PDA

View Full Version : Informations on the reachability of the servers

Zoltan
13-09-12, 13:03
You may have noticed that during the last 2 days the Neocron servers were often not reachable during the prime time. Throughout the last weeks we had to suspend approximately 60 accounts because of massive cheating and/or duping. The attacks on the infrastructure of Neocron seem to be directly related to these suspensions.

We are eager to combat this problem. Many community members are already with us on our official IRC channel, where they can follow us 'live' at work. The subsequent attacks render the game unusable at the moment, since we heavily depend on the availability of our online services.

Nevertheless, we will not surrender. To combat the problem, we will work day and night if necessary.

Our plans for the new server-infrastructure have been spoiled by this attack. Our number one priority is now to keep the main servers and therefore also the game running. Consequently, we have to make drastic, far-reaching descisions, soon.

To give you the chance to enjoy your favourite game even in the case of another attack, we bring you the 'KickStart'-tool:

KickStart Tool (http://sdrv.ms/PtdtMQ)

Just drop it into the neocron folder and use it to fire up Neocron. I do not want to go into detail about the inner workins of this tool. However, in case of another DDoS attack it imitates a „Webpage“ for the launcher, so you are still able to login.

Thank you all for all your support and for bearing with us!

Z

Hell-demon
13-09-12, 13:22
Ok...lets see if this works

MadMeleeFreak
13-09-12, 14:28
Hackers truely are anti-sozial douchebags. If they get so much fun from letting people suffer, why don't they just take a knife and cut their own throats just for pleasure.

Sorry for such drastic words, but such idiocy just makes me super angry and wanting to headshot someone. I'll never get how anything about destructive hacking is fun or serves any desirrable purpose.

IanKett
13-09-12, 15:55
I hope you're working with the authorities against this attack.

Mr. Kassad
13-09-12, 16:00
Keep it up guys! If you (or we all) give in to that kind of behavior we will face that shit every time a hacker gets banned. I wish I could help but all I can do is to wish you the best luck in tackling that DDOS.

I didn't know about the "live-feed" in IRC. Thanks for the heads up!

Kanedax
13-09-12, 20:01
To be honest I'd be happy to donate for the purposes of acquiring an anti-DDoS tool.

William Antrim
13-09-12, 21:09
To be honest I'd be happy to donate for the purposes of acquiring an anti-DDoS tool.

me too.

=REMUS=
13-09-12, 21:15
I'm not.

I hate you all.

:mad:

xmayze
13-09-12, 21:35
as stated, i think a lot of players would be willing to chip in when it comes to anti ddos protection, myself included.

or at least chip in towards paying a company to track down the person responsible and put them in jail LOL

Dropout
13-09-12, 23:36

If the scale of the attacks is grand enough, there Arent any tools to prevent it. I wont get into details for obvious reasons though.

Kanedax
14-09-12, 00:23
If the scale of the attacks is grand enough, there Arent any tools to prevent it. I wont get into details for obvious reasons though.

I see, I'll admit, I know nothing of these things.

Biglines
14-09-12, 00:26

lol that makes it sound like u know because of naughty stuff, instead of the fact that u do server admin for a living :p

Dropout
14-09-12, 00:31
lol that makes it sound like u know because of naughty stuff, instead of the fact that u do server admin for a living :p

Haha yeah, I should probably have mentioned that :p

Croatoan
14-09-12, 01:21
Would it be possible to use some sort of filter? I.E set it up so that only requests from legitimate accounts or IPs (or MACs) can get into the server?

EDIT - Also, I have been trying to get into the IRC channel via irc.neocron.info and have been unable to do so. I tried it with my "favorite IRC client" and joined channel #neocron, but there was only like 2 people in the channel. Am I doing something wrong?

Dropout
14-09-12, 01:52
Would it be possible to use some sort of filter? I.E set it up so that only requests from legitimate accounts or IPs (or MACs) can get into the server?
That should be possible yes. However, it would be a major pain in the ass for the poor volunteers - who already have more than enough on their plate ;)

Croatoan
14-09-12, 02:15
True - but I'm sure they are already fully exerted as it is. But I think this would achieve two things that would help the situation.

