PDA

View Full Version : Proposition : Donations to the Volunteer Team

L0KI
25-09-12, 10:32
Hi all,

As you all know, the volunteer team are working their arses off to bring us patches, a new active server, and (almost) 24 hours support. They're doing this all for free.

I have thought countless times that I'd like to donate something to these guys; maybe to help with the costs associated with running the servers, or merely to offer an incentive to keep working as hard as they are doing now. The issue of course, is that they don't have an official way to donate.

So, my proposition is simple;

OPTION 1 :

Zoltan sets up a Paypal account which can accept donations, and lists it on the forum for all to see, and soon. Whilst the server is in its infancy, I think it's likely they'll receive a reasonable sum of money... certainly enough to pay for the servers.

OPTION 2 :

I will happily take care of all Paypal donations and transfer the money to them via bank transfer each month if there's any reason they can't/won't do this.

Opinions/thoughts?

Zuul
25-09-12, 10:37
Why not, both Options are good...

Dark-Destroy
25-09-12, 10:42
The license of the game is currently in the ownership of Kirk. Zoltan and the other volunteers are currently only working on the game, because they gets the rights by Kirk.
But it's a problem to haul the money of the players as benefits or something else. He would gets problems with the taxation office in germany and with the german legal situation.
So I think it's hard to find out any way to fund the volunteers.

Coid
25-09-12, 10:45
OMFG ITS RABBI!!! LONG LIVE -sYn- =D I will donate what i can m8!!!

hatmankh
25-09-12, 10:47
This is a great idea, I don't know exactly how many people have been playing since Titan launched, we've had 34% or 35% logged on at one time, I would guess there's been roughly 500 people on altogether. If just half of them donated $10 that's $2500.

Together with the greatly improved populations we've had recently, this kind of donation would show just how dedicated Neocron's fanbase is. It could even help get NC:Reloaded published.

Coid
25-09-12, 10:50
Well they got my hard earned cash, all i gotta do is sort out paypal ;) And i would donate alot more than 10 bucks 4 sure

L0KI
25-09-12, 10:55
Kirk told me about German tax law with regards to donations.

Okay, then the other idea I suppose is for us to collect the donations, and maybe just pay Zoltan's server bill somehow. Maybe a German can elaborate on the tax issue in receiving donations.

yavimaya
25-09-12, 11:00
As a last resort can we not send Kirk some "birthday money" on his birthday? or similar.

L0KI
25-09-12, 11:02
As a last resort can we not send Kirk some "birthday money" on his birthday? or similar.

It's not Kirk we're sending money to, it's the volunteer team; the guys that aren't doing this for profit.

yavimaya
25-09-12, 11:06
Well same deal, i just thought seen as people were talking of paying for the servers, doesnt Kirk still pay for them?
Or is Zoltan now paying for Titan?

L0KI
25-09-12, 11:07
Well same deal, i just thought seen as people were talking of paying for the servers, doesnt Kirk still pay for them?
Or is Zoltan now paying for Titan?

Titan (and I believe the site, etc), is being paid for by Zoltan, I believe.

yavimaya
25-09-12, 11:08
Ok, well TBH, they both deserve something.

Haxxor
25-09-12, 13:24
Ok, well TBH, they both deserve something.

A weekend in Amsterdam sounds good to me.

zii
25-09-12, 13:27
Happy to donate. Just tell me where to post the cash to.

danmalone
25-09-12, 13:28
I'd happily contribute something towards this if it were at all possible.

Going by some of the things I'm hearing about the changes, I'd probably pay for my accounts on a month to month basis again. Beats paying Blizzard monthly subscriptions for WoW anyway :P

Haxxor
25-09-12, 13:35
Donating is a good idea but think how hard it will be for the NC staff to deal with the money. Who gets what for who does what ect + tax issues.
Until the GM's come up with a system for for donations/subscriptions i think it's a no go atm.

flib
25-09-12, 20:56
Beer donations are the right of all sentient beings.

Nikopol
25-09-12, 21:01
start a fanfest :P
he just needs something that ppl can "buy" over paypal and we are in so far :)

Kanedax
25-09-12, 21:04
beer donations are the right of all sentient beings.

qft!

Doc Holliday
26-09-12, 08:52
well some guy in nigeria sent me an email today telling me he needs me to help him get $10 million out of a trust fund set up over there so as soon as i have that you can have half for sure. that should keep servers up right ? :)

Ok sorry in seriousness now. yes i will donate. more than happy. wont be a lot but i want to give something. maybe it will be $20 or $25 dollars AU but it would help im sure. someone needs to try and make this happen. Mods or who ever could you have a word?

yavimaya
26-09-12, 09:48
hey man, AU$25 is like $400 to them right now.

Mokoi
26-09-12, 10:05
thanks for the kind words and the expression of willingness to support the common cause of keeping NC afloat and improving.
we are working on a solution to allow everyone in the community to chip in while also making sure your money is fully going towards NC and making that process transparent to everyone.
doing this requires some legal prep and cannot be rushed as German authorities are no fun when it comes to matters of tax evasion or improperly registered business operations.
I would very much hope we have some big news on the matter in the course of the next month, but as always - details tba when it's done™