PDA

View Full Version : Basic/free video editing program?

Izeo
25-01-13, 17:11
Anyone know a good one? I need a free video editing software that just supports: simple frame timeline splitting (i.e. razor tool), supports variable resolution, and preferably supports the ability to export your clip uncompressed/raw video.

Windows Movie Maker doesn't cut it only because it doesn't let you choose a custom resolution (nor does it support exporting uncompressed). I had a friend years ago who loved using a free thing called something like Cool Ulead Video Studio, so I gave it shot today. It's not free though (at least, anymore) and won't let you export your video until you buy it. Also, way too much overhead for my taste (takes a long time to load, very sluggish interface because of overhead). I'd be happy with something from the Windows XP era, as long as it had the above three functionalities. (timeline razor, variable resolution, export uncompressed)

("Export uncompressed?" If your video editing software has the ability to export uncompressed video, then if you for example upload it to YouTube, it will only be compressed by YouTube. This way, your video won't be double-compressed and potentially lower quality.)

Biglines
25-01-13, 18:09
you could use blender's inbuilt editor, which is completely open source, although it is a lot harder to use than most editing software

there's also at the moment the controversy about adobe creative suite 2, which contains premiere pro 2, which is a very good editing suite, but the legality of using that atm is very murky. at first the internet said it was free, then adobe said Nonono, it's not, and then they published the cs2 suite themselves on a public site for anyone to download. http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

edit: hmm checking the link again, it seems they have finally updated the text to reflect that it is not for people who do not have a license, so scratch that

Biglines
25-01-13, 18:14
if you just want timeline splitting, you could try virtualdub, the best thing about that is that it actually edits without recompressing the video (if you want it to), so quality is 100% maintained

Leonard
26-01-13, 17:28
Blender