1. The DDoS would cease. Neocron would be playable again to the TRUE human being gamers who love this game like the crack that it is....

2. It would allow the staff to effectively narrow down potential suspectsn using a list of the IPs of +-300 active players compared against a list of all the current IPs that are on the botnet which is DDoSing the NC servers. Wireshark has a feature that allows this if I am not mistaken. Not exactly in that context, but it does at least allow the analysis and the output of the data.

Compare these two lists, and you shouldn't find any of the 'legitimate IPs' on the 'DDoS' list (channeling Dr. Evil). If so, either the person is DDoSing on purpose, or by strict chance, they have gotten the same virus as everyone else on the botnet. However, you shouldn't see a whole lot of matches, meaning the statistical part of it would be in the devs favor due to the small size of the current player base.

In either case, the admins could simply revoke access to any IPs that appear on both lists, and ALL the IPs that are on the huge DDoS list (Judging by the bandwidth being consumed, the number is pretty high.) This would at least make the game playable for those who really enjoy it.

What happens if someone wants to create another account? Simple. Add his/her IP to the list. If they start any funky stuff, swing the ban hammer like Gallagher on meth.

William Antrim
14-09-12, 11:01

EDIT - Also, I have been trying to get into the IRC channel via irc.neocron.info and have been unable to do so. I tried it with my "favorite IRC client" and joined channel #neocron, but there was only like 2 people in the channel. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry for the nooby question but are you pasting the irc.neocron.info thing into your web browser or are you actually using some old school IRC program?

Riddle
14-09-12, 16:19
Any chance we might be able to play NC tonight? Or us this shit still continuing? I need some neocrack.....,

Drachenpaladin
14-09-12, 16:47
Any chance we might be able to play NC tonight? Or us this shit still continuing? I need some neocrack.....,

:>
http://downloads.info/windows/pc-games/mmorpg/neocron-offline-demo.html

Ressorator
14-09-12, 17:24
The File contains a Virus with the Name Solimba.Gen :eek:

William Antrim
14-09-12, 18:45
What's that link?

Riddle
14-09-12, 19:28
Dunno I'm lost!!

William Antrim
14-09-12, 19:58
nvm its the offline demo. It was an attempt at humour I think.

Richard Blade
14-09-12, 20:30
I used to have that demo.
When I was waiting in '02 for the closed beta to open up, I played that demo for hours start to finish multiple times.

Twas' what got me hooked on the ncrack, it did. (although tenticle did a fine job of curing me :(

Riddle
14-09-12, 21:54
Is anyone in game or is this down for good?

William Antrim
14-09-12, 22:33
An announcement is due to be made in the next 24 hours. I guess all we can do is wait till then.

Riddle
14-09-12, 22:40
Sounds good thanks :)

Hope they can sort, things were going so well, saw Pops go from 2% to 14% in a matter of a week!

Druid311
16-09-12, 00:59
Sounds good thanks :)

Hope they can sort, things were going so well, saw Pops go from 2% to 14% in a matter of a week!

My launcher opens, I click Play Neocron, and then "connecting to server" and it hangs on that. It's down? Others getting the same thing?

Chuck Norris
16-09-12, 01:00
My launcher opens, I click Play Neocron, and then "connecting to server" and it hangs on that. It's down?
yes script kiddies are analwrecking the servers

Druid311
16-09-12, 01:03
yes script kiddies are analwrecking the servers

Thanks. Love the forum name/pic. Big fan here. lol

LiL T
16-09-12, 01:04
My launcher opens, I click Play Neocron, and then "connecting to server" and it hangs on that. It's down? Others getting the same thing?

They are up but not accepting connections yet.

ariall
22-09-12, 14:00
Terra is online again since a few days but its tottally empty and looks like a ghost server.
I cant enter my (clan) apps, when I try to use the clan tab on the city com the game crashes back
to desktop... what happend??

Mokoi
22-09-12, 14:05
Terra is online again since a few days but its tottally empty and looks like a ghost server.
I cant enter my (clan) apps, when I try to use the clan tab on the city com the game crashes back
to desktop... what happend??

