PDA

View Full Version : [R#184-T#188] Test Server Patch Discussion

Alduin
25-08-13, 17:41
Cheers runners,

feel free to discuss the current testserver patch and especially the new feature Faction Warzones here. The corresponding patch notes may be found here (http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?152222-R-184-T-188-Test-Server-Patch-Notes).

Slauncha,
Alduin

flib
25-08-13, 21:51
Whoa, this Warzone feature looks awesome! Perfect for people like me, who don't want to leave their clan to join one of the op-fighting clans.

Once this is done, maybe it would be interesting to think about switching it around so that outposts are faction-controlled and warzones are clan-controlled.

firstnorthstar
25-08-13, 22:23
New Gamefeatures - i'm really impressed!!! :eek:

nabbl
25-08-13, 23:17
Since this is like the most awesome thing ever...

How about implementing a map for DOY. So we can see which sectors belongs to whom?
Of course with an API, so we can put that on the NIS

Mentioning in the City Com would be good too.

SilentEye
26-08-13, 09:58
Impressive stuff guys! Love it!

hatmankh
26-08-13, 12:08
New features? This is a really nice surprise, now I wonder what those benefits will be...

Torg
26-08-13, 12:20
so... pandoras box was finally opened (evil laughter). control of zones, they said. by factions, they said. unknown benfits, they said. i'm somewhat sure, they were speaking of a dangerous, cruel, dystopic, inhuman time ahead.

Trivaldi
26-08-13, 14:40
New features? This is a really nice surprise, now I wonder what those benefits will be...
Let it be known that if you have any suggestions for such benefits (including potential changes to OP bonuses to address any imbalances), we would love to hear those suggestions in the Brainport. It's also important to point out that the final zones for this feature have not yet been decided.

Kanedax
27-08-13, 00:23
I like it. Should add a whole new dynamic for unclanned pvp

Cursed Shadow
29-08-13, 12:35
I think big announcements like this need to be made in the official announcements section, and perhaps displayed on the main Neocron Game site.

Everyone I've talked to about this thinks it's fantastic stuff, we need to be using these kinds of materials to lure the players old and new to come back. Also, I fear fewer people visit the forums than IRC/Launcher/Main Site.

Start using that space, Twitter and Facebook to your advantage and get a buzz going.

nabbl
29-08-13, 13:38
Problem is of course that some of the new features are unfinished as they say. People could get mad when they experience that some things are not working correctly.

(remembering KKs Evo 2.2 Testserver -.-)

Cursed Shadow
29-08-13, 13:42
Problem is of course that some of the new features are unfinished as they say. People could get mad when they experience that some things are not working correctly.

(remembering KKs Evo 2.2 Testserver -.-)

I think the fact that new features are being implemented is enough to sing the praises and restore the faith of people though.
That's why most people left, they thought this game was not going to see new content, and that the combat would never get fixed.

Trivaldi
29-08-13, 14:03
If we are able to see there are no bugs in the many things sat on the Test Server right now, we'll starting really singing their praises once they hit Titan. ;)

OFT
08-09-13, 04:22
Once this is done, maybe it would be interesting to think about switching it around so that outposts are faction-controlled and warzones are clan-controlled.

Interesting! I am curious how such a system will affect the existing outpost system. What if warzones were just presently used to test new ways of taking over OPs? So by the end of this experiment, the final outcome would be:

Outpost fights are faction-controlled and fought at a faction-wide level. Clans that specifically took part in hacking an outpost for their faction may receive some special benefit. (This benefit could be the yet-to-be-implemented Warzone Reward.) This would add all the fun of a new layer of fighting to the world, but not introduce such a separate system of fighting that suddenly no one fought over OPs anymore or bothered to join clans. Instead, clans would be strengthened because factions would be strengthened, and as faction alliances change with storyline, enemy clans and factions might find themselves fighting along side their old enemies.

Cursed Shadow
09-09-13, 13:47
If we are able to see there are no bugs in the many things sat on the Test Server right now, we'll starting really singing their praises once they hit Titan. ;)

Triv & BiFrost:

- Have you tested all laser cannons, pistols and rifles from the lowest levels upwards?
- Has the damage been touched on these at all, or just the aiming output?
- Have all classes been tested in the new TG canyon areas to ensure they are viable levelling areas for most classes/specializations?

Although me and my 17th Squadron are typically known to associate ourselves to the Military Base, we will make an exception, and form a Special Operatives team to identify the weaknesses of the Canyon Facility and surrounding zones.

Agent L
12-09-13, 11:19
- Have all classes been tested in the new TG canyon areas to ensure they are viable levelling areas for most classes/specializations?

Why is this a problem? Everybody levels sewers/aggies/cyclops. Chars starting in CM just need taxi sooner than others.
Simply flag FA and TG same as CM, as "factions for advanced players" and it's fair enough.
Getting rid of the OZ Complex is certainly worth a few newbs learning to heed the warning. (everything beats starting in OZ Complex, because it's basically robbing ppl of their first apt)

OFC, having viable and balanced lvling areas is a good thing, but there are more pressing matters which should not be delayed because of that.

