PDA

View Full Version : Nannite Discussion Thread!

William Antrim
13-09-12, 15:19
Below is a group of posts from another thread on my ideas for nannite balancing. Some of the content is in reply to posts that are not currently shown in this thread. I made this thread so as to keep the nannite discussion away from some of the other topics covered in said previous thread, however for those new to this thread you can see the discussion so far.

"Please make nannites one dose application for max resist. Please make nannites last ten minutes or even half hour too. Give the spies something to spec imp for.... other than poking. Also please allow this particular increase to give APUs a fighting chance too and even PE's could benefit from this!"

"I will be honest Biggie I am not completely au fait with Nannites defence values currently. I would expect to see nannites offer a basic level of protection ideally - across the board for all classes (ie ppu level 1 or at a push level 2 for the high end ones - so not enough that you would want to leave your ppu at home for op fights but enough that you should confidently feel able to fight without him)."

"The only real problem I can see is imbalancing nannites at the lower end of the scale. Herein lies the issue. Spies have high damage output and anything you do to the spy also affects the PE to a lesser extent. The PE is meant to be the jack of all trades. But in this particular case I feel the PE should have access to HIGHER level nannites than the spy - more DEF to even out his/her lower damage output. It would make PE's more viable perhaps!"

"If PSI buffs were shit noone would use them and so PSI would suddenly become null and void unless youre a monk. This is something I would like to avoid. I think however that speccing all those int points for poking the nannites should offer some reward over speccing the psi points for heals and whatnot. I dont want to see nannites replace PSI buffs but offer an alternative at cap. I dont want to see spies running around with blessed level self buffs either."

"At the same time I dont think we need to stack all of these applications - yes you get the enhancements across the board with all different resists but who actually uses any of them. We should focus (in my mind) on primary damage types and limit the resist to one dose giving X amount. Not six doses giving X amount. The application to rebuff should be no more difficult than a PSI rebuff. The defence offered should give the same protection as said PSI buff. So if youre a spy and you want to use nannites and you spec 80 odd points in implant I believe you should get 80 points worth of defence.

Yes I like the idea of APUs getting focussing based nannites but perhaps with some dex TC req as well. This would make them useful to PE's as well.

However if a pe has the option to spend his 175 psi points (PSI level 35 - 5 points per level as well as his int and dex) he should get access to some higher form of nannite than either the Spy or the APU as he has the skillset to shave off points from each of his main stats to reach those higher nannites. (Tech Combat/Imp/Focussing).

If each of these skills were a req on the Nannite tool you could have a PE Nannite system to give him resists one step down from a tank. Which is what I believe should be the case initially.

I would like to see the classes have different choices in their heals and buffs. I dont want to see one method completely overpower a class over another. I believe that monks only should be using PSI at high end and that technology should enhance the other classes (as it did in NC history). I would also like to see APU's (in current ingame mechanics) stand half a chance in PvE and solo.

I would also like to see PE's brought back into the fold and be made to be similar to mini tanks.

I have thought long and hard about this and I hope that there are no glaring holes in my reasoning.

The actual values that these buffs would be give would have to be thrashed out hugely as I would rather see the PSI buffs be equivalent to the Nannite buffs - both in terms of protection and ease of application.

I think all buffs should last longer too. I am a huge believer in that. If you want pvp to happen more buffs should last longer. I hate it getting into a long fight only to find I have to rebuff half way through. This should not be the way of it. Shooting is much more fun!

I hope this explains the nannite part of my post a little better. I realise in hindsight that this is not as simple a thing as first envisioned and would require huge amounts of testing. But if we could get this right and make a formula that can balance the PSI buffs with Nannite buffs can you imagine how much more fun this game could be?"

"P.s all of the changes I mentioned would be to balance nannites for all classes and make them fair to use across the board and yes I did state that the values should be lowered to be in line with the equivalent PPU spells (either PPU cast or self cast).

