PDA

View Full Version : How I think newbie MC5 can be improved

Izeo
10-11-12, 13:48
Newbie MC5. A new player's first in-game look into the world of Neocron.

A lot of people hate MC5, and immediately leave through the GeneRep. If you're not a new player, it's certainly a better choice to immediately leave, too. I do this too, but I really like MC5. Every once in a while, I'll stick around for a while on a new character, doing missions for implant parts and the prototype chips. I'm sure you remember the first time you set foot out the door, and heard the wasteland wind for the very first time. MC5 is a nice introduction to the desolate, yet adventurous atmosphere of the game.

(by the way, right-click -> view image, if an image is shrunk too small)
http://imageshack.us/a/img39/7885/mc5first.png

Here are my thoughts on improving newbie MC5:

1.) Restore original map size

In Neocron 2, the playable area of MC5 was decreased by blocking off areas with walls. This may be because some players were getting lost.

a.) The most obvious problem is that some content was eliminated. Even if the walled-off content is "just" a few valleys with some scorpions, bushes, and overturned barrels, it's still content which was meant to be seen by players.
b.) There are still some enemy spawns in the inaccessible areas. This means, that over time as players kill monsters, they will naturally accumulate in the out-of-bounds areas, and become scarce in the "proper" areas. This would probably need to be fixed by a zone reset, or by kind volunteers who clip through the walls just to clean up.
c.) Lastly, you can actually see the out-of-bounds clusters of enemies through the fences. This COULD entice a new player to attempt to get into those areas. They will probably succeed, because most of those new walls can be easily clipped. This is bad, because new players would then immediately learn about the clipping problems. The player might also get stuck on the other side!

I say, remove the new walls, and replace anything else that was removed such as other enemy spawns, decorations, and that GoGuardian that used to be in the north valley (check map below, on the right, white dot). This will restore MC5 to its original, large size.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2981/oldmapnewmap.png
(Red lines = NEW walls)
(Blue lines = OLD walls (they're all still there, too!))
(Cyan "H" = Home building)
(Red "G" = GeneReplicator)
(White dot = GoGuardian
(Yellow "E" = Energy Core Dungeon)
(The colorful "diamond" icons are locations of new things, which I'll explain later)

However, now that MC5 is large again, it's confusing again, and new players might get frustrated with the empty dead ends, or they might get lost. One thing we can do to fix this, is add more of the yellow guide signs which point back toward the main building, to ensure players can't get lost.

http://imageshack.us/a/img255/931/mc5sign.png

The next thing, is to add some more interactive content, such as NPCs, who would also teach new players about Neocron, and/or give them things to do.

2.) Lorcan: Fetch quest & RP/storytelling

In the northeast corner of MC5 (check map), there is a large, empty dead end. A small hut (copied from the swamp maps) could be placed here with an NPC inside. He's another victim of MC5, but his procedure made him paranoid and out for revenge. He could look like an NC1 monk in ratty clothes.

He would be a mini-quest NPC. Find three "X" and he'll pay you. Since the player has to run pretty far to get to his location, the reward should be higher than 550nc, which is what the implant part guy pays. Also, he could ask for chemicals instead.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/898/mc5lorcan.png

Lorcan: WHO ARE YOU? GET OUT!!
--> Whoa, relax! I was just looking around. I just woke up in MC5. Do you live here? #option1
--> Hey! It's me, remember? I have what you asked for. #option2
#option1

Lorcan: They won't stop, will they? They said... they'll destroy my home. I'll kill them. I'll... Did you know they got in your skull... They put a machine... inside your brain!!
--> Look, I'm really sorry to have bothered you. I'll be going.
Lorcan: No no no. I'm sorry. Can you help me? I'm terribly sick. I need chemicals.
--> Chemicals?
Lorcan: Blue and yellow tubes. I need them... to make medicine. Do you have any? I need at least three of three specific types.
--> Are you a... a doctor?
Lorcan: Please get them for me. You'll be making a difference. Get me three Solantium, three Deutrithium, or three Tiberal. I'll reward you.
--> I'll see what I can find.
Lorcan: For the greater good... (click)#option2

(if you have the chemicals)
Lorcan: It's you again! Hello! Let me see... Three <chemical_name>! Good work! I'll give you 325 per unit; that's 975 credits. OK?
--> Sure! So, these are for... medicine, you said?
Lorcan: Almost complete... I'll stop them... Everything will be better, you have my word... (click)

