PDA

View Full Version : soft-cap speed

Torg
25-01-13, 12:15
There is an issue with runspeed, it's getting ridiculously high. We need to do something about it.

(i know i'm going to be critizied for putting "old ideas" on the agenda, but folks, those ideas aren't going to discuss themselves, we got to do that)

I think we can agree that the maximum speed is over the top (like when youre putting nearly all DEX and CON into ATL and AGL), while basic runspeed (like 50-75 points into ATL and AGL each) is just fine. It's the high-speed-range that needs to be adressed.

How? Putting skill points into a skill usually results in a linear progression up to a certain level (50 - 75 - 100), where you'd have to spend 2, 3 or 5 points to improve your skill by one point. Yes, we all know that, but this is also the way to solve or speed problem. It should even be possible to bring in additional levels for 6, 8 or even 10 points needed to improve your running.

Could we put this on the test server? Any ideas? More thoughts?

nabbl
25-01-13, 13:04
The curve for runspeed has to be adjusted. The game is far too fast.

Agreed.

Dropout
25-01-13, 14:20
Learn to aim..
A high runspeed is a huge force against shitty pvp'ers, but wont matter much against the skilled ones..

William Antrim
25-01-13, 14:26
But then you create an elitist class of players who will still have better aim regardless of their runspeed Walker. If runspeed was slowed down the old adage of resists and set ups would come into account so much more and return NC to a more traditional way of thinking. It would go back to how it used to be when setups actually did matter.

This suggestion in my mind is a good one. Torg has thought about things and posted something constructive and I for one am a big fan of that. However my own proposal would be to cap runspeed at a certain PREAGREED level. Everyone would know this level and it would actually even be published. This would allow players to reach the cap and THEN decide where to spend the rest of their points on other stuff.

It would therefore have the knock on effect of letting "shitty" pvpers have a chance at fighting the uber-skillz0rs and probably feel like they did have a good go at it.

The one consolation I take as a yard stick in pvp when I die is how much damage did I actually do to that guy. If it is over half health I usually feel much better than the bare scratches.

Tbh having a high runspeed does not make you "leet" it just means you can click the + next to agility 60 times more than someone else does.

I would like to see drugs and weapon damage balanced to affect this also. Drugs should still give the runspeed bonus ABOVE the cap - the benefit from taking drugs but I would like to see the Dragon Drugs balanced too - to give resist bonuses to players as well.

I am all for making fights last longer. I like the idea. It helps the noobs.

Dropout
25-01-13, 14:30
But without my speed, I wouldnt be able to solo entire Clans! :(

I dont like the idea.. It would make it impossible to make a pure dev tank.. Since people would just run away.. Wheres the fun in that?

nabbl
25-01-13, 14:36
Learn to aim..
A high runspeed is a huge force against shitty pvp'ers, but wont matter much against the skilled ones..

Learn to move...

And I am not thinking about running around the next 10 corners in 2 seconds.
Try to move unpredictable, crouch, run, take shelter...

This is also a matter of skill. Not only your aiming.

Dropout
25-01-13, 14:43
Learn to move...

And I am not thinking about running around the next 10 corners in 2 seconds.
Try to move unpredictable, crouch, run, take shelter...

This is also a matter of skill. Not only your aiming.

Heh pretty much everyone I have ever dueled, hates my movement.. So yeah, come Again?

hajoan
25-01-13, 15:22
The game is far too fast.
/signed

Anybody tried if chars are as fast as vehicles yet?

Dropout
25-01-13, 15:23
/signed

Anybody tried if chars are as fast as vehicles yet?
They Arent.

[F6]Knight
25-01-13, 16:06
However my own proposal would be to cap runspeed at a certain PREAGREED level. Everyone would know this level and it would actually even be published. This would allow players to reach the cap and THEN decide where to spend the rest of their points on other stuff.

This however creates the problem that reaching run speed cap becomes mandatory in every PVP build. Especially if that cap can be reached easily. (at least that's the idea I get from your suggestion)

William Antrim
25-01-13, 17:44
Knight;2200728']This however creates the problem that reaching run speed cap becomes mandatory in every PVP build. Especially if that cap can be reached easily. (at least that's the idea I get from your suggestion)

Where is the problem? How is that worse than current issue?

Dropout
25-01-13, 18:18
Where is the problem? How is that worse than current issue?

We want more possible setups, not less!
As it is now, at least you can choose between having a really, REALLY fast setup, or only having a fast setup (and some noobs even do slow setups).
What having caps (speed, damage, resists, whatever) does, is making cookiecutter setups.. And that is just not very fun IMO.

Dribble Joy
25-01-13, 18:28
Soft yes, hard no. Soft still gives the option of 'over' speccing.

Of course, a high resist setup needs to be more viable in the first place.

Oh and yeah... how you move is far more important than how fast you are. I was in NF on the TS event and people were still missing me quite a bit despite my 0 ath.

Model192
25-01-13, 19:17
There is an issue with runspeed, it's getting ridiculously high. We need to do something about it.

(i know i'm going to be critizied for putting "old ideas" on the agenda, but folks, those ideas aren't going to discuss themselves, we got to do that)

I think we can agree that the maximum speed is over the top (like when youre putting nearly all DEX and CON into ATL and AGL), while basic runspeed (like 50-75 points into ATL and AGL each) is just fine. It's the high-speed-range that needs to be adressed.

How? Putting skill points into a skill usually results in a linear progression up to a certain level (50 - 75 - 100), where you'd have to spend 2, 3 or 5 points to improve your skill by one point. Yes, we all know that, but this is also the way to solve or speed problem. It should even be possible to bring in additional levels for 6, 8 or even 10 points needed to improve your running.

Could we put this on the test server? Any ideas? More thoughts?

No. I've been playing for almost 12 years and it's been touched enough. Speed was already nerfed, and fov also inadvertently nerfed speed. I used to be faster than vehicles. A soft cap is already in place. Favoring con setups in their current brokenness will only favor tanks anyhow. Seriously, learn to aim. Speed is probably the thing that needs to be touched the least.
Fyi speed like this is ALWAYS a natural progression in cyberpunk games. So is dodging.

Torg
25-01-13, 19:18
what dribble says.

Powerpunsh
25-01-13, 19:52
I believe adjusting drugs would be enough. There is a far too strong ability with drugs pushing runspeed all over the edge.

Added to this i would like to see general higher resistance like we had in nc 1 and 2. Every class could have around 65-75% without any ppu support. Adjusting weapondamage with 66% of their efficiency and the game is repaired. :)