One of the later DDoS waves caused Terra to crash hard, severely damaging the filesystem and database integrity.
I cannot provide you with an ETA on when the server can be fully restored, but I understand there is work in progress.

ariall
22-09-12, 14:52
One of the later DDoS waves caused Terra to crash hard, severely damaging the filesystem and database integrity.
I cannot provide you with an ETA on when the server can be fully restored, but I understand there is work in progress.

tnx for your fast respond. What about a possible rollback? It happends before in the past several times
when there was a problem with the database.

Haxxor
22-09-12, 15:12
Majority have started again on Titan why not wipe Terra & make it a clean server.

Mokoi
22-09-12, 15:34
Majority have started again on Titan why not wipe Terra & make it a clean server.

To be very clear on this:
A wipe of Terra (or Mars for that matter) is not something we consider useful or needed. Terra will not be wiped.

Terra will be restored. When and how exactly is down to the folks taking care of the issue - so as of before, I can't go into details on the procedure nor timeframe. We'll keep you posted on the progress.

flib
22-09-12, 16:57
Majority have started again on Titan why not wipe Terra & make it a clean server.OMG we have our clean server. We don't need another one.

burning01
23-09-12, 03:31
OMG we have our clean server. We don't need another one.

I second that!

Linear
23-09-12, 10:04
I'd recommend you to contact ISP and ask them to filter out and block DDoS somehow.

Sechs
24-09-12, 01:53
To be very clear on this:
A wipe of Terra (or Mars for that matter) is not something we consider useful or needed. Terra will not be wiped.

Obviously.
I mean, since the economy is so blissfully intact and since it's full of active, mentally healthy players, who enjoy the occasional, completely fair op-fight.
Not that I care, for I will not return to that laggy hellhole, but seriously, this is dead weight.
It requires attention, maintenance and support, all of which could and should actually go into titan, where your main playerbase now resides.
As a lot of players have already pointed out, this is a completely unnecessary move which is even more clearly indicated by the current server population.

If it can't be restored without a lot of work, shut it down.
This game needs serious work in multiple areas, namely bugs/exploits, weapon/class balancing.
I'm talking about actually fixing safespots, not just putting a fence there, which, in turn, can also be exploited.
I'm talking about a new ruleset for GMs, one they can actually refer to. ("This is prohibited by the rules" - "ok, can i see them?" - "have a look at the website" - "but it doesn't say anything about xyz" - no response, conversation simply ends with the gm ignoring any further communication attempts)
This nebulous definition of whats allowed and what is not also led to the report/flamefest that is currently ongoing in titans ooc/help channels.

What we don't need is another dead server like mars or merc, just because people bitch about their worthless stuff.

Don't believe me?
Just leave it offline for a week and work on something useful, nobody will actually give a fuck about it. (as long as titan stays online, obviously)

Or to be even more clear, please, for christs sake, don't make the same mistakes again.

This is my personal opinion and no offense is intended.
But I really do think that this is a stupid decision.

Mokoi
24-09-12, 04:11
I do hear you and I think we have our priorities well in line ;)

Concerning the rules:
Our team is keeping a close eye on them now and excuse me as this reply will get somewhat lengthy - but this is an itch I need to scratch.

The rule that is causing a lot of discussion is the one labled "Safespotting".
I know it is very tempting to abuse the many glitches in maps and game mechanics to level you char without being exposed to NPC damage. Most players, especially those who have been around for nearly a decade, are well aware that they are stepping across the line when leveling a xx/20 char in a cave full of high end NPC enemies (124/124) or shooting static NPCs from a spot outside the NPCs field of view.

I understand that this has been common practice for many years and many players.
Still, I find it slightly akward when a player whom I know has been around for ages tells me he has never heared about "Safespots" and later on confirms he knows full well about the issue and justifies doing it because "we dont fix it".

Everyone should understand that following the rules is not voluntary and it is not up to the individual player to define where that border of acceptable/unacceptable behavior lies (for one it is exploiting in PvE, for the next it is exploiting items or money, hacking PvP or taking down the infrastructure via DDoS).

