PDA

View Full Version : diablo 3

Biglines
20-05-12, 13:51
so, let's talk about the huge pink elephant in the room ;)

you guys all playing it obsessively and thats why it's so quiet on here? :p

I just entered act II, I'm loving the game a lot with my monk.

Drachenpaladin
20-05-12, 14:01
so, let's talk about the huge pink elephant in the room ;)

you guys all playing it obsessively and thats why it's so quiet on here? :p

I just entered act II, I'm loving the game a lot with my monk.

D1 and 2 where before my time and thus i never got hooked by the overhype of D3...
So, D3? Meh.

flib
20-05-12, 15:18
D1 and 2 where before my time and thus i never got hooked by the overhype of D3...
So, D3? Meh.
Same.

MadMeleeFreak
20-05-12, 15:24
I'm done doing normal with my wizard. I like that the scenery is changing more often and faster than in D2. Also that you don't have to grind through four levels in EACH dungeon. I hated that the most in D2 being stuck in the same place for felt ages.

Sadly this design also leads to the greatest letdown for me: With 24 Hours for a runthrough doing ALL conversation's, exploring every corner of each dungeon and region and listening to all the lore it felt awfully short.

Other than that I was relieved that the look and feel are undoubtedly Diablo. The feeling was back right that moment when the installer started and played the familiar music.

I hope nightmare is more of a challenge though.

Oh and i have to say the obligatory: I hate to be forced online even when playing the game single player style. It just sucks. Especially because the servers are far from being stable at prime times.

Biglines
20-05-12, 15:36
Just wondering why you consider it an overhype? I mean, it's only hyped by people who liked the original, and aside from the online issues, it's the general consensus that if you like 1 and 2, 3 is a very good game. How can it have been overhyped?

I mean, duke nukem forever was overhyped because hardly anyone had played the original, yet the incredible media hype around it made it sound awesome, and then it turned out to be a really badly made game.

For d2, the popularity even today was one of the biggest online games that weren't mmo, kept people buying and playing for years, and almost every person that played it at the time, thought it was one of the best experiences in a game.

Of course I don't think it's a game for everyone, but I don't think it was ever hyped up to be anything more than a very advanced, improved sequel, and it seems that even by nostalgic measures it has lived up to its past. So why overhyped? the people doing the hyping are the ones that loved it in the past, and love it now.

Drachenpaladin
20-05-12, 15:50
Just wondering why you consider it an overhype?
Don't hang up on that little word :rolleyes:
But afaik the game broke records for pre-orders and stuff... thats a pretty big hype for yet another fantasy-click and slay-rpg... :wtf:
As far as i can see D3 doesn't do anything better or innovative - except for the graphics where advancement is only naturally - so the hype comes only from the anticipation and the quality of the prequels.
So much fuss for just another fantasy-game seems pretty exaggerated to me.

MadMeleeFreak
20-05-12, 16:18
Well frankly after D2 except for graphics there was hardly anything that really could be improved without turning it into something completely different than being a hack'n'slay action RPG. That's why except for maybe Torchlight (but there the cheap price played a big role) nothing could even remotely repeat D2's success. Even D3 has yet to prove that it is the better, thus more liked game.

Michael Corvin
20-05-12, 18:07
I like the new Diablo... it's a consequent sequel.

I able to relate to players whose never played part 1 & 2 and expect "more" because it's a big name. Maybe the classic Hack'n'Slay gameplay is to oldsch00l for the current generation of players but there's no way to make it more "State of the Art" without loosing diablos nature.

Thumbs up 4 D3!

btw. i play a Demon Hunter in "singleplayer" and a Monk for "multiplayer" (i like it to seperate Chars for Solo and Teamplay to stay in same Progress with my mates) and I just entered Act 2

Chuck Norris
20-05-12, 18:40
Great game, noob mode where it forces you to take certain abilities is annoying took me a while to figure out how to turn it off.. No potion spam /qq going to be tough for barbarian even with all their hp outs. Loving no stupid scrolls, alot of stuff just seems so much more streamlined!

Having to make random gear/weapons is kind of annoying instead of hitting lucky random vendor jackpots.

