PDA

View Full Version : [R#175] Rollback Info

Mokoi
30-11-12, 17:01
The patching of retail did not go down as smoothly as everyone would have hoped.
With Neocrons history in mind, we knew there was a chance this could happen and thus had announced that we may perform a rollback after the 2 day evaluation.

What kind of rollback will take place?
Due to severe complications with the database, a number of critical issues surfaced - including, but not limited to, the unintentional duplication or disappearance of items or whole inventories.
This makes a rollback of the database unavoidable. The database will be rolled back to the point in time where TITAN was shut down. Meaning items, appartments, character data etc. will all be reset to their prepatch state.

Will TITAN be reverted to R#174?
We have the option of going back to #174, but clearly our goal is to keep going with a R#175+ patchlevel and not revert TITANs patchlevel. Of course, we are still evaluating the situation, but progress made this far suggests that we can get R#175+ to a state suitable for retail operation. Of course, this also means that it is extremely important that anything that could be considered a release blocker is brought to light. So please - despite the rollback, continue thoroughly testing stuff and report issues so we can reproduce and swiftly fix them. Naturally we will not resume retail operation for TITAN until all release blockers are out of the way - if required, we may opt to extend the evaluation period. This is not set in stone and as you would expect, closely depends on the issues at hand.

When will the rolback take place?
As explained above, this is a currently moving target. Expect an update later tonight. (Update added below)

Why were the problems not detected earlier?
Most of the critical issues observed are linked to a certain amount of server/db load that simply did not happen on the testserver due to poor attendance.
Other issues (less critical) were/are present on the testserver as well, but not tested or reported unfortunately. That said, we would like to thank those members of the community who have spent time on the testserver as well as thoroughly testing TITAN for the past 2 days - your contribution is equally important to ours. Right now, if the community doesn not do the job, it does not get done at all - that includes development, maintaining and paying for infrastructure, providing support and doing quality assurance / testing. The latter is something that requires all of us, not just a select group of "official volunteers" - so again, a big thanks to everyone who stepped up and contributed with helpful bug reports - keep it going, you guys rock!

Update: The evaluation period will be extended for approx. one day
This will allow us to better understand some of the issues we ran into as well as look into a couple of low tier bug fixes and improvements.
This makes for an anticipated return to "normal operations" on Saturday Dec 1st - no exact ETA can be given at this point.

William Antrim
30-11-12, 17:10
Thank you for keeping us informed. You guys are probably just as gutted as we are but hey. WE GOT A PATCH STILL!!!! :D

I for one am still keeping the faith.

Load
30-11-12, 17:15
as William said, a patch with a few problems is alot better than no patch at all! hope you can sort it out quickly to keep neocrack addicts withdrawl symptoms at bay

Netphreak
30-11-12, 17:15
Thanks for the heads up. Keep up the good work. It'll all be worth it.

Hell-demon
30-11-12, 17:16
Gutted but to be expected. It has been many years since the last patch. So is there much point levelling after the roll back? Or are we likely to get rolled back again? :(

Mokoi
30-11-12, 17:24
Gutted but to be expected. It has been many years since the last patch. So is there much point levelling after the roll back? Or are we likely to get rolled back again? :(

As stated above, the rollback will only occur after we are confident that long term stability has been restored.
To help ensure that this will indeed be the case, it is important to look for, identify and report issues _now_ and not after the rollback has been done.

phunqe
30-11-12, 17:47
The problem now is that not many want to play because they know there will be a rollback. On the other hand we need people to keep playing to check for issues.
Would it perhaps be suitable with some incentives (items, xp, whatever)? I don't know if it's even possible, but something to just have a day or two of fun? Will that help with testing or would it just provide misrepresentative test data?

PepsiPlayer
30-11-12, 18:12
TBH, the incentive should be that we have a stable server and a working patch, i understand the frustration at spending a few hours leveling and messing around only to loose those hours due to a roll back, but a few hours now for long term stability should be more than worth it, dont forget that if nothing is reported then it cant be sorted, so we will be having these problems for a while, best get it over and done with now.

Apshai
30-11-12, 18:55
TBH, the incentive should be that we have a stable server and a working patch, i understand the frustration at spending a few hours leveling and messing around only to loose those hours due to a roll back, but a few hours now for long term stability should be more than worth it, dont forget that if nothing is reported then it cant be sorted, so we will be having these problems for a while, best get it over and done with now.

yup, thats why its important we get loads of players on the server today. YES WE CAN :D

btw pepsi sux ... coca cola classic ftw :D

kane
30-11-12, 21:06
See in my case its a bit hard for me to test and I still been on everyday even though I'm starting from 100% scratch. Where others can test around pvp and screw about I have a lot of hard grinding to do and I just don't have the will to actually do that at this point.

