PDA

View Full Version : Can we say Jesus in game?

Faid
12-06-13, 18:37
Since the term "Jesus" has now been deemed offensive I would like to know if we are allowed to say this particularly offensive term in game?

Will we be warned for using such offensive language or banned? Does this term also extend to other religious references? Can we say "God" ? Can we refer to things as "holy"?

Half the weapons in the game have religious undertones, is it ok for us to mention these items openly without fear of persecution?

I only ask these questions because it seems to be only selective terms or specific people that these restrictions apply to.

DIABLO666
12-06-13, 18:45
and more to the point is your name allowed! you are named after a armed robber redoine faid!! that could be offensive to any victims of his.

Faid
12-06-13, 18:55
lol is your name allowed Barney? Your forum name at least, theres no doubt about it.

And why is Nidhogg allowed his name? It's also a religious figure from History.

I think Tino has every right to be upset by this overt action against his characters name. I'd like to know why it's ok for some but not for others? And where is the line drawn? It's all well and good to get a discussion going only to have Nid close the thread and say too bad. Although I don't know why I even expected anything different at this point.

SilentEye
12-06-13, 19:02
In my opinion the line should be drawn at swear words when it comes to names. In regard to words used in chat, in my opinion every word should be allowed, provided that those who may feel they will be offended by these can utilize a chat filter which is enabled by default.

Faid
12-06-13, 19:06
It's obvious that the community thinks these things are acceptable, that much was made clear in Tino's other post before it was locked without any explanation. The Volunteer staff seems the think otherwise, so I would like to know where things stand with them regarding this issue. Because it doesn't seem to matter at all what the community thinks.

Kane Gregory
12-06-13, 19:10
I think the fact that he's called ingame "Jesus" isn't the real problem.
Maybe it's his beavior and usage of this name i.g.

Load_HeavyLoad
12-06-13, 19:11
tantamount to reverse discrimination really

evs
12-06-13, 19:12
I am currently working on creating my own religion which will involve things like cornflakes, no salt on a saturday and other such religious activities.
I'm wondering if I can be banned for being my own religious figurehead?
If so, could I counter this by performing my own miracles as demonstration of this?
Like beer into urine via the human body. That is pretty neat you must admit.

Faid
12-06-13, 19:23
I think the fact that he's called ingame "Jesus" isn't the real problem.
Maybe it's his beavior and usage of this name i.g.

If that's the case then GM_Blackivory was lying as to why he deemed the name Jesus offensive. If the player was displaying inappropriate behavior then he should have been warned or banned for that behavior, not because his char name was Jesus.

William Antrim
12-06-13, 19:34
Jesus Christ this AGAIN!!!!

hahahahahahah :D see what i did.

Nidhogg
12-06-13, 19:39
The answer was clear from the other thread; you can't have a character called Jesus. Can you say Jesus? Sure. There are no rules against blasphemy. Can you then take it over the line and start anti-religious ranting about the historical figure of Jesus? No. It's not really all that difficult.

The Red Guy
12-06-13, 19:43
Oh my... I already see the wave of monks namend mohammed, buddha etc coming :rolleyes:

DIABLO666
12-06-13, 19:44
The thing is though how is using the name Jesus a anti-religious rant? its simply a name, many catholic people use the name just like how a lot of islamic people use the name Mohammed. would the name mohammed be banned as well even if it was a person called mohammed just using their real name for the character?

Faid
12-06-13, 19:50
The answer was clear from the other thread; you can't have a character called Jesus. Can you say Jesus? Sure. There are no rules against blasphemy. Can you then take it over the line and start anti-religious ranting about the historical figure of Jesus? No. It's not really all that difficult.

It was actually as unclear as you could have possibly made it.

Why can't he have a character named Jesus? Is it strictly because it has some religious connotations in some parts of the world? And I'll ask again, why can you Nidhogg have a religiously based name but Tino can't?

This is what Im trying to figure out.

