PDA

View Full Version : Constant maintenance during U.S. prime time - compensate us?

TGUU
19-10-12, 00:56
It is always lame to come on around 6-7 p.m., and it seems like every night the servers are being brought down during U.S prime time.

Can we get some compensation for this?

Example - during 6-12 EST, xp increased by 50%.

Trivaldi
19-10-12, 01:07
The current (at the time of writing) downtime is required by our host to carry out maintenance on the physical servers and cannot be avoided. The other periods of repeated/scheduled downtime we're experiencing are something we're working to improve and reduce. This takes time however and is done to ensure a higher quality service when the servers are online.

We're aware it's not ideal for some parts of our community and for that we apologise, it is something we are striving to improve.

System
19-10-12, 01:10
As I'm in the US and just getting done work myself as well, it does suck to come home and possibly play but these are things that have to be done to keep a stable database structure. Being as the game is a UK game the time frame is best for their major community base.

Depending on what the Maintenance entails, probably some indexing and daily DB backups and then some time to make sure that there isn't anything that fails. The time frame of 10 hours is semi huge, though I'm not sure what the size of the DB is that would make it 10 hours.

The best request here would be to see if these maintenance's could be schedule at 5/6am CEST on a weekday instead of compensation. This would keep the servers up for most the time people will be playing around the entire world and the maintenance would then be mainly during beginning of work hours and end of work hours for the UK.

But this also depends if the maintenance is a automated process or a manual process. If it's manual then you have to take into consideration the staff that would have to make an adjustment in their lifestyle schedule to be up early in the morning to start the process and monitor it.

If it's a automated process then I would suggest changing to maintenance time if you have the ability to do so, now if the datacenter is not owned by whomever owns NC now, then there is a different challenge all together.

Thats my suggest though, at least this is what we do with our infrastructure at work, we do all our DB backups and indexing starting at 2am EST because our business only spans across the US and that gives the best time to do such backups/indexing with affecting hardly anyone.

** Edited **
Now seeing that it was from the Host provider then there is very little control most likely and hopefully this isn't going to be a weekly downtime.

Mokoi
19-10-12, 01:30
Dont worry - this downtime is very much a scheduled measure by our datacenter to improve overall reliability and performance, not the result of a problem.
They have some heavy lifting to do on the racks we live on, leading to a longer than usual maintenance window.
However, given their track record, it should be well prepared and all the time they need. Again: this is not one of our regular, scheduled maintenance downtimes which are usually performed in a matter of minutes, not hours.

System
19-10-12, 01:34
Aww upgrades and moving stuff! Those are fun nights!

Dont worry - this downtime is very much a scheduled measure by our datacenter to improve overall reliability and performance, not the result of a problem.
They have some heavy lifting to do on the racks we live on, leading to a longer than usual maintenance window.
However, given their track record, it should be well prepared and all the time they need. Again: this is not one of our regular, scheduled maintenance downtimes which are usually performed in a matter of minutes, not hours.

Doc Holliday
19-10-12, 03:19
Can we get some compensation for this?

Example - during 6-12 EST, xp increased by 50%.

I had to read 3x to make sure that you really just wrote that. I got some great compensation for you. The game is still alive even if its offline atm.

This downtime is smack bang in the middle of a day off for me and i was looking forward to getting some time in. I didnt come to the forum to ask for some kind of compo. I came to laugh at people who do.

dWintermut3
19-10-12, 03:23
How about this.

Since the service is unavailable they give every account 3 days free game time to compensate?

:P

Toast
19-10-12, 03:53
How about an event? That is if you can catch a breath after working nonstop on the servers :)

Crodus
19-10-12, 04:00
Gm's put on a nice leveling event earlier this week at MB. Always appreciate mad mob spawns. Spread the love and we will show up =) Thank you very much to the current staff. ;)

Toast
19-10-12, 04:17
ahhh I missed that, darn!

\\Fényx//
19-10-12, 04:22
I had to read 3x to make sure that you really just wrote that. I got some great compensation for you. The game is still alive even if its offline atm.

This downtime is smack bang in the middle of a day off for me and i was looking forward to getting some time in. I didnt come to the forum to ask for some kind of compo. I came to laugh at people who do.

I'm glad someone else said it, i typed out two responses then thought better of mocking as i know im on thin ice...

yavimaya
19-10-12, 04:28
I'm glad someone else said it, i typed out two responses then thought better of mocking as i know im on thin ice...

As far as i know, im not on thin ice so ill say it.
Most fucking stupid, selfish thing ever posted on the internet!

