PDA

View Full Version : WoC Changes - Make it fair

L0KI
06-10-12, 00:10
Titan is great. We love it.

It's already becoming 'polluted' though, with the cookie-cutter, completely over-powered WoCSPYSCUMBAG class. As it stands right now, the WoC weapons (AK and Beretta, etc) are over-powered for what they are, and here's why:

- They are pretty much the easiest weapons in the game to obtain
- They completely out-damage their lowtech rare counterparts
- They automatically come with 120/120/120/120 stats, fully constructed

Rare weapons take forever to farm and obtain, then you have a large percentage chance of it being a shit-statted 0 slot weapon.

My proposition, is that you level the playingfield by doing one of the following:

- REMOVE ALL current WoC weapons from Titan. I have no idea how easy this would be, but I mean taking them from every player.
- Remove all WoC weapon missions, and instead, have them drop as E parts along with normal rares, thus giving them a chance of being constructed with less than ARTIFACT stats; like any other rare.
- Nerf damage

- Reduce damage considerably of all WoC weapons, to make them more similar to rare weapons.

What do you (non-WoCSPYSCUMBAGs) think?

slith
06-10-12, 00:13
As a temporary solution this would be okay. Pitty it makes the R-C Spy a dissy only class.

BlueRobot
06-10-12, 00:57
I liked how it worked for the old xbow, before they introduced the new woc weapons. It wasn't all 120 and a xbow with top stats was one of the most expensive items.

Also, I think you don't have to remove the runs, but make the guys farm stuff for the runs, like parts from the warbotfactoy in the xbow run. A requirement for that, would of course be that the Regants area was as hard to do as the level of the mobs suggest.

edit: Maybe also making more use of construction/researching skill in high LvL Missions would be cool as well.

flib
06-10-12, 03:11
Ideally, I would like for them to recognize that this is a major issue and perform an emergency nerf on the weapons in patch 165, before doing any serious balancing consideration, which will probably come in patch 166 or later.

If this happens, my optimism for Titan could still be restored..

BlueRobot
06-10-12, 20:09
Ideally, I would like for them to recognize that this is a major issue and perform an emergency nerf on the weapons in patch 165, before doing any serious balancing consideration, which will probably come in patch 166 or later.

If this happens, my optimism for Titan could still be restored..

Are you talking about nerfing the runs/PvE aspect or nerfing the PvP value of the guns?

Because in my opinion the most important thing atm is to fix the major PvE Bugs and Balance the PvE/Economy of the game. PvP might not be at it's full potential atm but it's still fun. PvE/Trading on the other hand is completely broken and reduced to farming with drones or farming broken Mobs/areas.

flib
06-10-12, 21:46
Are you talking about nerfing the runs/PvE aspect or nerfing the PvP value of the guns?I'm talking about adjusting the damage/aiming/frequency/whatever values of the guns. This is a relatively simple task, compared to changing the missions or whatever.

Because in my opinion the most important thing atm is to fix the major PvE Bugs and Balance the PvE/Economy of the game.There are shitload of fixes in 165 already. I'm talking about adding this one to the patch.

PvP might not be at it's full potential atm but it's still fun. PvE/Trading on the other hand is completely broken and reduced to farming with drones or farming broken Mobs/areas.There's nothing fun about getting torn apart by a scumbag ak spy.

Kane Gregory
06-10-12, 22:36
As a temporary solution this would be okay.
Yep, temporarely woc should be deactivated. But it's real pity if the content would be removed forever.

Pitty it makes the R-C Spy a dissy only class.
Yep and this is a huge problem. Fix the dissy damage down. <-- this statement comes from a huge dissy fan (me)

BlueRobot
07-10-12, 02:37
I'm talking about adjusting the damage/aiming/frequency/whatever values of the guns. This is a relatively simple task, compared to changing the missions or whatever.

You should think that, but the history of PvP Balancing and Neocron suggests otherwise, thats why I'm against it. Removing the AK will just make any spy change to dissy, which isn't any less op.

There's nothing fun about getting torn apart by a scumbag ak spy.

Thats why everyone is playing the same op setups. Thats what i meant with "still fun". It's still fun for everyone who's playing those setups, which is almost everyone. And to be able to choose between AK and dissi ist still better than only dissi.

flib
07-10-12, 03:44
You should think that, but the history of PvP Balancing and Neocron suggests otherwise, thats why I'm against it. Removing the AK will just make any spy change to dissy, which isn't any less op.I'm not talking about balancing. I'm talking about nerfing.

