PDA

View Full Version : Chat activation

IanKett
22-11-12, 22:03
Instead of the tab menu displaying the menus and activating chat, change it to enter to activate or deactivate with the key to active being changeable depending on the player.

Could avoid those few messages such as "wwww", "aaaaa" and generally be a tidier system.

William Antrim
23-11-12, 14:52
That's just lazy people to be honest.

How would you say anything if you couldnt get the enter key to say it?

borl
23-11-12, 15:00
It doesn't help that switching view modes can send the "wwwwwwwwwwwwsdfsdfsdwhycantimove" straight to chat without pressing enter in some situations.

Also, I believe Ian means the enter key would still send the message, just a (potentially) different and customizable binding would be used to enable you to enter your message itself.

CMaster
23-11-12, 15:11
Pressing enter without the RPOS open does already open chat I think.

Making pressing it necessary after opening up the RPOS? I think you'd infuriate as many as you'd please with that change (lots of people who are used to the way it is finding their messages "missing"). Yes, we'd lose a bit of "wwwwa" and ".................................", but I can't say I've ever seen either as a big problem. In general, people don't try and move much when they visibly have the RPOS open.

Worse perhaps is the way alt + e works, with it just being a command macro - that often drops weird stuff in chat.

borl
23-11-12, 15:21
It basically boils down to the fact that having one button that enables chat is simpler, more intuitive, and just plain better interface design than having two (edit: and then some.. all the F keys etc). At the moment, enter and tab are both effectively chat buttons.

I think too many people are used to the way it's been in NC to make any change like this though. I know it'd take some getting used to for me.

IanKett
23-11-12, 17:36
It basically boils down to the fact that having one button that enables chat is simpler, more intuitive, and just plain better interface design than having two (edit: and then some.. all the F keys etc). At the moment, enter and tab are both effectively chat buttons.

I think too many people are used to the way it's been in NC to make any change like this though. I know it'd take some getting used to for me.

Trying ideas to bring Neocron into the future not left back in 2003. Even looting suffers from that issue and it's not about lazy it's about having an interface that isn't clumbsy and one that belongs in this decade instead of one that people protect because they hate to see improvements to a game they loved since last decade

Drachenpaladin
23-11-12, 17:55
Trying ideas to bring Neocron into the future not left back in 2003. Even looting suffers from that issue and it's not about lazy it's about having an interface that isn't clumbsy and one that belongs in this decade instead of one that people protect because they hate to see improvements to a game they loved since last decade

I don't think i get your issue here...

You want the chat to be activated without RPOS by pressing Enter?... It is already given... :wtf:

If i'm wrong enlighten me, the OP is a bit confusing for me.

IanKett
23-11-12, 18:11

You want the chat to be activated without RPOS by pressing Enter?... It is already given... :wtf:

Sorry for your confusion, I'll try and explain it more clearly.

Because the menu access and chat activation is the same key, looting puts you into chat.

Basically to seperate the chat with the menu's.

CMaster
23-11-12, 18:11

No, he wants chat to only be activated by pressing enter (including in RPOS mode).

Which would be fine as a design choice, but I suspect it will cause more irritation that pleasure if it is changed to now.

borl
23-11-12, 18:24
No, he wants chat to only be activated by pressing enter (including in RPOS mode).

Which would be fine as a design choice, but I suspect it will cause more irritation that pleasure if it is changed to now.

This is what I was trying to say - I'd be all for suggesting and trying out some interface fixes and improvements, and this sort of thing could be enabled individually via the .ini files / console... Similar to the move with rpos (set ctrl_hudallowmove 1/0) toggle.

Drachenpaladin
23-11-12, 18:56
Because the menu access and chat activation is the same key, looting puts you into chat.

Basically to seperate the chat with the menu's.

Well, the easiest fix without changing much would be to disable the chat when a looting window is called up, that should suffice
Generally disabling chat on pressing Tab would be too invasive for this community at this point imho :D Too many ppl too used to it, including me. When entering Chat by Enter i cant use the Up and Down-Arrows to cycle through the messages i have sent. So i would have to press Tab AND select the Chat... UNBEARABLE! :p

And afaik RPOS-Movement is supposed to be defunct for some exploiting reasons or so...

borl
23-11-12, 19:17
And afaik RPOS-Movement is supposed to be defunct for some exploiting reasons or so...

Well, that's irrelevant really. I have no idea if that command itself works whether enabled in the console or in the .ini... it was just an example of how optional ui changes should be introduced without annoying everybody unnecessarily.

Drachenpaladin
23-11-12, 19:28
Well, that's irrelevant really. I have no idea if that command itself works whether enabled in the console or in the .ini... it was just an example of how optional ui changes should be introduced without annoying everybody unnecessarily.

Well i guessed that, with this command in mind, ppl try to walk away with RPOS up after the looting and thus create those funny wwwwwwwwwwwaawwawdadadawa-messages ;)

Other then that i don't have this issue much...
When looting I either just hit Loot All and the RPOS closes, thus no chat salad OR i pick what i need and close RPOS with a hit on Tab - a routinized procedure, no salad either...

Izeo
24-11-12, 05:52
Agree with OP and I also played NC1 for a long time.

99% of the time when I use TAB I'm not trying to chat, I'm trying to do something in my inventory or processor, not type. He is right that it is bad that chat gets focus when you loot something or look in a crate. I'm VERY accustomed to it by now, and I'm very used to deleting the "automatic" messages that get entered in chat ("wsaa") due to trying to do things too quickly, but I'd still support that this is fixed, by OPs idea.

I would even go a step further and propose that closing RPOS shouldn't close chat (if you intentionally entered chat by the Enter key).

Because, I'll give you an example of why:
You poke someone. They trade you (activates RPOS, and focuses chat). They enter a tip. You press accept. Oh hey, chat is activated already for me since the RPOS is open, that's convenient! I'll just type "thank y--" *RPOS closes because other guy closed trade, which consequently closes chat as well*

He's right, it's clunky, we're just all used to it. I'd like if it was changed.