PDA

View Full Version : Quick Belt: Lost item notification

phunqe
18-01-13, 18:30
I often find myself trying to figure out what I lost in the quickbelt, unless it's something obvious.

Maybe add a notification when you die which item(s) are in the dropped quickbelt?

William Antrim
18-01-13, 19:01
yes!!!! I love this idea!!

Torg
18-01-13, 19:25
you might have expected this: i feel this is taking away some moment of uncertainty, making the game more accessible but less exciting. could we please discard this idea?

Dropout
18-01-13, 19:34
you might have expected this: i feel this is taking away some moment of uncertainty, making the game more accessible but less exciting. could we please discard this idea?

Torg strikes Again... *sigh*

I think its a VERY good idea tbh!

Jodo
18-01-13, 21:12
I like the idea. It's just damn annoying when you don't know what you lost. Especially if you were caught during PvE. You tend to have an idea what you have when it's PvP, you go out equipped with certain items.

William Antrim
18-01-13, 22:03

you dont pvp so it doesnt matter to you.

Dope
22-01-13, 20:05
This is an excellent idea.

Consider dying far from home (say the gap between those two replicants was a bit less wide than you hoped, or you found the ceres room when you were looking for spiders...) You can easily appraise whether or not it's worth it to you to fetch your things.

Grogor
23-01-13, 00:40
Torg strikes Again... *sigh*

What the fuck? Is this some kind of argument?

Well, I totally agree with Torg.

you dont pvp so it doesnt matter to you.

And I do PvP so it matters to me.

If anyone doesn't know what he lost, go and fetch your belt. It's the price of dying without LE.
Everybody seems so lazy these days...

Dope
23-01-13, 08:22
The reason I think it's a great idea is exactly that!

I'll go fetch a nice drone, but I won't bother with a Milky Ren. If I knew clearly and didn't have to guess, I'd know to go or not.

"The price of dying without LE?!" REALLY? - like it's wrong to play without it?

Doc Holliday
23-01-13, 08:51
Its a good idea. Better than trying to have a photographic memory of what you had in your inventory. everyone has a good idea whats in the qb and can see an armour piece missing but what happens when its not one of these items. it could be a tech part or anything. Could be a drone as mentioned also or some other not so obvious item that is equally valuable to you.

<3 the price of dying without the LE comment. great argument well thought out and clearly presented. O_o i now predict this thread to derail in to an LE vs NON LE debate and the same old bullshit rhetoric to continue.

Sorin
23-01-13, 09:12
What my friend did back in the day was buy 10 or whatever it was of the highest level store bought monk spells. I don't know if it's still true, but at the time it chose the item from your top 10 (or 20?) most valuable items. So whenever he died, he always knew exactly what he lost. Well, more or less. He knew it was one of the monk spells and nothing actually important.

But, that was many years ago. Not sure if the drop system has changed since then.

That aside, yes, a notification would be nice.

And just out of curiosity, Torg, since you've opposed every single idea that's come up in recent times...what changes do you think would be good? Serious question, not being a smartass.

Dropout
23-01-13, 13:05
What the fuck? Is this some kind of argument?

Well, I totally agree with Torg.

And I do PvP so it matters to me.

If anyone doesn't know what he lost, go and fetch your belt. It's the price of dying without LE.
Everybody seems so lazy these days...
Torg just disagrees with every single idea that comes up here..
And what would be wrong with a message in your chatwindow that said "Item: blabla was dropped in belt" or something like that..?

What my friend did back in the day was buy 10 or whatever it was of the highest level store bought monk spells. I don't know if it's still true, but at the time it chose the item from your top 10 (or 20?) most valuable items. So whenever he died, he always knew exactly what he lost. Well, more or less. He knew it was one of the monk spells and nothing actually important.I did the same on Terra - Worked quite well :)

danmalone
23-01-13, 13:20
Judging by some of the other recent posts I've seen Torg make, I didn't think I'd ever agree with him... I was wrong.

Speaking from past experience: If I died and noticed it wasn't a piece of armor or QB item missing, I'd be left wondering what it was which would usually lead me into going back and picking it up. I'd say 8/10 it was usually something that I wouldn't have missed but there were those 'holy shit wtf' moments where it was something I couldn't live without.