Thats why everyone is playing the same op setups. Thats what i meant with "still fun". It's still fun for everyone who's playing those setups, which is almost everyone. And to be able to choose between AK and dissi ist still better than only dissi.Except the dissy is harder to get, especially with slots and good stats. It's going to be a while before "everyone" has a dissy. This isn't Terra.

BlueRobot
07-10-12, 17:05
I'm against it. People will have dissis soon enough, and then we'll just end up with one less PvPable setup.

flib
07-10-12, 17:54
One less overpowered setup that is ridiculously easy to obtain.

BlueRobot
07-10-12, 19:20
Then change the run. Nerfing it will result in the AK not being used anymore. Even if they change the run later, no one will play it then, bc the dissi will be better. And since the ak isn't better then the dissi, you will be torn apart just as much as before by dissi spies.

PvP balance in Neocron isn't as easy as just nerfing one op weapon. This will just result in the disappearance of one viable option and make pvp more boring.

flib
07-10-12, 22:48
Then change the run. Nerfing it will result in the AK not being used anymore. Even if they change the run later, no one will play it then, bc the dissi will be better. And since the ak isn't better then the dissi, you will be torn apart just as much as before by dissi spies.You realize it's not a simple matter to just "change the run", right? Whereas, I don't imagine that nerfing the AK/beretta would take much more than adjusting some values.

I'm not saying that the AK and beretta should be completely useless forever, but right now, they NEED to be nerfed, so the game can actually be fun for all classes.

PvP balance in Neocron isn't as easy as just nerfing one op weapon. This will just result in the disappearance of one viable option and make pvp more boring.Eventually, everyone will have rares, and the balancing will need to be fixed, but right now, I think there's a very good chance that we'll see a totally different balance, with all sorts of things being viable again: APU, PE, H-C PE, Melee Tank/PE. But there's one thing that stands in the way of that: the AK/Beretta.

In order to fix that, there are 2 solutions: (temporarily?) nerf them, or remove them entirely. Perhaps leave the Dome of York mission versions up, because that mission is suitably difficult, and they're slightly less overpowered.

William Antrim
08-10-12, 00:11
I say remove WOC requirement on the guns. Let us all use them.

Dropout
08-10-12, 03:01
I say remove WOC requirement on the guns. Let us all use them.

That is something I would agree on.
(and for the love of.. make them harder to obtain)

William Antrim
08-10-12, 03:05
Or lower their stat quality to 100% across the board. Hitech should be a lot more powerful than a 750 year old carbine weapon. What will be next muskets that can one shot kill ppus! :)

Dropout
08-10-12, 03:09
Or lower their stat quality to 100% across the board. Hitech should be a lot more powerful than a 750 year old carbine weapon. What will be next muskets that can one shot kill ppus! :)
Random stats like the old Xbow would be very nice IMO.

shanghao90
08-10-12, 03:42
I thinks random stats of Hitech would be very nice IMO.
:angel:

J@ck on Cr@ck
08-10-12, 04:12
Yes, random stats and slots! No more all arti and 3+ slot woc weapons. Also you should be able to do the woc runs only once per char.

Kame
08-10-12, 04:30
We dont need a nerf, we need a bump in other weapons, so they are pvp viable again. All the other rares that used to be good now do too little damage. Executioner, ROLH, slasher, redeemer, ROG, Silent hunter, all them hightech weapons need to make enough damage to compete with WOC item, thats all.

This will flood the market with new rares sought after and diversify the PVP setups.

Once that is done, you adjust APU, low and blessed lv PPU spells and the game is is pretty much viable, with all the bullshit like annites still in it.

Doc Holliday
08-10-12, 07:01

So you can spit down the barrel and shoot 3 ppu's per minute? I want to be Harper. You can be Sharpe ;)

edit. even with a limit of a one time run for a woc gun per char would be a little brutal.

Random Stats. YES. Minimum 1 slot. Definitely. Everything else is open to discussion. PS the other weapons do need a boost too.

Nerfing AK and dissie. mmmm. I say boost the first love and watch the spy version of the cs tank go to work. ;)

Kame
09-10-12, 13:33
Random Stats. YES. Minimum 1 slot. Definitely. Everything else is open to discussion. PS the other weapons do need a boost too.

Nerfing AK and dissie. mmmm. I say boost the first love and watch the spy version of the cs tank go to work. ;)

Have you tried to kill any PPU buffed class with say, a Slasher or Executionner lately ? The output damage/min so ridiulously low you can hardly kill anywthing that's PPU buffed. This is the reason why people use AK and Dissys. The pistol class is completely under-par. Same goes for most rifles, except Dissy and AK.

dWintermut3
10-10-12, 08:52
I think the reduction of WoC to something that requires serious time investment and recon is a strong step in the right direction.

