PDA

View Full Version : Neocron on Steam?

Nitro_2_go
09-03-13, 01:31
I have no idea how hard it would be to pull this off but if Neocron was a free game on steam we would have ALOT of new players

Any thoughts?

Mokoi
09-03-13, 01:43
Steam is not an option right now for a number of reasons.
We have not started to advertise and campaign for new players really and we hold back such efforts on purpose. We're happy for everyone who enjoys Neocron as is now, but we want to resolve some of the remaining major issues before we start calling in the masses. These issues include stability, security and the game balance.

Xiphias
09-03-13, 01:45
yeah... if too many started playing then i think the servers would fry... Don't think Neocron could handle the amount of people that Steam could potentially bring.

Nitro_2_go
09-03-13, 02:41
Steam is not an option right now for a number of reasons.
We have not started to advertise and campaign for new players really and we hold back such efforts on purpose. We're happy for everyone who enjoys Neocron as is now, but we want to resolve some of the remaining major issues before we start calling in the masses. These issues include stability, security and the game balance.

This is completely understandable but what about after the server(s) are stable and the game is balanced?

eNTi
09-03-13, 12:33
FUCK NO STEAM!!!! i hate that stupid DRM SHIT. NO FUCKING STEAM!!! don't even start... the next thing you know, you are steam exclusive.

[TgR]KILLER
09-03-13, 13:00
TBH.. as far as i know the neocron world as well as the servers couldn't handle more then 1500 players max or something.. so if many more would join there would be a need for way more servers... and if NC is a free game who will pay for those?

Dropout
09-03-13, 14:01
Wow such unneeded hate for Steam from eNTi O_o
I do agree with TgR though, NC wouldnt be able to handle that many players. The World would get majorly overpopulated and the server.. Uh the poor server!
And as Mokoi said, NC is not really ready for the masses yet either :p

eNTi
09-03-13, 15:21
unneeded hate for drm? are you kidding me? there will NEVER BE ENOUGH HATE for DRM.

hatmankh
09-03-13, 16:25
When it comes to an online only game like neocron, steam wouldn't really be DRM.

CMaster
09-03-13, 16:50
unneeded hate for drm? are you kidding me? there will NEVER BE ENOUGH HATE for DRM.

Steam isn't DRM, it's a distribution platform.

It OFFERS DRM if the developer wants it. But it isn't DRM as of itself.

Nitro_2_go
10-03-13, 14:02
KILLER;2205366']TBH.. as far as i know the neocron world as well as the servers couldn't handle more then 1500 players max or something.. so if many more would join there would be a need for way more servers... and if NC is a free game who will pay for those?

You bring up a good point... Then perhaps make it a $5-10 game? My self i would gladly pay $30-40 for a stable balanced reload on steam but i may be the minority

Steam isn't DRM, it's a distribution platform.

It OFFERS DRM if the developer wants it. But it isn't DRM as of itself.

this is why i felt steam would be good for a game like Neocron

but perhaps my idea is just ahead of its time... I would love to see Neocron with server pops nearing 70-90% load again the game felt more alive that way

Maverick Hawk
10-03-13, 15:04
IŽll always prefer real free games .. by this i dont think of free to play but free to get without any bindings like Steam or EA or anything like that. Doesnt matter if its free to play or online-only ..
There is nothing of higher worth than beeing independent of publishing platforms ..
.. Steam or any other should only be an option, if the game can also be downloaded and used without ..

Just my opinion ..

eNTi
10-03-13, 19:46
how is steam NOT DRM? you got ONE platform for many of your games. maybe even all of them. if you are cheating in any (multiplayer) game your whole ACCOUNT with ALL your games might get suspended. it's enough that you are able to run your games through steam only. you are at valve's discretion to be able to play the games you may or may have not purchased, no matter if they use steam works or not. that's DRM. they can simply (digitally) remove your rights to play.

hatmankh
10-03-13, 21:10
I've bought games through steam because they were on sale and then was able to get a code off steam that allowed me to download the standalone game without steam from the developer's website and play it without steam.

There's thousands of games on steam that aren't exclusive to it, if Neocron were to ever get on steam I'm 100% sure we'd keep our independent client and be able to choose to get it on steam or not.

Also not every multiplayer game on steam uses VAC and even with those that use it, not all of them ban you from all VAC enabled games when you cheat on them. Almost everything you've said is a half truth or completely wrong, Valve can't and don't remove your right to play games, they only ban you from playing multiplayer on VAC servers, you can still play single-player and you can still play muliplayer on servers that don't have VAC on.

Sounds like you just hate steam 'cause you had a bad experience with it once.

Dropout
10-03-13, 21:28
Snip.
This..
Stop being ignorant eNTi..
I know several people who has gotten banned from ONE game on Steam.. They can still play all their other games just fine.
Stop hating something without real reason..

Ghostface_Speak
10-03-13, 21:30
if you are cheating in any (multiplayer) game your whole ACCOUNT with ALL your games might get suspended.
while this isn't true,you seem to be scared of something.what might that be...hmmm?

Lucas Kell
10-03-13, 22:00
how is steam NOT DRM? you got ONE platform for many of your games. maybe even all of them. if you are cheating in any (multiplayer) game your whole ACCOUNT with ALL your games might get suspended. it's enough that you are able to run your games through steam only. you are at valve's discretion to be able to play the games you may or may have not purchased, no matter if they use steam works or not. that's DRM. they can simply (digitally) remove your rights to play.
I love Steam. It means I can buy all my PC games, never need to use a disc, and if I change PC or and temporarily elsewhere, I can just hit download and shazzam, I'm back in the game.

DRM is only applied to some games. DRM is just the model to lock out a game from being illegally downloaded. Most steam games unlock to the account, and can be played offline with no DRM checking. You can play any non-steam game without issue. Any steam game you have not purchased you do not have the right to play it so in that instance they are not removing right by preventing you playing it, they are enforcing their right as a distributor to prevent you playing it.

As for cheating, games generally handle their own anti cheat models. Valve operates VAC which some games are eligible to register for which gives a centralised database of cheaters, but you would only get banned from other VAC enabled servers. The only reasons Steam would ban your whole account including all your games is if you violate their EULA, such as by downloading games illegally, misusing their services in a manner that disrupts the services or abuse to other Steam users.

All that said, unless NC could go back to a pay to play model and could get full stability working across multiple servers, no steam would not be a good idea :D