PDA

View Full Version : neocron2.tumblr.com - techhaven.org down? Get your Guides where ever you are!

DeathCultLegion
19-03-14, 22:25
neocron2.tumblr.com
Hey Runners,

techhaven.org seems a bit unstable or impossible to reach lately, due to infrastructure reasons and i found myself a bit lost on some quests or tasks in neocron without it, as well as my friends and clan-mates.

So i opened up the neocron2.tumblr.com (http://neocron2.tumblr.com) blog to collect all the useful guides i found in the techhaven-wiki or elsewhere, to get my hands on them every time i want, from anywhere i want. Even on my smartphone or tablet...
Audience:*suddenly crickets...* o_O

OK,OK, just kidding, but hey, its something :D.

See it as an alternative, if techhaven.org is down. I will post updates and will add sections for faction epic-guides, misc-quests and item-table's, if i find the time to fit them into tumblr.

Greetings from Germany
DCL

If you like my idea, you could post some requests in this thread, of what YOU think would be quite useful to have, but never found on techhaven.org . Like an accurate vendors-database - "Where to buy which item?" - i would really love that idea and maybe it'll be my next litte project to collect as many vendor-data i can and put up a nice table for all of us :)

aKe`cj
19-03-14, 22:45
I doubt that any blog style website will be able to compete with TH.org in usefulness and I find it less than charming to claim that TH.org has failed to deliver stability. Their service has been more solid than NC even. Hardware failures can happen and there is always archive.org and the Google Cache to help you out of your misery.

That said, best of luck with the project. Ripping off and redistributing other peoples content with disregard to the attached license is a good start, but won't be sufficient in the long run.

DeathCultLegion
19-03-14, 23:21
I doubt that any blog style website will be able to compete with TH.org in usefulness and I find it less than charming to claim that TH.org has failed to deliver stability. Their service has been more solid than NC even. Hardware failures can happen and there is always archive.org and the Google Cache to help you out of your misery.

That said, best of luck with the project. Ripping off and redistributing other peoples content with disregard to the attached license is a good start, but won't be sufficient in the long run.

hardware-failures can happen to anybody, so the best way to store information in a cloudbased-form, where the possibility of a hardware-failure is less likely to affect the service after all.
As i said, its an alternative if techhaven.org is unreachable and you are looking for a place for help or information. Further more, some of the guides seem a bit outdated or inaccurate for my understanding so i edited and added a piece here and there.

i don't want to replace or compete techhaven.org since its a great page and give's new and old players a place to find their information and get along with the game.
Since the guides don't provide any author i could refer to, i don't mention it :) - I've even posted techhaven.org as the best neocron-information-resource there is. So i think i am far away of being as toxic as you made it sound like. But i'll refer any of the guides to techhaven.org and credit them in the future.

nor do i want to ripoff anyone's content or the credits of their work. just a friendly neocron player that found himself lost @ some point and give a solution to a problem.
Dumb Question: What license do you mean and for which content? It's all shared publicly and i did disclaim that no copyright infringement is intended, even if there are objects that have to be licensed.

archive.org seems to be a nice way to access the contents of techhaven.org, but it lacks functionality and is a bit hard to read in my opinion, since its text-only.

google-cache is a goodway i never even thought of. thanks for sharing - works fine and better than archive.org
So folks - if techhaven.org is down - here is the link to the google-cache of techhaven.org:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:techhaven.org

nEo-1664
19-03-14, 23:27
The unplanned downtime was exactly that, and was only down for a day or 2.

I don't have any issue with competition, but I agree, a blog site isn't really a good way to stage it :(

Not to mention if things get updated and changed, the blog posts will be out dated, and massively miss-leading on searching.
If you want to help keep information up to date, then there is plenty of ways to help us on the THN ;)

Brammers
19-03-14, 23:48
neocron2.tumblr.com
Hey Runners,

techhaven.org seems a bit unstable or impossible to reach lately, due to infrastructure reasons and i found myself a bit lost on some quests or tasks in neocron without it, as well as my friends and clan-mates.

So i opened up the neocron2.tumblr.com (http://neocron2.tumblr.com) blog to collect all the useful guides i found in the techhaven-wiki or elsewhere, to get my hands on them every time i want, from anywhere i want. Even on my smartphone or tablet...[/B]
Audience:*suddenly crickets...* o_O [/B] [/B]

First off, the TH.org was down for 36 hours last week while I moved it (Due to the HD fail), and down for about 5-6 hours on Sunday due to an issue at the datacentre when the THN is temporarily hosted. Now in the last 9 years, I have a job to think of any other unplanned downtimes with the THN. Yes it's unfortunate, but these things do happen.

So to call the THN unstable or impossible to reach is a little unfair.

OK,OK, just kidding, but hey, its something :D. [/B]

See it as an alternative, if techhaven.org is down. I will post updates and will add sections for faction epic-guides, misc-quests and item-table's, if i find the time to fit them into tumblr.

Greetings from Germany
DCL

If you like my idea, you could post some requests in this thread, of what YOU think would be quite useful to have, but never found on techhaven.org . Like an accurate vendors-database - "Where to buy which item?" - i would really love that idea and maybe it'll be my next litte project to collect as many vendor-data i can and put up a nice table for all of us :)

Right tip for a good fan site. Don't copy and paste all the content or whatever you did. It looks rubbish. Also start small, and plan.

Also kindly ask for permission to copy content. I like to point to the copyright at the bottom of the page on most parts of the THN and I'm not seeing an email or PM asking for permission.

i don't want to replace or compete techhaven.org since its a great page and give's new and old players a place to find their information and get along with the game.
Since the guides don't provide any author

See here - http://www.techhaven.org/imprint.html and also here for example http://wiki.techhaven.org/index.php?title=EpicGuide:Brotherhood_of_Crahn&action=history

Nanook
20-03-14, 01:40
Brammers, you're being way too polite here. The quality of your work with THN is outstanding and I can not call techhaven.org unstable by any measure. What the other guy here is talking about your site is complete rubbish. I am sort of an IT pro btw and I do know what I'm talking about.

Torg
20-03-14, 13:49
i think we shouldnt blame DeathCultLegion for his attempt to help. appearantly he could have been much more successful in this attempt by asking brammers, directing more attention to our culture's common customs and, yes, planning ahead. its not ok to copypaste without naming and linking to the source, and tumblr just may be less than perfect for displaying a wiki-style knowledge base. so i want to thank DCL for his good will and suggest to collaborate more in the future. in other words: "Ey Alta, alles klaa, aba frag einfach vorher, ok?"

aKe`cj
20-03-14, 14:52
Dumb Question: What license do you mean and for which content? It's all shared publicly and i did disclaim that no copyright infringement is intended, even if there are objects that have to be licensed.

http://mirrors.akedo.de/gnu_th.png

The license is referenced and linked to on every single wiki page.
It is a fairly permissive license, but it still has to be respected. Maybe you want to read it before you copy more material and "stick to the rules". You don't even have to ask the THN people for permission ... thats just the nice thing to do in a community where we share a common goal.

i think we shouldnt blame DeathCultLegion for his attempt to help.

No one did ... it is just low to piss in another persons pond to advertise your own gig, especially if that gig consists of content copied from said other person. I applaud the attempt to help, but I criticise how this attempt is being made and even more so, how it was communicated.