PDA

View Full Version : the single most important improvement for neocron

Torg
23-01-13, 16:28
i really do enjoy the lively discussions on brainport, i think we all are high-spirited to see the game improving again after so many years of waiting. unfortunately i can't agree with some or most of the proposals here, since i'm always checking for "is this making the game just easier - or more exciting"? you're guessing right: i want the game to me more exciting. it's easy enough for vets, and newbs are getting tremendous support from the great neocron community. so:

since i've been asked for a positive statement (thank you, Sorin (http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?147101-Quick-Belt-Lost-item-notification)) i' going to tell you my firm conviction: What Neocron needs most (besides constant bug-fixing) is a new chapter in the background story. What's with the factions that "fled" from the collapsing dome, who is really ruling over pepper park, what's finally going on in Tech Haven and the Canyon, what's with the tension between Next and CA (and Proto!), Tangent and Biotech, Fallen Angels and Crahn/Dragons, who is behind those ceres remnants hiding in underground storages and why are there gatehouses located in the far north, built into the mountain slopes as stone-sculptured promises to lead to new, uncharted territories?

right now you would make an new char, get frustrated from slow grinding to woc, get frustrated from missing chances for PvP, and get frustrated on the forums cause Torg repeatedly dislikes your ideas. All this has to change, and the answer is: Give us an RP-backstory or give us death (and synaptic impairment).

Trivaldi
23-01-13, 16:32
What Neocron needs most (besides constant bug-fixing) is a new chapter in the background story. What's with the factions that "fled" from the collapsing dome, who is really ruling over pepper park, what's finally going on in Tech Haven and the Canyon, what's with the tension between Next and CA (and Proto!), Tangent and Biotech, Fallen Angels and Crahn/Dragons, who is behind those ceres remnants hiding in underground storages and why are there gatehouses located in the far north, built into the mountain slopes as stone-sculptured promises to lead to new, uncharted territories?
Soon™... Really Soon™...

Dropout
23-01-13, 16:54
Because Theres sooooo many RP'ers in NC..
I read the history ONCE back when I just started playing, and cant remember a damn Word of it.
I really do not care.. I just want to kill people, and that is one thing that is very fun to do in NC - Well it used to be pre 2.2.. Hope we are getting there Again..

That said, of course I do not mind some more history, as long as it does not take away Dev time - From the IMPORTANT Things..
Like bug-fixes, as you mentioned yourself, and some fucking balancing! I am sick of seeing the same god damn weapons being used for pvp all the time.
Sorry for sounding angry, but I just really, REALLY dislike the current weapon balancing..

Trivaldi
23-01-13, 17:17
I read the history ONCE back when I just started playing, and cant remember a damn Word of it.
I really do not care.. I just want to kill people, and that is one thing that is very fun to do in NC - Well it used to be pre 2.2.. Hope we are getting there Again..

That said, of course I do not mind some more history, as long as it does not take away Dev time - From the IMPORTANT Things..
Like bug-fixes, as you mentioned yourself, and some fucking balancing! I am sick of seeing the same god damn weapons being used for pvp all the time.
Sorry for sounding angry, but I just really, REALLY dislike the current weapon balancing..
A valid response. However some people play Neocron for the PvP and some people play Neocron for the setting and story.

On the other side of the fence some of our team are C++ programmers, some are network techs, some system administrators, some general IT guys and as such some of us can fix bugs, some of us can manage and improve out infrastructure, some of us can work on balance (as we've said before, its in the pipeline) and some of us have the tools and time to tend to the storyline and content side of the game.

Drachenpaladin
23-01-13, 17:18

inb4cliché
<insert generic then-go-and-play-generic-fps-game comment here>

Yay for new story and events, but fixes need to have every priority.

Dropout
23-01-13, 17:34
A valid response. However some people play Neocron for the PvP and some people play Neocron for the setting and story.

On the other side of the fence some of our team are C++ programmers, some are network techs, some system administrators, some general IT guys and as such some of us can fix bugs, some of us can manage and improve out infrastructure, some of us can work on balance (as we've said before, its in the pipeline) and some of us have the tools and time to tend to the storyline and content side of the game.

And thats the only reason why Im still playing NC once in a while. Sad but true.

inb4cliché
<insert generic then-go-and-play-generic-fps-game comment here>

Yay for new story and events, but fixes need to have every priority.

