidz0rs? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVyk5RRO6U)

Doc Holliday
20-07-14, 11:56
You mean... a montage? Fer al dem k3wl kidz0rs? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVyk5RRO6U)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-8hOKNbtxg he meant that ;) (its a quote from Team America tho.)

Massaker
20-07-14, 12:28
But you can add Neocron as third party game to you Steam library and you can do promotion by starting neocron with Steam ;)

Zoltan
20-07-14, 13:15
But you can add Neocron as third party game to you Steam library and you can do promotion by starting neocron with Steam ;)

Good point <3

MayhemMichael
20-07-14, 14:10
I say get this new patch out and the kinks worked out, if a lot of people start returning to the game and it gets the population to 20% release on steam. Continue to patch with content ect.

suspiciousgoat
21-07-14, 02:28
"Lack of tutorial" - NC has tutorial that need improvements as well as MC5 starter area.
"Clunky UI" - rpos ui in NC is fine, just add how to use navray to tutorial, mission window could be little more informative too.

I think the MC5 starter area should be removed entirely, throughout the years I have seen a lot of quick belts there. I think more players would have stayed if they had reached and toured the city.

The UI was better in NC1. Now its over the top, as if the person who designed it got a bit carried away trying to make it look futuristic.

Vid Gamer
21-07-14, 22:07
Wasn't there a dude once who was like ranked 40 still in MC5? When asked what he was doing there he replied he thought that MC5 was the actual game. lol

Zoltan
21-07-14, 23:10
Wasn't there a dude once who was like ranked 40 still in MC5? When asked what he was doing there he replied he thought that MC5 was the actual game. lol

Errrrr, yes there was a such guy :D

Dropout
22-07-14, 00:09
Errrrr, yes there was a such guy :D

That was you, Z.. Wasent it? :D

Bragi
22-07-14, 00:17
The tutorial was out of date when NC launched. Personally it should be scrapped altogether - without a full dev team, you can't keep it relevant at all times. Better to have ingame hints.

"I have no idea what to do" - It appear that people doesnt understand what "sandbox game" mean, we need to emphasis that in NC pve is only for brief preparation for pvp fights.

See above: While NC has always had a steep learning-curve, it also has some walls in too many places for basic things. I personally don't want info spoon-fed to players, but there are some major stumbling blocks in the early stages. Getting new runners clued into the idea that asking other players how to to do something right from the start as a norm needs to be made clearer.

"Ugly graphics" - NC graphics are not that bad, pumping resolution of textures + some improvements for models and game still can live for next 10 years.

The texture quality currently on the player models (and a few select others) is quite good, the style of said models I personally find lacking. From what I understand though, new models are difficult to introduce.

I personally like the design of the RPOS over the NC1 version, but have issues with it's 'hitboxes' (or whatever the term is). They overlap in a way that you click on an 'exposed' area to bring it forward, but you're actually clicking on another. The armour window is a prime culprit, even blocking you from placing items in others.

All of the above we are well aware of and are trying to address, but the actual amount of work required is far higher than people think. Work is being done, but it will be a wait. As ever, if you want to help speed it along, feel welcome to apply (http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?152177-Team-Expansion-amp-Application-Process) to join the NST.

wait for a few months/new year/whenever the balancing is finished

*Sprays beer over monitor.*

William Antrim
23-07-14, 22:02
*Sprays beer over monitor.*

Optimism like hope, springs eternal.

Its not an accurate guess then? New year is only 4 months away and there is still plenty of stuff to be fixed/balanced/changed/tweaked in nc.

RogerRamjet
23-07-14, 22:40

Sir Ramic Hobbs met a guy on Uranus like that. Amazing.

William Antrim
23-07-14, 23:26
Where the fuck have you been!

Bragi
24-07-14, 00:14
Optimism like hope, springs eternal.

Its not an accurate guess then? New year is only 4 months away and there is still plenty of stuff to be fixed/balanced/changed/tweaked in nc.

Not so much a time frame issue, but the idea that the game will at some point be 'balanced'. It will more likely be a continuous and probably never ending process of refinement. Currently we are going through a VERY rough stage to 'reset' a lot of the fundamental problems the game has.

William Antrim
24-07-14, 04:38
Some semblance of balance then. Even wow is not fully balanced when it comes to PvP. Every player in wow knows that there are overpowered classes at times through its history. Whilst nc is far different in terms of its game I make reference to the comparison in resources. Blizzard has infinitely more resources at its disposal yet still has complicated issues like this at heart. If nc was to return to something akin to its glory (before monkocron) where any class felt like it could compete with any other at cap then I would hasten to say nc is as balanced as any other PvP game out there.

At that point I would be hoping for content releases.

I think if you can make the defensive balancing - ie armour and implants - as fair as the offensive balancing then nc would have earned the right to make such a lofty claim.

Bragi
24-07-14, 21:07
I think if you can make the defensive balancing - ie armour and implants - as fair as the offensive balancing then nc would have earned the right to make such a lofty claim.

It's certainly my intention.

Dr Strange
26-07-14, 07:07
The texture quality currently on the player models (and a few select others) is quite good, the style of said models I personally find lacking. From what I understand though, new models are difficult to introduce.

While I think the cities and environment tend to hold well, at least to get the vibe of cyberpunk theme across, you got to admit some of the player textures and models are damn clunky. The Power Armors hold up very nicely but basic NPC's? They could use some work.