PDA

View Full Version : Will you go for SteamOS?

Torg
14-12-13, 18:56
Valve has published SteamOS Linux Beta for free download (http://repo.steampowered.com/download/). Will you check out (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU0MzY) this newest Debian-based-Linux for gamers? i definitively will, once it has left beta and added radeon support.

nabbl
14-12-13, 19:25
Valve has published SteamOS Linux Beta for free download (http://repo.steampowered.com/download/). Will you check out (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU0MzY) this newest Debian-based-Linux for gamers? i definitively will, once it has left beta and added radeon support.

xbox one > all :)

Gonna have a look at it nevertheless though.

Divide
14-12-13, 19:48
Thank you x1000 for bringing this up. I'm definitely going to at the very least attempt to adopt steamos.

Dropout
14-12-13, 20:59
I doubt it.. I prefer using Microsoft all the way..

nabbl
14-12-13, 20:59
I doubt it.. I prefer using Microsoft all the way..

xbox one user too?

add me: nabblschnur :)

Divide
14-12-13, 21:47
The benefits of running linux are pretty incredible. You can do with Linux and $0 what would run you tens of thousands of dollars on the Windows end.
The major pitfall being video driver performance and game compatibility. Hopefully SteamOS will start forcing the industry to bridg that gap.

Alduin
14-12-13, 22:55
I love Linux! It is a great freedom, however it is missing great games and sometimes also great tools (Visual Studio is simply the best IDE at the moment). Will definitely have a look at SteamOS but will probably stay with Linux Mint in terms of Linux.

aKe`cj
14-12-13, 23:58
Linux Mint

... my fav for linux desktops too.
Only surpassed by the lovely RHEL/CentOS for headless machines :)

Surprisingly, people do like to be able to play games on their desktops and so far that mainly equates to using Windows. So while I'm not really drawn to SteamOS myself, I have hopes this will be a great addition to the linux landscape, potentially increasing adoption in the consumer niche.

Michael Corvin
15-12-13, 10:51
... nabblschnur :)

einfach göttlich ^^

Dropout
15-12-13, 14:16
xbox one user too?

add me: nabblschnur :)

Nah havent bought one yet. Im not really a console person.. Bought a Xbox 360 when GTA5 got released.. So probably going to wait for GTA6 :p

Doc Holliday
16-12-13, 05:35
Nah havent bought one yet. Im not really a console person.. Bought a Xbox 360 when GTA5 got released.. So probably going to wait for GTA6 :p

i hope you got it cheap. The only reason my xbox live sub is still running is for gta five and i havent played it in a month because it sucks that bad. R* dropped the ball on that one. I can easily see it getting cancelled in the new year as gta online is truly that boring now that i dont see the point. single player was immense fun but i havent touched that since i finished it. I was hugely disappointed.

Back On Topic.

Hopefully SteamOs brings a better half way house between the world of linux and the world of windoze. I know friends who preferred linux to windows for the obvious reasons but hated having to set up games on linux because it was a real nightmare. If steam can bridge that gap somewhat and make it more friendly for the average user then yes i can see it really taking off. People tend to forget some people are still technological dinosaurs and will still stick to what they know best and for M$ thats a good thing.

Divide
16-12-13, 06:42
Gaming with Linux has been a torrid affair and ultimately is what has kept me from adopting for personal use as a desktop. I've run Linux as a server personally for the last 12ish years and professionally for the last 7. It's not the challenge of configuring wine or drivers or any of that -- it's the performance hit due to poor graphics driver development that has kept me at bay.

Linux has never truly had an industry-driven push to to get it to the desktop, and many people like myself would happily move over full time if graphics performance was on par. Dual booting is a lot more of an inconvenience than a lot of people want to admit. It's worse for me as my rig has two raid controllers, so boot time is horrendous.

I agree, though, that Valve has an uphill battle in front of them to make it as accessible as Windows for users who aren't really skilled in tech.

Ghostface_Speak
16-12-13, 20:29
xbox one > all :)

ônly if it was spawned by a GM

zii
16-12-13, 22:33
... my fav for linux desktops too.
Only surpassed by the lovely RHEL/CentOS for headless machines :)

Surprisingly, people do like to be able to play games on their desktops and so far that mainly equates to using Windows. So while I'm not really drawn to SteamOS myself, I have hopes this will be a great addition to the linux landscape, potentially increasing adoption in the consumer niche.

RHEL aaah. My only reason for running redhat is if vendor refuse to support their apps on Debian. I've been so let down with Red Hat's support. If I can have my say and make my own choice then we'd run apps that can run only on Debian and Solaris or HP-UX. Saying this Ihave just started migrating databases from RHEL and HP-UX onto Oracle Unbreakable Linux (OVM 3.2), so again I've lost control, but so far I've been happier with their support then RHEL.

On topic, and if SteamOS works then I'll really look into this and hopefully give this a shot. I used to favour Ubuntu for games and played NC through WINE, and later I went for an easier option with my new notebook and went with Windows. Good luck SteamOS!

William Antrim
18-12-13, 09:27
Valve has the customer base and buying power to make it a success. I really hope it is implemented properly. It would be huge for the games industry economically and hopefully for us as consumers.

William Antrim
18-12-13, 09:33
Valve has the customer base and buying power to make it a success. I really hope it is implemented properly. It would be huge for the games industry economically and hopefully for us as consumers.