I think we all agree that sanctioning exploits is a poor substitute for fixing exploits and should not be a long term solution. Thus, fixing exploits and bugs is very high on our agenda for Neocron. Still there will remain areas that cannot be completely resolved and I expect safespotting to stay on the list of prohibited actions because erradicating all safespots is an unlikely task to be accomplished. In any case, the rules are broadly defined, but clear (and where they are not, a GM will tell you before you get into trouble):

1. What is an exploit?
An exploit is the deliberate misuse of weaknesses or bugs in game features for personal advantage.

3. What happens to players that knowingly use exploits to the advantage of themselves or others?
Players that knowingly and continually use exploits have to expect a permanent ban of their Neocron account or accounts. A permanent forum ban will also be imposed.

5. Is there a list of known exploits so I can check whether I am breaking the rules?
For security reasons a list of existing exploits will not be published. If you believe you are using an exploit please contact a Neocron Gamemaster for assistance. No one will be banned arbitrarily or without due cause.

Shooting enemies from a spot where you can not take any damage (known as safespots).

A drone is nothing else than another player character hull. A player controlled entity dealing damage and capable of taking damage.
If anyone didn't think the same rules apply to drones, this is a good time to rethink.

Now, before I get hammered by Nid for dropping the E-word on the forums, please do not see this as an invitation to discuss exploits.
It just seems that some rules need to be brought back to the attention and we shall see about making them more visible and clear (maybe not in this thread).

Sechs
24-09-12, 07:58
Lots of things.

You know, I really do appreciate it that I actually get a nice reply, so thanks. :P
Also, I do fully agree with your words, though what I meant was more about the actual clarification of when something in fact IS an exploit an when people seriously need to stfu.

Players, especially on titan, kinda went overboard on this and now everything is an exploit.
Your rank dropped to zero because you spent some points after a hard earned level up? Obviously an exploit, even though most players don't even notice.
You place your droner behind some crates, so he doesn't get in harms way when you're out in your little gadget?
Exploit!
Oh, did I mention killing your self or shooting at the floor? Also an exploit.
" ... where you can not take any damage ... " is often up to the perceiving players perspective and most people are quite retarded about it.
Now, if I'm 100% safe, sure, I'm exploiting, but what about 50%? What about taking cover?
Imho, it's natural to take cover in combat because only a retard would stand right in front of a chaos creeper army.
Well, that's kinda what most people demand.

It'd be okay if it stopped with them reporting you, but actually, it's more like continuous ingame harassment.
Not that I have a problem with it but it may get annoying over time.

So, as nice as those rules apply to a lot of stuff, they fail to deliver a *solid feeling of what is right and what is not*. (I know, but it's 8 am and I'm dead tired).

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

Also, in terms of fixing;
+ Invisible Walls/Boxes
- Fences.

But for now, good night.

Dark-Destroy
24-09-12, 08:32
Yeah currently a lot of stuff is an exploit. But you should know, that a lot of these exploits are not punished, because it's hard to decide if the person knows about the exploit and use it or how you said: "even though most players don't even notice." So the only way is to inform people about the issue with zero CR or other exploits. There are a few people who walks on the lazy way of exploit leveling and yeah currently the volunteers seems to be hard working on the technique of the servers and so on. So I hope patch 175 is coming soon or the server will be like Terra in a few weeks.

I hope some people get in mind, that the game is a cyberpunk game...there should no lazy way for anything u do ;)

PS: Little information to players which items gets stolen by persons who pose as members of LG. Please take a screenshot or movie and send them to report@last-generation.de

Ghostface_Speak
24-09-12, 08:35
Nowadays,you have to be scared to level anywhere since all it takes to get you into trouble are people going bonkers in any chatchannel or writing tickets which may or may not include ridiculous accusationa (like "Person XX is sploiting at Regants,OMGZ!!!" while this named person is in fact just leveling and the guy writing the ticket hates him/her)

This whole "Safespot" issue with droners will either lead to many many peeps banned,certain areas completely closed [el farid comes to mind] or droners not allowed anywhere.
Funfact: none of the above mentioned "workarounds" should be considered as a long-term solution for anything related so please, do not go into "we will fix it in 2 weeks maximum [but abandon the issue for 2 years]"-mode like with so many other things in the past,hmkay?

