PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Nightly Server Down Time

Trivaldi
25-09-12, 01:26
Hello All,

A quick point to clarify the situation of repeated downtime since the introduction of Titan [EU].

For an undefined amount of time we are having to safely take down the Neocron Game Server Infrastructure each night at 23:00 GMT. This down time is caused by an issue with our German server provider which if left unattended would cause data corruption (and potential loss) on any running server. The issue has been raised with our hosting provider and is being dealt with but we have no control over its resolution.

We hope to return to normal running as soon as we can but cannot provide a time frame at the time of writing. Right now we understand that patience may be running thin in the community due to the repeated interruptions to your enjoyment of the game and for those interruptions we apologise but must state this is a "necessary evil" on the road to getting back to business as usual.

With the vast increase in server populations over the last week, we are ecstatic you have all decided to join us on this journey and hope that journey will be a smoother one very soon.

We thank you all for your continued support.
Your Neocron Support Team

Xiphias
25-09-12, 01:30
I think we're all ecstatic Trivaldi. We all very much love this beauty of a game even in it's battered and bruised state.

One question I'm dying for a response and I'm not sure if you're willing to answer at this point is;

Are there any plans to address the balancing issues that most class have at the moment. This is more the only craw in the longevity of my plans of staying.

Are you able to give us a tidbit about anything surrounding future plans in regards to this nature?

Forget_My_Name
25-09-12, 01:32
Thank you for the update.

And as a loyal supporter of both the game itself and the volunteer work you all do, I have no issues with the game's downtime. You guys need to do what is best for the game, so keep up the wonderful work!

Faid
25-09-12, 01:43
Wow this sucks, servers are gonna be down everyday during US prime time with no time frame as to when they won't. There goes any chance I might of had of convincing people to come back.

HOG
25-09-12, 01:54
I love how the game is just starting to get a population back and the servers have to be taken down every night. This is so typical I love it! :D Welcome ba.......*Synchronizing*

Strife
25-09-12, 02:03
Don't think we don't know you guys take the server down so all the staff can MC5 safespot in peace! :P

Kanedax
25-09-12, 02:05
Baby come back!

HOG
25-09-12, 02:18
Baby come back!

Any kind of fool could see

dWintermut3
25-09-12, 02:52
I have to say this is going to make it hard to convince people to come play with me just because the downtime is in US prime time for gaming...

On the other hand, the servers seem fairly stable otherwise and I'm not paying for the game so I'm happy.

Doc Holliday
25-09-12, 03:16
Guys. I have to say for my north american comrades this hurts you all the most. It is smack in your time zone for gaming as mentioned. I am probably the luckiest mo fo on this forum as 11pm in germany is about 6am for me. Im never up that early. The server sleeps while i do. Bring your laptops and stuff, i have pizza beers and wifi. Will send address to anyone who wants to come crash :D

Ok back on a serious note. i dont expect this will last that long (being optomistic) as im pretty sure the techs in the datacenter will be all over it like a rash. Zoltans already threatened them once as we know for unplugging stuff.

If we can hold off from complaining about bringing more folks back for just a few more days or what ever it takes to get the issue resolved and go back to 24 hour service the better we all are.

Dont offer the potential addict the crack then take it away and leave them in withdrawal. Wait until you can feed them all the crack they want with no interruptions so they too will become addicted. ;)

L0KI
25-09-12, 07:49
I run several servers ( 4 of which in Germany ), and I've never heard of anything like this.

Move to a reliable host.

If you need a server or two donating, contact me.

murkster
25-09-12, 11:36
i´m on a journey ..... smooth :)

nEo-1664
25-09-12, 11:57
Guys. I have to say for my north american comrades this hurts you all the most. It is smack in your time zone for gaming as mentioned. I am probably the luckiest mo fo on this forum as 11pm in germany is about 6am for me. Im never up that early. The server sleeps while i do. Bring your laptops and stuff, i have pizza beers and wifi. Will send address to anyone who wants to come crash :D

Ok back on a serious note. i dont expect this will last that long (being optomistic) as im pretty sure the techs in the datacenter will be all over it like a rash. Zoltans already threatened them once as we know for unplugging stuff.

If we can hold off from complaining about bringing more folks back for just a few more days or what ever it takes to get the issue resolved and go back to 24 hour service the better we all are.

Dont offer the potential addict the crack then take it away and leave them in withdrawal. Wait until you can feed them all the crack they want with no interruptions so they too will become addicted. ;)

Don't tempt me... I'm in Sydney at end of April next year, having spent 2weeks in Cairns, I have a week in Sydney, after that long, I might need a neocrack fix ;) ... the girlfiend might object, but I can deal with that :P heh

Dropout
25-09-12, 12:15
I run several servers ( 4 of which in Germany ), and I've never heard of anything like this.

Move to a reliable host.

Yeah, Im working as a technician at a hosting Company. Out datacentre has more than 1500 servers, and I havent heard of anything like this either.. o_O

Haxxor
25-09-12, 12:29
I Think a few people need to change their attitudes. You're playing a game for "FREE", a game which is 100% Voluntarily Supported.
There is always going to be issues which will take time to rectify. The last thing the GM's & Co need is arrogant & selfish comments, when they work pretty hard to give us a game to play and enjoy.