Next step is reducing WoC from leaps and bounds to an incremental step up.

I would like to see WoC weapons put somewhere in the middle of the rare spectrum.

Because of the effort required and the fact they require the involvement of tradeskill characters, rares should always be superior. If not it cuts tradeskill characters totally out of the loop, as rares become only a minor stepping stone.

My IDEAL long-term solution is to give each top-end weapon source a niche in the ecology: Ion weapons, Ceres Weapons and rare weapons should each have a role.

I propose that ceres weapons be given a niche that makes them superior for PvE, make THEM the stepping stone to high-slot rares. Ion weapons should be a short-range and risky weapon with a high risk-reward ratio. And the top-end rare weapons should become the PvP goto.

I have a few suggestions to effect this: Give players' inherent "steel skin" damage reduction a greater effect against ceres weapons. This fits the lore in that the Ceres weapons are developed from the weapons of the DoY-Neocron war, and the factions have had ample time to develop countermeasures. the Monks have had time to adapt their psionic defenses, and the Genetanks they engineered have been designed to resist the Dome's weapons. PA has been built with those weapons in mind.

Rares have no reduction from players' "steelskin" DR, and remain as they are. Though some holes in the "weapon ecology" should be filled (IE a rare grenade launcher).

Ion weapons have their RoF reduced further and have a critical hit mechanism (if possible in the engine) to further enhance their "all or nothing" nature, either they nuke or they fall flat, they would be a great boon to PEs who could now have a choice of powerful alpha strikes at the cost of not toting a consistent rare-part weapon.

PEs gain potent ability-enhancing PA to allow them to reach the same weapons as the classes they emulate, but they will cap weapons less well, at the exchange of psionic self-enhancement.

All weapons have their requirements reduced BUT the effect of skills is enhanced to make capping a weapon's capabilities more powerful. This allows PEs to tote the same guns as their pure-class counterparts but they will deal less damage on an order of magnitude, compensated to the same level as other classes only by their self-buffs.

danmalone
11-10-12, 10:33
We dont need a nerf, we need a bump in other weapons, so they are pvp viable again. All the other rares that used to be good now do too little damage. Executioner, ROLH, slasher, redeemer, ROG, Silent hunter, all them hightech weapons need to make enough damage to compete with WOC item, thats all.

This will flood the market with new rares sought after and diversify the PVP setups.

Once that is done, you adjust APU, low and blessed lv PPU spells and the game is is pretty much viable, with all the bullshit like annites still in it.

I completely agree with the above. I miss the good old days weilding the first love / slasher / exe.

Ivan Eres
12-10-12, 13:14
I think the reduction of WoC to something that requires serious time investment and recon is a strong step in the right direction.

Next step is reducing WoC from leaps and bounds to an incremental step up.

I would like to see WoC weapons put somewhere in the middle of the rare spectrum.

Because of the effort required and the fact they require the involvement of tradeskill characters, rares should always be superior. If not it cuts tradeskill characters totally out of the loop, as rares become only a minor stepping stone.

My IDEAL long-term solution is to give each top-end weapon source a niche in the ecology: Ion weapons, Ceres Weapons and rare weapons should each have a role.

I propose that ceres weapons be given a niche that makes them superior for PvE, make THEM the stepping stone to high-slot rares. Ion weapons should be a short-range and risky weapon with a high risk-reward ratio. And the top-end rare weapons should become the PvP goto.

I have a few suggestions to effect this: Give players' inherent "steel skin" damage reduction a greater effect against ceres weapons. This fits the lore in that the Ceres weapons are developed from the weapons of the DoY-Neocron war, and the factions have had ample time to develop countermeasures. the Monks have had time to adapt their psionic defenses, and the Genetanks they engineered have been designed to resist the Dome's weapons. PA has been built with those weapons in mind.

Rares have no reduction from players' "steelskin" DR, and remain as they are. Though some holes in the "weapon ecology" should be filled (IE a rare grenade launcher).

Ion weapons have their RoF reduced further and have a critical hit mechanism (if possible in the engine) to further enhance their "all or nothing" nature, either they nuke or they fall flat, they would be a great boon to PEs who could now have a choice of powerful alpha strikes at the cost of not toting a consistent rare-part weapon.

PEs gain potent ability-enhancing PA to allow them to reach the same weapons as the classes they emulate, but they will cap weapons less well, at the exchange of psionic self-enhancement.