Thanks for keeping the game up and doing something but keep in mind that certain parts of the game are kinda borked,updating and adjusting the Ruleset would help a lot to prevent mistakes

L0KI
24-09-12, 09:11
...or shooting static NPCs from a spot outside the NPCs field of view. ...

Whilst I agree with almost all of your post, I have to question this. What about rifle spies out-ranging NPCs? I deliberately get out of range of NPCs, and continually walk backwards to remain out of range.

Mokoi
24-09-12, 09:48
Whilst I agree with almost all of your post, I have to question this. What about rifle spies out-ranging NPCs? I deliberately get out of range of NPCs, and continually walk backwards to remain out of range.

which is perfectly legit gameplay.

This whole "Safespot" issue with droners will either lead to many many peeps banned,certain areas completely closed [el farid comes to mind] or droners not allowed anywhere.
Funfact: none of the above mentioned "workarounds" should be considered as a long-term solution for anything related so please, do not go into "we will fix it in 2 weeks maximum [but abandon the issue for 2 years]"-mode like with so many other things in the past,hmkay?

We fix what we can, when we can. That is about as close of an ETA as we can offer. In the meantime we'll sanction the deliberate abuse of bugs.
Keep in mind that we have in recent weeks put up with a lot of work and some cost to ensure the survival of this game, not to piss you off, but because we care about this game and the community. Please do not hold us responsible for things of the past that are completely unrelated to the team of volunteers that now maintain NC 2.

Ghostface_Speak
24-09-12, 15:30
Keep in mind that we have in recent weeks put up with a lot of work and some cost to ensure the survival of this game, not to piss you off, but because we care about this game and the community. Please do not hold us responsible for things of the past that are completely unrelated to the team of volunteers that now maintain NC 2.
Please,do not get me wrong,my intention was not to suggest that the active Team is pissing anyone off or is responsible for anything that happend in the past.We all are in your guys debt for doing this/keeping the rock rolling,no questions asked.

Read my post again without thinking i wanted to offend and you see that its more about hope [that it will get better soon-ish] & beeing scared [about the support leading into a certain,well known direction].

flib
24-09-12, 18:56
Honestly, drones should just be removed from the game.

McDogghammer
24-09-12, 22:51
Honestly, drones should just be removed from the game.

u should just be removed. Droners belong to Neocron like all other Classes. Yes there are Bugs and Exploits but not only Droners can use them, there are many Bugs where u can Exploit with every Class. If u remove Drones u can remove everything because they are a part from the Game like everything

Dropout
25-09-12, 00:39
If u remove Drones u can remove everything because they are a part from the Game like everything

:wtf:

flib
25-09-12, 01:31
u should just be removed. Droners belong to Neocron like all other Classes. Yes there are Bugs and Exploits but not only Droners can use them, there are many Bugs where u can Exploit with every Class. If u remove Drones u can remove everything because they are a part from the Game like everything

Hey, fuck you, buddy. I never insulted you.

Demental
25-09-12, 20:09
It's like every time I play the servers are down for 3 hours for maint, or they're down because something screwed up. No love for the US, rofl

dWintermut3
29-09-12, 05:06
My only problem is that sometimes because of the nature of NC's engine it's not really obvious if you are doing something wrong or not.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I've had to ask more than a few times.

Hell one person told me that "safespotting" meant a droner (and only a droner) putting their body in an area mobs don't spawn!

The "don't discuss or acknowlege exploits" policy is problematic because almost everyone knows about them anyway, but it's impossible to get official, accurate information about whether something is an exploit, a quirk, a bug of a feature.

When you have mobs that legit can't hit the broad side of a barn and are easy to dodge the attacks of (I'm thinking Butchee here), mobs that glitch and won't shoot you but if you don't kill them then an un-bugged mob won't spawn (launchers that suddenly start humping air), actual exploits, and perfectly legitimate tactics (stashing your meat body behind some crates while you drone) all going on in the same place confusion reigns.

I understand the "beans in your ears" concept (don't tell kids not to do something they might never have thought of, because now you've given them the idea) but in this case we've all heard about the beans already.