PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Computer problems

Dribble Joy
27-01-13, 14:51
Last night my computer was running fine. This morning I was doing nothing out of the ordinary and then tried to launch NC. The launcher hanged, and refused to be closed from the Task Manager. I could not even shut down the comp, so I hit the restart button.

This time the launcher loaded, but the client hanged when the game window opened (window mode). This also refused to be closed. I started NC again, this hanged at the launcher like before.

Thinking I might have a virus, I started up Malware, which hanged before even bringing up a window or any indication it was running other than the task manager. This also refused to be closed. Spybot opened, but the updater hanged, both the main program and the updated refused to be closed.

Hit the reset button. Adaware asked to update it's version, opening up firefox. It sat trying to connect. I stopped it and set Adaware on a scan. Firefox can't connect to anything now (Using another computer in the house atm).

Any ideas?

Edit: Can't find anything unusual/new in the registry or in startup.

Edit2: Applying changes in the System Config Utility causes it to hang. Spybot managed to update itself and am now running a fresh scan.

Torg
27-01-13, 15:35
99% sure: operating system problem. did you try starting your machine in safe mode, minimum driver set, to see what happens?

Danae
27-01-13, 15:35
Have you checked your memory to make sure your RAM is all okay? I know from experience if one stick of ram goes bad you need to pull it out or everything lags like bitch until you pull it out. My only idea at present (of course that was years ago, I dunno if things have changed? :P).

Jodo
27-01-13, 15:42
Have you checked your memory to make sure your RAM is all okay? I know from experience if one stick of ram goes bad you need to pull it out or everything lags like bitch until you pull it out. My only idea at present (of course that was years ago, I dunno if things have changed? :P).

This was my first thought also.

Trivaldi
27-01-13, 16:05
If you can get into task manager, processes, is there anything that looks out of the ordinary in there eating all your memory/processing power?

Dribble Joy
27-01-13, 16:25
If you can get into task manager, processes, is there anything that looks out of the ordinary in there eating all your memory/processing power?

Nothing out of place in the registry, startup or the processes under the task manager.

Dxdiag shows the full amount of RAM available.

Oddly enough, I tried right-click - properties on My Computer, and nothing happen. Inside My Computer, I clicked on the Veiw System Info link and the same.

Tried Malwarebytes again, updated info and then hanged before the main prog opened. That's the second time it has done it, in the same spot.

I just booted up another game, and it had no problem.

I would say though that the various programs on the process list are using a lot of memory. But many are dumping in, the total ram used is fluctuating rather than simply getting bigger an bigger.

Dribble Joy
27-01-13, 16:31
I can't start in safe mode, it simply resarts the comp.

Danae
27-01-13, 16:57
Sometimes anti-virus software can cause some of the issues you are describing, especially if they were not "originally meant" to be used on the operating system you're running; for example a AVG free running on W7 can cause this issue, and by disabling it, you stop the "filter driver" effect it has. I dunno if I'm making any sense :P When you shutdown and it starts booting up hit f8 to get into the bios - you should be able to enter safe mode from there I think?

Check your drivers make sure they are up to date, make sure you're up to date with your MS service packs. Worse comes to worst, and I hate this advice because it's your last resort but you may wanna consider a reinstall of windows.

Dribble Joy
27-01-13, 17:04
f8 to get into the bios - you should be able to enter safe mode from there I think?
That's what I meant, it won't let me.

I think it might be a format reinstall situation.....

Danae
27-01-13, 17:07
Sorry sweets! Wish we could be more helpful :( I'm the least techy person on the team lol :) *hugs DJ*

Dropout
27-01-13, 17:49
That's what I meant, it won't let me.

I think it might be a format reinstall situation.....

Yeah, if you cant even start in safe-mode, Theres definitely a serious problem.. Reformat that sucker!
There is ofc ways of finding the problem, but it takes a while, and is pretty much impossible without the proper knowledge.
(Dont think I have ever had a (software) problem that I couldnt figure out, by using Sysinternals/Microsoft Process Monitor)

Torg
27-01-13, 19:18
check hardware by using a ubuntu live cd/usbdrive downloaded on another pc. sometimes helpful.

Dribble Joy
27-01-13, 19:24
And so begins the re-installing of all my programs.....

Vorak
28-01-13, 15:50
It sounds like your file structure is a little bugged. Did you try a chkdsk from dos or elevated command prompt? You would want to use chkdsk /f c:

There's also the sfc /scannow you could use.

Dribble Joy
30-01-13, 21:41
New problem.

Realised that the onboard sound card drivers had been lost. Found the right drivers but got an error message from the instal program. Much googling lead to the discovery that I was not alone with this problem.

Tried a different set of drivers - instal program hard crashes the comp, previous driver installer now simply doesn't run.
Removed all instances of both driver sets from the registry, but the comp still tries to call up the second version.
Got the audio drivers from the mobo manufacturer's site - installer simply says it cannot install them.

Try to update the drivers from the device manager, pointing it at the right file from the sound card (from the first attempt). Tells me that the name is either in use as either a service name or a service display name.

Downloaded the Soundmax audio drivers (the ones that came with the mobo drivers and the ones I had before the wipe), program can't find the drivers....

Troubleshooting program tells me to uninstall and then Add Hardware, which promptly asks for the drivers from the program that blue-screened the comp.

No idea what to do now.....

ancient
30-01-13, 22:00
Could this be a 64/32 bit incompatibility issue? I find if you try and install some 32 bit programs/drivers onto a 64 bit operating system they don't work (even though they should).

Curvedblade
30-01-13, 22:05
Extract the driver from the installer and use device manager to install the driver from the location you extracted it to

Dribble Joy
30-01-13, 22:07
Pretty sure I'm not 64.

Bizarre thing is that I'm sure the last time I did this it all installed fine.

Extract the driver from the installer and use device manager to install the driver from the location you extracted it to
That's what I did.

Dribble Joy
30-01-13, 22:23
OK, System Restore back to yesterday. Mobo maker drivers installer still won't work. One more try with some other stuff before I just buy a sound card from PC World....

Dribble Joy
30-01-13, 22:41
OK, after updating the IDE drivers, I got the card drivers to instal.

Hoorah.

Nice if I actually had sound though.

Dribble Joy
30-01-13, 23:09
AHAHAHAHAHA! HEEheee....

OK, so I went back to the mobo maker's site and discovered that the drivers I was trying to instal was actually an update pack, which is why it couldn't find them in the first place. Got the originals and now the sound works.

The amusing thing? I decided to get around to installing the sound drivers because I remembered a song I heard a few weeks ago and wanted to listen to it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2n9W6g1eEU).

Crahn's balls I need a pint....