PDA

View Full Version : Batch processing

Vorak
18-01-13, 01:33
The processor would churn out the items but also take x times as long to process and slow your movement speed resepectively. If you run out of the corresponding bps/datacubes, grease/substance/fluid, a component, or max your weight then the process stops.

Jodo
18-01-13, 03:33
I've been thinking about this myself recently. Trying to decide if it makes the game too easy or compliments it.
I do think overall that it makes sense though. Societies and markets work in bulk orders so having the ability to process in bulk seems a logical step. Although, I would stipulate that doing so requires facilities (Lab's, Factories and Mines) as it is obviously no longer a simple one-man job and would require extra equipment.
TL 150 res mission cubes are always in high demand and so much of the time people "hack" to achieve these in high quantities so it would be nice for us non-cheats to be able do something similar.
I would also like to be able to "turn in" large quantities. Again, societies and markets work in bulk. DRE, TT, FA and all the other factions would surely want to deal in bulk whenever possible.

William Antrim
18-01-13, 14:13
Give batch processing some high construction/research requirement then. It shouldnt be available to a brand new constructor but it would need to be "unlocked" so to speak after a specific mission perhaps (like a Woc type deal for the cster but without the ridiculous XP). It should not preclude new tradeskillers from levelling though.

It should not be a form of powerlevelling either. This is the reason it was not introduced before as you can level a spy/monk whilst afk with this. They dont want that.

If it had this high requirement and a huge amount of money to "rent the machinery" then I would be all for it.

Vorak
18-01-13, 16:31
Maybe after you reach a certain lvl in the skill where processing lower TL items/chemicals and xp gained would be trivial, they could then be done in bulk. I had wondered about requiring the use of a factory/lab/mine but wasn't sure, it would make sense though.

William Antrim
18-01-13, 19:02
Maybe after you reach a certain lvl in the skill where processing lower TL items/chemicals and xp gained would be trivial, they could then be done in bulk. I had wondered about requiring the use of a factory/lab/mine but wasn't sure, it would make sense though.

if it requires a factory etc then only the big clans get to use this feature. that shafts the LE traders and new guys. I wouldnt wanna see that.

Torg
18-01-13, 19:23
this topic has been discussed quite a few times already. back then i'd (brainport-)proposed a batch machine (res, cst) to be placed in an appartment, so your char would be able to trade busily in the meantime. but i was convinced by dear members of the community not to stick to this idea, as it would benefit strong players/clans only and widen the gap between average and dedicated players. so my vote is: no.

Vorak
20-01-13, 15:42
this topic has been discussed quite a few times already. back then i'd (brainport-)proposed a batch machine (res, cst) to be placed in an appartment, so your char would be able to trade busily in the meantime. but i was convinced by dear members of the community not to stick to this idea, as it would benefit strong players/clans only and widen the gap between average and dedicated players. so my vote is: no.

What would need to be done then to benefit both?

Dribble Joy
21-01-13, 00:05
We don't have batch processing for the same reason we aren't allowed macros.

Vorak
21-01-13, 16:05
How about using the available slots in the processor to get the most you can from it? There are 9 processor slots -1 for the tool, leaving 8 empty slots. You could only get out as much as you could put in.

Using REC, the most you could get of WPs/APs is 4 from 4 pair but also take 4x as long as any 1 pair. The only chems you could recycle more of would be Sol and Gam at 2 Sol with 8 Chitin (Sol = 4 chitin) and Gamonin at 2 Gam with 2 ea of Sol/Met D/Trs/Adc.

Using CST, the most of WP1-WP10 that could be constructed from the chems needed would be 9 total slots - CST tool - each bp - the chems required. Thus:
4 WP1
4 WP2
2 WP3
4 WP4
2 WP5
2 WP6
1 WP7
2 WP8
1 WP9
1 WP10
(same for APs)

Using Research, 6 bps could be copied from one bp (RES tool + item + datacube: 9 - 3 = 6 free slots) or 7 from a previously researched bp but again it would take 6 or 7x longer than 1 bp would.

Jodo
21-01-13, 16:29
How about using the available slots in the processor to get the most you can from it? There are 9 processor slots -1 for the tool, leaving 8 empty slots. You could only get out as much as you could put in.

Using REC, the most you could get of WPs/APs is 4 from 4 pair but also take 4x as long as any 1 pair. The only chems you could recycle more of would be Sol and Gam at 2 Sol with 8 Chitin (Sol = 4 chitin) and Gamonin at 2 Gam with 2 ea of Sol/Met D/Trs/Adc.

Using CST, the most of WP1-WP10 that could be constructed from the chems needed would be 9 total slots - CST tool - each bp - the chems required. Thus:
4 WP1
4 WP2
2 WP3
4 WP4
2 WP5
2 WP6
1 WP7
2 WP8
1 WP9
1 WP10
(same for APs)

Using Research, 6 bps could be copied from one bp (RES tool + item + datacube: 9 - 3 = 6 free slots) or 7 from a previously researched bp but again it would take 6 or 7x longer than 1 bp would.

I really like this idea. It's not changing the game dramatically but it does make things a little more efficient and utilises existing content.

William Antrim
21-01-13, 20:49
Im with you. Vorak wins and I also love how Torg says no just because everyone thought his idea was bad... :) speaks volumes about your character mucker.

BetMonty
21-01-13, 22:03
if it requires a factory etc then only the big clans get to use this feature. that shafts the LE traders and new guys. I wouldnt wanna see that.

what about a bulk contstructor (or copier) furniture item? Interact with it and it opens a processor window - you put the grease, bps and ingredients into it and hit go. It uses its TL and your skill for its roles, but basically builds (really slowly?) until it runs out of ingredients?

Drachenpaladin
21-01-13, 22:30
We don't have batch processing for the same reason we aren't allowed macros.

I dare to say that batch processing makes a good portion of (crafting)-macros redundant... And batch processing in return doesn't necessary makes macros legit.

Anyway:
No additional skill/item/tool should be required nor should times increase, they simply add up. Neither should you need OPs, they might give a reduction on the time (like 10%) but shouldn't be a base requirement, just a winning margin. Ofc a batch can only always be for one kind of item.

Regarding that afk-leveling... honestly, what gives?! If they want to level their gimp while idling for 3 days and nights... so what? I mean... Its not like they wouldn't do anything, they are crafting after all. Thats what crafters do anyway... sitting there and stare at the progress bar/something else with NC in the background. Artificially inflating the leveling time by forcing them to do every task manually... srsly, thats blatant bullshit.

In the end we might even make crafting professions more attractive because its not such of an pain in the ass anymore, just imagine :eek:
But oh neos, that would mean more competition among the crafters in the future :rolleyes:

Vorak
22-01-13, 16:08
This wouldn't exclude failures of course but the processor wouldn't stop at any either unless it's the last one. In other words, any failures and the processor would move to the next one until it's done.

Torg
22-01-13, 21:47
i would love (and always did) to have a construction machine in my app, just like in pepper 3s construction facility. a machine to do the boring batch work for me. but i could also talk to a lo-skill constructor and ask him or her to take the job. which would be a superior solution, in terms of NC being an MMO. and, william, you're a funny and cute little person for not understanding that getting convinced by valid arguments is a thing. while "wouldn't it be nice to have..." is not within the class of valid arguments. maybe we want to ask for a some xp gain for traders instead?