(if you don't have the chemicals)
Lorcan: It's you! Let's see the chemicals... No no no no. You don't have enough. Get me at least three Solantium, three Deutrithium, or three Tiberal. (click)

3.) Ezra Reid: Fetch quest, recycling & vehicle info

In the far bottom left of the map, there (currently inaccessible) is a thin pathway through the canyons, which leads to a dead end with two trees. So, I had this idea, which teaches new players about how vehicles can recall automatically if they get stuck or lost (common newbie question), and also serves as another mini-quest NPC. After explaining the basics of recycling, he would ask the player for three Limbs, three Entrails, or three Chitin Scraps, and reward them if they have it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/6927/mc5ezra.png

Ezra Reid: Sup.
--> Sooo... car trouble, huh? #option1
--> Hey. I think I have what you wanted. #option2
#option1

Ezra Reid: Cool, a comedian. I'm saved.
--> Haha... ...sorry. What happened?
Ezra Reid: I flew over that hill too fast and got stuck between these trees. Damn thing won't budge.
--> Maybe the both of us can get it free?
Ezra Reid: Nah. The controls are shot anyway. Just waiting for it to recall.
--> Recall?
Ezra Reid: ...Where are we anyway? Feels so familiar. Yeah, recall. Don't own a ride? Remember this, then. If you lose a vehicle somewhere in the wasteland or it gets stuck, it will eventually recall to the vehicle depot. It can take some time, though.
--> So, why are you waiting here by it if it would automatically recall anyway?
Ezra Reid: To make sure no jackasses blow it up. I've removed my Law Enforcer, and that means someone else could technically destroy my vehicle.
--> Oh. Weak.
Ezra Reid: Yeah, but you don't have to worry about that if you drive carefully, and always remember to DISMISS your vehicle when you park at a depot. Or you could just keep your Law Enforcer in.
--> Right.
Ezra Reid: Actually, you can do something for me. I'm almost out of ammo, and I'm a recycler. I use shit I find from monsters to replicate more ammo. If you could find me three Limbs, three Entrails, or three Chitin Scraps, it'd help a lot.
--> Limbs... Entrails? Gross.
Ezra Reid: Yeah well, we're in a wasteland. I'd guess that there isn't an Archer & Wesson on the other side of that cliff. The recycler can break down crap from monsters and rematerialize it into something useful, like ammo or medkits.
--> Wow, that sounds useful.
Ezra Reid: Very. Come back if you find any of that stuff. Remember: three Limbs, three Entrails, or three Chitin Scraps. (click)#option2

(if you have the parts)
Ezra Reid: Hey! Three <junk_name>? Nice, this helps me a lot. One sec... ... Here, take 1,000nc and two Stamina Boosters. I recycled those boosters for you just now, out of leftover materials.
--> Thanks! Good luck to you.
Ezra Reid: You too, pal. (click)

(if you don't have the parts)
Ezra Reid: Hey! What do you have for me? Actually, you don't have enough. Find at least three Limbs, three Entrails, or three Chitin Scraps. Try scorpions and crabs. Easy kills. (click)

4.) Delphine: Guide & GoGuardian info

There is a far west canyon (an inaccessible area) which is a dead end (check map). A new GoGuardian was added in the west (accessible area) of MC5 (check map). Move this GoGuardian into the previously mentioned dead end canyon. This is so the new GoGuardian isn't in the middle of a field if the new walls are removed. Also, I had another idea for an NPC here.

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/5457/mc5delphine.png

Delphine: Hi.
--> Hello.
Delphine: You lost?
--> Um... maybe a little.
Delphine: Thought so. Just follow those yellow signs to get back to the main building.
--> Oh. Right.
Delphine: GoGuardians... Aren't they amazing?
--> Huh?
Delphine: Yeah, GoGuardians. The thing behind me. Do you know how they work?
--> Not really, no. I guess I'm new. #option1
--> Yeah, I've been using them quite often. #option2
#option1

Delphine: It's your own personal universal storage. You can store and retrieve your items at any GoGuardian you find.
--> Hmm, cool.
Delphine: One smart thing to do is to keep a big stack of the ammo that you use in your GoGuardian. So, if you happen to run out, you can pull some from the nearest GoGuardian, instead of having to look for a store.
--> Ahh... smart.
Delphine: Although... something I've been doing is hunting monsters, and storing the loot in the GoGuardian. This way, I'm not lugging around tons of stuff and tiring myself out.
--> Ohh, nice. I think I'll do the same. Thanks for the tip.
Delphine: No prob! (click)#option2