Yes it does seem short, but tbh these days most people wouldnt want to grind through the d2 experience again, aside from hardcores.

Hopefully theyll just continually milk us for expensive/frequent DLC's

Biglines
20-05-12, 18:56
tbh, 24 hours of content, while a lot less than d2, is far more than almost any game that has come out in the past few years. And like chuck says, they'll probably release dlc acts.

And at least to me, the "content" in d2 while taking longer than 24 hours, was in most cases a lot less interesting than d3 has been for me so far (When I can fucking login... whole day battle.net has been down for me). And considering how much more expensive content is to create these days, I'm not too pissed at "only" 24 hours of it.

@drachenpalladin, hmm, I wasn't so much hanging on your word, but been getting that in a few places. All those pre-orders I bet were 99% people who loved d2, so it wasn't a hype, it was simply anticipation for people who wanted a game.

You say "yet another hack n slash rpg", but aside from the cheap torchlight, and possibly some japanese stuff, there haven't been any high quality games like diablo since diablo 2. So yes, expecting finally a good game after so long is kind of likely to generate anticipation.

Kanedax
21-05-12, 06:04
This mother fucking D3 downloader has taken for fucking ever. Shit is bogus. However, once it finishes, I shall play until my eyeballs shrivel up and fall out. FTW

MadMeleeFreak
21-05-12, 11:10
This mother fucking D3 downloader has taken for fucking ever. Shit is bogus. However, once it finishes, I shall play until my eyeballs shrivel up and fall out. FTW
Try opening the needed incoming ports and activate Peer-to-Peer connections. It will easily swallow all of your bandwidth if you configure your local network correctly.

Powerpunsh
22-05-12, 02:17
The game is quite funny. I like the feeling of crushing down the whole environment and monsters. Its the way a hero should act in a game. If there wouldnt be a latency of like 250-300ms it would be possible to dodge most of the enemies attacks and wouldnt make me die that much. :(

Have some of you already been in the "secret level? Its so much fun. :D

Strife
22-05-12, 05:14
Maybe you e-hang in different circles, but I've not seen ANY hype for this game in the least.

I enjoyed D2, but i'm not nearly as much of a fan of the series as many others, and I really enjoy it. It's close enough to the original where there are some improvements without it trying to redefine the entire series(i.e Rainbow Six going from tactical shooter to CoD SP clone(yes bitter))

The game world feels kind of meh at the start, but each act I feel it gradually gets better. Starting out all I could think of is that D2 did the world better. After finishing the game on normal, no complaints.

they'll probably release dlc actsI don't know, that doesn't really seem Blizzard's style. Could be wrong though, if WoW is any indication they really love to shake out as much money as they can from their customers.

Kanedax
22-05-12, 19:55
They have two expansions planned. The game is great. Playing a monk. I'll toss my battle.net id up here after work incase any of you chumps are ever looking for someone to slay demons with.

zii
22-05-12, 21:29
So, D3? Meh.

D1 was certainly during my time, so why would I play D3 ;P

Kanedax
23-05-12, 00:44
Get at me bros.

Kanedax#1246

CoreInsanity
23-05-12, 09:54
I've been playing the game, I love it. The only thing I dislike is the aforementioned forced online play. I think it's stupid, though we have the real money auction house to thank for that (I can give you a wall of text as to why anything else isn't the real reason).

I didn't like the story, and don't think it's as good as the past ones. However, it wasn't bad. I hear people complaining about the story, or how it's repetitive, but I mean that's the game. Blizzard never attempted to mislead saying it was a heavily-story based RPG. It's a dungeon crawler where the focus is on the combat game play(+coop) and loot.

The first few days of release were horrible, massive latency spikes / disconnects and just general server outages due to either downtime/bugs or them being overloaded. But, at least for me, it has become much more stable (Though it's still not the 50 - 60ms latency I would be getting if I were allowed to run this over my VPN to coop :/)

Just wondering why you consider it an overhype? I mean, it's only hyped by people who liked the original, and aside from the online issues, it's the general consensus that if you like 1 and 2, 3 is a very good game. How can it have been overhyped?