If this change were to be implemented then it would lead to a large increase of QB’s left around various zones filled with useless junk and make the hacking skill almost pointless unless you’re a hacker at an op fight or one that actually partakes in hacknet PVE/collecting bp’s etc.
The main reason I spec hacking on my characters is so I can actually get a chance at some decent stuff from random belts I come across.

I can understand the arguments to get something like this implemented but I can also see where Torg is coming from – This would just make things ‘too easy’ in a sense.

Just my personal opinion obviously so please feel free to rip it apart as you wish ;)

William Antrim
23-01-13, 13:42
If the drop system doesn't changethen half the belts left out there already have useless shit in them dan so what's the difference. At least this way the ppu or someone else with good high end stuff in their belts would feel much safer with this feature. Besides its a nice modern little feature that makes perfect sense and ought to be easy to implement.

Doc Holliday
23-01-13, 15:07
A simple line of text underneath the "you were killed by" message could be "You dropped ...... Item label"

i hacked 4 belts today. it was all low level noob stuff that i found. a knife and some armour but it was nice to find the belt and hack it. i enjoy finding random shit as much as i do killing people and taking their stuff from their belts.

Brammers
23-01-13, 15:40
Good idea but no thanks.

As Torg said, why take away a bit of uncertainty (And fun) of not knowing what you had dropped? One of these happen when you drop your belt.

1) You realised you dropped a hacktool. You not going to worry about it.
2) You dropped a high slotted weapon. Yes you will try and get it back at by all means possible.
3) You don't know what you dropped. Do you go back for your belt or not?
4) You had alcohol. You don't know if you dropped a belt or not....
5) You completely forget you had a 4 slot Healing Light in slot 2, and you tell your clan mates not to worry about your belt when you died hunting in a team. All is well until one of clan mates comes across your belt... The end result: A rather embarrassed Brammers and lots of stick from my clan-mates. :lol:

Shazam
23-01-13, 15:50
im a bit on the fence on this one, yeah it would be nice to be notified what you have lost, but i think this would make hacking random belts in the wastes etc pointless as it would always be junk in the belts.

Granted most of the belts you see lying around probably have a stam booster or dog tag in etc, but dont take away the lottery of the big prize loot you may stumble across

Grogor
23-01-13, 17:45
The reason I think it's a great idea is exactly that!
"The price of dying without LE?!" REALLY? - like it's wrong to play without it?

<3 the price of dying without the LE comment. great argument well thought out and clearly presented.

It's nothing wrong with taking it out. Except one character all my characters (even my traders) have LE out. But taking out the LE let's you part in the PVP with all it's benefits and drawbacks.
I thought, I shift my argumentation to the style of argumentation going on here.
Where is the problem when there is someone out here not agreeing with any of your ideas. There is no need for that, on
contrary that gives you someone you can discuss.

If the drop system doesn't changethen half the belts left out there already have useless shit in them dan so what's the difference. At least this way the ppu or someone else with good high end stuff in their belts would feel much safer with this feature. Besides its a nice modern little feature that makes perfect sense and ought to be easy to implement.

I do play a PPU. I have the high end stuff. And yes it would feel safer. Do I want to feel save? No. Otherwise I'd play a other game. Maybe we could put in some kind of autosave, that would feel much safer.
And why does that information makes perfect sense? Maybe you could explain that a little closer. In my world it doesn't make sense. You got killed. A overwhelming experience for the character. You got stroken with SI, which shows how fucked up your brain is. So not knowing what you lost makes perfect sense.

William Antrim
23-01-13, 18:20
I do play a PPU. I have the high end stuff. And yes it would feel safer. Do I want to feel save? No. Otherwise I'd play a other game. Maybe we could put in some kind of autosave, that would feel much safer.
And why does that information makes perfect sense? Maybe you could explain that a little closer. In my world it doesn't make sense. You got killed. A overwhelming experience for the character. You got stroken with SI, which shows how fucked up your brain is. So not knowing what you lost makes perfect sense.

If you want an educated discussion, drop the sarcasm.

Pretty much everyone I know goes through their belt when they die just to try to find out what is in the belt. This feature will help them identify it quicker thus saving that headscratching and wondering. The first thing I do is press f4 and check to see if my boots are still there.

