PDA

View Full Version : Crouching to increase your range?

William Antrim
06-03-14, 06:19
Simple idea, works in the real world - why not in NC.

I dont mean doubling range or anything stupid but maybe just like a 20% increase on effective range.

I am thinking mostly of the benefit given to pistolers/psi users here. However I believe it should work uniformly across the board for ALL (non-drone) classes.

I think it should apply in PVP and PVE. Noone really crouches too much in pvp tbh, well not for long anyway but it would make it easier to implement wholesale i think.

However in PVE I think this would be a huge benefit. I realise that some pistols have a nice range - laser pistols for example - but I know there are a few psi spells that dont have much range. With PVE in its current state there are a few mobs that pistolers/psi users have huge trouble coping with. I think having this ability to crouch would help them with some benefit anyway.

Trivaldi
06-03-14, 12:47
Crouching already effects aiming. Crouching allows the reticule to close further when the user is crouched, effectively extending range. Can you expand further?

Dropout
06-03-14, 13:52
Crouching already effects aiming. Crouching allows the reticule to close further when the user is crouched, effectively extending range. Can you expand further?

That, and crouching makes mobs shoot your legs (thus lowering damage taken). So I think it have enough bonusses.
Although Im guessing that the leg-thing is a bug?

Doc Holliday
06-03-14, 14:44
I think thats logical. You present a smaller target to hit so of the 3 sections the mob aims for your leg where it would normally be your body or something similar? Warbots nailing headshots half way across the zone wouldnt be fun would they? :)

Dropout
06-03-14, 18:20
I think thats logical. You present a smaller target to hit so of the 3 sections the mob aims for your leg where it would normally be your body or something similar? Warbots nailing headshots half way across the zone wouldnt be fun would they? :)
Thats true I guess..
Yeah its bad enough that they do constant headshots if you stand up :p

Drachenpaladin
06-03-14, 18:48
Simple idea, works in the real world

I don't even...
O_o Come again? What did i miss in my years of sport shooting?! Are we talking range by improved accuracy or...

William Antrim
06-03-14, 23:00
At the minute the reticle on pistols stays wide open when beyond effective range of the pistol. If crouching increased that effective range AS WELL as increasing accuracy it could help pistolers.

I guess I should have put effective range in to the original post.

Correct me if I am wrong but my experience with pistols in nc is that if my gun has a given range of say 25m then my best accuracy is well inside that range. I do not get a fully closed reticle at the maximum range of my pistol. I get some accuracy but not a fully closed lock. If I crouch I get more closure on my reticle.

With my suggestion I wonder if it might be fairer to improve the effective accuracy AND range by crouching and taking aim. So my reticle will close to half lock at a greater distance and fully closed at maximum CURRENT range of my pistol.

I realise that we do not really have an accurate measurement system in nc currently, even the navray is borked in many places but I know what the current "engagement" range is for most of my pistols. In a lot of PVE this engagement range is very short. The mobs have a much greater range than the average pistoler/psi user and so due to lack of cover/alternate method of defence for certain classes many mobs can pwn the player long before the player can pwn the mob. When you have a group of mobs it makes things even tougher.

I realise there are methods to combat this, but they come from experience. Perhaps crouching and taking "aimed" shots (akin to being prone in the real world) will help this.

Is this a little clearer? Or am I getting myself mixed up?

Drachenpaladin
06-03-14, 23:28
Well yes, that sounds more like it makes sense. Wouldn't mind actually. Especially noob pistolz are in dire need of range :D

Netphreak
14-03-14, 21:45
At the minute the reticle on pistols stays wide open when beyond effective range of the pistol. If crouching increased that effective range AS WELL as increasing accuracy it could help pistolers.

I guess I should have put effective range in to the original post.

Correct me if I am wrong but my experience with pistols in nc is that if my gun has a given range of say 25m then my best accuracy is well inside that range. I do not get a fully closed reticle at the maximum range of my pistol. I get some accuracy but not a fully closed lock. If I crouch I get more closure on my reticle.

With my suggestion I wonder if it might be fairer to improve the effective accuracy AND range by crouching and taking aim. So my reticle will close to half lock at a greater distance and fully closed at maximum CURRENT range of my pistol.

I realise that we do not really have an accurate measurement system in nc currently, even the navray is borked in many places but I know what the current "engagement" range is for most of my pistols. In a lot of PVE this engagement range is very short. The mobs have a much greater range than the average pistoler/psi user and so due to lack of cover/alternate method of defence for certain classes many mobs can pwn the player long before the player can pwn the mob. When you have a group of mobs it makes things even tougher.

I realise there are methods to combat this, but they come from experience. Perhaps crouching and taking "aimed" shots (akin to being prone in the real world) will help this.

Is this a little clearer? Or am I getting myself mixed up?

Yeah, that's clearer and I think that's a good idea.

[Slightly Off Topic but using your suggestion]: Personnally I think Heavy Weapons shouldn't have the same range (or in this case effective range) as Rifles. So if Heavy Weapons had less range but with something like your suggestion was implemented then a Heavy Weapon user would have a chance in a long ranged fight against a rifle user if he crouched. Anyway I've gone far enough off topic for now.