PDA

View Full Version : Neocron not detected dedicated GPU

unc0nnected
26-11-12, 00:52
when I load up the launcher it only see's the integrated intel GPU and not the Nvidia 540M. I'm not expecting the game to tax either of the cards but was just wondering if there's anything that can be done to rectify this?

CMaster
26-11-12, 02:02
It's not Neocron that's at fault here - rather that the nVidia Optimus system in your laptop isn't recognising Neocron and switching the cards across.
I seem to recall that there is a way of manually adding certain programs (so inc Neocron launcher/client.exe) in the nVidia control panel.

Siuko
26-11-12, 09:39
The other thing to check is whether you have proper NVIDIA drivers on for that card incase it isn't recognised correctly :-)

unc0nnected
27-11-12, 02:36
It's not Neocron that's at fault here - rather that the nVidia Optimus system in your laptop isn't recognising Neocron and switching the cards across.
I seem to recall that there is a way of manually adding certain programs (so inc Neocron launcher/client.exe) in the nVidia control panel.

Well the global default behavior in the nvidia control panel is to have it use the Nvidia gpu for everything but it doesn't appear in the dropdown list of available hardware. Drivers are latest and up to date

Siuko
27-11-12, 08:15
Got the correct DirectX installed too?

unc0nnected
27-11-12, 20:14
Got the correct DirectX installed too?

I guess that depends on what you mean by 'correct' :)

Siuko
27-11-12, 21:29
Lol! You are right... I guess I was being vague there :)

What I really meant was have you got ANY directx installed? (I would have thought its something like directx 9c for most versions of windows?)

unc0nnected
28-11-12, 06:19
Lol! You are right... I guess I was being vague there :)

What I really meant was have you got ANY directx installed? (I would have thought its something like directx 9c for most versions of windows?)

Oh yea, definitely :) I always wondered why we are install DirectX9c still , where's my Directx11b.exe file?

Transformer
06-12-12, 02:35
I'd like to bump this up as I have the same issue and can't seem to troubleshoot. Same symptoms. Its an Asus Laptup with a GT540M and an Integrated Intel card. I was able to force client.exe from booting with the nvidia and I can select the right resolution and everything, but when I hit "apply" on the hardware configuration screen the client acts like its going to open, I get a black screen, then it immediately shuts itself down. Any ideas?

/edit Oh and I meant to add that, I had this same exact problem when I first installed patch 175 or whatever and I re installed Directx and it fixed it, so I tried to reinstall Directx again, but it's telling me that it's already installed and wont' re-install it. I'm going to try to uninstall re-install and see what happens.

Fenix Wylde
17-12-12, 18:35
I had the same issues last time i tried NC2 on my EEE 1215N and trying to force it to use the nvidia chip.
Am trying it now on my AMD based netbook (HP DM1 with Athlon Neo x2 and Radeon 4200) to see if it works any better.. I gave up on optimus quite early and I refuse to get any portable computer that uses it..

L0KI
17-12-12, 19:24
I have the exact same issue, 680M. Latest Direct X/Nvidia drivers.

I've tried forcing it to use the 680M but it outright refuses. Luckily the 4000HD combined with my CPU runs the game pretty perfectly, but the CPU temps are hotter than I'd like.

I hope someone figures out a fix for this!

Fenix Wylde
17-12-12, 20:33
It does work with my AMD netbook (neo x2/radeon) so it's definately the optimus bit that causes problems for nvidia laptop/netbook users

zii
20-12-12, 00:34
Lucky I read this thread as I was just about to spend 1,500 on a notebook. Every notebook worth its salt now has nVidia Optimus. (Or rather pretty much the only option is to have Optimus if you want Ivy bridge CPUs ...). This includes the MSI and ASUS ROG gaming notebooks.

Has anyone got NC working on a notebook with Optimus?

L0KI
20-12-12, 11:00
Lucky I read this thread as I was just about to spend 1,500 on a notebook. Every notebook worth its salt now has nVidia Optimus. (Or rather pretty much the only option is to have Optimus if you want Ivy bridge CPUs ...). This includes the MSI and ASUS ROG gaming notebooks.

Has anyone got NC working on a notebook with Optimus?

It runs at 60FPS constant (VSync on) on the Intel 4000HD integrated, so I'm really not concerned.

If you do have issues with this, go for a 7970M. It's so close to the 680M anyway; believe me, I had the 7970M in my last laptop. Just don't bother going for anything lower than a 7970M or 680M if you're spending that kind of money!

zii
20-12-12, 12:42
It runs at 60FPS constant (VSync on) on the Intel 4000HD integrated, so I'm really not concerned.
If you do have issues with this, go for a 7970M. It's so close to the 680M anyway; believe me, I had the 7970M in my last laptop. Just don't bother going for anything lower than a 7970M or 680M if you're spending that kind of money!

Hi Loki,

Glad to know that the Intel 400 only gives 60 FPS, which means the Asus UX31a is out of the question as it has the same GFX card. I am still interested in the Asus UX32VD ( has the nvidia 620M). The PC has to achieve consistently 90 FPS in Neocron and some good FPS in Xonotic.

