PDA

View Full Version : Non-Rare weapons - dmg bonus vs players.

William Antrim
13-12-12, 14:35
I had this crazy idea to give noobs some help vs players if they are on the cusp of getting their rare weapons and want to pvp.

What about giving them a damage bonus vs players = to the amount of slots they have on said weapon.

With the current economy and the ability to get multiple slot enhancers relatively easily would it be pertinent to perhaps give ALL guns (to encourage more pvp possibly at lower levels or just to give the non-rare owners a fighting chance) a % damage bonus vs players. Like 3% possibly per slot, nothing too overpowering.

So for example I have my tl92 pulse laser pistol and it is 5 slotted. Lets say it does 100 damage to player for round figures. So with the 5 slots it does an extra 15% damage against a player. The demand for this item over its less slotted counterparts would increase exponentially. The cost and ease of building (due to the fact it is store bought and can be batch built and then have slot enhancers added) would give tradeskillers a whole new line in business. It would provide a new market of mid tier weaponry and most of all people could feel more confident perhaps in PVP a handfull of levels earlier.

Is this something that can be done? I opted for PVP only in the first instance as i think it could imbalance the game too much if applied to pve as well (due to the scarcity of noob resources and first time players being overtaken by alts levelling to cap with a clan behind them - or at least more so than it already is).

CMaster
13-12-12, 15:08
But a 5 slot non-rare already does more damage than a 1 slot, because it has better damage and frequency stats, and it's easier to hit things with, due to the better range (especially) and handling stats.

I also don't think it would be a great idea to add extra factors effecting damage on top of those that are already clearly displayed on the weapon. Mystery factors like that just go unnoticed to newbies, as there is nothing in the game to tell them. Perhaps a better way of making things fairer would be to get rid of the 10% bonus that rares (and 15% that WoC) get. After all, they're already higher TL, but it would make the gap less glaring.

Perhaps a better

Torg
13-12-12, 15:56
Perhaps a better way of making things fairer would be to get rid of the 10% bonus that rares (and 15% that WoC) get.thank you for posting the link. the OP over there and the following forum discussion clearly show problems with the damage bonus system. example: WOC guns have a +15 %points damage bonus over non-rares (with equal stats) and 5 %points over rares of the same TL. we can also see why tangent epics are so overpowered.

Question to the undisputably best Dev team on earth: is it possible to remove boni for rare, epic and woc altogether and cut hightech to a 5% bonus (to balance a possible loss of runspeed), without crashing the whole game? i guess it should, so why don't we try that on Titan, so everyone was involved in this experiment.

remember: the goal of this discussion was to bring more players to PvP. even those without WoC or really sought-after rare weapons (as opposed to lower TL rares and well-constructed high-tl non-rares). dont we want to "live in a world" where you could join an OPwar with a pain easer, a ravager or a liberator, without being plain cannon fodder?

Netphreak
13-12-12, 19:29
But a 5 slot non-rare already does more damage than a 1 slot, because it has better damage and frequency stats, and it's easier to hit things with, due to the better range (especially) and handling stats.

I also don't think it would be a great idea to add extra factors effecting damage on top of those that are already clearly displayed on the weapon. Mystery factors like that just go unnoticed to newbies, as there is nothing in the game to tell them. Perhaps a better way of making things fairer would be to get rid of the 10% bonus that rares (and 15% that WoC) get. After all, they're already higher TL, but it would make the gap less glaring.

Perhaps a better

I would want to keep the to Rare and WoC damage bonuses to be honest, as they are something you have to work towards to get them.
However If you want to reduce the damage bonus to maybe 7% for Rares and 10% for WoC (or maybe even 5% for Rares and 7% for WoC) then I'm ok with that, as long as weapon damage across the board is balanced properly.
Having High TL non rares would also be a nice addition to the game as part of the balancing process.

Dribble Joy
13-12-12, 20:23
I'd prefer that the rare and WoC weapons had no advantage other than their greater ability to reach artefact status.
Then possibly bumb up the tl of the higher end weapons and do the same with rares (so non rares end around dex 85 for example and rares start at 85).
Obviously lower tl weapons need to be viable for this to work in giving people a wider range of choices across the tl range.