PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the NC1 models, amirite?

Model192
17-09-12, 04:40
NC1 models (which we all loved) vs. the blocky/ugly bullshit we have now.

No, seriously though, they fit WAY better into the whole gritty/cool world. The new ones look like utter and complete shit. help us out devs, swap in the NC1 models. The NC2 models don't fit in the world AT ALL and look like SHIT.

Doc Holliday
17-09-12, 04:55
not feasible dude. its been said a million times. it cant be done for certain reasons according to sources. If they got artists to draw up and render NC2 models using the old nc1 style then yest that would work but they cannot be ported accross. i forgot the reasons why but it was discussed by a mod/gm. Try searching. I will vote for the NC1 option but thats purely to show support for this if they could get artists who could do such as i posted above. and for free :)

yavimaya
17-09-12, 05:42
Agreed with Doc

Setlec
17-09-12, 06:07
not feasible dude. its been said a million times. it cant be done for certain reasons according to sources. If they got artists to draw up and render NC2 models using the old nc1 style then yest that would work but they cannot be ported accross. i forgot the reasons why but it was discussed by a mod/gm. Try searching. I will vote for the NC1 option but thats purely to show support for this if they could get artists who could do such as i posted above. and for free :)

iirc the reason was the animation skeleton of the NC 1 models would break current NC 2 models animations or something of sort. NC 2 has a lot more animations than nc 1 did.

Dark-Destroy
17-09-12, 07:39
This is a goddamned old discussion. To bring back the NC1 models to NC2 isn't possible.

Doc Holliday
17-09-12, 08:57
thank you setlec. Model why not get the first post altered a little and reset the poll to see if the community wants the old models used as influence for some new skins. say in nc:reloaded perhaps. if it happens. You can guarantee the result will be a resounding yes

flib
17-09-12, 08:58
Bullshit that it's not possible. Maybe it would be a shitload of work to get them working and they don't currently have anyone who is able to do the work, and they wouldn't be comfortable implementing them without all the NC2 animations, which is fine, but to say that it's not possible is a lie.

yavimaya
17-09-12, 09:25
It may not be possible Flib, even if the models are the same size, the joints may be in different places, hit boxes different sizes, etc.
Not saying that they couldnt remake them, but the point of saying they cant do it is: If they have to redo them, they are not the old models! That is aside from the fact that they dont have the resources and any resources they do have can be used to much greater effect elsewhere.

Dribble Joy
17-09-12, 09:56
Third option: New models.

=REMUS=
17-09-12, 09:59
NC1 models (which we all loved) vs. the blocky/ugly bullshit we have now.

No, seriously though, they fit WAY better into the whole gritty/cool world. The new ones look like utter and complete shit. help us out devs, swap in the NC1 models. The NC2 models don't fit in the world AT ALL and look like SHIT.

I agree + this post actually made me lol :D

L0KI
17-09-12, 10:09
Third option: New models.

I vote for this.

Trivaldi
17-09-12, 10:10
This is the official stance as per a few weeks ago.

Heya,

I know a lot wants the old models back for nostalgica and personal taste. But that is not - as you seem to assume - done with simply enabling the models again in the defs.

Once enabled in the defs, the Outfitesr have to be adjusted, the animations have to be extended, the attachments have to be corrected, the char creation would have to be redone and a not so small amount of bugs with them needs to be fixed (i.e. the ever rotating upper bodies, invisible portraits in the login, etc)

The GM Model is one of the old ones and it often causes troubles when used with the new layer model system. (ie. resetting/vanishing, head/body missmatch) Sure, the new ones are also not perfect i.e. the giant lip.

But I think for something that is personal taste we should not introduce more problems.

And on a personal side. I do not think that the horde of clone black chars with a big butt looking like ninja do really fit better into NC. We always had a lot of runners choose advantage (in being badly visible/noticeable) over look and feel.
I'm sure you all agree there are masses of things higher up the to do list.

I've removed the poll, I don't want anyone thinking that it's outcome might carry any weight. Regardless of that fact, we'd much rather sit and read your actual thought out opinions in a quality post, than gather feedback of something this significant from a simple idle click.

yavimaya
17-09-12, 10:53
Here Here Triv!
Leave the models, once everything is running really well and KK have made some more money from the game and are back on thier feet, then they can make us new models of the old ones!

Chuck Norris
17-09-12, 11:31
its totally possible.... theyd have to bring back old weapons models and skins too :D

Dru Blood
17-09-12, 11:57
Although not important at this stage, everyone wants them back - The old PE model with the flame pants, The PE with the red hair! Man those were the good times. The old models were CyberPunk.

ReKKeR
17-09-12, 15:15
How possible would it be to have the player base shoulder model re-textures? If a texture template was provided and let the community design new models with the format / file size constraints needed, I'm sure many would be willing to pitch in, I know I would.

Ascension
17-09-12, 20:37
How possible would it be to have the player base shoulder model re-textures? If a texture template was provided and let the community design new models with the format / file size constraints needed, I'm sure many would be willing to pitch in, I know I would.

