PDA

View Full Version : Redesign: Construction

Hotschie
10-05-13, 13:55
Hi Folks,

i just wanne post my idea to redesign the constructing part of Neocron. I played NC1 and a short period of NC2 and it was also the same boring thing you have to do as a conster. Buy Chem's/Part's merge with blueprint in the processor, klick and wait. Some people "xploit" this by using a third party program so the dev build this "jumping feature" to avoid this. That's ok, but nower days this art of construction is outdated i think.
After playing a lot of other mmo's i returned to NC and find a game that still makes a lot of fun and is better supported as in the first years i played but the construction is still annoying.

So here is my idea:

Bring a option to the processor, where you can choose an amount of how many WP's or whatever u wanne build.
The processor now works alone constructing the amount you want depending on the disposability of chem's etc.

This option dont effects the rarepart construction but makes it more comfortible to be a constructor in NC. I think you dont have to bind the players on that way to stay in front of the computer because all the people playing NC right now are big fans and the new runners are fastidious from other mmo's so they maybe find the "old" construction mechanic outdated.

The time it takes to build a WP is a little bit to long also i think. I dont have build any rares yet, so i cant say something about that. But i dont wanne make a suggestion here to change that right now.

Please excuse my maybe bad english and discuss my idea. I am happy on every reply.

Greetz

Hotschie

SilentEye
10-05-13, 14:07
I like the well thought out and well described post, however I don't agree with you.

The fact that constructing something is a labor intensive process doesn't justify your suggestion from a roleplaying perspective.

I hope you can understand that :(

SynC_187
10-05-13, 14:37
I'm half way between the two points above.

The reason for it being how it is, it to stop afk constrution. You are playing a character, not loading a factory.

The annoyance I find is the constant moving of BP's.

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I would prefer to see the ability to drop a stack of BP's into the processor, then just click start each time to start the job. I would still have to be at the computer actively playing, but I wouldn't spend all my time juggling BP's. This would put constructing in line with researching where one click and you do another.

eNTi
10-05-13, 16:43
i'd suggest a reward system. quality, speed, success ratio influenced by some sort of mini game in the spirit of hacking. you don't have to do it, but you will get better results if you do. there's even a mini-game i played on linux and it's free too. it's about rotating a series of junctures in so that they create a flow that connects certain points. the higher the tl, the more points need to be connected. you can combine this with the op idea of creating whole stacks of items in succession. you don't have to play, but then it will take like 200% longer and you can only achieve like 2 slots... you get the idea.

SilentEye
10-05-13, 17:02
Don't fix what aint broken boys :)

Chipmonk
10-05-13, 17:36
Making construction better was also discussed in this thread:
http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?149795-Make-construction-better

William Antrim
10-05-13, 22:19
Don't fix what aint broken boys :)

Unless it is broken and generally so outdated that it is laughably boring.

Queuing up a construction/research queue of ten (or more even?) items - like mentioned in that thread and like the original poster mentioned would be a boon for tradeskillers everywhere.

People should not be chained to their keyboards constructing stuff endlessly to get anywhere with it. They should be out pvping. If they could do this (build queue) and have a dual logged player to have fun on then I think a lot more people would pvp more and be out doing other stuff like farming rares.

All in all you're removing a time sink from the game which is in itself a brilliant idea as it keeps people playing.

So yeah - it is "broke" and it does need a fix.

eNTi
11-05-13, 00:46
Unless it is broken and generally so outdated that it is laughably boring.

Queuing up a construction/research queue of ten (or more even?) items - like mentioned in that thread and like the original poster mentioned would be a boon for tradeskillers everywhere.

People should not be chained to their keyboards constructing stuff endlessly to get anywhere with it. They should be out pvping. If they could do this (build queue) and have a dual logged player to have fun on then I think a lot more people would pvp more and be out doing other stuff like farming rares.

All in all you're removing a time sink from the game which is in itself a brilliant idea as it keeps people playing.

So yeah - it is "broke" and it does need a fix.
i highly disagree that afk "playing" should ever be a thing. even my posted idea has this short coming though. crafting should be engaging and rewarding. it currently is a strain on my wrists, mindboggingly boring and tedious as hell. the ui doesn't help one bit.

Hotschie
11-05-13, 00:55
Today i build 200 WP 9, 2x 50 TL ~80 Ragun Cannons and 50 Ryker Volcano Grenadelauncher and i do quite nothing more then put a bp in the processor window. Yeah selling the crap i const was the second part today. This is not the way i want to play NC. I cannot buy good crafted weapons because i save my money for some rares etc. So it get me totally bored to do that.