Actually the notebook requirement is small light thin and *quiet*. Items like the Clevo type notebooks do not cut it (Including Giagbyte) and MSI is ugly. Battery life should be reasonable and we have to have no wires hanging around. Otherwise small uncontrollable hands will pull notebook from table into floor resulting in crying baby and broken computer.

This restricts me to less than 15" and some well made yet expensive brands. Pretty much into the so called ultrabook TM arena.

I was going to buy a U500VZ until I released the disc had propitiatory SATA connectors and the max disc size is 256Gb.

I looked at the Sony S15. Felt the far too flexible screen and build quality questions came to mind.

This leaves me with the Asus G46VW, which is very quiet, has a quad core i7, 16Gb RAM, user replaceable disc, and an nVidia GTX660. ( I won't play the likes of Metro 2033 etc so the 660 is fine). The only problem is that it was only released in the US and not in Europe... sux.

I do not know of small and light notebooks that have he ATI cards in it other than the Samsung Series 7 ( AMD Radeon HD 6490M ) yet this comes only with an i5 2430M. I prefer i7 to be future proof for at least 4 years.

I think it strange that NC won't use the nVidia card. Some configuration has to change this behaviour.
Windows problem? Optimus problem? Neocron client problem?
Anything in the system messeages ( or Windows equiv? )

z

CMaster
20-12-12, 15:27
Glad to know that the Intel 400 only gives 60 FPS, which means the Asus UX31a is out of the question as it has the same GFX card. I am still interested in the Asus UX32VD ( has the nvidia 620M). The PC has to achieve consistently 90 FPS in Neocron and some good FPS in Xonotic.

It's giving 60 because it is VSynced (framerate capped to the refresh rate of the monitor). If vsync was disabled, it would achieve something higher (as it never dips below 60). As Neocron is CPU limited significantly more than it is GPU limited, I don't think it matters massively. (It's worth noting that disabling vsynch isn't recommended for NC. It leads to more frequent issues, and having a framerate different to your refresh rate inevitably leads to worse graphical appearance. However some people with some systems find that vsynched NC gives mouselag issues and hence disable it.) Xonotic shouldn't be an issue, as I'd expect Optimus to pick up on that.

I do not know of small and light notebooks that have he ATI cards in it other than the Samsung Series 7 ( AMD Radeon HD 6490M ) yet this comes only with an i5 2430M. I prefer i7 to be future proof for at least 4 years.

I wouldn't necessarily obsess over the i7, unless you intend to do a lot of virtualization.
The i5-2430M has comparable or better gaming performance that a bunch of i7s even, http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-2430M-Notebook-Processor.53435.0.html (measureably better than the i7 3517U (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-3517U-Notebook-Processor.74462.0.html) in the ultrabook for example) , performance differences of 10-15% in a single componenent now will appear irrelevant in 4 years time. Quad core of course will bring advantages in certain applications (less so games) now and that gap is only likely to get bigger as more applications make use of "n" cores (and the i7 3630QM (://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-3630QM-Notebook-Processor.80051.0.html) does seem to storm home in the benchmarks,

Windows problem? Optimus problem? Neocron client problem?

It's an optimus problem, probably cause by the Neocron client doing things in a very old fashioned way.
I believe it is possible to disable Optimus and have permanent nVidia or permanent Intel graphics, but at the cost of battery life or 3D performance respectively. But seeing as the HD4000 is actually an awful lot of graphics power for Neocron, I don't really see this mattering that much.

zii
20-12-12, 16:14
Glad you clarified the VSync. My current notebook jumps up and down from 3 to 90 FPS all the time. In the meantime I may well enable VSync. I'll await the release of the G46VW, which'll likely be available next year. Cheers.

Netphreak
28-02-13, 01:31
I'm currently having this issue as well. Trying to figure out how to force it to use the nvidia GPU rather than the intel HD4000. When I try to add the client.exe in the nvidia control panel program settings, it seems to think that is associated with phantasy star online 2.

L0KI
28-02-13, 03:03
I'm currently having this issue as well. Trying to figure out how to force it to use the nvidia GPU rather than the intel HD4000. When I try to add the client.exe in the nvidia control panel program settings, it seems to think that is associated with phantasy star online 2.

I've asked this question before myself. I have an NVidia Optimus setup (680M & HD4000), and although the NC client insists its using the Intel, Optimus does actually do its job and switch over to the NVidia when in game.

Run MSI Afterburner and you'll see the NVidia is being used. It is for me anyway.

Also, a note: You cannot disable Optimus. It is simply not possible.

Netphreak
28-02-13, 15:30
I've asked this question before myself. I have an NVidia Optimus setup (680M & HD4000), and although the NC client insists its using the Intel, Optimus does actually do its job and switch over to the NVidia when in game.

Run MSI Afterburner and you'll see the NVidia is being used. It is for me anyway.

Also, a note: You cannot disable Optimus. It is simply not possible.

