PDA

View Full Version : Neocron and Windows 8

The Ottoman
31-10-12, 16:32
Has anyone already installed Neocron on Windows 8? I got myself a new notebook today and it has Windows 8 installed on it. Before I put Neocron on the notebook I wanted to ask if any of you has done it before. Maybe there are things I should know about. Never had any problems installing it on previous versions of Windows.

nEo-1664
31-10-12, 17:24
There was this thread: http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?145657-Neocron-Windows-8&highlight=windows

But it didn't really go anywhere.

I don't know of other users running W8 and NC, but I'm sure most will be ok :)

Trivaldi
31-10-12, 17:32
I'm not 100% sure but I think we had someone in IRC running Neocron on Windows 8 the other day. If anything, if you are do run into any issues try the usual Windows 7 tricks.

If you go ahead and try this, sharing any tweaks you do need to make would be appreciated.

L0KI
31-10-12, 17:49
I actually got it working in Windows 98 compatability mode, and running as administrator.

It suffered from spells of excruciating framerate drop though, and eventually I went back to Windows 7. I never figured out the cause of the framerate drop, either. It was most definitely not GPU/GPU-driver related.

Jameson Clarke
31-10-12, 17:56
You can always change it over to Windows 7 since Windows 8 is MS trying to become more like Apple with their touch screen, "metro", and app store.

The overall structure of Windows 8 is almost identical to Windows 7 outside of the UI. There was no big Reg change like XP->Vista, so your behavior on 8 should mimic that of 7.

Dropout
31-10-12, 18:27
You can always change it over to Windows 7 since Windows 8 is MS trying to become more like Apple with their touch screen, "metro", and app store.

Not really.. They are just streamlining their products.
Windows Phones has the same look and the Tablets will also be the same.

Another addition is how well everything will "speak together". I wont bore you with the details though, but there is a lot of nice changes.

However, if you dont have a touchscreen and already have Win7, I wouldnt bother upgrading.
If you still run some outdated OS (XP/Vista), you should definately upgrade to Win8.

About NC on Win8, I havent had any kinds of problems, as I wrote in the other thread (and I have installed Win8 and NC on two different versions of Win8 so far).
Only tiny problem I've had was getting the music to play, but running NC in compatibility mode fixed that.
And I didnt even notice that problem till 2-3 days ago, as I usually have the ingame music turned off anyways :p

My NC is installed at C:\Neocron2 btw.

L0KI
31-10-12, 18:44

The overall structure of Windows 8 is almost identical to Windows 7 outside of the UI. There was no big Reg change like XP->Vista, so your behavior on 8 should mimic that of 7.

I wish I could say you were right, but I don't agree with you at all.

I work with Android phones for a living, and a good 15-20% of the Windows 7 x64 drivers I used were incompatible with Windows 8. There are most definitely differences between the two.

Whilst I am not a huge fan of the tiles, I don't think they're trying to mimic Apple. It's pretty clear to me that they're trying to separate themselves from Apple and Google.

The one thing I do agree with, is stick with 7 for now. :)

Chuck Norris
31-10-12, 18:49
to me it seems ms is trying to consolidate all device OS's.. Tablet/phone, pc OS, Console OS. is going to be tough to get it all ironed out. I admire it for the sake of progress but its just doesnt seem practical

The Ottoman
31-10-12, 18:53
I just installed it. I logged in on one my characters for a couple of minutes and everything seems to work fine. I have two Program Files and the computer automatically installed it on Program Files(x86). After installation and patching I copied Neocron to a folder outside Program Files. Runs like a train... I'll play a bit more extensively later on when junior is in bed.

L0KI
31-10-12, 19:08
I just installed it. I logged in on one my characters for a couple of minutes and everything seems to work fine. I have two Program Files and the computer automatically installed it on Program Files(x86). After installation and patching I copied Neocron to a folder outside Program Files. Runs like a train... I'll play a bit more extensively later on when junior is in bed.

In fairness, I haven't tried the full version; just the release candidate. Glad it's working for you!

flib
31-10-12, 20:08
Upgraded from Win7 to Win8 and Neocron still runs just as it did in Win7.

Sammson
01-11-12, 21:53
Same here, runs just the same...

Mr_Snow
02-11-12, 05:17
Upgraded to Windows 8 for €15. Worth it!

L0KI
02-11-12, 10:17
Okay, I upgraded last night and it's running perfectly. It seems the RC version wasn't quite finished.

Upgraded to Windows 8 for €15. Worth it!

I was hoping you'd come back :)