PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Seeking information about the game

foxfire29
08-05-13, 15:17
Hi all ,

Just wandering is PvP a big part of this game and do you lose all your loot ?

Also I want to play a Spy I think as they have good psi abilities and ranged weapons maybe?

Is there a sort of quest storyline as opposed to ordinary quests?

Should I read a guide before playing or jump right in?

Is this game fun for a long time, if so what has kept you playing? What is it you enjoy doing?

How is the loot system? Does the game shine in this regard?

What sort of faction starting location should I choose bearing in mind I plan to invest loads of time into the game and want to have a powerful end game character?

What does the Neocron end game consist off?

Is there more exp for grouping while questing?

Thanks all :) :: N.B Im looking for some players who are just starting and are in the same boat as me to quest with

nabbl
08-05-13, 15:30
Hi all ,

Just wandering is PvP a big part of this game and do you lose all your loot ?

###yes.. big part, but random loss of at least one item###

Also I want to play a Spy I think as they have good psi abilities and ranged weapons maybe?

###psi ability is not so cool. but they can use resist nanites. ranged abilities are great though###

Is there a sort of quest storyline as opposed to ordinary quests?

###yes .. watch the neocronicle###

Should I read a guide before playing or jump right in?

###jump in and ask your questions in the help channel (hit F1 for Communicator and go to the custom channel. select: player to player help channel###

Is this game fun for a long time, if so what has kept you playing? What is it you enjoy doing?

###playing it for 8 years now... because it is just awesome###

How is the loot system? Does the game shine in this regard?

###I don't understand the question..###

What sort of faction starting location should I choose bearing in mind I plan to invest loads of time into the game and want to have a powerful end game character?

###protopharm to do the epic. you can change your faction after that###

What does the Neocron end game consist off?

###PvP, PVE, RP, Trading. Players create their own endgame...###

Is there more exp for grouping while questing?

###It depends on the monsters your fighting.###

Thanks all :) :: N.B Im looking for some players who are just starting and are in the same boat as me to quest with

Added my answers above.

SynC_187
08-05-13, 15:41
Hi and welcome!

This is a PvP centric game. It is possible to play PvE only, by keeping a brain implant in called the Law Enforcer, but the last patch reintroduced penalties for keeping it in. If you have removed your Law Enforcer you drop a belt on death which randomly contains at least 1 item from your inventory. These have to be hacked by other players to take the items. You do have a safe slot, which as long as you have high Soullight (you are on the light side) protects your most treasured item.

Rifles are good although the graphics engine limits their range a bit. Spy will access the highest level of rifles, however their PSI is limited to basic spells.

There are some basic storyline quests, but it's not WoW.

There are guides on here and Tech Haven Network (http://www.techhaven.org) is a great resource.

I've been playing since 2003 (with the odd break). There is a lot to do and a lot to explore. Although the end game is limited, development has stepped up recently, so hopefully it will improve.

I love the whole loot/tradeskilling system in this game. Basic items can be store bought at low quality, researched for blueprints and then constructed to make better versions. Rare items are built from loot parts which have to be researched to identify them.

Moving around faction is quite easy, where to start depends on your character. Different factions have different rewards for epic missions, so you might find you work through a few factions to get the bits you need before settling on a final faction.

End game is fighting for control of outposts against other clans/factions and working for very high end rare items.

Grouping can give more xp and also help you level skills your class is slow to level.

As you can have 4 chars, and a lot of old players are returning, you shouldn't find a shortage of people to level with.

Invi
08-05-13, 15:58
there is no linear quest/storyline like you know it by modern mmo's. but there are quests ala "go and kill 5 of those and come back" quests which can help you level but are not obligatory.

you most likely will not figure out this game only by yourself. if you don't know what to do: ask other people!

there is a help chat in game and people here, as you see, are very friendly and helpful to new players. use this :)
this game gets good once you start to immerse yourself into the world and start to know other people (which you will if you want or not). the first week may be a bit dull - so keep on playing.

foxfire29
08-05-13, 16:16
thanks very much for the informative responses from everyone, look forward to seeing you folks in game, I have some RL stuff to attend to then I will be on all night :)

J@ck on Cr@ck
09-05-13, 15:55
What is your ingame name?

I meet a guy who is new to this game aswell. I think it would be nice for both of you to head out and explore Neocron together, what do you think? :)