PDA

View Full Version : [OT] New GFX card...

Drachenpaladin
06-01-14, 21:02
Soooo, i happen do have my eye on a new GFX card.

I'm currently pondering, a GTX780 or R9 290?
The NVidia GTX780 offers me Shadowplay (*drool*, the wet dream of game recording) and ofc PhysX. ~460,-

Or an ATI R9 290, performance roughly on par as the GTX780 but as msrp only as much as a 770, offers me Mantle, tomorrows alternative to Direct3D and OpenGL... ~380,-

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Divide
06-01-14, 21:17
Right now, I'd choose the R9 290 and hope you get one that can unlock to a 290x.

I'm no industry analyst, but I would put my eggs in AMD's basket over nVidia's at the moment as far as performance/value and future scalability are concerned. The fact that AMD's APUs are in every current-gen console and Mantle is frothing up is going to propel AMD ahead in an interesting way. Not to mention the benefits of GPGPU are higher for AMD users with *coin mining. You could purchase an AMD card and have it earn back the money you spent on it before the end of the year.

That said, G-Sync is a sexy sexy technology that I would love to take advantage of. Too bad you have to buy a G-Sync capable monitor to take advantage of it.

/edit: This post was written by someone who has purchased nvidia cards exclusively for over 10 years.

Drachenpaladin
06-01-14, 21:28
Hmm... not going to buy a new monitor before i got a new card. So, won't profit from G-Sync soon.
Still... PhysX and Shadowplay *still drooling*

DogeCoin! Hmm...
Well, I could compensate for the price difference simply by selling the game coupons the retailers and the manufacturer throws at me with the GTX780...

I'd immediately profit from NVidia over AMD, but on the long run...

Divide
06-01-14, 22:24
Gotta keep in mind the coupons with a 780 are with every 780 so you will be selling to a flooded market. Also keep in mind that PhysX is not available in most games and many people consider it to be a gimmick in the first place.

However, PhysX can be used on an AMD-based system in one of two ways-
1) (This is the best option IMO) Install a low-power nVidia card and run cracked drivers.
2) Install the PhysX software driver to run PhysX on your CPU, and modify the selected game's config files to enable PhysX.

Drachenpaladin
06-01-14, 22:36
Tbh, I've played without PhysX so far and won't miss it therefore. But WHAT makes my panties moist is Shadowplay... like... for real. up to 10 minutes buffered gameplay footage, never miss an insane stunt or kill streak again...

AMD, y u no Shaowplay...

Divide
06-01-14, 22:46
This might do the trick:

http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/08/get-ready-for-new-radeonpro-infinity/

Seriously though, if Shadowplay is that big of a winner for you, this is really a done deal. Go team Green.

Divide
07-01-14, 23:03
solid post right here folks

Drachenpaladin
07-01-14, 23:18
Anyone speaking... Vietnamese?!^^

Bifrost
07-01-14, 23:43
Anyone speaking... Vietnamese?!^^

It wasn't Vietnamese. It was the language of Spam. All mods know that language very well around here. ;)