PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing patch 159 and beyond

awkward silence
19-11-12, 08:45
I get this

ERROR: couldn't open: client.exe, possible write protected patch failed.

Additionally i tried to install patches manually but my C:\Program Files (x86)\neocron2 doesn't have a "patches" file.

Whats the obvious problem?

phunqe
19-11-12, 09:39
Windows Vista and beyond applies special access rights to the Program Files folder, making it read-only unless you are using an installshield (or whatever it is called) installer and installed through this.

The Neocron installation and patch program is written by KK themselves I believe, so it will have issues with these rights (also NC itself have some issues, like music won't play if you don't move it to another folder).
Move/install to another folder, e.g. c:\neocron

awkward silence
19-11-12, 09:54
Windows Vista and beyond applies special access rights to the Program Files folder, making it read-only unless you are using an installshield (or whatever it is called) installer and installed through this.

The Neocron installation and patch program is written by KK themselves I believe, so it will have issues with these rights (also NC itself have some issues, like music won't play if you don't move it to another folder).
Move/install to another folder, e.g. c:\neocron

If i cant find the "patches" folder, can i just create one and put in the patches?

I dont know where the patches went since it still has it installed up to 158, but the damn folder...

awkward silence
19-11-12, 10:43
sorted, oddly enough i have no idea how but the launcher eventually went all the way, third install, third location

ty phunge

phunqe
20-11-12, 10:48
Weird, the reason why you didn't find the folder was probably because the installer could not create it.

Glad you got it sorted :)

I would still move it to another folder however. Also, put it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode (right click client.exe and set it in the compatibility tab). That would give you music as well, which is awesome.

CrashPSY
26-01-13, 13:10
I get this

ERROR: couldn't open: client.exe, possible write protected patch failed.

Additionally i tried to install patches manually but my C:\Program Files (x86)\neocron2 doesn't have a "patches" file.

Whats the obvious problem?

Setting the patcher to have Admin rights worked for me!