PDA

View Full Version : Mass Forum Email/Forum Amnesty

RogerRamjet
22-05-13, 18:59
Just a question, have the dev team considered emailing out everyone registered to this forum? I imagine a lot of people would still be interested to see this game is still alive and being worked out (and free!!). Plus the forums unfortunately aren't quite as active as they once were. Maybe a few old faces would at least hang around and shoot the breeze?

Also, what about unbanning people for past discretions :D We've all grown up these days (I hope :D)

Ascension
22-05-13, 19:10
Sounds like a great idea to me,

I think the question is when to do it, might be worth doing it when Sparta is running?

William Antrim
22-05-13, 19:12
Nidhogg vs Vetterox - Round 2.

I miss Marx's posts the most tbh.

Nidhogg
22-05-13, 19:44
I'm happy to review anyone's ban upon request - I've lifted a number already. Also, if you're posting under an evasion account and would like your original account back let me know (I promise it's not a trap!)

I'm not sure about mass-emails. We would probably want to wait until we reach a more important milestone.

Invi
22-05-13, 20:00
I'm happy to review anyone's ban upon request - I've lifted a number already. Also, if you're posting under an evasion account and would like your original account back let me know (I promise it's not a trap!)

I'm not sure about mass-emails. We would probably want to wait until we reach a more important milestone.

yea awesome. milestones!

good to hear things like this.
i hope somewhere there is a milestone for a serious serious business plan :)

mass emails meh.

Apocalypsox
22-05-13, 23:40
I think It's a good idea. I know a lot of old players that I don't know how to contact that would LOVE to hear NC is getting interesting again.

On another note, Mr. Ramjet, I wish to protest your signature. I do believe that is MY title you seem to be flaunting.

Doc Holliday
23-05-13, 03:49
Nidhogg vs Vetterox - Round 2.

I miss Marx's posts the most tbh.

Vet vs original monk. so much fun to read.

Carinth. always interesting and usually right.

Jernau. Same.

Shadowdancer/arcadius. hilarious.

Hivemind. When he did post he was someone to listen to and take note of.

with an unban we would end up with some total asshats back. Im sure some have grown up and i would hope so but knowing that some havent would just be too much to bear.

As roger said. we are all getting older. Do we not have less tolerance for idiots these days? i know i do. :)

its a big gamble. However. on the flip side when/if balancing gets started or finished that would presume to be a big enough milestone to me. especially if finished.

yavimaya
23-05-13, 04:31
I also think during balancing would be a good time to get more people in, they may not be coming back to the full majesty of NC, however there will be more players to hopefully get the balancing done quicker and more accurately.

Nidhogg
23-05-13, 04:47
Vet vs original monk. so much fun to read.

Carinth. always interesting and usually right.

Jernau. Same.

Shadowdancer/arcadius. hilarious.

Hivemind. When he did post he was someone to listen to and take note of.
None of those people you mention are banned.

frkline
23-05-13, 04:47

Howdy! I think it's a great idea. Seems like the worst outcome would be that someone unsubscribes from the email list, which wouldn't be different than their current status.

RogerRamjet
23-05-13, 09:01

That's pretty cool :) I think a lot of vets would be impressed with the Dev teams recent posts and develoments since taking over, especially some of the posts from Zoltan about make the game more hardcore again.

@Apocolypsox: I'm working hard to retain that title one day at a time :D

WooT
23-05-13, 09:58
That's pretty cool :) I think a lot of vets would be impressed with the Dev teams recent posts and develoments since taking over, especially some of the posts from Zoltan about make the game more hardcore again.

@Apocolypsox: I'm working hard to retain that title one day at a time :D

i think dev´s already achieved a milestone resetting everything and make the game fun to play again ;)
you just need to advertise it more and the people will come i guess(i infected 1 guy with neocron since im back and damaged infected me and that was just "word-of-mouth advertising")

so why not unban all the guys to bring back serverstats of 30+% each day - if they do shit again they get banned again so who cares ;)

Mokoi
23-05-13, 11:22
Just a question, have the dev team considered emailing out everyone registered to this forum? I imagine a lot of people would still be interested to see this game is still alive and being worked out (and free!!). Plus the forums unfortunately aren't quite as active as they once were. Maybe a few old faces would at least hang around and shoot the breeze?
(I hope :D)

It is something we have considered and are planning to do when we feel the time is right.
There are still a few roadblocks that need to get out of the way, including a decent PvP balance and the return of a proper website.
Like everyone else, I hope we'll get there soon™, but I would not hold my breath for any MMO making big calls to action in the middle of summer.
When we make the effort to greatly improve player population by means of marketing, we want the best chance of sustaining the population gain.

eNTi
23-05-13, 11:33
It is something we have considered and are planning to do when we feel the time is right.
There are still a few roadblocks that need to get out of the way, including a decent PvP balance and the return of a proper website.
Like everyone else, I hope we'll get there soon™, but I would not hold my breath for any MMO making big calls to action in the middle of summer.
When we make the effort to greatly improve player population by means of marketing, we want the best chance of sustaining the population gain.
i honestly don't see an improved player population without bringing the ui, graphics and handling to an acceptable level. there might be some retro gamers out there who can see past necrons MANY short comings, but almost all new players will be put off by the game big time. i think we can be pretty happy the game is till played at all.

but... i have been proven wrong before.