Agent L
12-09-13, 11:30
Firemobs seem to be no longer spawning in F12 (cycrow lab)

Trivaldi
12-09-13, 11:43
Firemobs seem to be no longer spawning in F12 (cycrow lab)
By "firemobs" do you mean a specific mob (e.g. Grim Chaser) or that there are no high level monsters at all in the sector?

In Canyon sectors where the mob loadout has been reviewed, there are now more locations mobs can spawn. While the total number of high level mobs has been increased, there are now far more possible locations. This means you will have to move around the sector a bit more in order to find monsters to fight. Those box canyons that have stood empty for years and no one goes in, might not be so deserted any more if people have farmed all the mobs near the roads and other land marks.

Also try killing some other mobs in the sector to kick start the spawn cycles. The way a zone initiates after a reset (required after patching that zone), means you might be seeing a lot of a certain mob you don't consider to be a "firemob" (assuming firemob is used in the normal way i.e. very high level canyon mob that drops techs).

Agent L
12-09-13, 12:28
By "firemobs" do you mean a specific mob (e.g. Grim Chaser) or that there are no high level monsters at all in the sector?

I meant "pale-white, moderately to dangerous surface mobs capable of setting you on fire". Spiders, Hoppers, Giant Raptors/Terroraptors, Terrormaulers/Grim Persys, Doomreapers/Grim Chasers, levels 45-120. I consider Terrorleapers firemobs too, even though they never spawn in "ususal" locations.

There is nothing in the zone except vultures, crunchers, rattlesnakes, wolves. /16 tops

It's my primary hunting ground and I believe I spent in this zone long enough to know how it "should" spawn. It's completely broken in my opinion. It even crossed my mind that all mobs were intentionally removed to stop interfering with opfights.

/edit : oh wait, there are some, clustered in weird location. Still, there should be at least 6 distinct and independent spawnpoints.

Trivaldi
12-09-13, 12:55
Still, there should be at least 6 distinct and independent spawnpoints.
This is what I was trying to highlight to you.

In order to make the Canyons less of an instant death trap for new Twilight Guardian Runners (and life a bit more interesting), mob locations in some Canyon sectors were changed (http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?152017-R-184-T-184-5-PTS-Patch-Notes) from their old many-years-and-counting predictability. As such the "usual" spawn locations will have changed with them. How the zone "should" spawn on Vedeena at R#184 is not the same as it currently does on Titan at R#183. Spawn behaviour of Terror Leapers also changed in the same patch.

I will investigate the scarcity of the mobs in the sector this evening, as that is not the intention of the change. Have you ventured around the whole zone, beyond these 6 locations? The intention here is to add some variety and address the incredibly boring predictability of hunting in these sectors. There should be significantly more - not fewer - high levels mobs spread across F12, you just need to venture off the incredibly beaten path to look for them.

EDIT: Also to be clear, this DOES NOT mean high level mobs no longer spawn in the vicinity of roads, land marks, or the original spawn locations. It just means they don't spawn there every single time. Previously (R#183) you had (for example) 15 mobs spawning in 5 locations, 3 varied mobs stood on top of each other every time at the same locations.

Now (R#184) you have (again an example) 25 mobs which can spawn in up to 35 locations. These locations are distributed in such a way you could find a pack of 3 Grim Chasers round a corner or a single 1 Hopper. A far more varied, unpredictable and exciting experience.

Your feedback suggests I need to tweak the mobs to locations ratio slightly, which I will look into after further tests of my own.

Cursed Shadow
12-09-13, 13:19
Whoa whoa whoa. Slow down.

You mean you made "FIREMOB HUNTING" more like actual hunting?

I just don't even know wha- *dies*

Careful, god forbid you make Prototypes spawn in places other than the rooms in Ceres Labs, or the MC5 commander appear in the various buildings as well as his three camps.

This game needed more variety, it should not cater for the lone hunter in all scenarios, as you said, there needed to be a few edge cases where the monsters can overwhelm you.

Agent L
12-09-13, 14:29
Yeah, I realized it when I noticed the TG guards. Sorry for the panic.
The spawn seems to be OK. One group is near the road to Catlock (but not on it), and lots of other mobs are scattered in north-east quadrant and east of the lab itself.

They are so scattered, it's ridiculously easy now. I killed Persy by just standing and holding fire.
Spawning in groups was what made firemobs dangerous.

Well, I miss the old layout. Especially on Persy Happy Hours, when nothing spawned but Persys, in groups of 3 or 4.
THAT was fun.

Trivaldi
13-09-13, 17:14
I had another cruise around the altered sectors last night. I'm not 100% happy with the spawn densities in play, they will likely be tweaked slightly before R#184 go live.

Dribble Joy
13-09-13, 18:39
They are so scattered, it's ridiculously easy now. I killed Persy by just standing and holding fire.
Isn't that more to do with the high level fire mobs being terrible at long range? Should anyone really be able to take down a percy single handedly?