Delphine: Cool, same here. Damn, I hope I don't run out of room. Later. (click)

5.) Wesley: Fetch quest, CST/RES & recipe info

There is another dead end canyon in the southeast corner of the map, where the nomads are. It's closed off currently, like the other areas. This guy would quickly mention the basics of the CST & RES process, and also teach you a bit about unique recycling recipes.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3836/mc5wesley.png

Wesley: Hi.
--> Uh, what's up? #option1
--> I found some scrap wood for you. #option2
--> Here's some metal plates for you. #option3
#option1

Wesley: Trying to recycle a new rifle, but I'm lacking some materials.
--> "Recycle a new rifle"? I think you need a construction tool, not a recycle tool.
Wesley: It's true; you can craft a weapon by first having a researcher make a blueprint, and then having a constructor put it together. But, you can make some things by combining stuff in a recycler.
--> Well I'll be damned.
Wesley: For instance, you can make a Lazar Rifle by combining 5x wood and 1x metalpipe, and you can make a Metal-plated Vest I with 2x metalplate and 4x metalpipe.
--> That's too cool. So... in this case, the quality of the resulting item depends on your REC skill, right?
Wesley: Ahh, you're sharp! Yes, that's correct. Hey... if you help me find some materials, I'll make one of those things for you for free.
--> Sure. What materials do you need?
Wesley: Well, I already have a TON of metalpipes, but I don't have any more wood or metalplates. If you find me 10 wood I'll make you a Lazar Rifle, and if you find me 4 metalplates I'll make you a Metal-plated Vest I.
--> I'll see what I can find.
Wesley: Cool, thanks. (click)#option2

Wesley: So you did! One moment please... ...almost.. there. There you go, one Artifact Lazar Rifle... and take this First Aid, too. I'm sure there are more recycling recipes, too.
--> Thank you!
Wesley: Happy hunting. (click)#option3

Wesley: Ah yes... the metalplates. One sec... ... Here you are, one Artifact Metal-plated Vest I... and take this First Aid, too. There are other recycling recipes, I'm sure.
--> Thanks a lot!
Wesley: Cheers. (click)

(cont.)

Izeo
10-11-12, 13:49
6.) Bright n' Clean: Fetch quest

The Bright n' Clean guy asks you to find vehicle parts (or maybe vehicle componentparts, I forget). In either case, those don't ever spawn in crates or drop from low level enemies, so, this quest is impossible to finish. Let's just make that NPC ask for "weapon parts" instead. Simple solution. : )

Since those guys are supposed to be anti-city, maybe there could be a "suspicious" element to the conversation as well. Ex: "Wait a minute, if you guys are just the cleaning crew, what are you doing with weapon parts?" "That's none of your business, you wanna get paid or not?" etc.

7.) Existing shops: Simplify shop inventory

The shops in newbie MC5 sell way too much stuff. It's completely overwhelming, especially for a new player. About 90% of the stuff isn't usable in MC5 anyway, due to price and/or level restrictions. There are also other confusing things, such as, the guy behind the counter sells a pinfire nailgun, but doesn't sell the nine inch nails ammo type.

New inventory for the guy behind the counter, in what I think is a pretty logical order:

First Aid
Stamina Booster
- - Nine inch nails
- - 9mm clip
Unlabeled Pinfire Nailgun (TL4)
A&W Colt 'Budget' (TL9)
- - 7.62mm rifle rounds
- - Shotgun riot shells
Standard Street Model Rifle (TL5)
Pumpgun (TL9)
- - Standard grenades
Street Model Grenade Launcher (TL3)
Self-constructed Trash Grenade (TL5)

(doesn't need to sell Stiletto/Special Alloy Knife/etc, because they're bugged and do 1 dmg, while your punch does 4 dmg and fires faster)

Same goes for the nomads, except the nomads are FAR worse. In newbie MC5, the player probably doesn't need to know about drugs, or Survival Kits, or "Ionic Shotgun Converter: Toxic Shells"! In fact, the player doesn't even need any weapon mods at all, nor should the player know about a TL71 High Density Krokydolith Suit! : )

1.) First nomad can sell Light Kevlar set (~TL12), Crahn Shelter set (~TL8), and Stamina Booster 1. Only 13 items total.
2.) Second nomad can sell low TL psi spells, a Novice Crahn Glove, and Psi Booster 1. Only about 12 items total.
3.) Third nomad can sell basic ammo, Medical Kit, and all the lowest-level cryton tools. About 25 items total.
4.) Fourth nomad can sell nothing and acts like a Yo's junk buyer, which is already fine.