All weapons have their requirements reduced BUT the effect of skills is enhanced to make capping a weapon's capabilities more powerful. This allows PEs to tote the same guns as their pure-class counterparts but they will deal less damage on an order of magnitude, compensated to the same level as other classes only by their self-buffs.

I think this is a good summary of possible solutions for many problems there are atm for WOC and the weapon balance of ionics, rares, and ceres guns. These suggestions cover also one aspect of armor and the PE problem too.

These suggestions sound quite good to me, and they could be a very good basis for discussions.

I hope more people read this.

Thank you.

Dropout
12-10-12, 17:02
I think this is a good summary of possible solutions for many problems there are atm for WOC and the weapon balance of ionics, rares, and ceres guns. These suggestions cover also one aspect of armor and the PE problem too.

These suggestions sound quite good to me, and they could be a very good basis for discussions.

I hope more people read this.

Thank you.

I dont agree with that at all actually.
First of most of what he wrote are just way more advanced that it has to be.
Second, lets not force PEs into PAs even more than it is already..

What they need to do is to adjust the damage of the different weapons - which should be rather easy, since iirc a part of the non-finished balancing patch was to make it easyer to adjust weapons.
Ofcourse Im not saying that the balancing part will be easy, but the adjustment of certan weapons should be.

If I was the one balancing NC PVP the following weapons would be changed..
Only gonna take rifles, pistols and HC, since those are the weapon types I have used the most.
Both Melee and APU's obviously needs a lot of balancing aswell.

Non rares should obviously have the same balancing.

Warning Very long list of weapons.. :p

Rifles
Terminator: More damage (about 10-15% more)
Pain Easer: More damage (about 10% more)
Ionic Shotgun Rifle: Stay as it is
SWAT Assault Rifle: More damage (5-10% more)
Desperado: Lower dex req to 101, exept for that, stay as it is
Libra: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
IAR-47: Slightly lower damage (about 5% less)
CAR-47: Slightly lower damage (about 5-10% less)
Ronin Sniper Rifle: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Ray of God: Without a update to the netcode Theres really no point.
Thunderstorm: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Redeemer: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Healing Light: Same as RoG, however it should have its damage lowered if that was fixed (about 10% less)
Silent Hunter: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
First Love: More damage (about 15-25% more)
Disruptor: Faster freq and lower damage (10-20% faster freq, 20-30% less damage)

Pistols
Wyatt Earp: More damage (about 10-20% more)
Liberator: Faster aimspeed (20-30% faster) and uhm.. Less gay sound? lol
Ionic Shotgun Pistol: Pretty decent as it is, maybe get fast switching between them fixed
SWAT Backup Pistol: Higher damage (30-40% more)
Freeman Pistol: Same as it is
Craftmans Dream: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Dreadfire Prototype 03: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
BHG-9: Small increase in damage (about 5% more)
Judge: More as it was before 2.2 (20-25% more damage, about 10% slower freq)
Xbow: Slightly less damage (about 5-10% less damage)
Steiner FP 1.0: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Slasher: Higher freq (20-25% faster freq)
Beam of Hell: See Healing Light
Ray of Last Hope: Same as Healing Light
Executioner: More damage! (20-30% more)

Heavy Weapons
Winding Argument: As it is
Ionic Shotgun Cannon: Lower damage (10-20% less)
Equilibrium of Forces: Should probably stay as it is, but not completely sure - havent used it in a while
Devourer: Less damage (5-10% less)
Moon Striker: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Warhammer: I like as it is - very suicidal to use, but very big damage
Summer Leech: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Ravager: See Healing Light
Cursed Soul: Slightly lower damage (10-15% less)
Malediction: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Special Forces Plasma Wave: See Healing Light
Doom Beamer: I dont have much experience with this so no idea
Creed: See Healing Light - if fixed it should have its damage lowered quite a lot though
Special Raygun Cannon: I dont have any experience with this so no idea

EDIT: Wait, completely forgot that the subject is about WoC weapons.. Sorry about that, but at least I included WoC weapons in the list, so hopefully still relevant enough..

dWintermut3
13-10-12, 01:02
The reason I support a total redo is that I think they should avoid the problem they have with the Dissy where one weapon is obviously and numerically superior to any other in the class.

Unless weapons are given unique niches one will ALWAYS be the best. Changing PvP aspects and rebalancing would mean your choice of weapons will depend on what you want to do not just selecting the best one in the class and using it to the exclusion of all others.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be PA for PEs either, but I think changing weapons to be uniformly easier to use but harder to cap would finally solve the "why do they exist?" question with PEs. As it stands they get only the same weapons other people do, but not the TL115 versions that are the numerically best-in-class. It could be special PE implants, PA, even a tool like the tank nano-healer (PE drug autoinjector with combat drugs?)

