PDA

View Full Version : [OT] An NC themed song I am working on

L0KI
12-02-13, 23:51
About a year ago, I started getting into dubstep/electro-house after years and years of playing the guitar and only listening to bands like Metallica, System of a Down and such. Anyway, long story short, hearing some of this new electronic music made me want to start making some of my own.

I've been writing music for years, but due to the nature of the guitar being a solo instrument, I've never been able to actually put together full songs. That's what appeals to me about making electronic music.

Anyway, by no means do I think this is brilliant. Nevertheless, it represents about a year of learning and 2 weeks of hard work in putting the song together. It isn't finished; not by any means. I haven't yet learned how to properly master the track so there are a few frequency clashes and cut offs where there shouldn't be, and some parts I simply haven't had time to put together yet properly so the timings might be slightly off to those of you with keen ears.

I'm posting this here mainly for critique, and with the hope that some of that critique might be positive, if for no other reason than to help me justify the amount of hours I've put into learning this stuff. That being said, if we have any budding music producers among us, negative critique is more than welcome.

It's a work in progress, so I will be updating it regularly (daily, probably). Here it is, for those that want a listen :

https://soundcloud.com/eighty8bit/attention-citizens-v1-w-i-p

(The bit I'm the most happy with starts around 2:20)

Thoughts/opinions please!

(eek)

Update:

Here's version 2 of the song. I think I might have over-mastered it by butchering certain frequencies (which I will fix once I figure out how to master properly), but let me know your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/eighty8bit/attention-citizens-v2

Respect if you listen as far as the one launcher cyclops sample ;)

Lucas Kell
13-02-13, 00:13
I like it! Awesome!

Drachenpaladin
13-02-13, 00:29
Works. We will see how it swings when you finished it up.
A few of the used samples still feel a bit lost, not the copbot ones, the launcher cyclops and the other one that gets a bit too often repeated ("Fleisch" or what is it?!)

L0KI
13-02-13, 00:39
Works. We will see how it swings when you finished it up.
A few of the used samples still feel a bit lost, not the copbot ones, the launcher cyclops and the other one that gets a bit too often repeated ("Fleisch" or what is it?!)

I am having the same feelings about some of the NC samples I used. The launcher cyclops comes in twice, but I think maybe once is enough. I'm also thinking about switching out one or two of the 'Attention Citizens' samples for something else.

That 'chorus'/'drop' bit repeats the 'Oyyyyyyrrrr' noise a bit too frequently too, so that bit will change pretty dramatically.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeriko
13-02-13, 00:59
Nize 1

L0KI
13-02-13, 01:06
I just realised I uploaded the version without an ending. I'll fix that tomorrow maybe.

yavimaya
13-02-13, 01:14
Im not a fan of techno/dubstep one slight iota, however the porduction on that is nice, you clearly have some real talent.
If only you had have used your guitar instead, and a few VST instruments to fill in the other sounds - there are plenty out there, you could make some really nice songs.

I dont know how "techno" is meant to fit into a cyberpunk atmosphere like most people tend to think, i much prefer something like the original music or something a bit more "doom and gloom" (by that i dont mean metal!) rather than mindless dancy music and think it fits the atmosphere alot better.

Drachenpaladin
13-02-13, 02:01
I do have to say i'd agree with that guitar stuff^^

Maybe you could shred some riffs and putt some heavy distortion effects on it to give it a bit more aggression or so.

Without shamelessly advertising, check out the following tracks (https://soundcloud.com/zombiestudios). Also wubwub for a game, menu music and more.

Faid
13-02-13, 02:43
Sounds great so far, keep up ze good work :)

nabbl
14-02-13, 13:05
I like it a lot!

Listening to it the fourth time in a row now :-P

Some improvements are still possible, but I think you are on it.
Keep it up!

Zoltan
14-02-13, 13:47
Impressive :)

Now we have to implement Moxxis Underdome to the world of Neocron hrhr.

I really like it!

L0KI
14-02-13, 14:24
Thanks Zoltan/Nabbl.

There's much more to do yet. There's a lot I want to change, a lot I want to completely remove, and even more I want to 'beef up'. I'm guessing it'll be weeks before I finish it.

wargolem
14-02-13, 15:01
Thanks Zoltan/Nabbl.

There's much more to do yet. There's a lot I want to change, a lot I want to completely remove, and even more I want to 'beef up'. I'm guessing it'll be weeks before I finish it.

Its a track with good potential, id take out the launcher cyclops samples all together, they just don't seem to fit

Make sure you ignore everyone about adding guitar riffs, there is a time and a place and this track feels really cyberpunky as it is :).... maybe sample some of the pepper park adverts...

keep up the good work

William Antrim
14-02-13, 15:18
It needs some DOY samples.

yavimaya
14-02-13, 23:32
It needs some DOY samples and less techno.

ftfy. :)

L0KI
15-02-13, 00:47
ftfy. :)

I don't think it classifies as techno, does it? Electro-house maybe, but not techno.

Brammers
15-02-13, 01:43
Very good. Considering I'm not much of a fan of Electro-house/Dubstep/Whatever that is very good. Really like what you done with the Dome Of York Oyyyyyyrrrr bit!

yavimaya
15-02-13, 05:27
I don't think it classifies as techno, does it? Electro-house maybe, but not techno.

I dunno, if it has basically the same note repeated over and over again, i call it techno, i dont like catergorizing every little variation in music.

