PDA

View Full Version : Remove "Quickjob: Kill Monster" missions ..

Izeo
21-11-12, 01:11
Remove Quickjob: Kill Monster missions...
and replace them with a new mission type instead (which I'll describe after this next block of text) ..

-----

Also, remove the faction-specific "Kill missions". The names of these missions vary and are usually like "Pest Control", "Vermin Extermination", "Urgent Population Control", "Regulators Wanted", etc. In THESE missions, you don't yet know what kind of monster you will be asked to kill, and must first talk to an NPC in your HQ. The NPC will tell you you need to kill, I believe 20 of a random enemy. Sometimes they are as obscure as "Big Lizard". After completing THESE much harder missions, you actually get the same reward for doing "Quickjob: Kill 5 things" missions..!!

-----

Instead, add these missions instead: (names can be whatever)
"Kill group: Pest Extermination"
"Kill group: Vermin Control"
"Kill group: Mutant Cleansing"
"Kill group: Robot Disabler"

Let's say I take the "Robot" one. The mission requires that I score a certain amount of "kill points" on ANY ENEMY that is classed as a robot, based on the difficulty level that I chose (veryeasy/easy/normal/hard/veryhard). That is -- ANY ENEMY that drops things like electric motor, processor, large hydraulic parts, counts as a robot and will award me kill points. The amount of "kill points" is determined by the rank of the mob. So, a Mechshell gives 1 point or something, and a Spiderbot gives 6 points or something, and a HoverBot gives 22 points or something -- the actual numbers would need to be balanced.

Very easy Robot Disabler, for example, would only require that I get a small number of kill points in order to complete the mission, where as Very hard would require many more points, obviously.

-----

My reasons for wanting to replace the current missions with the new ones:

1.) The faction specific kill missions are just too hard, and there is no reason to do them, because the Quickjobs give you the same XP and reward.

2.) If there is a group of mutants indeed infesting an area, why does the mission-giver only care about the Mutant Corporals but not the Mutant Soldiers? Why does the mission-giver only care about the Small Spiders but not the Spiders, etc? If we are to believe that there is indeed an infestation that needs to be cleaned out, shouldn't all related enemies also count?

3.) Many missions are nearly impossible: i.e. "Quickjob: Kill MUTATED RABID DOG". It's unlikely to find 5 of those, let alone 20 of them for the faction-specific missions.

4.) It would make missions slightly more fun, because you are allowed to kill different types of enemies in your mission. For example, let's say you stick to tradition and always pick the "Mutant" mission, intending to kill Aggressor Captains. You go down in the cellar, and in the first area where a Captain usually is, there are only three Mutant Acolytes. Well, you could kill them too, and still receive points toward your mission -- they are mutants, after all! Of course, them being lower rank, they would not rack up as many points as a Captain, but it would still add some variety to these missions in this manner.

5.) Similarly, this idea would open up possibilities for hunting more types of enemies. I would never pick "Quickjob: RABID DOG" for example, but if I am near a place that has a lot Rats, Sewer Rats, Giant Sewer Rats, Diseased Rats, Rabid Dog, Mutated Rabid Dog, Fierce Dog, etc, those are all the same "group" of enemies (vermin animals), and therefore, I could pick the "Vermin Control" and get points for all of them, rather than one specific enemy type.

6.) This idea would de-clutter the "Downloaded Missions" screen, as there would be less 'useless' missions, and less kill-centered missions overall.

Doc Holliday
21-11-12, 05:55
yeah. this is good. this works.

now lets see if torg comes in and disagrees with this one because it makes things easier to do.....

Setlec
21-11-12, 09:38
@Doc: lmfao! :lol:

William Antrim
21-11-12, 10:44
I fucking love this idea. Seriously. It would make being a noob tonnes more fun. Perhaps the NPC could suggest places where these mobs might be found too?

Ascension
21-11-12, 11:44
Excellent Idea, I agree with everything you say regarding missions.

Also modify the citycom to reflect something like this, 4 missions a search is stupid.

http://i.imgur.com/HXC8d.png

Izeo
21-11-12, 11:57
I fucking love this idea. Seriously. It would make being a noob tonnes more fun. Perhaps the NPC could suggest places where these mobs might be found too?
That would be a good idea if the mission text via the CityCom could say that-

(In case there was confusion, I actually did not want the player to have to visit an npc prior to the mission, since usually when you do Quickjob-kill-missions, you wanna get them done fast as possible. One of my complaints about the "Regulators Wanted" etc missions is that it made you visit an hq npc first, but you got no extra reward for that big chunk of time)

I definitely like the idea of giving hints on where to look though, here's one idea for CityCom mission text, where it could explain where to search:

Mutant Cleansing:
"Locals have reported an alarming number of recent encounters with hostile mutants. Officials have verified that mutants have indeed breached the perimeter and their numbers appear to be steadily rising. It's highly unlikely that the mutants possess the intelligence to execute any kind of organized attack, but this is not a risk we can afford to take -- they must be eliminated. We're hiring any runners who know how to use a firearm to help rid us of this threat. It's known that the mutants tend to stick to areas that are out of sight. Therefore, it is likely that they would hide in sewers, tunnels, or areas that are otherwise abandoned. There have been reports in the past of large mutant camps in the wastelands, but these have not been confirmed. Exterminate enough of these abominations and your account will be credited instantaneously. ('X' kill points to complete)"

--
That's a nice hud.

I have a hunch that limiting the missions to 3 per download is actually because it is literally 'creating' missions and maybe doing a decent amount of work (choosing npcs to link to and so on). Notice how there's also a loooong delay in "Download Missions" - why isn't it instantaneous? I have a feeling it's the same "safety net" that prevents you from opening a container and then immediately opening another container - limiting bandwidth to the server (since, runners checking random boxes, and runners downloading missions are both things that any number of online players could be doing all at once).

I may be completely wrong and it may be just an arbitrary choice - "3 missions at once sounds good!"

That said, I would also like it increased, at least to 4 or 5 missions shown at once, up from 3. It does suck when you get 3 recycling missions when you want Quickjobs, or 3 Quickjobs when you want CST/RES, lol.

nabbl
21-11-12, 12:03
Excellent Idea, I agree with everything you say regarding missions.

Also modify the citycom to reflect something like this, 4 missions a search is stupid.

http://i.imgur.com/HXC8d.png

nice ... but what the hell is wrong with your armory? :P

Torg
21-11-12, 12:40
now lets see if torg comes in and disagrees with this one because it makes things easier to do.....easier? not in my view. i support izeos idea.

Ascension
21-11-12, 12:44
nice ... but what the hell is wrong with your armory? :P

I haven't logged that char since original NC 2 lol..

hatmankh
21-11-12, 18:41
Great idea, hope this makes it into neocron.

baracoder
24-11-12, 15:27
very nice idea!

Not so long ago I stared playing with a friend. It was really frustrating having to kill poisonous plants and only finding toxic and cankered plants or the faction job finding 20 diseased rats :wtf:

Izeo
24-11-12, 21:43
Exactly.

note: I actually didn't include a "Plants mission" on purpose, because they are a very uncommonly-hunted type of enemy, compared to other enemies in the game. If a plant mission was added, it would be very rarely picked, however, they could 'count' toward the "insect" mission (this would be good anyway, since the plants are usually found near insects).

phunqe
27-11-12, 09:17
Yeah, good idea indeed. As long as there is more mobs to kill in each mission, or add the ability to accept more than one mission at a time. Running around like that for the current 5 mobs would not really be rewarding (unless hte xp/cash is increased then) :)