PDA

View Full Version : Neocron on the OUYA

Paulitious_Rae
25-07-12, 13:37
Howdy all,

is anyone else following the development of the OUYA (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console) console? I'm a backer on Kickstarter, though I'm cautiously optimistic. I've been concurrently keeping an eye on Reakktor's Neocron Reloaded (http://www.nukklear.com/#en/_Neocron_Reloaded) site, and it has got me wondering:

Could Neocron (Reloaded or otherwise) work on the OUYA console, which is powered by Android, and would anyone in this community be interested in seeing this happen, if it meant breathing new life into Neocron's development and the community in general?

I'm aware that both Nukklear and Reakktor are doing something at the moment, so this is more idle speculation than a genuine suggestion, but I still thought it worth discussing.

Setlec
25-07-12, 13:42
as a PC gamer, i can't even imagine how NC would work on a console, I'm not talking about 3d engine and alike, I'm talking about the controls and gameplay. you can't replace a keyboard+mouse with a gamepad.

enigma_b17
25-07-12, 13:47
fyi: Reakktor is Nukklear (sort of anyway) :)

I'm a PC gamer, I think i'm actually physically incapable of using those stupid frigging joysticks for a fps. NC is and always has been a PC game, its the best place for it, the keys, shortcuts...you just can't do that on a console.
Having said that if they port it over to a console and some how manage it so that everyone connects to the same server (i.e. those on pc and console connect and play in the same world), then it could be worth it as there's no harm in expanding the player base...however if you are talking about completely switching from pc to console then I would defo say no!

Sechs
25-07-12, 14:07
Having said that if they port it over to a console and some how manage it so that everyone connects to the same server (i.e. those on pc and console connect and play in the same world), then it could be worth it as there's no harm in expanding the player base ...

You can't just put those two elements in a mixer and expect something nice to come out of it...
I mean, you'd have to implement a LOT of stuff just to create the smallest amount of balance between the two groups.
As you said, a Keypad can't replace a Keyboard/Mouse combination. For most people, it will simply not be as acurate.
Having said that, I could definitely see a console game based in the same universe, one that focuses more on the fps element.
You could still implement implants, drugs and the like, but on a console-like level.
Depending on the approach, I don't see a single element that couldn't be 'ported', it would just not be as 'rpg', as the real neocron.
Crafting for example, would become some sort of gimmick, implants are automatically implanted by medical service bots... whatever.

But you know, fantasies. :p

Paulitious_Rae
25-07-12, 14:11
fyi: Reakktor is Nukklear (sort of anyway) :)

Thank you for clearing that up. I can't deny I found it a little confusing. Why is there a seperate website for each then, and what is the deal with the Reakktor progress bar (still at 20%, I see)?

I'm a PC gamer, I think i'm actually physically incapable of using those stupid frigging joysticks for a fps. NC is and always has been a PC game, its the best place for it, the keys, shortcuts...you just can't do that on a console.
Having said that if they port it over to a console and some how manage it so that everyone connects to the same server (i.e. those on pc and console connect and play in the same world), then it could be worth it as there's no harm in expanding the player base...however if you are talking about completely switching from pc to console then I would defo say no!

I completely agree with the interface being a huge obstacle in the event of porting to a console. However, I would imagine, due to some of the OUYA's other capabilities, it will be compatible with a Keyboard & muse to some degree, at some point. O course, I'm merely playing Devil's Advocate here. For the most part, I agree with you.

enigma_b17
25-07-12, 15:06
@Sechs, all I was saying is that if you could figure out some way to integrate them it would be a way to expand the player base. :)
Yep agree with you! :)

Basically...Reakktor were declared insolvent so most of the team behind reakktor created nukklear :P
That's how I understand it anyway

Before you do any of that NC needs a serious over-haul or there's no point, cause if someone new looks at games like NC and then compares them to say WoW, or PS2 they aren't going to choose NC.

Paulitious_Rae
25-07-12, 17:41
@Sechs, all I was saying is that if you could figure out some way to integrate them it would be a way to expand the player base. :)

You're not wrong. My bggest complaint with Neocron was the difficulty I've experienced integrating myself into the community, in-game and out, and how laborious it can be for friends I've recommended the game to. Bringing some fresh meat in would be great (and healthy), I think.