Faid
19-10-12, 04:33
Cut the guy some slack, he's just pissed that every single time there's downtime it's during us primetime. A few weeks back they had scheduled downtime everyday during us primetime, it gets frustrating. Obviously there shouldn't be any compensation, he's just blowing off steam. Once the crack takes a hold of you it's difficult to think straight :p

jvasquez33
19-10-12, 04:41
Maintenance work is scheduled at our datacenter on Thursday, 18/Oct/2012, between 2300 (11 PM CEST) and 0900 (9 AM CEST) on the next day.

Ok, what in dear lord baby jesus timezone is that CEST. I'm on the west coast USA and my timezone is PST and its currently Thursday the 18th, and the time is 7:41pm. For the scheduled downtime of 2300 (11 PM CEST) and 0900 (9 AM CEST would be what time for me lol.

Faid
19-10-12, 04:57
2300 cest would be 11pm German time which would be 2pm your time, so down time for you would be 2pm Thursday - 12am Friday.

jvasquez33
19-10-12, 04:59
2300 cest would be 11pm German time which would be 2pm your time, so down time for you would be 2pm Thursday - 12am Friday.

Ah ok, thank you very much.

yavimaya
19-10-12, 06:58
Cut the guy some slack, he's just pissed that every single time there's downtime it's during us primetime. A few weeks back they had scheduled downtime everyday during us primetime, it gets frustrating. Obviously there shouldn't be any compensation, he's just blowing off steam. Once the crack takes a hold of you it's difficult to think straight :p

theres just no excuse for treating volunteers that way.
It may not be australias " primetime", but it is mine.
I only get 3 hours at home a night, have to cook dinner, have pipes, etc, etc.
So the afternoons at work when i have finished actually working is my playtime, its also the downtime.
Im not the only one that cops it and doesnt whinge either, most people are decent.
Moderate people have to pull the idiots into line.

Forget My Name
19-10-12, 07:01
Moderators and Developers, I thank you ladies and gents for everything you are doing.

Down time this game as much as needed to preserve the overall integrity of the game as possible.

We support you!

Doc Holliday
19-10-12, 08:08
theres just no excuse for treating volunteers that way.
It may not be australias " primetime", but it is mine.
I only get 3 hours at home a night, have to cook dinner, have pipes, etc, etc.
So the afternoons at work when i have finished actually working is my playtime, its also the downtime.
Im not the only one that cops it and doesnt whinge either, most people are decent.
Moderate people have to pull the idiots into line.

agreed. i got up today to try and be online with some american buddies as the time zone differential allows us to play together and im not asking for compensation etc. especially not rediculous ideas which were almost comical.

Its still a volunteer run game. As yavi said there are NO excuses for making a thread like this.

Strife
19-10-12, 09:54
I demand Danae keeps us entertained until the servers are up!

Ascension
19-10-12, 10:00
This thread made me laugh out loud! Idiot.

Satan2k2
19-10-12, 10:07
As I'm in the US and just getting done work myself as well, it does suck to come home and possibly play but these are things that have to be done to keep a stable database structure. Being as the game is a UK game the time frame is best for their major community base.(...)

You know, the game is not a UK game, it's a german game :D And as far as I know, the server is standing in germany, too. So the downtime will be in the night of MET (middle european time).

Trivaldi
19-10-12, 10:10
Okay fellas, there's no need to attack the guy, the team understand the frustration downtime causes. It probably gets to us more than it does you as we're trying to provide the very best service possible. We'll be back up as soon as we can be but until then we need to request your patience again regarding this matter.

Cheers,

The Real Xtro
19-10-12, 10:28
Have to say only an american would ask for compensation for something that he ain't even paying for Jeez read Three times i had to pick myself up off the floor after reading once.

Next they will be asking for an American/Canadian Based server instead of having to rely on our lame time zone.

Now hmm any update on when the server will be back its allready 90 mins past the stated time of resuming service.

Forget My Name
19-10-12, 11:28
Have to say only an american would ask for compensation for something that he ain't even paying for Jeez read Three times i had to pick myself up off the floor after reading once.

Next they will be asking for an American/Canadian Based server instead of having to rely on our lame time zone.

A Moderator JUST finished telling you to stop attacking the original poster, so what do you do instead? Ignorantly attack an entire culture of people.

How about you try to act with at least a drop of respect while posting here, huh? I hope using a little discretion is possible for you?

The Real Xtro
19-10-12, 12:03
Lol so attacking people is wrong so go deleat your own post i atleast posted with a little tongue in cheek reaction to a ludicrous post yours is only a post for posts sake says nothing save to attack another person posting here without any cheekiness too it i advise you go and get an injection of wit before posting again.

Faid
19-10-12, 12:28

Now hmm any update on when the server will be back its allready 90 mins past the stated time of resuming service.
I could say only a Brit would make such a blatantly stupid statement, but then I would offend all British people... See what I did there?