Mokoi
30-11-12, 23:04
This will allow us to better understand some of the issues we ran into as well as look into a couple of low tier bug fixes and improvements.
This makes for an anticipated return to "normal operations" on Saturday Dec 1st - no exact ETA can be given at this point.

kane
30-11-12, 23:10

Hell-demon
30-11-12, 23:16

Nice!

You....may have me if you like....

Netphreak
30-11-12, 23:21
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully the remaining testing goes well.

Mokoi
30-11-12, 23:22
You....may have me if you like....

If you dont mind, I'll pass that one to Alduin - after all, he's responsible for most of the hardcore stuff at the moment. ;)

kane
01-12-12, 00:19
The testing in Plaza 2 seem to have gone pretty smooth. I did dc early before and a few of us came onto IRC. Was not sure if that was an all out crash or just a reboot or maybe a netsplit?

unc0nnected
01-12-12, 00:24
The testing in Plaza 2 seem to have gone pretty smooth. I did dc early before and a few of us came onto IRC. Was not sure if that was an all out crash or just a reboot or maybe a netsplit?

The A08 testing was pretty intense.. Saw my FPS get a little choppy at times but everything else ran pretty well.

Jodo
01-12-12, 01:00
The P2 and A08 testing event was pretty chaotic at times and I only crashed when I GR'd after dying. I crashed to DT and after logging back in my RPOS was reset.
Synching is the only problem I've experienced since the patch. At one point It took so long to GR to my apt from TG Canyon that I was able to attempt it several times before it happened. It charged me each attempt too. :-(

The Real Xtro
01-12-12, 01:42
Let me get this right spawning mobs in P2 is testing the server ........... yet what was broken was sync errors and stuff missing from gogo and items duping lol thats like fixing a quality watch with a hammer.

now you can all hate on me but it had to be said come on lets put some real tests to the server maybe a hide and seek chasing through all zones in NC or everyone throwing items into there inventory at one gogo running to another putting them all back in ETC...ETC and lets see if things dupe get lost or whatever else.

Praetorian
01-12-12, 01:44
I have been crashing ALOT since this patch. Like very often when i GR (includes being dead and GR) or zone. Never had this issue prior to this patch. Sure there would be the occasional FRE but they were rare. Im not sure if its just me having crash issues?

Good stuff in P2 and A_08, the sexy elf girls where a nice touch :P

kane
01-12-12, 01:53
I have been crashing ALOT since this patch. Like very often when i GR (includes being dead and GR) or zone. Never had this issue prior to this patch. Sure there would be the occasional FRE but they were rare. Im not sure if its just me having crash issues?

Good stuff in P2 and A_08, the sexy elf girls where a nice touch :P
I myself been crashing very little and I been tabbing a lot p to 100 times.

And Sexy Girls? Lies no such thing ;)

http://godcraft.com/x/d324gt2g.png

Mokoi
01-12-12, 02:13
Let me get this right spawning mobs in P2 is testing the server ........... yet what was broken was sync errors and stuff missing from gogo and items duping lol thats like fixing a quality watch with a hammer.

I can see where you are coming from, but take into account that we have spent a good part of last night addressing the sync issues and item inconsistencies. The mob spawn in P2 was not a test in itself, but only a way to encourage and channel player activity. Plaza 2 showed bugs no other zone did, so it makes perfect sense to focus some server load and QA monitoring on it. That said, wether you load a packet of ammo into your weapon or place it in your gogo is not that big of a difference when it comes to the problems we tackle.

now you can all hate on me but it had to be said come on lets put some real tests to the server maybe a hide and seek chasing through all zones in NC or everyone throwing items into there inventory at one gogo running to another putting them all back in ETC...ETC and lets see if things dupe get lost or whatever else.

The more testing the better... by all means, I encourage you to go ahead. The P2 stresstest was neccessary but will not be sufficient.

Jodo
01-12-12, 06:01
Oh yeah. This happened briefly.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/Jodo_Kast/shot0045.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/Jodo_Kast/shot0044.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/Jodo_Kast/shot0043.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/Jodo_Kast/shot0047.jpg

hatmankh
01-12-12, 06:22
That item icon thing is an old bug, I was getting it sometimes in 174 too.

Nanook
01-12-12, 07:19
It has been around very long, I think it was in NC1 already. It must be something that the devs would like to nail down because to me it sounds like a memory corruption issue.

Jodo
01-12-12, 11:26
Yeah I remember it from NC 1 also, but always worth mentioning when things are getting tested I suppose.