Those are my ideas, thanks for reading all this.

Torg
10-11-12, 15:32
lovely ideas. i think we would have to explain to new players what the MC5 is, and why someone might want to spend some time here instead of "powerlevelling" in the city sewers. great work anyway, izeo.

Izeo
10-11-12, 16:26
Thanks. The only real reason to stay in MC5 is if you're new and you want to practice/learn how to play, but it's also a new players first impression on the overall game.

uhh... by the way... I think imageShack was just hacked. 90% of my images on my account just disappeared and there are other people saying the same thing. SO.. the first post now has missing images and some descriptions like "the southeast corner (check the map)" don't exactly make sense at the moment. As soon as imageShack is fixed I'll post new image links if they all were truly deleted. ughh.

Jameson Clarke
10-11-12, 16:50
People will use the content if the rewards are nice enough. I know that sounds terrible, but it is the truth. I LOVE your ideas, but I'm afraid to most people it will just be stuff to skip.

Great idea though.

Mr. Kassad
11-11-12, 04:08
Those ideas are awesome!

Actually I will make a new char and check out MC5 more thoroughly myself. I have a cloudy recollection of myself running around newbie MC5 the first time. I fought in the dungeon together with another noob and it was great fun testing out all the game mechanics (that I found out about in this area). In the end I used the GR by accident because I had no clue what it does and was sad that I could not return.

Forget My Name
11-11-12, 04:44
Beautiful!!!!

I approve!!!!!!

Drachenpaladin
11-11-12, 05:25
Yea, actually pretty nice ideas. Could serve as an extended tutorial that smooths out the transition between the instanced tut and the free game.

Btw: I think it would be a cool gimmick if could find those NPCs still in the high level MC5, but just dead... cruel world and so on ;)

Izeo
11-11-12, 07:57
I LOVE your ideas, but I'm afraid to most people it will just be stuff to skip.
Removing walls that you can clip through (thus be confused by), adding some signs to prevent people from getting lost, adding some small fun missions which also educate the player, and removing a lot of overwhelming items from the shops, are all only things genuinely new players could benefit from anyway. You're right the majority of the players who already know the game, won't really be affected by this idea, and they will move past it, of course! : D

Btw: I think it would be a cool gimmick if could find those NPCs still in the high level MC5, but just dead... cruel world and so on ;)
Haha, that's a smart idea. I didn't think anyone else would actually think about that. I kind of had it in mind too, about each NPC and their "home", and why it would be believable that they aren't in the high level MC5:
- Lorcan: In his conversation he mentions "they said they'll destroy my home.." .. so, he was right - he probably tried to attack MC5 with the bomb he created with chemicals from the player, did not succeed, was killed, and his home was cleared out. Poor guy. :(
- Ezra: He waited with his vehicle "until it recalled," ;) and then he simply left, too.
- Delphine and Wesley were just MC5 victims who were training and learning, like the player is. They eventually GeneRepped out. : D

Haxxor
11-11-12, 16:15
Impressive work all round :D

William Antrim
11-11-12, 16:54
Can you give folks the option to leave as well. I mean can you have a guy at the door saying if you feel confident in your nc understanding feel free to leave but if you wanna spend some time here then stay. Something that would basically explain that mc5 is not all the game has to offer but is there as a side quest. Also let them know when they come back it will be totally different!

Trivaldi
11-11-12, 23:19
I really like the level of detail and the effort you've made to present your idea, everything you've said makes a lot of sense. Area MC5 is one of the areas which I'm very keen to improve, even simple things like the lack of sign post around the sign when you leave the main building. That, like many things, has haunted me for years. First impressions and the New Player Experience are very important to me.

Here's a couple of things from my perspective to add to the discussion;

First of all, the mob situation. You may notice that sometimes the place is teeming with mobs in all directions and as you correctly point out at other times, all the mobs are hiding outside of the accessible area. This is actually a bug, there's something about the zone which causes what we've decided internally to call "mob drift". The mobs don't respawn in inaccessible areas they simply slowly make their way to a point on the map players cannot reach.

That's something we obviously need to fix regardless, especially as this seems to be contained to a single zone.

Secondly I want to add to discussion about the size of the zone. Wasteland zones are actually pretty damn big when you're low level and have minimal movement speed. My concern with re-opening some of these far off locations would be travel time for newbies.