SilentEye
23-05-13, 11:51
I do agree with eNTi that many of Neocron's bulky and old handling will put a lot of new players off.

Lag, model animations and their smoothnes, synching, all that stuff that makes the game feel bulky and old, that only some of us can look past, will easily put others off.

The problem is that none of it is easily fixed and at some point I think it will be something we have to take as fact while the game is improved to the max within the shell it's in.

Doc Holliday
23-05-13, 12:23
None of those people you mention are banned.

I know. All of em were people with a reasonable level of intelligence and some very active forum members once upon a time. made for some great reading when i was stuck in a lame ass telesales job back in 2003. ;)

@Enti and Silent. The hud can be edited and changed. Whos to say that wont happen in the future. Features can be improved upon. Polish added etc. Graphics are not everything when at its core you have an MMORPG with First person shooter style combat. (i ignore pve as its not the games main draw in my eyes. not even close)

They asked for web designers and gfx people so you dont know what magic they can work up next. Im still genuinely bowled over by the april dev update.

Your glass may be half full or it may be half empty. I, on the other hand, need a bigger glass :)

SilentEye
23-05-13, 13:04
Your glass may be half full or it may be half empty. I, on the other hand, need a bigger glass :)
My glass is half full mister, hence why I am still here having a blast in-game :)

Mokoi
23-05-13, 13:29
i honestly don't see an improved player population without bringing the ui, graphics and handling to an acceptable level. there might be some retro gamers out there who can see past necrons MANY short comings, but almost all new players will be put off by the game big time. i think we can be pretty happy the game is till played at all.

but... i have been proven wrong before.

Neocron is still fairly unique of a game that has a soul to it and a small but die-hard fanbase.
Run by volunteers, free of charge we see a slight "indie benefit" ... that goes a long way in terms of forgiving substandard tech.
We had peaks of 40% and more already with little to no advertising.
There are still thousands of former players out there that do not know of Neocrons ressurection.
There are even more folks out there that have never even played Neocron or know it can be played for free.

I have no doubt at all that we could bring TITAN to full capacity and well beyond once a number of key issues are resolved.
The graphics, albeit steady progress in that area, are not one of them for me.

SilentEye
23-05-13, 13:34
The graphics, albeit steady progress in that area, are not one of them for me.
I agree with all that you say Mokoi, but reading this I think will play a big role for a lot of players (read: not myself).

Some simple things are just the fact that laser pointers don't point in the right way (the weapon model is facing the wrong way), weapons are not held correctly (they hover in their hands), flash lights are pointed downwards. Animations are stiff, running with a weapon in your hand makes your torso stiff, it has no running animation basically, and others.

These are the first things a new player will see, before experiencing the full Neocron effect. And I think for a lot of people it will mean that they won't give it a chance.

(read again: not for me :))

Load
23-05-13, 13:45
I agree with you silent in that graphical problems where something thats implemented isnt working as intended needs to be fixed/updated but to me overhauling the engine or models/graphics is lowest priority

Strife
23-05-13, 15:01
I'd love to see NC2 on Steam someday as a free to play. I don't know if it'd peak over 50%, but you'd still get the steady stream of players coming in.

Dropout
23-05-13, 15:14
I'd love to see NC2 on Steam someday as a free to play. I don't know if it'd peak over 50%, but you'd still get the steady stream of players coming in.

Steam would definitely help a lot of the population, but A LOT of work to NC is needed before its ready for something like that IMO.
(We are very much going in the right direction atm though)

Drachenpaladin
23-05-13, 15:52

After witnessing a steam launch with a different game i'd say:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7SAr_8KM1t4/UPgCsBbLpMI/AAAAAAAAEVo/gw8skzx8d74/s400/michael-scott-no.gif

Doc Holliday
23-05-13, 16:51
If im dead honest (and maybe mildy crazy) i think the dated graphics could be a benefit as much as anything.

Lets face it anyone who dismisses the game because its not crysis 3 is either A. very young or B. very stupid or C. a combination of both.

Do you really want a +1 to the pops that bad? I dont think i do. It will kee ip the younger idiots away who jump around f2p games purely for the fact its free. Anyone with a decent level of intelligence will take a look and the shooter fans out there will certainly be intrigued by it all im sure (im a shooter fan. i cant wait for bf4 but i wont neglect nc).