Hammer
01-12-12, 17:42
there was a server reboot ago for "fixing" a pvp problem.....no there was a lot of "shoot at all pvp" in p2 with gms....

what now the status? can you finish today the rollback and server fixes? or did you need some more days?

drbarnes
01-12-12, 20:24
i just crashed out of the game and cant connect back onto the server... is it me or is the rollback happening?

Yelly
01-12-12, 20:24
Yes it is .No info here yet though

MistaiX
01-12-12, 20:26
12-01-2012 19:12:20 > ADMIN> [DEV] Alduin : Server will shut down in a few minutes for the hotfix!
12-01-2012 19:14:35 > ADMIN> [DEV] Alduin : Yes this will also be the rollback to the state of wednesday just before closing the server

drbarnes
01-12-12, 20:30
awesome. i started the game wednesday night after the patch. guess ill be remaking my character!

been away from nc for 7 years.... neocrack is back

Praetorian
01-12-12, 21:17
12-01-2012 20:15:57 > OOC> [DEV] Alduin : We decided on another quick test
12-01-2012 20:16:48 > ADMIN> Zoltan : Okay guys.. thank you for all your time! We'll shutdown the servers....

drbarnes
01-12-12, 21:21
12-01-2012 20:15:57 > OOC> [DEV] Alduin : We decided on another quick test
12-01-2012 20:16:48 > ADMIN> Zoltan : Okay guys.. thank you for all your time! We'll shutdown the servers....

Praetorian, any idea on how long the servers will be down? an hour?

Weazeler
01-12-12, 21:24
Praetorian, any idea on how long the servers will be down? an hour?

I wouldn't expect a reply servers will be down for as long as needed. Hopefully this will be the last time for now...rather server stayed down for 2,3,4 hours etc instead of quickly getting it back and still having problems!

kane
01-12-12, 21:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

ledur
01-12-12, 21:53
it there's a corrupt file in your patch 175 and 176 as well as your patch.

will have one file which is called suspicious.cloud.7.f, which was deleted by my anti virus because it is a corrupted file, and I start the game enpeche

you have this problem to?

lindian
01-12-12, 22:12

will have one file which is called suspicious.cloud.7.f, which was deleted by my anti virus because it is a corrupted file, and I start the game enpeche

not happened to me

deufel
01-12-12, 22:14

No, but I had a problem with "defs\worldinfo.def" accused corrupt or missing. I checked that folder and found "pak_worldinfo.def" is there. Running the game "As Administrator" (Windows 7) solved the problem for this attempt. Next time starting without Administrator permissions it failed again.

I now disabled UAC in windows 7 xD

Cheers!

drbarnes
01-12-12, 22:45
176 notes are posted but I still cant log onto the info server. is it me or are the servers still down?

kane
01-12-12, 22:46
176 notes are posted but I still cant log onto the info server. is it me or are the servers still down?

The server is still down :)

drbarnes
01-12-12, 22:49
The server is still down :)

argh the horror

THE HOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Mokoi
01-12-12, 22:53
We're busy preparing some candy

Siuko
01-12-12, 22:55
Tried playing firefall beta..... boring.....

WHERE IS MY NEOCRACK :D

ledur
01-12-12, 22:55
This file quarantine

(Category: Quarantine
Date & Time, Risk, Activity, Status, Recommended Action, Path - filename
1/12/2012 8:58:35 p.m., High, dialogscript.dll (Suspicious.Cloud.7.F) detected by Auto-Protect, Quarantined, Resolved: No action required, c: \ program files (x86) \ neocron2 \ scripts \ dialogscript.dll

Now I run the game it there's one error exists:

file system check failed 1 file corrupt or missing

scripts \ dialogscript.dll

the implementation will now shutdown, May you use the neocronlauncher shek's files ..... option to scan and repair the broken files.

and when I redid the chek file, it gives me the quarantined suspicious

lindian
01-12-12, 22:56
We're busy preparing some candy

I bet you just didnt want to make one patch but two!!! #176 here we come

Dropout
02-12-12, 03:03
The file is safe. We insert nothing malicious into NC Code, ever.

https://www.virustotal.com/file/c1dfdbaa9044c8561778393fb1ceb3a69ce9640ceb374f2f33e721623b8eb69b/analysis/1354409860/

It is simply a false positive by whatever anti-virus you are using. It is safe to allow the file to stay.

Lies! It is filled with keyloggers and viruses!

.....Well, no its not - obviously :p

Dont worry about it Ledur, we are many that have run NC for MANY years without having any kinds of problems. And I have never seen any anti virus react to NC either.
False positives can happen, sadly.