I am not sure if you misread my post or just didnt understand what I am trying to get at. I also dont see how you would get teams of nannite spies considering that under my proposals the nannites available to spies would be the equivalent defence of a level 1 (self cast) psi buff.

Spies would die in seconds under these conditions. With the lower resists of self cast nannites compared with high end ppu buffs you would NEED the ppu more than ever. OP fights werent the thinking behind this post. I was more aiming at open world pvp and solo pvp and pve.

PPUs should absolutely out defend ALL other forms of defence from ANY source otherwise the class is redundant."

William Antrim
13-09-12, 15:27
I think one tool to apply either 50/50 on 2 resists or just full dose on one resist would be the best. Only ever allow up to two damage types to be resisted at a time. (IE fire and energy or pierce and force etc).

This would allow PvE to still gain some benefit. If i wanted to go off and solo a Grim Chaser for example I could take some Fire Nannites and crack on.

Whereas if later on that day I decided I wanted to solo some clans I could choose my Energy and Xray Nannites etc.

The actual value of the defence is scalable of course and if the top end nannites are the equivalent of PPU spells then I am currently unsure how nannites would work at the lower end. IE a decent slotted TL3 heal would probably outheal one of the lowest level heal tools and so on for the shield spells. The deflector PSI spell may be much better than the equivalent nannite tool.

I would also retain the current nannite vs psi buff rule so that you couldnt stack both.

However this is, to me at least, of a lesser importance as long as the spells/nannites were balanced at cap. It would hopefully make the game more fun anyway.

Dropout
13-09-12, 15:40
Yeah as long as the balancing between ppu and nanite shields doesnt get screwed, it would be very nice with more possibilities for setups.
I think that the tl3 psi heal vs the whatever tl the lowest nanite heal is, should depend on TL (how much they heal).
Just so that both options still are viable.

And make nonPA setups for PEs viable Again!! But thats a completely different subject :p

Haxxor
13-09-12, 21:22
what about removing nanites from the game RE. NC1/NC2?

William Antrim
13-09-12, 22:06
what about removing nanites from the game RE. NC1/NC2?

I would rather have them work correctly than not be here at all.

Dropout
13-09-12, 23:33
I would rather have them work correctly than not be here at all.

This..
Why on earth remove possible setups..? :wtf:

Haxxor
13-09-12, 23:36
good Setups were there without them thats all im saying

Dropout
13-09-12, 23:53
good Setups were there without them thats all im saying

Obviously... But isnt it boring when everyone uses similar setups? I know that I hate it..
Thats why my PE is using a noPA setup just to give an example..

Kanedax
14-09-12, 00:22
I love throwing on some shabby underwear and grabbing my Pain Easer then running around a trolling people because WTF you can't kill anyone with that setup.

Dropout
14-09-12, 00:28
I love throwing on some shabby underwear and grabbing my Pain Easer then running around a trolling people because WTF you can't kill anyone with that setup.

Im currently using xbow with about 170 PC, and yeah, NOT doing a lot of dmg to ppu-buffed people.. ;)
Thats the main problem with noPA setups though - not nearly enough dmg, if people are ppu-buffed..
If people Arent buffed I can kill most with just my sexeh tl92 pulselaser pistol though <3

Kanedax
14-09-12, 00:36
Im currently using xbow with about 170 PC, and yeah, NOT doing a lot of dmg to ppu-buffed people.. ;)
Thats the main problem with noPA setups though - not nearly enough dmg, if people are ppu-buffed..
If people Arent buffed I can kill most with just my sexeh tl92 pulselaser pistol though <3

The Pain Easer, unfortunately, is no tl92 pulselaser pistol.

Dropout
14-09-12, 01:46
The Pain Easer, unfortunately, is no tl92 pulselaser pistol.

Thats true, I do have a Pain Easer PE aswell though - Although I havent used it in ages... ;)

William Antrim
14-09-12, 08:19
Please stay on topic.