Doc Holliday
15-02-13, 05:35
so anything with a 4:4 rhythm then ;)

It needs more BOSH BOSH BOSH imo not less but you had my feedback already and we know how its supposed to sound compared to how it does.

Riddle
17-02-13, 02:00
Very nice :D keep it coming!

Martial Ronin
17-02-13, 03:56
GREAT SONG!! i look forward to the final version :)
just please dont put guitar riffs in like some people recommended. dont missunderstand me, i like nearly all kinds of music, but i would recommend not to change this song too much, just complete it / optimize it, because it is already very good. u would destroy the song if u change it too much. it would be better to finish this song in the way it is, and then maybe to make a new one in which u could integrate some riffs (if u want, just do it like u want it, it's your song ;) ).

yavimaya
17-02-13, 04:30
GREAT SONG!! i look forward to the final version :)
just please dont put guitar riffs in like some people recommended. dont missunderstand me, i like nearly all kinds of music, but i would recommend not to change this song too much, just complete it / optimize it, because it is already very good. u would destroy the song if u change it too much. it would be better to finish this song in the way it is, and then maybe to make a new one in which u could integrate some riffs (if u want, just do it like u want it, it's your song ;) ).

Dont missunderstand me, I never said put guitar riffs into this song, i said lose the techno all together and do an actual song.

L0KI
17-02-13, 12:52
I actually used to be just like you. If it's not rock/metal/insertmyfavouritegenre, it's not worthy of being called music. It took me a few years to realise how much of a music snob I was. Opening my ears to different types of music took me until I was 28 years old. I was genre bound right up to that point.

Let me tell you this... making this song was far more difficult and mentally challenging than me writing a 2 minute long, fast guitar solo based around heptatonic scales. I might not be physically playing an instrument but I am engineering different sounds, then spending sometimes hours on 10 seconds of song just to get the sounds to mix together nicely.

The truth is , I respect the fact that you hate the genre but complimented the production. Saying it's not even an actual song though is rather offensive :p

yavimaya
17-02-13, 23:11
Sorry Loki,
i too have played around with Sonar, VSTs, keyboards, etc and know how hard (kind of easy if you dont care about quality) it can be, you certainly are good at the art.

I try not to be a music snob, ive opened myself up alot the last couple of years, i just cant get into techno.

Danae
18-02-13, 02:23
I grew up on daft punk/orbital/crystal method/dust bros-chem bros in my late teen years, but I'm a rocker at heart :P I need crunchy fat guitars in my techno :P a la Born to Slow! Moar gueetar! Moar drums! Moar bass! :P

Bozz-Von Mel
18-02-13, 06:38
Amaranthe - The Nexus -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxOybZcRXhI

Doc Holliday
18-02-13, 18:26
Eric clapton. layla :) put THAT riff in it ;)

William Antrim
18-02-13, 20:01
I grew up on daft punk/orbital/crystal method/dust bros-chem bros in my late teen years, but I'm a rocker at heart :P I need crunchy fat guitars in my techno :P a la Born to Slow! Moar gueetar! Moar drums! Moar bass! :P

I knew there was a reason I liked you. Good taste in music is clearly it!

P.s if it isnt techno then what the hell is it! This track is aural sex at the moment. If it had some techno beats it would actually probably just be out of this world.

P.s Bozz yours was well cheesy!!

Bozz-Von Mel
19-02-13, 05:22
P.s Bozz yours was well cheesy!!

That's the idea !!!

Skusty
24-02-13, 15:20
Sounds good!

L0KI
25-02-13, 01:04
Version 2 is almost done if anyone's interested. I've done a lot of work on it since I last posted!

Doc Holliday
25-02-13, 02:54
Someone is.

Trivaldi
25-02-13, 19:39
I'm looking forward to the next version. :)

Arista Barret
25-02-13, 20:16
The first song is awesome. good to see someone putting an effort into this. To criticize...Im not sure i have the right to judge music.

William Antrim
25-02-13, 21:45
Link pls.

Dropout
25-02-13, 21:58
Version 2 is almost done if anyone's interested. I've done a lot of work on it since I last posted!

Work faster ffs!

..Looking forward to hearing it, mate :p

L0KI
26-02-13, 03:17
Here's version 2 of the song. I think I might have over-mastered it by butchering certain frequencies (which I will fix once I figure out how to master properly), but let me know your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/eighty8bit/attention-citizens-v2

@ Mods : Could you please remove the link in the first post and replace it with this post quoted please?

Drachenpaladin
26-02-13, 03:32
You know what might be a nice addition? Samples from the narrator of the FANG promo vid... :D

Doc Holliday
26-02-13, 05:54

And i sat there all that time goin wheres ma cyclops at!!!! and then there it was ;)

L0KI
27-02-13, 16:30
I'm calling it finished now. Moving onto song #2 :)

William Antrim
27-02-13, 18:25
I'm calling it finished now. Moving onto song #2 :)

Woohoo!

I got my head shaved.... by a jumbo jet...

Doc Holliday
27-02-13, 21:10
Woohoo!

Just fucking LOL

L0KI
27-02-13, 23:44
Woohoo!

Annoyingly, that's why I wrote #2 and not Song 2. ;)

William Antrim
28-02-13, 11:50
Annoyingly, that's why we are still friends.... :)

I liked the first song. I do think you should look at filming a video for it.