The roleplaying perspectiv i cannot see. You can travel around the world in a GR, teleporting you to the place u wanne go and there is no contingency to make a build queue? That sounds "funny". Sure, constructing is a hard job and you character cannot do anything else while constructing things. If u wanne be a good constructor, your char cannot do anything else so he cannot take part in the rest of the game. NC is a PvP game with all those Op Fights, open PvP etc and there is no place for a constructor. I dont want a full automatic buy > build > sell mechanic, only a option for a constructing queue.

The construction is absolutly outdated i think. You scare new Players with this. They want to explore NC and dont wanne push the BP from inv to processor. You have to adapt the game mechanics up to date. Many players are spoiled from other games. Today u dont want to make those stupid cursor moves, u want to play, explore make pvp or so. Sure there is a small group of people loving tradeskill's but most of the players want it a bit easier. I dont think that making construction easier is the wrong way to hold people at NC. NC is, in my opinion, one of the innovative mmo, coming out the last 13 years. Many things you find in NC, other games tryed to copy but never reached, on the other side games like wow make some things more user friendly and i think here is the point, where NC can learn from.

Hope u can understand what i mean.

And yeah, i would like to go to kitchen and make me some food, while my character is constructing me a BIG F***ing GUN and after i return, i want to test this gun out in OP fights or what ever.

Doc Holliday
11-05-13, 11:40
I like the idea. a cap on the amount of bps to be done in a batch would limit this "AFK construction issue" and makes it more automated.

Lets face it guys. People of today LOVE convenience and if its not inconvenient its less likely to be attractive to someone without it being essential.

Hotschies idea is a step towards making this construction and especially batch construction worth while. It would make trade skillers more fun to play as you could set up a batch job on one char then use another to do something else like for example a barter to buy stuff you need or perhaps to sell of the guns that you already made etc. you could have a trade skill clan that actually builds and sells guns to make a profit with the 4-5 slotters being kept for the public market. Other stuff getting sold to yos etc.

people posting in the brainport really need to be a bit more forward thinking, open minded and less dismissive of things when they are posted. i would love to see more people who can actually discuss the merits etc of an idea without just shutting it down off hand.

this is one of those threads that will be discussed time and time again. i feel the OPs points are valid.

Hotschie
11-05-13, 12:29
The limitation of constructing is already there. The max Free Load you can carry. Especially the heavy weapons constructing is "heavy weight". The only problem i see are the psi spells. They are lightweight and for some spells u dont need many wp's. Here is a build limitation necessary. But this is only on the low Tech Levels i think except Holy Energy Halo. With the amount of free load u can work proper and cannot build a 150 cannon/rifle queue without dropping items.
I think the limitations except PSI is good like it is. Maybe a general 50 bps const queue will work as well.

And i can remember that we discuss this 13 years ago too. But at this time, there were no other real good mmo's to compare. Nowerdays you have to take a look beyond one's own nose. This construction method is outdated and if u want new players, or players to stay and play the tradeskill parts of NC u have to make a few changes. I think my suggestion is a small but effectiv step into the right direction.

I hope we can get a reaction of one of the dev's here.

eNTi
11-05-13, 12:59
i don't think that they HAVE to change the system. it would certainly be a welcome change, but i don't think there's actually resources for that kind of development. it's tedious, but that's what work feels like most of the time. the sense of achievement comes from doing this work and have something created in the end. without the work, the achievement wouldn't be as rewarding if at all. it's like starting out an rpg at max level with every item. why would anyone play that?

boreal
14-05-13, 04:04
i don't think that they HAVE to change the system. it would certainly be a welcome change, but i don't think there's actually resources for that kind of development. it's tedious, but that's what work feels like most of the time. the sense of achievement comes from doing this work and have something created in the end. without the work, the achievement wouldn't be as rewarding if at all. it's like starting out an rpg at max level with every item. why would anyone play that?

good point. at start making some stack seem good and even need idea. but i know that the best moment (well some of them) was when me and my brother start to make a 50-80 batch of a weapon (BP everything to the chem) and at the end see a nice 4-5 sloted whit name on it. Sure it take a few hours but... that feeling is a good memory !!

Nanook
14-05-13, 06:51
I don't think the actual construction system should be changed. However, the requirement to be on the computer clicking the button to start a new build one item after another is bit silly. If you have materials for 20 RK-1000 drones then why not allow building the whole batch with just one click? You have already done the hard work of gathering the materials and the building part should be just automation.