Basically...Reakktor were declared insolvent so most of the team behind reakktor created nukklear :P
That's how I understand it anyway

So, would I be correct in assuming that the Reakktor(.com) progress bar and the development of Neocron Reloaded are intrinsically linked?

Before you do any of that NC needs a serious over-haul or there's no point, cause if someone new looks at games like NC and then compares them to say WoW, or PS2 they aren't going to choose NC.

Wouldn't they? I was first introduced to Neocron in 2005 (I think) and have been coming back to it ever since. If there were more information and support readily available for interested people, I still think Neocron would draw in a committed fan-base.

That was sort of my thinking in regards to the OUYA console. The community growing around it seems to be comprised of lots of game developers and informed individuals who support games which are immersive and innovative (like Neocron). There seems to be a potentially untapped wealth of people who could give Reakktor/Nukklear the support it needs to keep Neocron an ever-evolving creature. Maybe.

enigma_b17
25-07-12, 17:55
You're not wrong. My bggest complaint with Neocron was the difficulty I've experienced integrating myself into the community, in-game and out, and how laborious it can be for friends I've recommended the game to. Bringing some fresh meat in would be great (and healthy), I think.
Completed Agreed, aslong as they don't go favoring one over the other. Anyway that's just dream land, as chances of them being able integrate a pc and console environment are quite unlikely.

So, would I be correct in assuming that the Reakktor(.com) progress bar and the development of Neocron Reloaded are intrinsically linked?
I could be wrong, but I don't think that bar has anything to do with NCR...don't hold me to that though lol

Wouldn't they? I was first introduced to Neocron in 2005 (I think) and have been coming back to it ever since. If there were more information and support readily available for interested people, I still think Neocron would draw in a committed fan-base.
Nope, you might get the odd one or two who crawl over, but unless you get stuck into it...I mean graphics are out-dated, barely anybody playing it, no communication from the dev's in regards to what's going on, it's the 3 big killers for a game (I know that the current devs are trying, but it's still one of the issues)

Sechs
25-07-12, 18:44
They are not linked and the teams operate on their own terms.
It's funny because you'd think there would be SOME sort of cooperation, but there seems to be none.
Afaik, Kirk just spends his time babbling about NC3, keeping his nose out of NC2.
Mostly, anyway.

flib
25-07-12, 20:22
I've seen this Ouya console, and it looks pretty cool. I'm hopeful that it will be successful to at least some degree, because the current state of game consoles sucks!

Neocron: Reloaded on the Ouya would be quite doable in my opinion. The interface would need to be customized for controller-use, but the game itself could remain exactly the same.
You'd never have the amount of control and precision that you would have with keyboard and mouse, so it wouldn't be a platform for hardcore PVPers, but I think it would work fine for everything else the game can do.

Paulitious_Rae
25-07-12, 22:06
Neocron: Reloaded on the Ouya would be quite doable in my opinion. The interface would need to be customized for controller-use, but the game itself could remain exactly the same.
You'd never have the amount of control and precision that you would have with keyboard and mouse, so it wouldn't be a platform for hardcore PVPers, but I think it would work fine for everything else the game can do.

I agree. I've often speculated as to whether it would be possible to map an Xbox 360 controller to Neocron. Also, due to the "open" nature of the OUYA console, I don't think it would be too difficult to implement a Keyboard & Mouse for specific games. the OUYA development team seem to be very committed to keeping the OUYA joypad-based, but developers will hopefully have free reign to create whatever additions they deem necessary.

Farril
25-07-12, 22:46
I think the Ouya does not have much of a future.
There were other Open Source Consoles which all did underperform. I.e. the Pandora or GP2X

As it is "just" an andorid box it will lack of some really lowtech but very helping hardware enhancements. Many of the things like multilayered tile systems and sprite support can be done by the OpenGL ES interface too but with a good amount of overhead in development and power consumption. Both are very crucial resources on a mobile gaming consoles.

If you ever had the luck to take a look in the Nintendo SDK i.e. you have a very ... proprietary (to not say ugly) ... code but you can start and make a simple game in like 5 minutes because you have everything at hand, a pseudo-exclusive access and nothing to worry about consuming performance outside your game.

So it is not likely to have some leading games, for which you need the console, you ant or are made wanting to play, like ridge racer made us for the PS.

And then as a customer, why not just play on phone or tablet you already have?