This is a great idea, I'd love to pitch in with this!

William Antrim
17-09-12, 21:29
I like the idea of community help but I really dont see how it is possible. I dont know enough about computer art however but right now I would rather see some gameplay issues addressed rather than aesthetics. However new models definitely gets my vote!

Mad_Deunan
18-09-12, 20:03
not only the NC1 models but the old animations are better then this shit

RandomCustomer
25-09-12, 20:44
I agree with bring back nc1 models, they definitely had a more cyberpunk feel that fit in with the world of neocron. It's also not fair that my private eye went from having the coolest model in the game to having this ugly stiff underlip bug.

Dissenter
25-09-12, 21:02
http://www.pixelgod.net/img/gallery/neocron.jpg

Way cooler, but seems we might not see them again

Xiphias
25-09-12, 21:05
I miss those skins ...

Shazam
25-09-12, 21:12
I miss those skins ...

Me too :(

Kanedax
25-09-12, 21:14
Makes you wonder why they went to the new ones.

Xiphias
25-09-12, 21:15
http://www.hostile.dk/files/Neocron/shot0361.jpg
anyone remember Arbiter? :D

Dissenter
25-09-12, 21:18
I miss that RPOS

tbird
25-09-12, 22:08
Anyone remember the "Dazhud" rpos-skin? :)

I miss the old skins, the old rpos, the old NC1 ...

Mizore
26-09-12, 02:16
These screenshots bring back some good memories... I loved the old Neocron. No offense, Neocron 2 ist nice and playable but I would rather play the old one, even if it lacks content/items/fixes.

Morrow36
26-09-12, 02:52
I heard it was possible to hack in the old NC1 skins, but that it's a bannable offense because it means modifying client files.

If we made this explicitly allowed, everyone could get what they wanted. Players that want the new skins can keep everything the same, and players that want NC1 skins can mod them in.

LiL T
26-09-12, 03:02
Why don't people just accept the fact that they are not going to use those old models, not only because they are outdated but because they would need to change so fucking much trivial crap in order to get them to work. Yes there are much more important things that need adding, fixing in this game than pleasing a small minority of fucking constant whiners, they have said this so many times, well perhaps not as blunt or insulting as I have.

If you've lurked over the years, this thread title popped up every 3 month or more frequently, even when the damn thing was ready to close its doors for good FFS. Each time they explained why they currently can't and they even explained this in this thread again for your convenience or did you just forget to read?

The point is their team is very small and its made of of volunteers and they do not have the people to work on new character models or to work on bringing back the old ones.

Yeah I love the old models too but I accepted the fact that we won't be getting them back like 5+ years ago.

Apocalypsox
26-09-12, 03:11
old models blow, I'd be more for moving the rest of the games models into the 21st century.

Drachenpaladin
26-09-12, 03:40
Why don't people just accept the fact [..]

Because the ability to deny the inevitable and to refuse and ignore the irrevocable is a core quality of a NC player. :angel:

Its what kept the game online.

rune100
26-09-12, 08:01
old models blow, I'd be more for moving the rest of the games models into the 21st century.

Old models might blow according to you, but the "new" models blow even harder and I doubt we're gonna get updated models once again. Also, you won't get game models worthy of the 21st century on this engine either.

Thing is, I doubt they have the old models lying around anymore. It just seems unlikely.

Apocalypsox
26-09-12, 09:27
Old models might blow according to you, but the "new" models blow even harder and I doubt we're gonna get updated models once again. Also, you won't get game models worthy of the 21st century on this engine either.

Thing is, I doubt they have the old models lying around anymore. It just seems unlikely.

So whats with all the new weapon models that were made some time ago?

They are pretty damn good. The engine won't handle it huh?

Ascension
26-09-12, 10:08
I think if possible they could release the texture maps for the current models so we can add more variation, while I appreciate its not an ideal solution base on the current models, it will allow for a little more variety and diversity.

Mad_Deunan
26-09-12, 10:13

the old models and animation are still ingame look at all those npcs

Setlec
26-09-12, 19:15
not really mad_deunan, some of the NPCs had partial animation from back NC 1. the player character's animations are the issue, since NC 2 launch there was new character models with new animations those new animations and skeletons are the main problem. the skin of the old models offered variety while NC2 models don't.

Doc Holliday
27-09-12, 09:14
I do miss the old PE model as i said. I dont see that theres much wrong with the current ones though. I quite like the monk ones and also the Tanks although i think the tanks could do with a more battlescarred look like the old ones used to have. They looked like they had definitely seen combat action and stayed true to NC Lore.

yavimaya
27-09-12, 11:05
I think if possible they could release the texture maps for the current models so we can add more variation, while I appreciate its not an ideal solution base on the current models, it will allow for a little more variety and diversity.

This!
They are a skeleton staff, KK have always been reasonable and creative people, why not let the community develop new skins as a competion like they have done with numerous things over the years *ahem* new smileys.
I think we would have awesome new "models" in no time.