<3 my Brits

Lol so attacking people is wrong so go deleat your own post i atleast posted with a little tongue in cheek reaction to a ludicrous post yours is only a post for posts sake says nothing save to attack another person posting here without any cheekiness too it i advise you go and get an injection of wit before posting again.
That's one hell of a run-on sentence lol

Netphreak
19-10-12, 12:33
Keep up the good work guys. Being a server admin myself I know that it's never easy keeping people happy when you need to schedule server downtime.

The Real Xtro
19-10-12, 12:53
Yes Faid it was a stupid statement it was ment to be, How else can one react to a stupid post and you would't upset any Brits with your comment that its a stupid comment. Brits are well known for having a wry sense of humour ....... my mistake was forgetting that humour like having a good taste in real ale don't travel well.

Did you see what i did there? ......ehrr ehrr ehrr!

Ascension
19-10-12, 13:16
Humour and sarcasm doesn't translate well over text, as you apply your own tone of voice! :)

The Real Xtro
19-10-12, 13:28
Humour and sarcasm doesn't translate well over text, as you apply your own tone of voice! :)

Then again the idea that everyone is out to get you is paramount in peoples minds it seems, does that make most people Xenophobic.

Well anyhow appologies for any comments that offended it was a lighthearted atempt to inject humour into a meaningless post that someone was raging at unpaid developers taking the time to make things better for all. And if any of you make the trip across the "pond" look me up and i'll buy you a "Real ale" the best thing is you only have to be 18 to drink it here!.

CMaster
19-10-12, 14:25
While it has to be said that the timing of the scheduled downtimes has been a bit rubbish for the US players (you'd think it could be done in what would be Japan primetime or something, but I guess people need to be at work for some of it); there's a point to make that there's been an awful lot of unscheduled downtime in European peak times, that often doesn't get recorded in quite the same way.

William Antrim
19-10-12, 15:20
If the server doesnt come back up soon I'm gonna sue all of your asses!!!

I will see you fuckers in court!!!

<3

hahaha

Strife
19-10-12, 15:46
William go home, you're drunk

Jameson Clarke
19-10-12, 15:54
Go lay down and let the Powerbooze wear off, man.

William Antrim
19-10-12, 16:06
It was actually an acutely sarcastic play on a blatant stereotype of the American legal system. As the OP is American I figured it would be funny to imitate the most irate American I could. However as I didn't want to alienate one single member of the forum I decided to add "all your asses" to designate the entire thread.

Sadly as rightly pointed out, I guess humour (at least that of Good ol' England) doesn't come across without the razor-sharp delivery that we witty "Brits" are renowned for.

Xeno LARD
19-10-12, 16:24
Eh what, chocs way.

William Antrim
19-10-12, 16:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjgl2baLs

Kanedax
19-10-12, 16:45
Sigh.....these threads.

Bozz-Von Mel
19-10-12, 16:59
It was actually an acutely sarcastic play on a blatant stereotype of the American legal system. As the OP is American I figured it would be funny to imitate the most irate American I could. However as I didn't want to alienate one single member of the forum I decided to add "all your asses" to designate the entire thread.

Sadly as rightly pointed out, I guess humour (at least that of Good ol' England) doesn't come across without the razor-sharp delivery that we witty "Brits" are renowned for.

[OT] Perhaps in the future you should start your sarcastic comments with some sort of indicator. {START SARCASM} "Sarcastic comment" {END SARCASM} It would help with the old language barrier, as it is sometimes difficult to translate English into English. The legal system in the US can vary by state. Some of the frivolous lawsuits which might fly in the more "liberal" states would not stand a chance in others, which begins the endless appeal process, etc.
[BACK ON TOPIC] The server downtime is a necessary evil. It is what it is. {START SARCASM} The real issue here is we do not have a robust welfare system (YET) which allows us to work less than 40 hours a week and have time to play NC. {END SARCASM}

Faid
19-10-12, 17:10
[OT] Perhaps in the future you should start your sarcastic comments with some sort of indicator. {START SARCASM} "Sarcastic comment" {END SARCASM} It would help with the old language barrier, as it is sometimes difficult to translate English into English.

You dont need to start sarcasm/end sarcasm you can simply use this :p

"only an American would say something like that... :p " Now its funny, not prejudice :lol: Anyway why hasn't this thread been closed yet?

Toast
19-10-12, 18:38
I vote for Danae entertaining us, she hasn't graced us with her presence yet today... Speaking of NC women, has anyonone heard from Zai in recent years? She was the best damn constructor for several years running.

DarkPhoenix
19-10-12, 18:51
Nuh uh! Roe was on saturn!

Oh wait, recent years :lol:

William Antrim
19-10-12, 18:53
To be honest I thought that the <3 and the hahahaha would be enough to signify humour.

Trivaldi
19-10-12, 19:04
Enough, thread closed.