PDA

View Full Version : Processor improvements

Zixxl
20-01-14, 17:44
Hello everyone,

I have taken a few thoughts on how to improve the processor, so that the operation would be more intuitive, especially for new players. Here is a mock up of the new UI:

http://zebra525.server4you.de/neocron/Processor.png

For explanations, another image with highlighted areas:
http://zebra525.server4you.de/neocron/ProcessorHighlight.png

Green: These are the "input" slots, where you put the parts for crafting, source item for ressing, scrap for recycling and so on.
Red: In this slot you put the tool for the operation.
Yellow: This is the "recipe" slot. In this slot you put empty datacubes for ressing, blueprints for crafting or items for cloning. If you recycle / repair / implant items, you would leave this slot empty.
Blue: These are the "output" slots.
Orange: The progress indicator.

Why those changes?
When i watch let's plays on youtube, almost every player put the tool in the big slot on the right. This is the intuitive way, every new player would use the processor. Only after some uses, players understand that this is the output slot. So better change this slot so it is actually the slot for the tool.
Also i added more output slots to the processor. If you recycle items, you sometimes get more than one item. Often one item will be placed in the output slot and all the other items will be placed in the input slots and you have to manually move everything to your inventory. With more output slots, this won't be necessary.
Last but not least: Constructing is really annoying at the moment if you build items in bulk. You have to manually move the blueprint to the input everytime you craft the next item. With the recipie slot, you put in all blueprints for the item you want to craft. Then you can simply hit start for each item, similar to researching.

Other thoughts? Would this improve the use of the processor for new players?

AlvaroT
20-01-14, 18:20
A miniwindow below with all components needed and marked green/red if something is missing?

Drachenpaladin
20-01-14, 18:27
Good thoughts i say.

Zixxl
20-01-14, 18:50
A miniwindow below with all components needed and marked green/red if something is missing?

Maybe something like this:

http://zebra525.server4you.de/neocron/ProcessorCrafting.png

Dribble Joy
20-01-14, 18:52
Last but not least: Constructing is really annoying at the moment if you build items in bulk. You have to manually move the blueprint to the input everytime you craft the next item. With the recipie slot, you put in all blueprints for the item you want to craft. Then you can simply hit start for each item, similar to researching.
The problem is macros.

Macroing in NC is not allowed. You don't have to move anything to the processor for research, but the window will randomly move about, preventing most macros from working. Adding this to other tradeskills is a possibility of course.

Dropout
20-01-14, 19:15
The problem is macros.

Macroing in NC is not allowed. You don't have to move anything to the processor for research, but the window will randomly move about, preventing most macros from working. Adding this to other tradeskills is a possibility of course.

That annoying thing it does, doesnt prevent anything tbh... All it does is piss off "legit" ressers..

Zixxl
20-01-14, 19:21
The problem is macros.

If they want to stick with the "cheat protection", they can add it to the other tradeskills. Most of the time you are waiting for the process to finish, so it is not a big problem to relocate the processor window. Although it is the wrong way to make crafting annyoing for the honest players in my oppinion.

A way to improve the cheat protection and make it less annoying for other players would be to merge the start and stop button to one single button (no active process: Start; Active Process: Stop). An autoclick macro would start / stop the process all the time.

jj dynomite
21-01-14, 06:48
I like the idea. What about getting poked? Maybe having a Pending Implant Slot on the F3 screen so the processor isn't even a part of it?

William Antrim
22-01-14, 16:28
I thought that the new "log out when youre idle" measure stopped macroing.

In the meantime however I am completely all for this new design. I love it.

Dropout
22-01-14, 17:35
I thought that the new "log out when youre idle" measure stopped macroing.

In the meantime however I am completely all for this new design. I love it.

You are not really idle when ressing though.. Not even if you arent there "in person".

As a sidenote: Im not in any way defending macro'ing or in any way approving of it (just incase some may think, that is what it sounds like).
Im just saying that you cant stop it - sadly.

William Antrim
22-01-14, 20:29
I watch movies and click the button when i do bps. I have been disconnected a few times, thought it was the same.

Dropout
22-01-14, 21:56
I watch movies and click the button when i do bps. I have been disconnected a few times, thought it was the same.

I do the same.
I have never been disconnected doing it. Well, maybe once. But that can happen doing anything ;)

AlvaroT
23-01-14, 09:39
Maybe something like this:

http://zebra525.server4you.de/neocron/ProcessorCrafting.png
Yeah, pretty cool

Cursed Shadow
23-01-14, 17:02
Why prevent macros though?
If you've taken the time to level a character to cap and then you want to be able to craft all kinds of goodies, the slot chance is so low and the grimace on people's faces when you ask for them to make you "50 Holy Rezz pls".

The only reason people do it is because it's boring and stupidly monotonous.
I should note that I don't use macros, I'm too lazy for it.

If people want to take their time AFK for hours making TL150 blueprints and running TL150 research missions when they're active for some in-game money. Fine. That's their bag, and inevitably they'll be providing a service to other runners.

People who macro actually do this game a favour anyway, it makes the game seem more active than it truly is.

Drachenpaladin
23-01-14, 17:51
Why prevent macros though?

*cringe*

Inb4 debate about ingame economy.
Inb4 debate about morality.

Cursed Shadow
23-01-14, 18:05
*cringe*

Inb4 debate about ingame economy.
Inb4 debate about morality.

This game's economy is already fucked though.
Morality? You're dealing with humans who will try to do things with the least amount of effort.
I'd rather buy macro'd TL150 cubes than have none available, same goes for many other blueprints.
If someone sat there clicking the button for every cube the price would be much, much higher.

I'm pretty sure farming tech parts is still more efficient in terms of time/resources versus monetary gain when you work it out.
So, in fact, I don't really see either of those things as good points.

Realistically this game should have a feature where you could churn things through your processor in the background whilst doing other things, it should be autopilot without having to be constantly restocked.

You see it as immoral/economy destroying because the game in it's limited implementation does not make it easier across the board.
If the game had an autonomous build system people would not need to use third party macros to achieve this.

William Antrim
23-01-14, 20:54
Morality in an online pc game. Seriously. People are getting arrested for comments on twitter for christs sake? Imagine if they copped a load of the Trade/Help Channel on your average saturday night!

The economy of NC is not fucked, it just doesnt use money any more. It functions as well as it can do under the circumstances it is placed in. Players keep inflation down on the price of parts and the cost of stores doesnt ever rise. All it does is provide a cash surplus which could drive up prices on rare parts but its up to the players selling them to either take swaps or ask for normal amounts of money.

The players who pvp regularly will be spending their cash on drugs/tips/medkits/stamina boosters/gr fees and those who like to collect stuff have their apartments to decorate.

There could be a few more cash drains sure but I wouldnt say the economy is fucked, thats a bit steep.