Nidhogg
12-06-13, 19:52
Some people could be offended by the idea of a character called Jesus being killed in a videogame, and it's difficult to argue that the name is common in post-apocalyptic Neocron. Also, you could have a problem if the character causes offence by doing or saying something offensive in the name of a religious icon.

In the end it doesn't matter. The GM team has asked that the character be renamed and the GM team has the last word.

Kame
12-06-13, 20:04
I'm offended by the Black Ivory GM name. It's obviously some sick twist on a racial slur.

Can it please be changed as well ?

The Red Guy
12-06-13, 20:06
Lets just blow this out of proportion for the sake of it...

Nordic mythology isn't a lived religion and I guess therefore ppl won't feel offended. I don't know one gaming company which allowes naming your character after a figure from any major religion. Guess why? To prevent mindless crap like this.

BlackIvory
12-06-13, 20:22
I'm offended by the Black Ivory GM name. It's obviously some sick twist on a racial slur.

Can it please be changed as well ?

No, see again and try to understand:
http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?146857-Neocron-2-2-Rules-of-Conduct

9. You may not use character names or organize any guilds or groups that are based on, or espouse, any racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-gay, or other hate-mongering philosophy, as long as they are related to races, religions, ethnic groups or other subjects which exist in reality.

Faid
12-06-13, 20:29
In the end it doesn't matter. The GM team has asked that the character be renamed and the GM team has the last word.

Well at least you admit that community input doesn't matter in the end. Congratulations with your last word.

The Red Guy
12-06-13, 20:30
did you just add that? ^^ I've read the RoC when the thread started and I could bet it wasn't there... Or I simply overlooked it.

9. You may not use character names or organize any guilds or groups that are based on, or espouse, any racist, sexist, anti-religious, anti-ethnic, anti-gay, or other hate-mongering philosophy, as long as they are related to races, religions, ethnic groups or other subjects which exist in reality

Guilds... c'mon. Please change it to clans :angel:

DigestiveBiscui
12-06-13, 20:45
I feel like i'm playing in communist russia right now

eNTi
12-06-13, 20:51
i don't understand how jesus is "anti-religious". it's EXACTLY the opposite. wtf do i not get here? i mean i do understand why these rules are there, but you gotta be seriously considering where you draw the line and start to piss off people for real.

Conduit
12-06-13, 20:57
There shouldn't be a problem with the name Jesus; after all it's a popular first name in Spain & many Latin American countries..
However if the character was called Jesus Christ, then that would be another matter, and relevant to the rules of conduct that you posted.

Sorry, but it seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me.
*shrugs*

Neallys
12-06-13, 21:07
http://i.imgur.com/mPt0Zwr.jpg

Mr_Snow
12-06-13, 21:26
No, see again and try to understand:
http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?146857-Neocron-2-2-Rules-of-Conduct
You seem to be the one struggling to understand. Perhaps you shouldn't condescend to other forums users so as to not look quite so foolish when it becomes readily apparent that you did not read the Rules of Conduct.

The Rules of Conduct state 'anti-religious'. Jesus is not anti religious. Jesus sucks, jesus is gay, Jesus etc etc are anti-religious. Jesus itself is simply not.

Lady
12-06-13, 21:40
The Rules of Conduct state 'anti-religious'. Jesus is not anti religious. Jesus sucks, jesus is gay, Jesus etc etc are anti-religious. Jesus itself is simply not.
But maybe a racist? http://www.antisupernatural.com/jesustheracist.html

But anyway don't you think that some religious groups see it as offensive then *Jesus* is killing people and sell drugs?
This is for me in some kind of *anti-religious* of the player who name his char like this! The team should delete this char without any further question ...

Nidhogg
12-06-13, 21:51
There must be something in the water tonight. :/

Jesus is not an acceptable character name in Neocron. It might be in Spain or Mexico, but Neocron is not set in Spain or Mexico. Also, this thread should not have been opened in the first place since the matter was settled in the last one.

Thread closed.