The majority of belt drops in NC are crap anyway. It is very rare that a person drops a belt with anything of value in it. Sure a PPU's belt is a prized possession because you might get a rare shield or some other valuable item but seriously in almost ALL of the other 3 classes belts what do you normally find? Crap.

The same stuff is going to drop in the same belts and the same people are going to go through their inventories and see what they lost so this feature being implemented is NOT going to change that. If you want exciting stuff dropping in peoples belts then you need to change the item drop randomisation and make other valuable things drop in belts. However if you do that you are going to make EVEN more people keep their LE's in their heads so as not to drop a belt and therefore not lose a nice item.

This would be a bad thing for the NC community.

If you want to change this item drop randomisation then you will also need to probably make rare drops a bit more common to allow people who lose this stuff to replace it.

Again probably a bad thing for the community.

Now if you want to BENEFIT some people in the community then you can implement this feature and SPEED UP a process they ALREADY carry out and HELP them to see if their belt item is worth going back for or not.

The point is they do it already so why is it so much of a chore to implement something to help that process. So you Grogor are saying that you LIKE the ten minutes searching through your inventory and seeing what spells you lost when you died due to some random bug/teh evil pkars!!11 and then you ENJOY spending up to ten to fifteen minutes waiting off your SI, getting poked and GRing back to where you lost said item and then retreiving it. Yeah ok mate. The word masochist comes to mind.

I am not one of them so I like this new feature.

I capitalised the important words in each of the sentences to more clearly make my point. I hope that it helps you some.

William Antrim
23-01-13, 18:27
P.s - (because I cannot edit on my browser)

P.s Belt hacking was introduced to change the mechanic of dropping your gun (out of your hand gents!!!!) when you died. Can you imagine the uproar on this forum if any of you got ganked and lost your brand new rare weapon? Noone would EVER take their LE out!

Hackers have Mobs to hack (PVE) and supply boxes to hack (PVE) and Hacknet (PVE) and OPs (PVP) so I personally do not see how this nerfs hackers at all considering the above.

Grogor
23-01-13, 19:05
The same stuff is going to drop in the same belts and the same people are going to go through their inventories and see what they lost so this feature being implemented is NOT going to change that.

That leaves me with 3 questionmarks over my head. Why should I go through my inventory, if the feature tells me what I've lost? Besides that I've found valuable items from all classes (on Titan).

If you want exciting stuff dropping in peoples belts then you need to change the item drop randomisation and make other valuable things drop in belts. However if you do that you are going to make EVEN more people keep their LE's in their heads so as not to drop a belt and therefore not lose a nice item.

This would be a bad thing for the NC community.

No one asked for that. As far as I recall we just don't want a information revealing what you lost, except your own brain or looking in the belt. Same to the rest of your this is a bad thing for the community.

Now if you want to BENEFIT some people in the community then you can implement this feature and SPEED UP a process they ALREADY carry out and HELP them to see if their belt item is worth going back for or not.

The point is they do it already so why is it so much of a chore to implement something to help that process. So you Grogor are saying that you LIKE the ten minutes searching through your inventory and seeing what spells you lost when you died due to some random bug[...]

You want to speed up a process, that doesn't need to be speeded up. And no, I don't like the searching and waiting, but I have accepted it as the price for beeing beaten, either by the game or other players.

P.s - (because I cannot edit on my browser)
P.s Belt hacking was introduced to change the mechanic of dropping your gun (out of your hand gents!!!!) when you died. Can you imagine the uproar on this forum if any of you got ganked and lost your brand new rare weapon? Noone would EVER take their LE out!

Hackers have Mobs to hack (PVE) and supply boxes to hack (PVE) and Hacknet (PVE) and OPs (PVP) so I personally do not see how this nerfs hackers at all considering the above.

First, I started playing with Evo2.2, so basically I learned the game how it is now. So the good ol' times stories are of no interest for me. If it happens that we get to a point in a forward process that is equal to a point back then, that's fine.

And to the last sentence: Yes, they have quite some places to use their hacking skill, but to do so they have to invest 100 skillpoints and more, so they deserve something for that.

And now I have, on your behalf, go through your post on the meta layer:

If you want an educated discussion, drop the sarcasm.

What goes around, comes around. I like the german saying more, but that will do it. Have you read your posts? Maybe you start with your own.

I capitalised the important words in each of the sentences to more clearly make my point. I hope that it helps you some. .