I love the character setup system. Making new setups is one of the Things I enjoy the most about NC (right after using said setups).
That is probably one of the reasons why Im so tired of the horrible weapon balance..

William Antrim
23-01-13, 18:37
You guys do realise that the only RPers in NC are the ones with their LE's out.....

Last night I was in the Chaos Cave with my LE in. I am Biotech atm. In my team were two Tsunamis, one TG, a Crahn and some CA runners. All levelling together. How the F- is this RP? We should be killing each other at worst or at best eyeing one another carefully with veiled scowls and cautious whispers.

The people who remove their LE's and stay in character defending their factions from aggressors (yeah mutants and all other kinds) are the only ones who RP in NC. Everyone else just joins together without a care in the world about their faction allegiance, just to level.

As for the storyline. Well you can read the Neocronicle. We had an article in there just the other week about the Drones being fixed didnt we! We got a patch fixing a "feature" and a Neocronicle article backing it up. I love reading those articles. You can even access them from the launcher. No excuse not to read it.

Peace.

Vorak
24-01-13, 02:27
...and get frustrated on the forums cause Torg repeatedly dislikes your ideas. All this has to change, and the answer is: Give us an RP-backstory...

Really???

You're saying you're purposely preventing everyone from helping to improve the game because of it's dated lore and you know it needs to stop but yet you're going to continue until it's updated? :confused:

It's one thing to be hardcore but to hinder game improvement for backstory is just rediculous!

Doc Holliday
24-01-13, 07:25
Vorak i think you mistook whats being said. Also Trivaldi highlighted the fact they HAVE a story line team that's doing exactly what torg has asked they do.

PS. i think its the 2nd time ever but i do agree with torg.

@William. you nailed it completely. That was classic. Really a great post.

@walker. I think honestly if you gave people a chance to do a bit of rp without being too extreme they might actually participate.

Too many people assume rp to be total immersion. Its either black or its white. It doesnt have to be this way. it can be some simple words or a conversation in the way you interact with others. It also could actually be quite funny to see people doing it over trade and will certainly serve to gain a few laughs on the public channels im sure. People may respond if someone starts it but lets be honest we can all agree a major storyline event piece (or two) will get everyone involved in some way whether its pve or pvp themed it will draw people in.

Vorak
24-01-13, 08:04
I don't disagree about more backstory at all. Just noticing his admission and that he knows he has to stop, that's all.;)

devilstriker
24-01-13, 10:52
Once Faction affiliation was clan-aided and with this the roleplay raised. But today, there are 90% counterstrike pvpler, loging in for quick shoot and kill and shit talk in ooc, killing everything with a pulse. There are some people making RP but to find them is very hard. These people going with there clanmates hunting wb or what ever. All bigger clans recruiting people and and only say PVP is needed and the only thing thats fine. Noone of these guys looks at the faction table and accept friends.
They think i have to be woc in 2 days and so they team everything and everyone to leech xp.
Thats why you can see TG and CA standing together in caves. Other problem is you can see TG at p1 without getting killed by copbots. So there is no real game-aided reason for "RP".

DR REED
24-01-13, 11:25
You guys do realise that the only RPers in NC are the ones with their LE's out.....

Yes, peace, ok, but:......this is complete bullshit, sorry, Sir ! (i know, it's your point of view)

There is a lot of roleplay besides the "normal" story setting, too. Due to the lack of endgame content many RP players constructed a full spectrum of RP things like Bars, Box Clubs, Politics, Social Groups, and much more- all of this only was embedded in the story line. On MARS we had an complete CA Police Department even, which was fun (Cheston Sfear as Marshal). Many of these RP things are worthy an OSCAR Award :)

And many (not all, of course) of the chars used were LE'd. Roleplay is not story line pvp :)

Reed

Torg
24-01-13, 11:32
RP is behaving in-character, while in-game. Have fun doing it your way.

William Antrim
24-01-13, 14:27
Mars is gone dude. Get over it. Let go.

Now point to these rpers on titan and then tell me my point of view is bullshit. I never played mars. I played Jupiter yes and I stay in character at all times in nc. One of my characters is a benevolent monk and another is a complete arsehole. You would know the difference easily if you met either. On titan in the present day my point is very much valid and true.

DR REED
24-01-13, 17:10
Mars is gone dude. Get over it. Let go.

