PDA

View Full Version : Remove Friendly Fire Effects While in Team Play.

kane
04-12-12, 03:33
Just reading some the LE threads and it has come to my conclusion that one feature that I think a lot of players might actually enjoy seeing is removing friendly fire when in a group. Not sure how hard it would it be to program such a feature but I think this could solve some of the more of the "oh crap I have No LE and we keep accidently killing our friends and oh crap my SL. and FUCK THIS GAME" moments lol.

Just an idea :)

EDIT: Or even maybe just a way not to be penalized if your in the same team. Though this could be griefed in a couple of ways overall this would make a few grouping people happy.

Forget My Name
04-12-12, 04:10
This would be a good change to help people remove LEs...

:)

BlueRobot
04-12-12, 05:22
You don't loose sl when you kill someone who's in your team, so I dont really see a problem with leveling here. Removing ff on the other hand would make AOE weapons too good in PvP.

kane
04-12-12, 05:51
You don't loose sl when you kill someone who's in your team, so I dont really see a problem with leveling here. Removing ff on the other hand would make AOE weapons too good in PvP.
Ahh really? Then what the heck were they all crying about lol, None LE should just team up if they don't team up then call in the other factions to remove them :P

Doc Holliday
05-12-12, 05:30
Agreed with Blue.

Although removing the FF ability means people cant do the good old "team up, gank and then take the belt" trick. Lesson there is dont team with people you dont know.

Kame
06-12-12, 05:56
Make caves (sewers, cellars, facilities, etc) warzones, problem solved !

Faid
06-12-12, 17:42
Make caves (sewers, cellars, facilities, etc) warzones, problem solved !

If you did this, then you would pretty much guarantee that people would keep their LE's in while leveling. This would give Griefers free reign in dungeons and caves.

Kame
06-12-12, 18:51
If you did this, then you would pretty much guarantee that people would keep their LE's in while leveling. This would give Griefers free reign in dungeons and caves.

I completely disagree with you Faid. Way I see things, "griefers" already reign in caves, and they get a dropbelt to hack on top of things !
Besides removing friendly-fire makes no RP-sense, since when does shooting point blank at someone with a doombeamer does no damage ?

Here's what I posted about that in some other thread, I feel it applies to this thread as well.

Making the dungeons/caves Warzone means :

- no SL loss/gain
- no FS loss/gain
- no dropbelts

This would have impacts on many aspects of the leveling part of the game. For one, leveling players would perhaps feel more inclined towards taking the LE out, since they would not fear losing items while leveling. And lets not forget that leveling players are the ones that populates leveling-areas, not end-game PVPrs.

It also would mean that you won't tend to accept random strangers team invite (by fear of mistakingly damaging them and their death then leading to your soullight being penalized) in such place, and would certainly not lead to your item getting stolen in you dropbelt.

Also I always found it weird that you get reward (dropbelt) for killing runners in dungeons/caves... you should get a reward for killing a runner in the wastes, the city, in fact everywhere but Safezones, Warzones (OP) and Dungeons/Caves.

It might also have an impact on gankers since there is no more belts to hack, or it might not (personnally I think it would not).

Would even provide new places for fighting, far from zonelines. I can already see clan wars for certain spots, like Regent.

I don't see too many maluses, apart from people claiming it will promote ganking in dungeons/caves, since that already happens quite often. I don't think there's a need to punish players from killing runners in the dungeons/caves.

William Antrim
06-12-12, 19:13
Most "griefers" dont give a shit about belts. They just want the kills.

Kame
06-12-12, 19:51
Most "griefers" dont give a shit about belts. They just want the kills.

Guys just take the time to think about it with an open mind and you might see that this could be a very nice game setting. Benefits most people.

I disagree with you William. Over the last 10 yrs, I have personally hacked 100s of belts from runners I had just killed in a cave/dungeon. Not saying im a "griefer" though, but I've done it.
Also the chances to get a good item are very high because most people will carry 2 weapons in those places, 1 for single mobs, and 1 AOE.
Yesterday, my noob alt got rezz/killed in CRP while I was afk for a piss break. The PPU/Spy team that killed me were actively hacking my belts. I guess I am not alone hacking belts in there.

