PDA

View Full Version : [00767][R#176] First Shot doesn't register

Deus Ex Machina
09-01-13, 17:28
I recently noticed in several Wasteland sectors that my first shot doesn't register with damage. First I noticed it with an area weapon, as none of the Mini Scorpions (CR 4 or so) died on the first shot (while I got damage). I wasn't sure if it might be because of different positions on server and client, but later I could confirm it by shooting with a direct laser weapon on CR 4 Rattlesnakes. They just didn't die on the first shot by a TL 75 weapon. They should.

Trivaldi
09-01-13, 17:35
Couple of things so we can reproduce:

Did you get any damage numbers even though the mob didn't die?
Did the health bar of the mob change at all?
Did the mob aggro on you from the first shot?
Does this only occur in Wasteland sectors?
Were you moving or standing still while shooting (as per your thought on positioning)?

pottburter
09-01-13, 18:08
As I had this issue quite often too, Ill chip-in my findings:

> Did you get any damage numbers even though the mob didn't die?

Yes

> Did the health bar of the mob change at all?

No

> Did the mob aggro on you from the first shot?

No

> Does this only occur in Wasteland sectors?

Also happens in caves and had it on my tank in OZ4 as well.

> Were you moving or standing still while shooting (as per your thought on positioning)?

Both

Also, sometimes it's not just the first shot. On few occasions a scorpion survied 2-3 shots from a tl75 laser and tl80(?) fusion rifle.

/Edit: Once in a while I empty a full magazine of fusion shots on fire mobs without them take even a scratch or pulling aggro. Seems to me this is a distance issue as it can be resolved by getting closer to the mob.
While this happens I can always see increasing damage numbers on the mob.

Trivaldi
09-01-13, 18:17
Another question:

Does this occur only on mobs you expect to one shot kill or high level mobs too?

Grogor
09-01-13, 19:12
I've seen this behaviour on mobs that haven't been killed once. Like after a complete zone reset. The first shot is ignored. After they respawn they work properly.

Dribble Joy
09-01-13, 19:30
What was your ping like?
Where are you located?

I sometimes get this, as if the client and the server disagree on if you hit or not. Mobs fleeing also frequently take no damage as if their script is locked in part of a loop and can't be hurt.

Izeo
09-01-13, 21:01
Happens to me too, all the time. It's not a client/server difference because I've had several times where I walk up to a spider or something point blank, shoot it with a fully locked-on bullet, all hit effects occur (including numbers) but hp bar doesn't move.

-yes
-no
-yes
-have had it happen everywhere
Were you moving or standing still while shooting (as per your thought on positioning)?
-standing still, fully locked-on
Does this occur only on mobs you expect to one shot kill or high level mobs too?
-both

I've seen this behaviour on mobs that haven't been killed once. Like after a complete zone reset. The first shot is ignored. After they respawn they work properly.
This sounds legit. haven't tested this but it definitely sounds like a good possibility. so, something may not get properly initialized on the mobs when they fiirst spawn?

Netphreak
09-01-13, 23:07
Happens to me too, all the time. It's not a client/server difference because I've had several times where I walk up to a spider or something point blank, shoot it with a fully locked-on bullet, all hit effects occur (including numbers) but hp bar doesn't move.

-yes
-no
-yes
-have had it happen everywhere
-standing still, fully locked-on
-both

This sounds legit. haven't tested this but it definitely sounds like a good possibility. so, something may not get properly initialized on the mobs when they fiirst spawn?

I would agree with this.
I have noticed it a few times before but it doesn't happen to all the time. So I'm thinking that the suggestion that they work correctly after a mob respawns might explain it.

Will try to test.

Ivan Eres
09-01-13, 23:41
To me it seems like the code changes for the clipping fix obstruct the mobs through the ground somehow sometimes although it doesn't look like this to the player. I could be wrong tho.

Deus Ex Machina
10-01-13, 00:51
? Did you get any damage numbers even though the mob didn't die?
Yes

? Did the health bar of the mob change at all?
No

? Did the mob aggro on you from the first shot?
No

? Does this only occur in Wasteland sectors?
Not sure yet

? Were you moving or standing still while shooting (as per your thought on positioning)?
Standing still

Also sometimes it were two shots maybe three, that didn't register right. All from the same position till the mob died. Was quite close too.

Izeo
10-01-13, 11:33
To help narrow down the problem,I feel I must mention that this bug had always happened to me BEFORE 175/176 as well, so I don't believe the clipping fix has anything to do with it

Trivaldi
10-01-13, 12:38
To help narrow down the problem,I feel I must mention that this bug had always happened to me BEFORE 175/176 as well, so I don't believe the clipping fix has anything to do with it
That kind of information is very important thank you. Can anyone else add to this too?

Is this an all the time thing, every time for every mob, or not?

Any information we can use to reproduce would be awesome. :)

nEo-1664
10-01-13, 12:59
Was on PTS last night, and when killing the 4/4 Rat for the Super Hard Mission Guy in the Ceres Temple, I spoke to him, the rat spawned, 1 shot, rat died. Spoke to the guy again, rat spawned, 5 shots later, still alive. Pulled out my fists, and then punched him to death OK.

The details below relate to the 2nd rat ONLY as this was the one who caused the problem :)

Did you get any damage numbers even though the mob didn't die? Yes
Did the health bar of the mob change at all? No
Did the mob aggro on you from the first shot? No
Does this only occur in Wasteland sectors? No
Were you moving or standing still while shooting (as per your thought on positioning)? Stood stationary until I pulled out my fists, then was moving.

Edit: Oh, I was fully leveled up, fully chipped up and was using a 5-slot Arti RAV :) was hitting it for 350+ damage a burst :) (According to the numbers coming off the rats head(Both first and second rat))

yavimaya
11-01-13, 13:08
That kind of information is very important thank you. Can anyone else add to this too?

Is this an all the time thing, every time for every mob, or not?

Any information we can use to reproduce would be awesome. :)

It has happened since NC1 as far as i can remember, alot of the time ive almost thought of it like a wakeup call and just accepted it, as it seems to happen more on static mobs also mobs that spawn next to you, when they fail to recognise you are there - mostly lower level mobs as they wont aggro a higher level player.
It may not have happened way back when you were able to 1 hit kill other runners, its been too long to remember.

William Antrim
11-01-13, 15:25
After reading this thread I think I understand more about this bug.

I too have experienced it I think.

I honestly thought that it was a terrain issue. The reason I say this is because at times out in the wastelands I have been driving around in my tank shooting firemobs and they have no registered hits. when I have been shooting them.

Yes the reticle was locked

Yes I was stationary

Yes I saw the animation

No I didnt see any numbers

No it didnt take damage

I have moved locations however (only by a few metres sometimes) and I found that the problem was resolved. This has all only been in one zone though (I am a creature of habit) and so it might be the zone that is an issue rather than the mechanics.

I hope it might help or be related in some way.