I mean, duke nukem forever was overhyped because hardly anyone had played the original, yet the incredible media hype around it made it sound awesome, and then it turned out to be a really badly made game.

For d2, the popularity even today was one of the biggest online games that weren't mmo, kept people buying and playing for years, and almost every person that played it at the time, thought it was one of the best experiences in a game.

Of course I don't think it's a game for everyone, but I don't think it was ever hyped up to be anything more than a very advanced, improved sequel, and it seems that even by nostalgic measures it has lived up to its past. So why overhyped? the people doing the hyping are the ones that loved it in the past, and love it now.

Agreed. I don't think it's over-hyped at all. To be honest, I don't recall hearing much about it beyond what I went out of my way to look into.

I don't know, that doesn't really seem Blizzard's style. Could be wrong though, if WoW is any indication they really love to shake out as much money as they can from their customers.

Hence the RMAH. Honestly that's the only reason it's online. More people online = exposing more people to it. They get a cut off of every sale in the RMAH.

MadMeleeFreak
23-05-12, 10:06
As far as I remember they always said they were not going to offer an offline single player mode because they wanted the players to able to trade those items in the AH too and because of the piracy thing. Well the piracy argument doesn't count obviously. So you'Re right they do it because of the AH but looking at their forums it could shoot back. I for one am so pissed off by the server performance I won't get any expansions or DLCs so long they do not offer me an offline mode. There's enough other games to play. I just heard about Mortal online and am thinking about giving it a try.

CoreInsanity
23-05-12, 10:11
As far as I remember they always said they were not going to offer an offline single player mode because they wanted the players to able to trade those items in the AH too and because of the piracy thing. Well the piracy argument doesn't count obviously. So you'Re right they do it because of the AH but looking at their forums it could shoot back. I for one am so pissed off by the server performance I won't get any expansions or DLCs so long they do not offer me an offline mode. There's enough other games to play. I just heard about Mortal online and am thinking about giving it a try.

More so, it's the real-money AH that they are interested in. Players were able to trade just fine in the past.

danmalone
23-05-12, 15:03
Get at me bros.

Kanedax#1246

I added you last night :)

I'm on my 3rd playthrough now (which means Hell difficulty) on my Witch Doctor which is not far from 52... it's so addictive.

I heard that the melee classes will have a tough time when it comes round to Inferno as the gold and blue mobs will just one shot people. Whether it's true I'm not sure. Seem's unfair if it's biased towards ranged classes really so I suspect it was BS that I heard :P

I play most nights when I'm not seeing the GF :cool:

Chuck Norris
23-05-12, 15:18
many people already play this as a full time job keep that in mind, also if there was offline play duping would be amazingly easier

Kanedax
23-05-12, 15:48
I added you last night :)

I'm on my 3rd playthrough now (which means Hell difficulty) on my Witch Doctor which is not far from 52... it's so addictive.

I heard that the melee classes will have a tough time when it comes round to Inferno as the gold and blue mobs will just one shot people. Whether it's true I'm not sure. Seem's unfair if it's biased towards ranged classes really so I suspect it was BS that I heard :P

I play most nights when I'm not seeing the GF :cool:

I've heard similar things. Thats why I'm building my monk heavily on dodging.

MadMeleeFreak
23-05-12, 16:06
many people already play this as a full time job keep that in mind, also if there was offline play duping would be amazingly easier

Who cares for duped items in offline single player. Just don't allow those items to be traded or the chars to be used online. It's all solvable. The devs chose not to. Diablo allways also had a big fanbase of singleplayer and LAN fans. And the people from this party are right to be upset when they can't play the game because blizzard forces them online and then is unable to deliver stable service.

After what happened to UBI with Silent Hunter and Assassins Creed one would think the industry would have learned the lesson by now, that forcing players to be constantly online for single-player gameplay is a bad idea.

Faid
23-05-12, 16:34
It's really quite simple: They don't want anyone playing offline because that limits their potential customers for their real money AH.

