PDA

View Full Version : Old models?

Mizore
09-08-12, 09:23
Hey guys, just a quick question: Is there any possibility to use the Neocron 1 Character models in Neocron 2? Well, I don't really like the "new" ones... they just don't fit in my opinion. Always wondered whether there is a legal model exchanger or something like this.
If not: Please think about implementing this feature in NC: Reloaded. :)

Mokoi
09-08-12, 10:54
There is no legit way of replacing character models or most other game assets.
There are very few exceptions that allow you to edit parts of the client, e.g. the HUD, and I strongly advice anyone not to taper with his/her client beyond this, for we will have to shut down your account otherwise.

supaz
09-08-12, 11:15
honestly new models are why i don't play anymore ...

Dark-Destroy
09-08-12, 11:36
If it's really the only reason u don't play anymore, u would not a bit deserved to play anymore

Mizore
09-08-12, 16:25
If it's really the only reason u don't play anymore, u would not a bit deserved to play anymore

Maybe it's not a reason to stop playing Neocron but imho the new models just look and feel wrong. Just compare the old tank models with the new ones: You can't (really) distinguish between the classes by simply looking at the player model. In the old times a tank was muscular and bulky, the spy looked mysterious, the monks had their robes and the PE just looked badass.
Okay, the new models have more polygons... but that's it. They all look kind of the same to me. :/

Faid
09-08-12, 16:33
lol those "new models" are like 8 yrs old :p

Chuck Norris
10-08-12, 04:31
Maybe it's not a reason to stop playing Neocron but imho the new models just look and feel wrong. Just compare the old tank models with the new ones: You can't (really) distinguish between the classes by simply looking at the player model. In the old times a tank was muscular and bulky, the spy looked mysterious, the monks had their robes and the PE just looked badass.
Okay, the new models have more polygons... but that's it. They all look kind of the same to me. :/

Those polygons make them bug out constantly with theyre elongated jaws backward torses and broken arms..... looks god fucking awful... alot worse then the old models

Sechs
10-08-12, 08:04
I was working on a patch, to a point where I only had to fix the weapons position but then the banwave happened, so my Account is now locked for a couple thousand days. Also, I didn't really touch player models at the time. Obviously not blaming you guys (since it was my own choice to modify client files) but seriously, every single person I showed this to said he/she would be really happy to use it. The 'new' models really don't fit the overall look, so... maybe in a future patch...? :P

Edit: Also, learning how the gui texturing works was a serious pain in the ass. :D

kane
10-08-12, 12:02
I was working on a patch, to a point where I only had to fix the weapons position but then the banwave happened, so my Account is now locked for a couple thousand days. Also, I didn't really touch player models at the time. Obviously not blaming you guys (since it was my own choice to modify client files) but seriously, every single person I showed this to said he/she would be really happy to use it. The 'new' models really don't fit the overall look, so... maybe in a future patch...? :P

Edit: Also, learning how the gui texturing works was a serious pain in the ass. :D

Doing something for the community! Damn right you get banned ;)

Morpheus
10-08-12, 12:12
lol those "new models" are like 8 yrs old :p

they ARE almost 8 years old by now..

MrTrip
10-08-12, 13:26
Hey guys, just a quick question: Is there any possibility to use the Neocron 1 Character models in Neocron 2? Well, I don't really like the "new" ones... they just don't fit in my opinion. Always wondered whether there is a legal model exchanger or something like this.
If not: Please think about implementing this feature in NC: Reloaded. :)

The old models lack a lot of animations...

they don't have animations for psi or some new gestures that should be animated like the new models

warbots look like the guy from that iron giant movie or something, but they also have kind of poor animations, they would make a bad choice as a playermodel

Mizore
10-08-12, 16:55
The old models lack a lot of animations...
they don't have animations for psi or some new gestures that should be animated like the new models

As I remember they don't really lack animations. The 'new' "let's-throw-the-hands-into-the-air-like-a-crazy-chicken"-PSI-attack-animation was a simple "focus-the-target"-animation back then. Maybe there are some missing animations but I don't think that these animations are linked to the models? Let's start a petition for an "old model option" in NC:Reloaded.