All of your quests and game information dialogue is great and a well thought out way of covering some of Neocron's mid level content, however without knowing those guys are out there, there's little reason for newbies to continue their adventure to those locations. The way I see it, making the content a little more dense in that sector wouldn't do any harm and these extra scenarios could be added to the existing map size. That way everything should be naturally discoverable while new players gather items for the main processor quest.

Oh as a final bonus note, I don't believe H 14 (high level MC5) was ever updated when Area MC5 was overhauled around the time Mr Jones was implemented. So if the explorable area wasn't to change, some additional partially destroyed fences etc could do with adding to H 14 to bring that into line.

Mr. Kassad
11-11-12, 23:39
I really hope Triv can make Izeo's ideas come into reality.

Sending new Runners to the sewers telling them to powerlevel a couple of levels is one of the worst things to do. It's dark and dull down there. I personally lost a hand full of newbie-runners because of that, even though I accompanied them the whole time, hoping they do not get bored.

Jones starter quest was a good addition that entertains noobs quite good but after that the inevitable sewer is waiting for them.

These quests are a way better first impression and will keep them from quitting the game before they saw more of Neocron.

I also would add a BIG warning in front of the GR so noobs do not accidentally GR out of the newbie zone.

Drachenpaladin
11-11-12, 23:46
Sending new Runners to the sewers telling them to powerlevel a couple of levels is one of the worst things to do. It's dark and dull down there. I personally lost a hand full of newbie-runners because of that, even though I accompanied them the whole time, hoping they do not get bored.

Well nothing will save them from that part, no matter how cuddly you design the introduction in regards of guiding them into the game.
Making term missions equally beneficial is an inevitable step and i think the voluntary devs are well aware of that...

Mr. Kassad
11-11-12, 23:53
Yes I agree with that.

I meant it helps to convince new runners that there is more than just dark holes to this game when they had a nice introduction.

Drachenpaladin
12-11-12, 00:01
I meant it helps to convince new runners that there is more than just dark holes to this game when they had a nice introduction.

If they don't like dark holes, gritty sewers, and rundown alleys they won't get too happy with NC anyway :D
Srsly, modern MMOs are too colorful imho...

Anyway i think Trivaldi is right with the fact that it gets pretty tiresome when you have to walk all the way with your low runspeed as noob. I'd place those new NPCs where the red marked walls are now but open up the zone to its old size anyway. this way players must not walk all the way but if they want to explore they still can!
The best from both POVs, is that a deal?

Izeo
12-11-12, 12:42
I mean can you have a guy at the door saying if you feel confident in your nc understanding feel free to leave but if you wanna spend some time here then stay.
Well, all the NPCs do mention the GeneRep and paying for the GeneRep. But, I just checked it now, and, to be honest, you are right - it is a little bit too vague. When the guy next to the gravity lift mentions "GeneReplicator" there is no mention of what that is really, why I'd need to pay for it, or that it's a training area.

For me, he said: "You should get going. Talk to an administration employee. He will pay the GeneReplicator cost. After you arrive, you should get in touch with the recruitment department of the faction you have been assigned to. I wish you a productive life."

Could change it (guy next to grav lift) to something like: "You're welcome to stick around and hone your skills on the critters in the area, or if you want some creds, our -MC5- employees have a couple issues you could help with. When you want to leave, use the GeneReplicator outside, to the left of the ramp. I wish you a productive life."

Something like the above would imply that it is indeed a training area. It would also imply that the GeneReplicator is used to "leave" (thus the player could infer that it's a teleporter), and that you need money to use it, all without breaking the fourth wall.

Trivaldi and Drachenpaladin

Triv, really appreciate the reply/discussion. : ) That sign bugged me too, haha!

MC5 is large, but, I never felt it was too big - for me it was just right, even as a newb

If the NPCs are added like Drachenpaladin said, where they are added but not-so-far-away (cool idea Drac), it would be cool to still make some scenes in those dead ends. Like, a little campsite with old beds, open-able crates, and a fire that's still burning... but no one's around. Creepy. One of my favorite scenes in Neocron is the abandoned houses on the beaches with the fence, and a skeleton inside... gave me chills.

Anyway, the point is: IF a player explored a remote canyon, he might be rewarded and meet an NPC who teaches you about recycling (etc). :) IF the player doesn't want to wander that far -- that's also fine!

It's cool when you could miss content. Makes it more rewarding if you do find it, I say : D