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it was actually using the GTX660m rather than the HD4000.
One very odd thing I have noticed is that I can't show FPS and PING by pressing Alt+F , the Alt key does work in game as I am able to togle between first and third person ok as well as enabling the mini map. Will also test with an external keyboard when I get a chance.

Zoltan
28-02-13, 16:41
I'll release a small fix for workaround this until its getting fixed by a patch.

We have to test if the workaround works well or its just warming up your pc ;p

Z

Zoltan
01-03-13, 01:05
Okay I've completed the workaround.

This "hack" could work on your system this is no guarantee!

Download THIS (http://downloads.neocron-game.com/Software/NeocronOptimusFix.zip) and extract the content in your Neocron game path.

If the hack is working Neocron will not recognize your GPU but the drivers should now be able to force the GPU to work with the client.

Please give me feedback if this solution is working with your machine or not.

NOTE: THIS FIX IS FOR NVIDIA (OPTIMUS) USERS ONLY

L0KI
01-03-13, 02:36

Download THIS (http://ftp.neocron-game.com/misc/NeocronOptimusFix.zip) and extract the content in your Neocron game path.

If the hack is working Neocron will not recognize your GPU but the drivers should now be able to force the GPU to work with the client.

Wow, so I was wrong.

I installed this, ramped up all the settings in NVidia control panel to Max and NC now looks pretty damn nice. AA and all the filtering at max!

Nice work Zoltan! :)

zii
03-03-13, 12:16
Tried your patch, Zoltan.
It completed well, yet rescanning for h/w in NC launcher just deteched the Intel GPU instead of the null entries I expected to see.

P.S bought a G46vw (i7-3840, Crucial m4 masts 256gb, Seagate 500gb hybrid momentus, nvidea gtx600), andgames are great! :)

//edit. Noticed you said to extract the contents into the NC directory. I did, but it contains a .exe, which I ran. It said it had patched something ....

Hammer
04-03-13, 16:21

Download THIS (http://ftp.neocron-game.com/misc/NeocronOptimusFix.zip) and extract the content in your Neocron game path.

i started a german thread and have some issues with the hack zoltan ; http://forum.neocron-game.com/showthread.php?147705-neocron-und-notebooks

plz read there zoltan, my english is to bad ^^

Zoltan
04-03-13, 19:38
In some cases you have to start the NeocronLauncher directly from the neocron path or you'll get a black screen. :(

Don't worry about the "wrong" adapter in the gfx settings, Neocron will run with the right GPU. Ignore that.

zii
05-03-13, 20:59
...Don't worry about the "wrong" adapter in the gfx settings, Neocron will run with the right GPU. Ignore that.
Ok. How can I verify the nvidea card is in use?

unc0nnected
08-03-13, 15:08
Ok. How can I verify the nvidea card is in use?

Nvidia should have installed it's GPU activity monitor into your system tray, it's the little box with the horizontal lines on it. That should tell you.

zii
10-03-13, 01:46
Hi,

The Nvidia task bar icon does not indicate that a particular game or programme is making use of it.

There are profiles available, and there are two entries: Neocron Evolution 2, and Neocron Optimus Fix.
I've set both to force Nvidea card on, and tried toggeling with vsync on and off, but there is no change. The FPS always remains fixed on 60 FPS (or is it 62) and I continue to have mouse lag whether its set to vsync of or off. I cannot find any method to verify that NC is running on any particular card.

The only entry in the Init.Log is this:
Enumerating sound and mixer modes . . .
Selecting drivers and modes . . .
-> Display: (D3D9) Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (driver)
-> Display: 1366x768x32 (mode)

Hmmm, makes me think Nvidia is not being used.
Annoyingly the Intel 4000 has only two option for vsync: on | let the application decide.
If NC decides to use vsync then it will always be on.
Sadly, Intel decided to be fucktards so it will always run with vsync enabled:
http://communities.intel.com/thread/30865

I don't care anymore whether it uses nVidia or not. I'd prefer not to have mouse lag instead.

Cheers, z

Netphreak
11-03-13, 22:39
Does anyone else also have the issue were pressing Alt+F does not bring up the FPS and Ping? Alt+M brings up the mini map etc, I'm running NC on win8 (for now) with GTX 660m, nvidia optimus is enabled although as above it doesn't seem to detect nc.

Not sure why fps and ping won't display, bit of an odd one I think.

pottburter
21-10-13, 22:55

Download THIS (http://downloads.neocron-game.com/Software/NeocronOptimusFix.zip) and extract the content in your Neocron game path.

Sorry for bump, but link is dead.
Can I haz file please?

Thanks.

Trivaldi
21-10-13, 23:23
Try this (http://downloads.neocron-game.com/Software/NeocronOptimusFix.zip).

RogerRamjet
21-10-13, 23:59
Is it still required or did a subsequent patch fix it?

pottburter
22-10-13, 00:34
Try this (http://downloads.neocron-game.com/Software/NeocronOptimusFix.zip).

Thank you very much.

@Roger,
Apparently yes. I just installed using the community installer and had very crappy fps.