PDA

View Full Version : [Terra] Server Problems?

Trilaac
17-06-12, 12:18
Soo.. I notice the servers are down again.. how's things?

To preserve our legacy.. I would ask, what is the possiblity of getting a copy of the server system in case KK ever close the game (god forbid)?

I recently stripped some stuff out of a datacentre and could run it for a few people if it dies (a few people being the ENTIRE population Terra :P).

Trivaldi
17-06-12, 12:46
All the servers are online at the moment

If you're trying to connect without a modified updater.ini (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=145151) you won't be able to connect.

Mokoi
17-06-12, 13:48
To preserve our legacy.. I would ask, what is the possiblity of getting a copy of the server system in case KK ever close the game (god forbid)?

I recently stripped some stuff out of a datacentre and could run it for a few people if it dies (a few people being the ENTIRE population Terra :P).

1. Currently there is a well staffed team of NC vets looking after the game and while the aftermath of the Reakktor meltdown has somewhat crippled the existing infrastructure, we are doing our best to have everything restored to guarantee a good and stable environment here. It is a tedious process as some important issues we cannot deal with ourselves for lack of access, but I am confident we will get there again.

2. Neocron is privately owned IP and as such it should be treated. Distributing or running a Neocron gameserver that is not authorized by the entity holding rights to said IP, is against the law and I think Kirk has made it very clear that he does not want you to steal his property.

3. Legal aspects aside, fragmenting the community really won't do us any good. I know it can be frustrating to see how slow some things progress, but I urge you to be patient and keep up your support of this great community that has evolved over more than a decade now.

Short answer to your question: No.

Trilaac
03-07-12, 21:01
2. Neocron is privately owned IP and as such it should be treated. Distributing or running a Neocron gameserver that is not authorized by the entity holding rights to said IP, is against the law and I think Kirk has made it very clear that he does not want you to steal his property.

there was not, at any point, any mention of stealing it. I asked if the company would give/sell/gift a copy IF things went really bad.

Short answer to your question: No.

this was not the answer I was expecting, especially since the original question was
what is the possiblity of getting a copy of the server system and not "can I have" but thanks for your feedback.

I am also aware of the community that still supports the game, after all these years. Having been, and still being, part of that community.

Mokoi
03-07-12, 21:55
this was not the answer I was expecting...

Sorry Trilaac.

Reading my reply again, I feel that I should clarify that my rather harsh answer was not directed at you personally and more related to people who feel the urge to start private parties alongside the official gig.

We all share a love for this game and it's community and have a mutual interest in keeping it afloat and to go beyond that: work on improving the situation.

A better answer to your very question may have been, that in the forseeable future there is simply no need for " ... the possiblity of getting a copy of the server system in case ...".

Best regards,
-M

Trilaac
03-07-12, 23:16
related to people who feel the urge to start private parties alongside the official gig.

oh, I wasn't talking about doing it /alongside/ the official servers. I was talking contingency protocol if the the worst happens. As in, life support, as it were. After all, it's who you know that often gets things done, and I know people with equipment and the means to keep the legacy alive :D

Biglines
04-07-12, 02:31
F: Alternative revenue models

2. Will you make the game open source if you have no longer wish to run it yourself?

Yupp. But there are still plans. ;)

(both the yupp, and the fact that there are still plans are good I think ;) )
from: http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=2179152&postcount=12

Trilaac
04-07-12, 19:13
thanks Biglines. I had heard rumours, but noone could show me that he actually said it.