PDA

View Full Version : Change Faction Databases to be harder accessible

Deus Ex Machina
09-12-12, 20:20
At the moment, when i want something from one faction net, its much easier to just create a starting character with all in hacking of the chosen faction. I give him the necessary cubes and send him up there. No need for any hacknet char to organize the materials necessary to access a foreign net, not even necessary to contact a able hacker on that side.
I can't help it, that feels wrong to me. Either its meant for that things to be gotten that easily, then they could be out of hacknet all along. Or its meant for those things to be a little harder to get, then they should be better protected from a beginner char I just throw in there.

One "idea" if the items are meant to be gotten easier might be to have them buyable at the respective FSMs, but they can also be downloaded in the net - but also for your own database you need a codebreaker. That way one could either pay the FSM price or download it. Of course Components / Price would have to be figured out so that it actually has upsides to download the blueprint.

Its just a loose idea for that direction, not my "make it so, I'd find that cool" idea.

As for making harder there could be a certain hacking skill needed to bypass your own database, additional there could be a high sympathy needed; It could be that you need to be in the faction and have the "Master" title; or it could even be that also for your own side you need codebreakers.

Again only loose ideas.

P.Ss can't find how to change the title, should be more like "different" accessible, not "harder"

Torg
09-12-12, 21:56
you got a point. faction-alts may be convenient but are also a workaround (semi-exploit) of game mechanics.

Faid
09-12-12, 22:05
The Hacknet mobs don't work right inside the faction DB's. If they attack you at all they don't do any damage. There are six level 64 mobs guarding the entrances to each faction DB, this should be enough if they worked to attack anyone who isnt their faction.

Ivan Eres
09-12-12, 23:45
Accessing the faction DB could require a certain skill in HCK, for example 100.

murdog
14-01-13, 16:57
The mobs should kill you if your faction symp is below a certain lvl
Also you shouldn't get access to the DB itself when your hack is below a certain lvl, think 75HCK would be a good.

Doc Holliday
14-01-13, 17:11
Accessing the faction DB could require a certain skill in HCK, for example 100.

The easy, simple and logical way. Im in full agreement.

murdog
14-01-13, 17:31
I only take realy new players into account and there i think 100 HCK is to high.
BPs from faction db are a nice income if you are new and with 100HCK requirement you would lock them out of the only income except cash from mob kills.

For Vets the HCK requirement doesn't realy matter, it only needs a bit more time

Ivan Eres
14-01-13, 18:46
I only take realy new players into account and there i think 100 HCK is to high.
BPs from faction db are a nice income if you are new and with 100HCK requirement you would lock them out of the only income except cash from mob kills.

For Vets the HCK requirement doesn't realy matter, it only needs a bit more time

75 is good too, imo.

Deus Ex Machina
14-01-13, 23:33

More Time is important. To reach 100 takes some time so it isn't THAT easy to just make a Character of the required faction. 75 is much to low, you can start with 64, it takes you 5 Levels to reach 75, thats not really much (would be better than now though)

Bruder Malmsdoo
15-01-13, 01:15
to hack a database of another faction should be the job of a full level hacker imo. And for every bp you should have to run the full way, because al lot of people make trillions of bps with 1 run and sell them cheaply.

Kragar
16-01-13, 16:59
I agree that its too easy to get to the faction databases and download the blueprints but its abit too late to do anything about the current blueprints. I really hate nerfing and so do many other players and its unfair for new players to have much harder time to get these items than players that got them before. Instead new blueprints and new difficulties ( content ) should be made so both new and old players are at same level of difficulty getting the new items.

So Im in the view of leave it as it is and create new content that is harder to get. I have an idea of a upgrade of the faction system that I will post later which could affect this issue too.

murdog
17-01-13, 18:41
More Time is important. To reach 100 takes some time so it isn't THAT easy to just make a Character of the required faction. 75 is much to low, you can start with 64, it takes you 5 Levels to reach 75, thats not really much (would be better than now though)

May be we can make a compromise around 80-90 HCK

William Antrim
17-01-13, 23:18
I say go for 75 hack skill. It is not too low and not too high. I think you should have to do the hack game to get your bps too. This way PEs can still have access along with the usual monks and spies.

Also please bear in mind that you can access HN currently with like 30 hack. This would effectively double the requirement plus a bit to get the BPs and it still means that the PE can still feel useful in some minor way as a tradeskiller.

Ivan Eres
17-01-13, 23:24
I say go for 75 hack skill. It is not too low and not too high. I think you should have to do the hack game to get your bps too. This way PEs can still have access along with the usual monks and spies.

75 sounds pretty good for me.

Deus Ex Machina
18-01-13, 10:43

Also please bear in mind that you can access HN currently with like 30 hack. This would effectively double the requirement plus a bit to get the BPs and it still means that the PE can still feel useful in some minor way as a tradeskiller.You remind me of a point i forgot, which is "normal" runners that try to access HN content (compared to runners that are just created to download data). I was coming from the point of a newly created char, thats made only for download purposes.

Maybe it would be possible to either depend the restriction on two stats (one lowering the requirement of the other), or otherwise implement two "databases".
The secondary restriction could be for example on Faction Sympathy.
So a newly created char with 50 Sympathy (or less) would need 100 Hack. An active char in the faction, thats been played longer and has Faction sympathy 90 only needs 60 or maybe 50 Hack, or maybe none at all.

I wouldn't want to really stop a Private Eye or monk to download from his faction, I just want to stop a "just created" char to be able to do better than an experienced hacker of a different faction.

The alternative with two or more databases (there are already two or three "NPCs" in the location) might have
1) 50 Sympathy and 100 Hack for free download
2) 75 Sympathy and 75 Hack for free download
3) 95 Sympathy for free download

if you come from a different faction with a codebreaker it shouldn't matter which one you use.

William Antrim
18-01-13, 14:09
If you have a codebreaker you shouldnt need to hack the DB at all. Thats the point of the Codebreaker. It needs to have some form of value. Yeah DeusEX I hear what youre saying. I realise you meant the "mules" people create for just this kind of thing. I was just thinking about the rest of the population. My main is a spy but my first love (no joke) was my PE. I tend to be biased towards them because I loved (and still do) my PE the most. I look at everything through the eyes of the Private Eye I guess and see if he would be excluded from whatever skill is attempting to be created because ultimately its one more thing he can just about manage if it is implemented correctly, or not if he is not. It tempers my thoughts so to speak.

You are correct in the alt business but people will ALWAYS do this if there is the opportunity. If you stick a faction sympathy requirement on it then people will just do their recycle missions to achieve that sympathy. I have no problem with any of this as I feel it is a legitimate way to play as no rules are being broken. I just think if there are capped runners (probably more of them than 0/2 mules) then they need to be included in said mechanic also.

Morpheuz
10-02-13, 03:26
The alternative with two or more databases (there are already two or three "NPCs" in the location) might have
1) 50 Sympathy and 100 Hack for free download
2) 75 Sympathy and 75 Hack for free download
3) 95 Sympathy for free download

That sounds like a good idea for me.
Because to get the Glove or other Hacknet Items is way too easy, now. So there is not such a great motivation for having a high Hack skill.

MFG

Morpheuz
10-02-13, 03:26
Sorry for double post

Arista Barret
12-02-13, 22:53
Just wanted to show my support for changing the ease of access to hdb items. as the game stands you have /2 nubs collecting lvl60 gloves and top lvl drones and chips. Hacknet and a wonderful market are being eliminated from the gAme.