PDA

View Full Version : Making PSI Hybrids more viable

Deus Ex Machina
08-04-13, 13:40
As I still am on bad footing with monks since Monkocron, I have not that much experience on Monks, but I know once in a while I'd like to play one (PPU mostly). Nevertheless I had some thoughts about hybrids, since I kind of miss them:

Hybrids are by definition the only class that uses APU and PPU together. The negative effect of APU to PPU and vice versa only affects them (and maybe one or two crazy PEs, but they are irrelevant in that regard, since they were not the target of the negative effects).

So it is a kind of a triple negative that was imposed on them:
-) No PA bonus (that one was always there)
-) Less Damage because of PPU
-) Less Protection because of APU

I tested a Hybrid on the Testserver once, and it was very sad. Now since they are the only class hit by those negatives, it might work to only have on side of the nagatives - either only APU lowers Protection Power (making viable a very good protected Character with minimal damge output), or only PPU lowers Attack Power (making viable a good damage character with a bit of protection an heal). Or the negatives for both are reduced to maybe half.
As always it is hard to say if the numbers are correct (especially with the problems an APU alone faces today), but I think it would not make them too strong again while sending a bit of playability their way.
And most important: It seems to me it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

What do we win: A bit more diversity in classes that run around. (Maybe)

onero S
08-04-13, 21:16
A hybrid malus has always been a horrible idea. It's uninuitive, lazy, and a bandaid solution. The proper way to address hybrids (and 2.1 came close to this, though they were a bit too strong) is through careful balancing of implants, PA, drugs, and skill requirements on psi modules.

I am very strongly against any effect not explained in stats. A char with 50 psi and 50 PPU should be exactly the same as another (with regards to what those skills influence). Hidden negatives are not needed.