Also with the setting I propose, no need to worry about losing SL for defending yourself in a cave. .
Not only soullight does nothing to prevent runners from PKing in caves, but it also discourage people to defend themselves when they get attacked in caves.
This currently creates a lose-lose situation for the runner being attacked : either he dies and loses a belt, or lives and loses SL.
I don't think increasing soullight loss is a good fix, as various soullight rules-set have been tried over the years and we can only attest to what happened : gankers continued being gankers.

Instead of desperatly trying to prevent something that is bound to happen, I think we should embrace it instead.

Faid
06-12-12, 20:12
Well I have to completely disagree with you Kame. If you incentivise people to kill other people in caves, you will attract more griefers, as happened to you when you got rez killed. And those people who rez killed you also lost SL. So the question is, do you want to attract more griefers to leveling areas? I would say no, but I do see your point, I just think it would have the opposite effect of what you think.

Kame
06-12-12, 20:34
This might attract more gankers but it also might attract bigger, un-LEd teams. I'm thinking with (possibly) more unLE'd runners in those caves, it would become increasingly hard to go on a gank run since you would now be facing a complete team, not just 1 runner out of the 10 thats not LEd as is currently the case.

Also I'm not so sure people would waste time rezz-killing if no belts were dropped, as this would have almost no negative effect on the player being rezz-killed, apart maybe wrecking his armor, so it offers very little in terms of griefing.

Of course one might argue this game setting would have the opposite effect than what I(we) expect. This is most likely the biggest potential malus to this game-rule change. I guess without trying it, we will never know. However I wanted to bring this up as one of the possible avenues and discuss it with others.

Chuck Norris
06-12-12, 21:33
Instead of desperatly trying to prevent something that is bound to happen, I think we should embrace it instead.

This si completely the wrong way to look at this situation; I hope devs realize this.

Doc Holliday
07-12-12, 05:37
This si completely the wrong way to look at this situation; I hope devs realize this.

NO. its an opinion. Opinions are shared and discussed. Its an intriguing thought to me. Lots of people care about dropping items/guns etc and are very cautious about it. myself included.

Maybe one option would be increase penalty for killing in caves but remove belt drops? a half way house between it all. Caves would obviously be a prime spot for levelling even more so than they are now.

If the gank team comes in debuffing the ppu whos in there healing and then decides to wipe all the others out after then it wont matter if its one none le runner or ten. the ganker will still have his kills. One (unfortunately) has to assume that the ganker will more than likely have a ppu with him so that then puts the levelling team at a bit of a disadvantage too. the ganker gets healed and buffed and he can lay waste to multiple targets while the levelling guys end up hitting each other perhaps.

Thats one situation that could occur. Not sure now having wrote it out what i think.

I think one thing we can all agree on in a sense is that the community has softened in some ways. Perhaps its because lower pops during the bad times and people got used to keeping the LE in to avoid the gank as it was hard to find a poker etc or perhaps its just not like it used to be(tm) but yes there's been a lot of discussion about adjusting the LE to try and promote more pvp.

I don't know if a change of mechanics will adjust this but maybe a change in attitude from the community will. If more people choose to remove it at lower levels it will (perhaps) encourage others to do the same. Problem is when your faced with an army of blue runners including a ppu in a leveling spot and your the only yellow one (in name this is. im sure you all understood.) you kinda feel left out.

Anyway. bit of a wander off the topic.

Another issue to counter the whole belt drop thing means by taking it away your gonna have less belts lying around which means loss of income for some :) and also people will be able to gr to far away places like regants load up junk and kill self and gr out with 0 belt loss. that's not cool.

Oh hang on that's only a benefit that LE users should have cause they don't get any others apart from dropping less imps on death and not getting ganked and losing shit, not risking losing vehicles getting blown up the by "griefers" and being able to afk in caves and piss people off.

Obviously on the flip side they cant join clans so that totally outweighs the benefits they derive from keeping it in. not a thread hijack. just making a point and typing as the thoughts coalesce in my head.