PDA

View Full Version : [RL #2012] Donations for Neocron

Mr. Kassad
27-11-12, 20:36
With the patch around the corner I got to a point where I really need to ask if there is some kind of donation option planned in the future?

And I mean: Donation! Not something where we get items or double XP or whatever.

We know you guys invest a ton of time.
--> I don't know if we are allowed to or even should compensate that in money because it will be hard to split the money between you guys properly. (I saw money corrupt good teams and friends more than once...)

BUT: There are servers and bandwidth to be paid. I don't know who is paying for them right now but I guess you could open a bank account where all donations are collected. This money will only be spent on server costs, bandwidth and upgrades and stuff. If the donations do not suffice you can still top up by yourself but at least you have a bit less to pay.

I don't expect a quick answer to this but this is something you guys should discuss at a team meeting. I bet I am not the only one willing to throw in some cash now and then.

@Community: Are you guys willing to donate? If yes: How much? And will you donate only once or regularly/irregularly?

EDIT: Argh... I kind of botched that (admittedly bad) joke with [RL #2012]. This would have worked on BUG REPORTS but not on BRAINPORT. Sry for that ;)

Drachenpaladin
27-11-12, 20:46
The community already stated that they would donate, remember the Kickstarter survey.

The issue is the HOW, law-wise its a tricky matter. Money laundering and so on ;)

Mr. Kassad
27-11-12, 21:01
Governments... The reason why we can't have nice things!
I have money to throw at them and I am not allowed to do that? Talk about freedom...

Well I hope the team finds a way eventually.

Drachenpaladin
27-11-12, 21:24
Imho making a non-profit registered association would be the best solution in germany, tho quite tricky to accomplish.
Yay for Neocron e.V. ! ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eingetragener_Verein

That would allow legal donations, and those donations are tax deductible so you could get your VAT back. (Not sure about donations from other countries...)

Another question would be IF an association like that (a Neocron Fan Club if you want) could be granted the necessary status of charity... unless we can get the "Support-Neocron"-cause acclaimed in the "Promotion of Art and Culture"-department...

But i guess if that solution was viable, Kirk would have tried something like that.

Siuko
27-11-12, 21:34
Considering what I've seen since coming back a few days ago with all the talk about patches and the fact that they are aiming for stability and backend fixes etc I would definitely be willing to donate or even go as far as a full monthly sub.

Donation - probably around £50 or monthly sub of £5-10 - If i know that it will help move the game forward :D

Mokoi
27-11-12, 22:39
yes

when? soon™ of course.

William Antrim
28-11-12, 11:42
yes youre working on something? (I am dying to make some comment about not putting up one word answers but not sure I have the courage).

Haggis.at
23-12-12, 01:33
Hmmm... How about making an Amazon wishlist? So we could at least say "thank you" in a way from private person to private person which does not involve any Law shit... Clans can even collect from their members and make a little larger item on the list come true...
Mods - Devs: How about that? And keep the wishlist under your Dev-Names (Mokoi, Zoltan, Alduin, etc.) - not sure about Kirk though, perhaps just for "Lioon Reza" ;)

Worth a shot?

Mokoi
23-12-12, 04:23
Thats a very nice gesture, thanks ;)

I cannot speak for my fellow team members, but personally I'd rather see any and all donations made to be put towards the game itself in the most open and transparent manner possible.

I'll take away a little big news item from our upcoming monthly dev update:
We are currently in the final stage of setting up a non profit (Neocron Association) to provide everyone with the opportunity to easily chip in or get involved personally in keeping Neocron afloat and polished via that entity. Ideally, this non profit would already be up and running - but things take time and then there is RL and a myriad of issues that interfere ... so - when will we be able to accept donations? Likely in a matter of a few weeks. We'll keep you posted with news as soon as they are ready for primetime.

edit:
Regarding the questioning of Kirk there... while most of the infrastructure is being paid and run by a few members of the volunteer team, Kirk recently stepped up and refunded a very significant part of what we had put forward in terms of server costs. I just felt this should be mentioned in this context ;)

Doc Holliday
23-12-12, 07:22
- not sure about Kirk though, perhaps just for "Lioon Reza" ;)

Worth a shot?

Crahn? Maybe? Without him there is no nc being kept going for so long. He paid for the servers when the population was almost non existant. Lots of people have had a hand in preserving this wonderful game.

Cant wait for the update. As for mokoi's second post. Now im intrigued. I will of course be donating all my christmas money ;) (if i get any this year. otherwise i will go back to robbing old ladies in the january sales.)