Now point to these rpers on titan and then tell me my point of view is bullshit. I never played mars. I played Jupiter yes and I stay in character at all times in nc. One of my characters is a benevolent monk and another is a complete arsehole. You would know the difference easily if you met either. On titan in the present day my point is very much valid and true.

Of course, William, i didn't want to negate your opinion, your understanding of RP, because it's yours :)

But on the other side it's not correct to make a common rule or your opinion for Titan. That's simple impermissible.
It is an opinion, not more or less. I would admit that RP is favored on a 1-slot mono-language server, maybe. But it is not impossible to do this on Titan, too.

Reed

Biglines
24-01-13, 17:28
he isn't making a point about how roleplay should or has been done, he's making a point that currently on titan it is not being done at all, since everyone is just levelling blissfully together, regardless of faction affiliation. From a roleplay perspective, random ganking of noobs from different factions is the closest the current mainstream population is coming.

Doc Holliday
24-01-13, 18:17
i think we as players need to change that. hopefully people will respond in kind.

hatmankh
24-01-13, 19:24
Is it really roleplaying though if people are just ganking anything they can? They just enjoy killing people and bragging about it. If there was no penalties for killing allied/neutral runners in some zones, they'd be killing them too. Heck some of them do it even with the penalties, part of them are just looking for a fight because its what they play neocron for and another part just want to kill everyone because they think it somehow makes them superior, whether they put up a fight or not, doesn't matter.

I agree it looks more like roleplay than people teaming up with every faction to level quicker, but thats it, it looks more like it.

I'm not saying roleplayers don't exist anymore, I'm sure there are a few people who still play like that but really the majority of the fights are completely OOC and have nothing to do with any story.

OT: I'd like to see that happen too but you can add me to the list of people who'd prefer to see other things done first. (Balance, not just of weapons but everything) It would be a shame if we got an expansion to the story with new quests and dungeons only to realize PvE still has major balance issues.

Chuck Norris
24-01-13, 19:43
Euro-trolls destroying English servers really pissed in my RP kool-aid, GL with all this non-sense

William Antrim
24-01-13, 19:45
he isn't making a point about how roleplay should or has been done, he's making a point that currently on titan it is not being done at all, since everyone is just levelling blissfully together, regardless of faction affiliation. From a roleplay perspective, random ganking of noobs from different factions is the closest the current mainstream population is coming.

thank you.

Dr Reed I implore you to again show me some RPers on Titan. I cannot see any. This is not my opinion. This is a fact. The opinion part is subjective yes because I do not see RPing from anyone but it might be going on when I am not there. Or there might be people RPing the "pking asshole" as has been said so many times. However if you can show me where this happens - people with LE's in actually behaving in character then I will concur your point.

When I have my LE in and I meet other LE'd runners in the wastelands they say one of two things ALL the time.

These are: "Team? and Hi"

These are facts. Not opinion.

DR REED
25-01-13, 10:09
thank you.

Dr Reed I implore you to again show me some RPers on Titan. I cannot see any. This is not my opinion. This is a fact. The opinion part is subjective yes because I do not see RPing from anyone but it might be going on when I am not there. Or there might be people RPing the "pking asshole" as has been said so many times. However if you can show me where this happens - people with LE's in actually behaving in character then I will concur your point.

When I have my LE in and I meet other LE'd runners in the wastelands they say one of two things ALL the time.

These are: "Team? and Hi"

These are facts. Not opinion.

No problems to accept your (new) facts. "hi" and "Team?" - this is reality, no doubt.

My point was to contradict your formula ["RP" == no LE only.]

Titan is a new server and it's a multislot/ multi-language server. This is not even favoring roleplying. And - here i can agree - actually there is very few rp to observe. I would not report any RP'ing i know or players which do this here on the board, of course not:)

Reed

Torg
25-01-13, 11:49
of course we all can help RP ingame. by staying in-character. while waiting for the big story update. (i'm really, really excited!)

Trivaldi
26-01-13, 19:56
I did say really soon. English (http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?147183-STORYLINE-Neocron-Powder-Keg). German (http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?147182-STORYLINE-Neocron-Powder-Keg).

Remember, the development of the storyline and roleplay by some members of the team, does not have a negative effect on bug fixing and working towards balance for the rest of the team.