PDA

View Full Version : Low Level PvP

Herrad
01-10-12, 14:55
I just wanted to hear people's opinions on a recurring idea I've been having:

What if LEs fell out at 30?

Now before you run to the reply button screaming "WE'D ALL BE DECKED BY CAPPED GUYZORZ EVERYWHERE!!!", hear me out. If say, anyone who's red would be stamped with a -100 SL hit for killing anyone not in their team who's vastly below their level, with something else happening to those who kill a red CRed person. I know there are some flaws with that logic ("How do you handle group fights!?" I hear you cry), but if somehow those flaws could be circumvented then how awesome would it be? Ripping people apart with a TL 52 pulselaser rifle, epic guns having a place in PvP again, vehicles not being (quite so) useless...

I dunno, what does the community think? An idea worth looking into if our tireless volounteer team get bored fixing the endless list of bugs or something to lock in a safe, at the bottom of the ocean, on a different planet, slightly out of phase with our version of reality?

Drachenpaladin
01-10-12, 15:09
I don't think that there is incentive at such a level. Most people will feel inferior and prefer to capp their char and stuff him out with all sorts of pimp gear so they get the best chances on victory. And there is not much to gain either, but the loss on defeat is noticeable. If you want some brawls, Neofrag serves you.

And i find penalties for level difference hardly a solution. Such thresholds are always arguable, whether too high or to low or blah.

William Antrim
01-10-12, 16:09
Hate to say it but all you would get is people who suck at PvP shooting noobs. You wouldn't find any other form of PvP at low level except for the odd grievance between clans. Most of it would be capped tanks moonstrikering noobs at the bunker or clearing out levellers in regants.

enigma_b17
01-10-12, 16:13
Nah wouldn't work.

While n00b pvp can actually be fun, It would be far too easy to a tank to stand 2 miles away and obliterate a whole group of n00bs with a cannon, -100 soullight means nothing to most people.

Herrad
01-10-12, 16:14
Hate to say it but all you would get is people who suck at PvP shooting noobs. You wouldn't find any other form of PvP at low level except for the odd grievance between clans. Most of it would be capped tanks moonstrikering noobs at the bunker or clearing out levellers in regants.

True, but if they got spanked with a major SL loss, that'd be enough to stop most people, and those that did it anyway would likely be hunted by other players who check the NCPD list cause after all low SL = no safe slot/lots o loot in their belt.

LiL T
01-10-12, 16:29
True, but if they got spanked with a major SL loss, that'd be enough to stop most people, and those that did it anyway would likely be hunted by other players who check the NCPD list cause after all low SL = no safe slot/lots o loot in their belt.

Hi, soul light means nothing to me.

Faid
01-10-12, 16:34
Half the server would have -100 SL simply by hitting a non teamed runner on accident while leveling :lol:

Forget My Name
01-10-12, 16:54
What is it with all these LE threads lately? Holy cow...

Just face it... The Neocron Community has developed over the years into the following; Make new Character, level to CAP, then take out LE, join clan, enjoy PvP.

Just deal.

Herrad
01-10-12, 17:41
What is it with all these LE threads lately? Holy cow...

Just face it... The Neocron Community has developed over the years into the following; Make new Character, level to CAP, then take out LE, join clan, enjoy PvP.

Just deal.

Yep, very true. Is that good development though?

There's so much missed potential with the sheer number of low TL weapons alone, that just isn't taken advantage of. It would definitely spice up levelling and reduce the more grind-oriented aspect of the game by bringing players into what Neocron does best earlier.

I agree with the comments about SL as an inappropriate system to use. Though I [disclaimer: would like to] think people do find -100 uncomfortable enough to avoid unnecessarily pwning noobs.

A dynamic targeting system, works out whether you can hit a player based on their rank maybe? Similar to how the LE stops noobs being hit. Then (so PPUs can look after you whilst PvEing) when your in a team with a player they can hit you regardless.

Forget My Name
01-10-12, 18:25
Yep, very true. Is that good development though?

I don't know if how the players developed the game over the years is a good one, but it is one we are stuck with at the moment. Trying to get low level PvP going on seems like a near impossibility given the current game mechanics.

There's so much missed potential with the sheer number of low TL weapons alone, that just isn't taken advantage of. It would definitely spice up levelling and reduce the more grind-oriented aspect of the game by bringing players into what Neocron does best earlier.

I wouldn't argue against your logic here. Free form, low level PvP does seem like a missed opportunity in many ways, but I don't know if it is a good idea for Neocron 2.2.

I agree with the comments about SL as an inappropriate system to use. Though I [disclaimer: would like to] think people do find -100 uncomfortable enough to avoid unnecessarily pwning noobs.

That is the rub though... Players typically have generall mind sets. The kind of person who cares about the -100 SL hit aren't the ones who want to low level PvP "for the most part", and people who don't care about -100 SL don't give a shit about rules and regulations, and would sooner sweep sewers for 0/2s to kill than PvE all day.

The system you propose just doesn't work with the current type of gamer population we have.

A dynamic targeting system, works out whether you can hit a player based on their rank maybe? Similar to how the LE stops noobs being hit. Then (so PPUs can look after you whilst PvEing) when your in a team with a player they can hit you regardless.

Overall, we all forget one thing; Neofrag

Neofrag was designed by the Developers who knew PvE casual players didn't want to suffer the penalties of death over and over, and have a place to battle once in a while. The problem with Neofrag is a simple one...

Neofrag isn't on the forefront of any new players mind when they start playing the game. No one knows about it, so frankly over time, no one cares about it anymore.

it would be nice if Neofrag was actually a bigger part of the Neocron City community. What do I mean?

Maybe once every 2 days an automated mail is sent out to all players. Players are invited to enter Neofrag for a tourney. Tourneys are based on Rank. Players go to the Neofrag NPC and sign up for their Tourney. When the time comes, there is a 10 minute window for all Neofraggers to enter the arena, and when the timer is over, the tourney starts.

Winners get a prize based on their rank. Perhaps low level runners could get cash, a chaincraft, whatever. Mid level runners could get cash, small apartment, X amount spending spree at the furniture/plant shop. High level runners would get 5 random, unressed tech parts, a homegirl, whatever.

As long as Neofrag exists, there is already a mechanism in the game for all players to participate in combat. Players just need to be made aware of Neofrag, and frankly given incentives to use it.

There is no reason to force players to remove their LE and participate in PvP if they don't want to with the current game state and community we have now.

William Antrim
01-10-12, 18:51
Get it working properly first and then it would solve all of this. By it I mean nf and that stupid flying bug and the reapawning with naff all health. People need to respawn with full health to make it more fps like as was intended I believe. Also get rid of the flying bug.

In the meantime it would only be gankers who enjoyed thus proposed change.

Don't forget plenty of runners in nc currently cannot fight unless they are ppu buffed AND within 20 metres of a safe zoneline.

To give them a prey out in the wastes with no chance of fighting back would be too tempting, although I would expect many would not go unless their ppu went along....

Model192
02-10-12, 21:54
Hi. I went red SL like it was my job, kept someone on neoterm watching reds' positions in relation to mine, then hunted other reds for full loot and SL boost.