CoreInsanity
23-05-12, 18:03

Doesn't matter. What they should have done was have an offline singleplayer / LAN coop, and then the multiplayer online game. The characters would be non-transferable between multiplayer and the lan/singleplayer (Including items/achievements/etc). That solves the problem on cheating where you should actually give a crap if I'm cheating (That being multiplayer). You shouldn't care if I cheat on singleplayer / LAN coop. If I'm not mistaken, it was like this on D2. Open b.net / Closed b.net, the problem was their security on closed sucked iirc.

I'm never going to use the RMAH, I could care less. I could never justify spending real money (Even if it is $1-$5) on an item in a game. I barely justify doing that for DLC.

Also the RMAH isn't even out yet, so if they are they aren't getting paid.

@Faid: Pretty much what I said earlier. That's the only logical reason for this. It's lame, but that's why it's there.

Biglines
23-05-12, 20:12
tbh I have no problem with p2w or drm, as long as it doesn't bother me. So having to be online I have no problem with (I love inviting a mate to just jump into my game). The only problem I have is when the drm makes it impossible to play (like when either the login servers are down or the world servers are slow as fuck).

Kanedax
23-05-12, 20:20
Maybe the always online drm is a subtle conspiracy aimed at making us go outside!

CoreInsanity
23-05-12, 20:20
tbh I have no problem with p2w or drm, as long as it doesn't bother me. So having to be online I have no problem with (I love inviting a mate to just jump into my game). The only problem I have is when the drm makes it impossible to play (like when either the login servers are down or the world servers are slow as fuck).

Yeah, this is pretty much why I don't like it. I like the convenience, but I dislike the fact that I get lag spikes. A lot less now, but anything is higher than offline singleplayer, or coop LAN play over my VPN would get. Also I don't like that if my internet goes out I can't play it at all.

All in all, it's performing alright lately, so it doesn't bother me much (Though there was one night I kept getting DCd when me and a friend were in the middle of fights).

edit: Tbh there is one feature I'm always going to miss from D2:

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/images/f/f7/Waypoints1.jpg

Note the tabs for act switching. The quest system works, but it kind of takes away from the feel and immersion of the game when I need to "log off" my character to select a quest then go back in game to do this. I like the quest selecting system, but I think both cover different needs.

Drachenpaladin
23-05-12, 21:33
Hm.. somehow all this does not raise my interest in the game :D
I guess i'll hop on D3 in a few years or so, beyond the story there isn't much that i care for anyway. All that stupid achievement stuff and equip frenzy is unnecessary imho.

Biglines
23-05-12, 22:37
uhm coreinsanity, afaik that tab switching is only going back to a location, not a quest is it?

CoreInsanity
23-05-12, 23:09
uhm coreinsanity, afaik that tab switching is only going back to a location, not a quest is it?

Correct. The tabs switched between act locations, not quests. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I always found that to be useful. I dislike having to logout and switch to an older quest to be able to go somewhere you have already been.

With D2, if I wanted to go kill stuff in that camp you start out in and I was in act 5, I could simply use that and go back. On here, I have to get out of game and lose quest progress by switching to an older quest.

It's not a game breaker, just something I miss about the older ones.

Hm.. somehow all this does not raise my interest in the game :D
I guess i'll hop on D3 in a few years or so, beyond the story there isn't much that i care for anyway. All that stupid achievement stuff and equip frenzy is unnecessary imho.

Pretty much been the whole point of Diablo, and most dungeon crawlers afaik. The story on D3 isn't bad, I just don't like it as much as I liked the story on the first two. They are adding PVP, but I dislike the idea because I fear they are going to start balancing it around that.

Kanedax
24-05-12, 05:35
While the game play is certainly top notch they did do a bunch of stupid shit as far as removing features. Also the cool down on potions pisses me off to no end.

Howler
02-06-12, 15:23
The game is mostly great fun but I miss the necromancers army of skeletons. I also thought the end fight with with the last boss was a tad irritating. In Diablo 2 the end fight with diablo was fun. Feels like you have to kill him twice. It feels very slow which is in contrast to the rest of the fast paced game.

Its a game that I would come back and play again sometime. Defiantly if there was an expansion but once you have played it though a couple of times I will have lost interest in it. Its very linear still its not like an online world like neocron.

It seems a bit silly why you need to connect to their server just to play single player as well.