With the right push behind this game who knows what could happen. It is an indie game of a sort in its own right. Maybe somehow one day a decent publisher comes in and helps out or even gets it really rolling and doesnt need to be voluntary funded. maybe somehow we as a community can fund it and grow it even more when we can chip in money for it.

Heres food for thought. Say we, as the community, were told ok we need x amount off each member of the community so we can license xyz engine and really grow this game.

Would you pay? This is much more than a kickstarter that may or may not happen. This would be crowdfunding with an actual real tangible asset. Me personally i would hope i could write a 4 figure cheque. The $ is strong right now :)

RogerRamjet
23-05-13, 17:10
Neocron is still fairly unique of a game that has a soul to it and a small but die-hard fanbase.
Run by volunteers, free of charge we see a slight "indie benefit" ... that goes a long way in terms of forgiving substandard tech.
We had peaks of 40% and more already with little to no advertising.
There are still thousands of former players out there that do not know of Neocrons ressurection.
There are even more folks out there that have never even played Neocron or know it can be played for free.

Indie.. I like it. There's definitely a cosy little niche for NC to fill :)

As for GFX... I'd still play with NC1 graphics if it meant gameplay, balance and content was good, as I'd expect most people who have every played this game would.

SilentEye
23-05-13, 17:12
Indie.. I like it. There's definitely a cosy little niche for NC to fill :)

As for GFX... I'd still play with NC1 graphics if it meant gameplay, balance and content was good, as I'd expect most people who have every played this game would.
You see, I completely agree with you because in my opinion, animations were a lot smoother in NC1 and all the weapons were held correctly, etc.

I'd be sextremely happy to go back :D

Deus Ex Machina
23-05-13, 17:24
[...] but almost all new players will be put off by the game big time. i think we can be pretty happy the game is till played at all.One important thought is: Neocron doesn't need mayn players at all. If we look at todays population numbers with MMORPGS (that also have always multiple servers) and other Massive games, and also the increased population of gamers out there, it is only a small part that must feel the appeal of Neocron - that I know no other MMORPG out there to have - to have our ONE server very very full again.

But I agree, the first impression bugs should be killed off before reaching out to new players. Old players still know them, but they still need some appeal, at least it will better hold them than the promise of a better balance if there IS a better balance.
i just hope we don't wait to long and lose momentum on the way ;)

Sonder
23-05-13, 18:59
gooby pls unban my accounts

Sonderschule
White Berry
Black Berry
Isaywhatwhatinthebutt
Sonder
Orsongziggidonkykong
Discordia
Sonderschool
Robert Willy Wolfgang

AND PLEASE unban jini the best player ever in neocron
thank you

Vila
23-05-13, 19:04
Amen.

Sonder
23-05-13, 19:08
guten tag :D

AKAOnstar
23-05-13, 21:39
Just to toss my newbie 2 cents in, the graphics are part of the appeal of Neocron for me. Yes, they aren't GW2 or BO2 or even WoW level, but they make the game feel real. Combined with the audio, Neocron FEELS alive. While I wouldn't mind seeing the graphics updated (not too much mind you, I'm on an older computer), I would rather see balancing, tweaks, and behind-the-scenes action make the gameplay smoother. Possibly a little more guidance in the beginning for new players, I can see some 13yr old CoDhead getting on, doing the Jones mission then saying "Now what, I'm lost".

Just my 2 creds :P

Mr_Snow
24-05-13, 03:06
PM sent to Kirk in October:

Hi Kirk, just a small suggestion. I think you should consider a general forum/game amnesty (except for cheaters). An awful lot of people burned out on NC, and burned out quite visibly and bitterly on the forums resulting in bans. I'm sure many of them would love the chance to return, especially with such positive signs showing.

Anyhoo, that's it.

Cheers, and kudos on your work so far.

No answer, and no action, but hardly a big deal :)

RogerRamjet
24-05-13, 08:49
You put it better than me :D

Dropout
24-05-13, 09:23
...I like the Graphics in NC..
Its not cartoony as most MMO's out there, and that makes it (in my head) one of the better looking MMO's out there..

Buuuuuut Im probably blinded by the MANY years I have played this game lol :p

eNTi
24-05-13, 10:00
gooby pls unban my accounts

Sonderschule
White Berry
Black Berry
Isaywhatwhatinthebutt
Sonder
Orsongziggidonkykong
Discordia
Sonderschool
Robert Willy Wolfgang

AND PLEASE unban jini the best player ever in neocron
thank you
i thought you were a convicted cheater and banned for life by kk for excessive hate speech?

Mokoi
24-05-13, 11:30

As Nid pointed out, forum account bans can and will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
That said, the topic of bans is not up for discussion on these forums.

Please contact a moderator or account@neocron.info if you require assistance on such matters.

-closed