The biggest part of my suggestion would be to keep ceres weapons as hard as they are to use now (requiring WoC-1, or 100mil XP overcapped) and reduce the TL of all other rares a good 20% or so.

Then make it so that at effective dex 115 with commiserate substats you reach the weapon's full potential. This way PEs get access to the full range of weapons and pure classes retain their advantage until you account for the bonuses PEs get from their special something.

William Antrim
13-10-12, 11:33
Guys I think we are on to something! :) love the last two posts.

Sechs
13-10-12, 15:55
Whatever you do;

DO IT TO EVERYONE

Can't stress this enough. Seriously.
This lame 'oh, we NOW removed x, whoever already had it will be fine though' really pisses me off.

At least make it fair.

Faid
13-10-12, 18:07
Thats a slippery slope, it's a little late to all of a sudden change everything with woc, there have been people exclusively working toward woc and a woc setup from the beginning. It would be ridiculously unfair to take all of that away now. The only way to effectively implement this would be to wipe the server completely and start again from fresh without woc. I somehow don't think all you non-woc people would go for that idea, even though you are essentially suggesting the same for the pro-woc people. :angel:

It's a difficult situation, and honestly I don't even see woc weapons as a problem, I prefer Dissy over AK any day. But I think they definitely need to boost the damage on all the pointless rares that were nerfed into the ground so long ago. Adding the woc weapons to the rare pool would be fine with me but what do you do with the one's already in game?

Hopefully the devs are smart about this and don't just jump to rash decisions like "OMG people are complaining about droning lets just remove all drones from the game". Removing woc completely would be a horrendous decision to make now. A complete wipe or a complete balance seems to be the only choices atm.

Dropout
13-10-12, 19:24
Hopefully the devs are smart about this and don't just jump to rash decisions like "OMG people are complaining about droning lets just remove all drones from the game". Removing woc completely would be a horrendous decision to make now. A complete wipe or a complete balance seems to be the only choices atm.

I doubt that they would do something like that..
So far they have not really made any stupid moves IMO.

Riddle
13-10-12, 20:20
It's all fubar IMO.

WOC should = Vanity items.... sexy looking PA or dual wield model(not a second gun, just the look) etc. etc.

WOC should not = required for pvp

you should gain no extra damage or stats from the woc grind, yes other weapon models but comparable to existing weapons I.e just a different looking skin

Dropout
13-10-12, 22:20
It's all fubar IMO.

WOC should = Vanity items.... sexy looking PA or dual wield model(not a second gun, just the look) etc. etc.

you should gain no extra damage or stats from the woc grind, yes other weapon models but comparable to existing weapons I.e just a different looking skin

I completely agree with this.

Faid
13-10-12, 23:43

It isn't
This seems to be the common misconception. The only viable woc pvp weapon really would be the AK and thats not as good as a dissy So it certainly isnt required for pvp. Ion Cannons and Cursed Souls are tank pvp weapons both of which do not require woc. You might have a case concerning pistols but pistols are all around crappy when it comes to pvp regardless of woc.

I do agree with your other points though :)

Dropout
14-10-12, 00:58
It isn't
This seems to be the common misconception. The only viable woc pvp weapon really would be the AK and thats not as good as a dissy So it certainly isnt required for pvp. Ion Cannons and Cursed Souls are tank pvp weapons both of which do not require woc. You might have a case concerning pistols but pistols are all around crappy when it comes to pvp regardless of woc.

I do agree with your other points though :)

I wouldnt call the BHG crappy O_o
So if you want to use pistols you do NEED WoC - at least for opfighting.
But yeah, pistols really Arent very good atm :(

Strife
14-10-12, 14:37
Rip Slasher spies. My favorite setup.

Dropout
14-10-12, 16:05
Rip Slasher spies. My favorite setup.

Was by far my favorite spy weapon aswell.
Leveled to cap with it, got WoC with it and PvP'd with it later on.
Didnt PvP with the same one as I leveled with ofc - the one I leveled with was about /16 condition when I got WoC :p

Dribble Joy
14-10-12, 16:22
I would be inclined to (if the mechanics allowed) create a separate skill system for WoC. Where it indicates the WoC level, similar to the main stats, would be an arrow opening up a skill window like the subskills. Each WoC level would give you a point to spend in various WoC skills. This could include weapon use and other non-critical abilities.