Dribble Joy
10-08-12, 17:08
As I remember they don't really lack animations. The 'new' "let's-throw-the-hands-into-the-air-like-a-crazy-chicken"-PSI-attack-animation was a simple "focus-the-target"-animation back then. Maybe there are some missing animations but I don't think that these animations are linked to the models?
They are also missing most, if not almost all, of the emotes.

Let's start a petition for an "old model option" in NC:Reloaded.
Or..... new models in the style of the old?

The old models might have had the right feel/atmosphere, but there are awful for any game beyond 2000. They're presumably updating the zones, so I don't see why this can't include the player models.

Mizore
10-08-12, 17:24
The old models might have had the right feel/atmosphere, but there are awful for any game beyond 2000. They're presumably updating the zones, so I don't see why this can't include the player models.

I guess they won't be updating the textures of the environment. The old models just fit better into the environment.
Well, if they are really willing to update the environmental graphics new models will be just fine. Don't know how much work and money they want to spend into the new Neocron...

Btw. the old emotes also were greater than the new ones. I just remember the emote when you typed in "gm". Ahh, good times! :)

Paulitious_Rae
10-08-12, 21:26

I hope they don't update the zones too much. I like that Neocron runs on my Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family laptop :S

Apocalypsox
10-08-12, 21:30
Old models look cheap. Happy with the new ones. Would be nice to see all of Neocron brought up to a more modern standard in terms of models.

Sechs
10-08-12, 23:29
Doing something for the community! Damn right you get banned ;)

It's cool. :)
You can't just let people modify their defs.
Though it's a shame in terms of models and sounds.

warbots look like the guy from that iron giant movie or something

Oh, you mean this pretty girl right here?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PD_786x0UiY/Tp6wN0eUIKI/AAAAAAAABd0/krWYZM2QVTg/s1600/ABC_Warrior_Robot.jpg

Because that's obviously from Judge Dredd. :D

Dribble Joy
11-08-12, 00:15
Doing something for the community is different from ignoring it's rules.

Updating the player models would be great, but not including the powers that be is naive at best, and arrogant at worst.

Redo the models if you wish, but submit them to the people running the game first in order to gain acceptance from the beginning rather than simply expect them to be accepted by virtue of their nature.

Trivaldi
11-08-12, 01:33
I do feel the need to re-stress the points made in this announcement (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?145425-Important-Information-Filecheck-amp-Client-Modifications). With the exception of RPOS graphic files, client modifications be they cosmetic or otherwise, are not permitted and will result in your account being banned.

Dru Blood
11-08-12, 14:16
Old models were the best, and still are. You see many old models around in game used by NPC's players could potentialy use them should KK allow it with a patch.

firstnorthstar
11-08-12, 15:08
Old models were the best, and still are. You see many old models around in game used by NPC's players could potentialy use them should KK allow it with a patch.
indeed!

Farril
11-08-12, 15:18
Heya,

I know a lot wants the old models back for nostalgica and personal taste. But that is not - as you seem to assume - done with simply enabling the models again in the defs.

Once enabled in the defs, the Outfitesr have to be adjusted, the animations have to be extended, the attachments have to be corrected, the char creation would have to be redone and a not so small amount of bugs with them needs to be fixed (i.e. the ever rotating upper bodies, invisible portraits in the login, etc)

The GM Model is one of the old ones and it often causes troubles when used with the new layer model system. (ie. resetting/vanishing, head/body missmatch) Sure, the new ones are also not perfect i.e. the giant lip.

But I think for something that is personal taste we should not introduce more problems.

And on a personal side. I do not think that the horde of clone black chars with a big butt looking like ninja do really fit better into NC. We always had a lot of runners choose advantage (in beeing badly visible/noticeable) over look and feel.

