PDA

View Full Version : Resist Studies

Jameson Clarke
23-10-12, 17:31
Has anyone done a decent study on resists since 2.2? I've looked around the internet, but my google-fu is too weak to find a reliable source.

What I've gathered in my search:

Resist Energy and Resist Pierce are the two most desirable due to rares and their damage type. (This was before WoC weapons, so things may have changed.

Fire and Poison resist for grinding. (Firemobs, CRP Caves, Swampcaves and El Farid)

The formula for resist calculations changes after 75 points.

What I'm curious about is the TRUE VALUE in a point of any given resist. This is not a cry to do my CON build, but rather a curiosity of mine. Everyone that I've spoken to or seen talking about resists just sits on 25, 50, or 75 as a standard. I'd assume that is because the point investment increases past these points.

Is this a foolish search because of 2.2?

Xeno LARD
23-10-12, 17:34
There is now a logging feature in neocron which will record damage done + damage taken, what's resisted by armour, chips + resists I belive.

So with enough time an patience you can basically backwards engineer the algorithms.

Jameson Clarke
23-10-12, 17:46
I poked around the NC2 folder itself and I could not find anything in the "logs" folder for damage. Are you required to execute a / command in the client to start logging?

CMaster
23-10-12, 18:10
Q: You’ve told us that in addition to balancing the game, you’ve made the mathematics underlying NC2.2 much more transparent and logical. If that’s the case then I should be able to set up my character much more effectively now. Prove it!
A: NC2.2 can be configured to explain to you, in a log file, precisely what is going on under the covers. There is a flag inside the file 'Neocron.ini' that activates or deactivates dumping of your character’s status as well as damage in general. Note that this feature will impact your performance so we recommend you use it only under controlled conditions, and not in the middle of an outpost fight!
- add: ENABLELOG = "TRUE" to activate this functionality when you want to tune your character.
- add: ENABLELOG = "FALSE" to deactivate this functionality when you’re satisfied.

Other than that, yes, several studies have been done on 2.2 resists.
NSkill v2, available from the THN, calculates player resistances, I believe based off information from MightyMax (who seemed to have access to quite a few core game files).

Health study
Psi Resist
Armour, resist and HP
Armour and resists as given by NSkill, and a talkthrough of some mathematical traps involved in talking about resists (ie 50% resist is not twice as good as 25% resist)

Dribble Joy
23-10-12, 18:28
Heh, I remember doing that. Just standing in an apt for ages adding a single point to a resist, getting shot once, healing, adding a single point....

William Antrim
23-10-12, 18:46
To clarify a little of the original posters questions -

My understanding is that Energy and Piercing are the sought after resists because the primary damage type with nearly every weapon in the game (Devourer possibly excluded) falls into one of these two categories. The differences in resist behaviour in PVE and PVP however I wouldnt be able to comment on.

With regards to obsessing about points and the 75 Point level or the 100 point levels etc. I think that this is more a case of obsessing over point efficiency. For example that one point you spend to take you up to Energy 101 resist could give you 5 poison resist (if below 50 etc).

I hope this helps a little.

Jameson Clarke
23-10-12, 19:05
William, how is it a clarification if you're basically repeating what I said?

I'm attempting to make a CON setup that works for my playstyle rather than slamming in points the second I get a batch of five. The links provided by Cmaster are right along the lines of what I was looking for.

Thanks

Doc Holliday
24-10-12, 03:25
William, how is it a clarification if you're basically repeating what I said?

Clarification as to WHY these players do this in a bit more detail and is for the benefit of OTHER people reading the thread also who may perhaps not know what is meant by sitting on these point values. Besides. in your opening post you said people sit on these values. you never explained why nor did u give an indication you knew why they do this. you merely stated that people told you they do it.

Sometimes i think i should have been a lawyer not a doctor :)

William Antrim
24-10-12, 08:37
Yeah pretty much.

Xeno LARD
24-10-12, 10:30
You need to add into your Neocron.ini the line ENABLELOG = "TRUE" this will produce a damage log in your log file each time you log in and out.It will write up to 5 damage logs and then start to overwrite them as it goes.