PDA

View Full Version : Playing over 3G (Phone tethering)

Ascension
16-11-12, 18:39
I've been playing on occasion over a 3g connection via phone tethering, but I think my operator has got clever to it. All worked fine, but now they detect im tethering, I have installed pdanet (via cydia) as this cloaks tethering, all works well and I can browse fine, however when opening the launcher it wont connect to the login server and the client wont load up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

p.s I don't see why they have an issue tethering as NC is heavily client based and uses hardly any data at all!

L0KI
16-11-12, 21:54
I've been playing on occasion over a 3g connection via phone tethering, but I think my operator has got clever to it. All worked fine, but now they detect im tethering, I have installed pdanet (via cydia) as this cloaks tethering, all works well and I can browse fine, however when opening the launcher it wont connect to the login server and the client wont load up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

p.s I don't see why they have an issue tethering as NC is heavily client based and uses hardly any data at all!

Try using Koushik's ClockworkMod Tether. I've heard good things about it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.tether

I'm assuming you're on Android, and in the US (as most of Europe can tether freely). If so, which carrier?

Ascension
16-11-12, 22:00
:( I'm iOS, in the UK on Three. Annoyingly I have a truly unlimited data plan as well, but unless I'm on "the one plan" they don't permit tethering, I've been able to do it since April without issue however now it keeps stopping me.

Im using pdanet off cydia, which works for web browsing, the neolauncher works, until it tries to connect to the login server, then it just sits there!

Beckard
16-11-12, 22:10
I work for a telcom operator and I fail to see why they would have something against tethering. I can't recall having our mobile ToS contain anything about tethering either. afaik you make the operator way more profit then by regular mobile 3G use (due to constant data connection vs sporadically) so why would they want to block that ? Especially these days when you got smartphones and machine 2 machine devices that rely heavily on 3G for similar continuous data transmissions.

anyway, if you encrypt your data there is no way for them to be able to tell what type of data it is so they should not be able to block it. If they flagged you somehow so that even encrypted traffic is affected then my bet is they must be checking destination IP / port. Or is all type traffic affected when tethering?

I just don't see why they want to prevent this, requires way too much resources for packet inspection on all connections; especially on saturated 3G networks. the benefits gained from relieving the network from constant data streams do not outweigh the performance tradeoff imo.

All I can say is this practice does not exist at our company. If I were you i'd check the ToS and if it has no tethering policy fight your ISP for it. else go complain to your gov representative :p

To be fair however, I must admit I do not work at the mobile department of our company so i'd have to ask our real experts the real reason behind this policy, if any. If I get an answer that is easy enough to explain/translate (they can get quite technical) you'll be the first to know

:( I'm iOS, in the UK on Three. Annoyingly I have a truly unlimited data plan as well, but unless I'm on "the one plan" they don't permit tethering, I've been able to do it since April without issue however now it keeps stopping me.

Im using pdanet off cydia, which works for web browsing, the neolauncher works, until it tries to connect to the login server, then it just sits there!

ask the devs kindly to permit connecting the client to server on port 80/443 for instant fix :)

Ascension
16-11-12, 22:37
Thanks for the insight Beckard, the strange thing is I've ran up 16gb one month for non tethered usage, I've not even tipped 1gb this month and now it's stopped. Three try and sell you an add on for tethering, which is extremely annoying!

The apps I'm running from cydia (non official iPhone mods) can cloak the data which does work! However maybe the method that this is done causes issues with the login server.

Interesting suggestion regarding the ports.

L0KI
16-11-12, 22:44
Thanks for the insight Beckard, the strange thing is I've ran up 16gb one month for non tethered usage, I've not even tipped 1gb this month and now it's stopped. Three try and sell you an add on for tethering, which is extremely annoying!

The apps I'm running from cydia (non official iPhone mods) can cloak the data which does work! However maybe the method that this is done causes issues with the login server.

Interesting suggestion regarding the ports.

I was about to ask if you've tried other ports!

Ascension
16-11-12, 23:08
How do I try a different port, in the .ini?

zii
16-11-12, 23:28
Edit this file : C:\Program Files\neocron2\neocron.ini

Mine has this:

// Neocron - BDoY INIFILE

PREFDRIVER = "(D3D9) NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400"
PREFMODENAME = "800x600x16"
PREFWINDOWSIZE = "1024x768"
PREFSOUNDDRIVER = "Generic DirectSound Driver"
PREFSOUNDMIXER = "Generic DirectSound Mixer"

GAMMA = "1.1"
STARTUPMENU = "TRUE"
SHOWCONSOLE = "TRUE"
FASTRUN = "FALSE"
CASTSHADOWS = "FALSE"
BIGLIGHTS = "TRUE"
WEAPONVISIBLE = "TRUE"
HUDACTIVE = "FALSE"
RECORDMOVIE = "FALSE"
STARTTIME = "12"
CAMREPLAY = "FALSE"
PLAYCDTRACK = "0"
SAVEMOVIE = "FALSE"
MOVIEFPS = "15"
NETBASEIP = "85.214.39.213:7000"

LOCALPORT = "20999"

NOSPLASH = "TRUE"
NOEXTRO = "TRUE"
// ENABLELOGS = "TRUE"
// ENABLELOG = "TRUE"
ENABLELOG = "FALSE"

You could modify the entry:

LOCALPORT = "20999"
to some thing else greater than 1024.

I have an Android 'phone so these questions mayn't make sense:
Have you got telnet ( or something like BusyBox) installed on the iPhone? I ask as you could telnet or use netcat to connect to the port 85.214.39.213:7000
e.g
$ telnet 85.214.39.213 7000
or with netcat :
$ nc -z 85.214.39.213 7000

Regarding tethering. Likewise I work for a mobile telephony company in the Netherlands; I have never heard of toc prohibiting tethering. Seems counter-productive as we want you to us data so that we can charge you for it. It's a bit like sending SMSes - Costs us peanuts and we charge you loads (proportionally)! :)

(Says I who runs an http server on his Android 'phone on port 80 on 3g :) )

IanKett
17-11-12, 14:41

Three's plan is not unlimited, it's 1GB per month and the network is a scam artist, pure and raw scamming.
Sorry I couldn't be helpful I just wanted to save you the hassle of their fake unlimited plan.

Ascension
17-11-12, 15:06
Nah, I'm on an all you can eat tariff, and I've pushed 16gb one month with no additional charges. I think if you tip 80gb or 120gb then they'll be questioning, but no issues with 16gb and no additional charges.

CMaster
17-11-12, 18:10
Sounds like some kind of restriction on UDP packets could be the issue here. If that's the fault of Three or the cloaking apps I couldn't say.

L0KI
18-11-12, 22:51
Three's plan is not unlimited, it's 1GB per month and the network is a scam artist, pure and raw scamming.
Sorry I couldn't be helpful I just wanted to save you the hassle of their fake unlimited plan.

>20gb two months in a row. Nothing dodgy about Three at all, other than their customer service.