Dru Blood
11-08-12, 18:06
Still they should be brought back with a patch, orignal models were Cyber Punk the new models are Sci-Fi they don't fit.

Dark-Destroy
11-08-12, 18:11
Okay, let's try to find a compromise. Find someone who create new models in cyberpunk style :P

Dru Blood
11-08-12, 18:12
Nice! I agree!

Chuck Norris
11-08-12, 23:14
Still they should be brought back with a patch, orignal models were Cyber Punk the new models are Sci-Fi they don't fit.

Exactly think shadowrun not firefly :((( and the HUD omg please this abomination must go

Setlec
12-08-12, 02:08
wouldn't be easier to add the old skins on the new models instead of reimplementing the old models? Just a thought.

Doc Holliday
12-08-12, 07:24
If you had an artist and a coder who could do replications of the "old" models that could work. Redesigned and brought up to date with those styles in mind. I think thats what farril is saying, that and the fact they cant just let players use the old model skins because of all the problems.

LiL T
13-08-12, 18:31
I also hate the new models, the female PE and female monk look like little girls, the tank is hardly different than the PE except the female tank model, the new models also appear to be too small and their hands looks strange.

To sum it up the new models look like space cadets and the old models looked badass

Dropout
17-08-12, 03:33
Sorry for bumping this, but the old models were horrible..
We need to move forward, NOT backwards! In time I hope to see all models ingame getting "up to date".
I dont say that the current models are good, but they are a lot better than the old ones.

yavimaya
17-08-12, 04:38
We need to move forward, NOT backwards! In time I hope to see all models ingame getting "up to date".
I dont say that the current models are good, but they are a lot better than the old ones.

We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

flib
17-08-12, 08:16

If your limited definition of 'better' is having a higher poly count/texture resolution, then yes, you are correct.

Dropout
17-08-12, 16:58
If your limited definition of 'better' is having a higher poly count/texture resolution, then yes, you are correct.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. The old models looked like something from the 1980's (obviously exaggerating, but you get what Im saying).

=REMUS=
17-08-12, 23:42
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. The old models looked like something from the 1980's (obviously exaggerating, but you get what Im saying).

I personally think the older models looked better and moved more naturally.

Faid
18-08-12, 07:22
wow are we really still talking about this...

=REMUS=
18-08-12, 13:39
wow are we really still talking about this...

Quite evidently... yes, some of us haven't been around allot so you'll have to forgive this indulgence.

flib
18-08-12, 23:33
The design and style of the old ones better embodied the classes they represented and were actually cool and distinct. If they had just updated the original models with higher poly count and higher res textures, then that would definitely have been better, but instead, someone said, "hey, let's make generic dipshit looking models!"

Setlec
19-08-12, 02:13
The design and style of the old ones better embodied the classes they represented and were actually cool and distinct. If they had just updated the original models with higher poly count and higher res textures, then that would definitely have been better, but instead, someone said, "hey, let's make generic dipshit looking models!"

lol my thoughts actually!

flib
19-08-12, 04:05
>_> No offense to anyone whose idea it was other than 10Tacle's.

Demental
19-08-12, 23:55
I have to say the old models fit the games feel and atmosphere so much better than the new retarded ones. Not knocking the work whoever put in on em, but the old models looked good and rough. Like they were ready to fight, and belonged in a cyber punk blade runner world. New ones were goofy gumby chars that looked like they belonged in a bad animated childrens cartoon. I'd love to see new models based off the original set added at one point in time. That would certainly help keep new players playing since a lot of gamers now'days care about games look/feel. Neocron has such an amazing and unique enviroment and it's ruined by the cartoon gumby avatars. Ruins immersion big time

LiL T
20-08-12, 13:59
Yes.

Old models should have been updated but now we have these newer models and are stuck with those till someone creative can make new models complete with animations.

I don't really mind the new models, I've gotten use to them, I do however hate the monks casting animation like WTF is that all about? It looks retarded...