Yeah ok mate. The word masochist comes to mind.

And that's only the last one (if we count the post scriptum towards that post).

William Antrim
23-01-13, 20:40
That leaves me with 3 questionmarks over my head. Why should I go through my inventory, if the feature tells me what I've lost? Besides that I've found valuable items from all classes (on Titan).

Thats the whole point, you dont need to any more.

The rest of your post is just dissection of my previous post, adding nothing further to the discussion so I do not have anything to comment on.

Dope
23-01-13, 20:57

Yep, and there was no *Number One Safe Slot either. I was not upset at the belt changes, tbh. It was rough times for my non-LE drone spy ;)

This is an excellent observation for the other threads about hacknet/hacker usability that should inspire some brainporting about how to make the Hacker experience more complete! thanks!

Izeo
25-01-13, 18:04
At first, it seems like a great idea. I almost think, "Why isn't this already in game?"

But after I thought about it, on this I agree with Torg/Grogor/danmalone. It is true that 95% of the belts out there have useless junk - I'm not complaining, but it's true because 95% of the time, when a player drops an item that's valuable to them, they'll go back and get it. However, I'd bet all of you reading this have found something great, like PA or something rare. Let's say the chance of that happening now is 5%. If a nice message reminds you of what you've dropped, the chance of that happening then is 1% or 0%.

Torg
25-01-13, 18:12
And: hacking other peoples belts in one of the few "bad" things you can do within NC game mechanics, like actually stealing stuff (besides cheating as in "i'm a trader"...). any auto-notification-service would make hacking belts less exciting. did we think of that?

phunqe
25-01-13, 19:54
I just chuckled a bit and affirmed my love for this game and its community a little more.

Going from OOC in game with what can basically be translated to

OOC > xxx: your mom
OOC > xxxxx: stfu
OOC > xxxx: your mom
OOC > xxx: stfu
OOC > xxxxx: your mom

to a thread like this with perfectly sound, intelligent and interesting viewpoints.

:D

Disclaimer: Not saying that any of the OOC nick examples would be anyone in this thread ;)

Serious note: I agree with the counter points, you loose the chance of that next belt hack being a WoC PA or a slotted CS :)

Doc Holliday
26-01-13, 07:09
I dont think it does. If i die and i lose a belt and its valuable and i know what it is regardless of whether i read the chat box or i figured out what was missing im gonna go get it back. If i lose something that i can honestly live without i may or may not go get it back.

However. The onus now is on who ever just killed me to hack that belt quickly or leave it as they have a small window of opportunity to do so while i get poked and wait off the SI and then gr etc.

Regardless of whether or not i choose to go back and get it they have this opportunity. Its the hackers choice to make the most of it.

So in other words NO it will not ruin the chance of getting something nice in belts IF the kill is fresh. If its a belt thats been out there a while or you personally didnt kill the person then its random luck.

Besides. People will still use *Supply belts* where they store stuff. Ammo etc. I have even looted an unressed tech part from a belt once. Now tell me do u think the runner would have come back for that if he had known what was in it?

phunqe
26-01-13, 09:01
If the kill is fresh, then no obviously as you said since that is the same in any case. If there is a hacker ready to hack it does not matter since you won't have time to get your belt anyway.

However I can see the situation where you don't get the notification and you dont immediately see what it is and you might get distracted doing other things. Then one hour later you realize it was an unressed mc5 part or whatever. With the notification, you would not allow yourself to get distracted, you would go get it right away.

Praetorian
27-01-13, 14:42
I completely forgot to post in this thread, but i seriously dont understand what the problem would be to have a notification of what you drop in your QB. These days you even have a notification of what kills you (Unless its by that damn guy NULL) even if you are in no position to notice (sniped, killed while hacking a belt, afk etc).

If you really want uncertainty, lets just remove all notifications and helpful messages/info in the game? I dont get it? O_o

As a PPU it would be quite beneficial having this feature so you dont have to take a screenshot of your inventory+QB so you can figure out which of your spare spells to go pick out of the gogo.

Besides, like described above, most of the time if theres anything good in the belt, it will have to be hacked immediatly or the owner will come back for it regardless.

Finally i just want to say that you come to expect this kind of notification from modern games. But because this game is 10+ years old it just wasnt thought of back then and never implemented.