L0KI
25-09-12, 12:35
I Think a few people need to change their attitudes. You're playing a game for "FREE", a game which is 100% Voluntarily Supported.
There is always going to be issues which will take time to rectify. The last thing the GM's & Co need is arrogant & selfish comments, when they work pretty hard to give us a game to play and enjoy.

If I have implied having a bad attitude, that was not my intention at all. I'm just pointing out that this sort of thing shouldn't happen, and that they should consider switching to another data centre/provider.

Hetzner.de is excellent, and handles my German servers.

CMaster
25-09-12, 12:52
I'm not entirely sure that it is a pure datacentre issue.

Every time when I played NC2, that Terra got peak pops routinely exceeding 25%, there would after a week or so be database errors, ultimately leading to a roll back. Something is up with the game in that respect

danmalone
25-09-12, 12:53
If I have implied having a bad attitude, that was not my intention at all. I'm just pointing out that this sort of thing shouldn't happen, and that they should consider switching to another data centre/provider.

Hetzner.de is excellent, and handles my German servers.

I think it was more directed at comments from those in the US?

I agree that its a bit of a kick in the nads for them but if it's necessary to take the server offline then that's exactly what needs doing. It's going to affect people whatever time it were to happen, just unfortunate and bad luck.

Nice to see such a thriving community starting up again though and hearing people on vent teaming up for aggie cellars etc certainly brings back memories. I'll be looking to rejoin myself soon in the very near future once I've finished a couple of the other games I've been ploughing through :D

Haxxor
25-09-12, 13:03
I think it was more directed at comments from those in the US?

There was one comment i didn't like in particular yea :) , but it's the same in game too people complaining all the time. Trivaldi said it quite clearly at the top, its either take the server offline or lose data - to me that's a no brainer.

The old saying Don't look a gift horse in the mouth springs to mind.

Riddle
25-09-12, 14:05
Thanks for the update, I like the fact that the communication is far improved from yesteryear :D

like I honestly believe if the game is up in any form it far outweighs the alternative..

Faid
25-09-12, 16:30
Well I'm glad everyone in Europe gets to play, thats the important thing :)

Nikopol
25-09-12, 16:37
wahahahaha want to play:lol:

Trivaldi
25-09-12, 16:47
Well I'm glad everyone in Europe gets to play, thats the important thing :)
We really do understand the frustration felt by our US players that this occurs during their peak gaming hours. If it was within our control this wouldn't be happening at all, we're not doing this to spite you. This is a problem at data centre level which dictates the timing of the outage and we're doing everything in our power to push for resolution. Now we're putting money on the line we have the rights to keep pushing for a fix, something we're unable to do with the lagspike riddled Canadian host.

This will get sorted and we have people in contact with the data centre pushing for them to get it done yesterday. We're just as annoyed as you guys believe it or not, as we'd actually love to provide you ALL with a quality service. That's why we're all still here.

Nikopol
25-09-12, 16:49
Thanks for the help anyway m8, but when the server goes back up ? You have a time or date or no clue at all , when the hardware and software will work ?

Kanedax
25-09-12, 16:50
And we all know you guys have your secret alts that you furiously level during non peak hours.

RogerRamjet
25-09-12, 17:23
Any ETA when the servers might be online Trivaldi?

Trivaldi
25-09-12, 17:36
Not at the moment I'm afraid. :(

edit: This is annoying me too as I wanted to level my HC tank tonight :p

Coid
25-09-12, 17:39
I have no clue about the time zones thing I live in the US (PST)...Can someone convert the German time difference to PST time for me? If germany is anything like the US, then they might have more than one time zone as well. But as a US player, it would be nice to know :)

Nikopol
25-09-12, 17:48
we have atm utc+2 due summer time, normaly +1 winter time from greenwich in england, so east coast is utc -5 , middle -6 mountain -7 and Pacific -8 so you need to add +2 hours to all these time zones to get the german one :) ( east coast should be -7 than)

Riddle
25-09-12, 21:09
Server still down? I was going to fire up my laptop

Dribble Joy
25-09-12, 21:36
This announcement needs to go on the launcher page.

Apocalypsox
26-09-12, 03:14
So ye say, so it shall happen Drib :lol:

Anyone care to enlighten me as to why titan is down? I wasn't about when it went down and didn't get to hear any news about that.

hatmankh
26-09-12, 23:30
Is the current downtime part of this? If so it started 40 minutes early :(

hatmankh
29-09-12, 01:18
*Shakes his fist at Strato*

LiL T
29-09-12, 02:17

Move to a reliable host.

Have you ever played eve-online? Or any other game that has daily downtimes for that matter?

/edit

BTW how long does the downtime normally last?

yavimaya
29-09-12, 03:43
That's what I was just wondering T, I'm not normally around for it, so far it seems to be going on 3 hours, I thought it would be more of a backup and reboot sort of thing.

Vampslord
29-09-12, 06:54
DAmn.. and i quit work 3 hour earlier tonight so i could play and lvl my lowbie...

Apocalypsox
29-09-12, 07:38
Have you ever played eve-online? Or any other game that has daily downtimes for that matter?

/edit

BTW how long does the downtime normally last?

Downtime is in prime US time, and NC has never had to have downtime before.

No bueno.

Todays downtime is lasitng longer than usual, I think the GMs are doing some work while its down.